• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

amar212

mclaren777 said:
If I was crazy-rich I would love to buy Codemaster and re-organize its racing studio into two branches. .....

And you would go bankrupt month after the release of the first IP.

It is not 1999 any more, games cost dozen million+ to develop, not just million or two. There is a great reason why classic sim-market is no more hard-core - and will never be in the way we grown up with it - and the reason is ludicrous cost of development opposite to actual potential of the sales per-IP.

The only way hard-core market for driving games on consoles can survive - with exception of current platform leaders (GT and Forza) which could go for years on current model purely because their overall influence on the market - is transforming the niche into "subscription platform", opposite to current "separate release", in way iRacing is doing it on the PC.

But paradox is that probably those two leaders will be the first to implement such model in years to come, while other "players" in the genre will stay in current model purely because of the costs and actual lack of potential (both content and presentation wise) in order to attract greater number of potential users.

I wrote a few elaborations on that matter in past year and I see no way that your idea can sustain current situation on the market.

You can dream about establishing a hard-core studio that could make all our dreams come true, but reality would kill you instantly.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Shaneus said:
I'm guessing that there won't be much difference b/w 360 and PS3... pretty sure there wasn't one for either Dirt 2 or F1 2010.
The biggest difference was the QAA on the PS3, making the game look a bit blurrier.

hurahn

Neo Member
Damn, some of yall are really something else. Gymkhana existed well before Ken Block. Don't get upset because he saw a way to make money. It's not as popular as you think. Ken Block is more popular than the sport itself. If you like Dirt 3 then support codemasters or just fire up RBR. It's not going anywhere.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anybody know if the PC version supports the Driving Force GT wheel? I think I am going to have to buy this as it has my favourite car in the world in! (The Mini of course)

Kyaw

Label said:
Does anybody know if the PC version supports the Driving Force GT wheel? I think I am going to have to buy this as it has my favourite car in the world in! (The Mini of course)

Yes it does.

Neat :)

Can we customise our licence plates in this game? I'm sure I played a few games in the Xbox Original era which let you do that.

Sethos

Banned
Why was I under the impression game would unlock today? Imagine my disappointment when I got home, opened Steam and saw "Unlocks in 1 day, 4 hours" - Dammit :(

mclaren777

amar212 said:
You can dream about establishing a hard-core studio that could make all our dreams come true, but reality would kill you instantly.
I'd be fine with breaking even or even losing a few million dollars per year.

But most of the tech and art assets would be identical between the May/November releases so I don't think development costs would be too bad. The main differences would be interface, handling, and small tweaks that made each game feel more realistic or "cool".

mxgt

Banned
Sethos said:
Why was I under the impression game would unlock today? Imagine my disappointment when I got home, opened Steam and saw "Unlocks in 1 day, 4 hours" - Dammit :(

Yeah I was hoping it unlocked at midnight.

Sucks.

amar212

mclaren777 said:
I'd be fine with breaking even or even losing a few million dollars per year..

This discussion really belongs in off-topic, but please McL :D

If there was ANY money to be made on hard-core audience, don't you think we would see more hard-core games instead of plague of simcade we're witnessing in past years?

Man, iRacing have only 20.000 subscribers and that is a reality-check figure #1.

You can't make a sustainable model that would cater both casual and hard-core, not even in the unified product and not even to speak about separating same IP into 2 venues. Just look what happened to Shift.

We're talking millions of money here for establishing, developing and introducing a new IP to already oversaturated niche, saying you'd be fine with losing few millions per year is just plain crazy (no insult intended).

However, I would like to cater debate on this, although probably not in the thread that have nothing to do with it.

1-D_FTW

mclaren777 said:
I'd be fine with breaking even or even losing a few million dollars per year.

But most of the tech and art assets would be identical between the May/November releases so I don't think development costs would be too bad. The main differences would be interface, handling, and small tweaks that made each game feel more realistic or "cool".

I think the best you could possibly do would be to release the core game that completely omitted the sim-model, then have DLC for 20 dollars that opened up the sim version. This way you could help pay for the more elaborate driving model and since it's DLC, casuals wouldn't have the psychological issue about sucking at the hardcore mode. This way they could crank it up to the most difficult and still be god with the base game. DLC for 20 bucks and "no content" wouldn't be appealing, so the casuals wouldn't even care about it. There would be no ego bruising involved with this method.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
1-D_FTW said:
I think the best you could possibly do would be to release the core game that completely omitted the sim-model, then have DLC for 20 dollars that opened up the sim version. This way you could help pay for the more elaborate driving model and since it's DLC, casuals wouldn't have the psychological issue about sucking at the hardcore mode. This way they could crank it up to the most difficult and still be god with the base game. DLC for 20 bucks and "no content" wouldn't be appealing, so the casuals wouldn't even care about it. There would be no ego bruising involved with this method.

so, 80 dollars for those of us that would prefer the sim setting? no thanks

Domstercool

Errr, I just got a weird glitch, the graphics and the hud was going at like 2 fps O_O I have it on video as I was recording, uploading now! O_O

1-D_FTW

op_ivy said:
so, 80 dollars for those of us that would prefer the sim setting? no thanks

Vs 60 bucks with no sim setting that we get at present? I'm not advocating you remove anything. I'm saying you ship the base games as they are (with sim-arcade modes if you remove all the aides.) But you then allow a true sim-mode that's available as DLC that's hardcore. It's the only way you'll ever solve the ego-bruising that prevents true sim modes in mainstream titles.

Android18a said:
Neat :)

Can we customise our licence plates in this game? I'm sure I played a few games in the Xbox Original era which let you do that.
I wish.. Far too few games let you do that. Midnight Club: LA is the only this gen game I can think of. Oh maybe Mafia 2 (I know that's not a racing game though.)

Domstercool

You don't buy cars, you just unlock them. I'm not sure what the level is to get that car but I must have had it since halfway through season 2.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
mxgt said:
Fuck yeah Steam unlock just changed from a 1 day to 6 hours

fans_war_face5jxonxxh.gif

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am torn between getting the ps3 version or PC. I have credit on amazon for this but can't buy the pc version on amazon. Damn.

InertiaXr

LeadGandalf said:
I hope this unlocks at midnight on D2D, don't wanna wait til tomorrow after work to play :/

It was suppose to be out the 23rd anyways, no way it can go past midnight still locked.

Top Bottom