• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

mclaren777

Diablohead said:
To not buy dirt 3 because of gymkhana is a bit foolish, all the rally, trailblazer and other rally car events are top notch. Gymkhana is about 5% of this game.

In fact Forza 3 has a gymkhana area in the test grounds, did that turn you off buying or playing that?
I strongly dislike gymkhana in real life and I don't want to financially reward Codemasters as a result.

And I don't own FM3.

mclaren777 said:
GT5 and FM3 are quite far from the true simulation end of the spectrum. They have their place in the market, but they're still not as hardcore as many of us would like.

Dirt 3 falls into that same group--fairly realistic but massively far from an evergreen title like RBR.

GT5 prologue was a lot less forgiving with assists off than gt5.
You are also supposed to use sports 1 tyres if you want sim mode in gt , racing tyres have unrealistic properties.

It's no real sim,but 99.9 percent can't keep their car on the track for half a lap with every assist off in prologue, and neither can 90 percent of the people who finished gt5.
GT5 bothers me though in that a tyre of powerful cars overheat INSTANTLY (and for x seconds) as soon as it loses grip or spins for 0.5 seconds, making it butter on a hot plate even if you regain traction right away.
That and the forced brake stearing physics that are way overdone.
Too much cheating going on.

The rally mode is also extremely punishing with assists off, there is a very very very fine line between having traction and therefore power to the gravel and losing it , especially when going sideways.

I breezed through pretty much all of dirt 2 (most struggling coming from annoying AI cutting off my path or bumping me or rubberbanding like a motherfucker), but the gt5 rally mode had me stumped until I played it with a FF wheel and the force feedback going limp pretty much spelled out for me when I had lost traction.

GT leans close to the sim edge of the spectrum (with plenty of assists to push it to drive yourself mode, though you always at least get car weight and appropriate understeer and stopping distance) , while dirt is closer to the ridge racer side of arcade than to the GT side.

I don't really care for that much realism in a rally game btw, Colin mc rae rally 2 is still my favorite tarmac rally racing game, so awesome the kind of grip you had and how you could do grippy slides and use the weight of the car.

Gt5 rally mode clicking was immensely satisfying , but not for long enough to gold the long nordwand event...

M.W.

mclaren777 said:
I strongly dislike gymkhana in real life and I don't want to financially reward Codemasters as a result.

And I don't own FM3.

This is one of the silliest things I've read on GAF.

mclaren777 said:

And I don't own FM3.

I think it's more your loss than theirs. Maybe you'll consider rewarding them financially a smaller quantity of money, when it's on sale.

1-D_FTW

I guess I don't mind that much as you can skip the drifting, but I do find it a little hypocritical that gaf absolutely bashes the bajeezes out of the X-Games events (I've never watched a single day of X-Games in my life, so I'm no fan), but Gymkhana is cool by many? Don't understand. I detest drifting. It's fine that some people like it, but I wish they'd make drifting games and keep it out of real racing games.

mclaren777 said:

And I don't own FM3.

Like, what is it that you dislike so much? I love it. It's like this and this but with four wheels, a lot of horsepower and intensity.

Quit being such a negative nancy

mclaren777 said:

And I don't own FM3.
If that's your only reason for not wanting to buy this game, I'm sorry but that's absurd.

mclaren777

Branson said:
What's wrong with it?
Gymkhana is for...
1. People who think it's okay to dress like a frat boy well into adulthood
2. People who foolishly think it's cool to keep the bill of a baseball hat laser-straight
3. People who can't drive well enough to win championships but still need to sell apparel to people in categories 1 & 2.
4. People who watch Youtube videos of people in category 3 and then say dumb stuff like "ken block is the chuck norris of rally/drifting"

mclaren777 said:
Gymkhana is for...
2. People who foolishly think it's cool to keep the bill of a baseball hat laser-straight
3. People who can't drive well enough to win championships but still need to sell apparel to people in categories 1 & 2.
4. People who watch Youtube videos of people in category 3 and then say dumb stuff like "ken block is the chuck norris of rally/drifting"

Okay, so DC shoes has kind of changed the image of the sport in a bad way. But if you weren't one of them "Bros"..who the fuck cares?

Just don't go shopping at a Pacsun or Buckle.

Dilly

Banned
So because I enjoy seeing Ken Block's driving on those closed terrains, you think I'm an idiot? I'm not a dudebro but I enjoy Block's videos.

I tend to forget how irritating racing sim purists are, thanks for reminding me.

Sethos

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Gymkhana is for...

Perhaps it's time to, I don't know, find another thread to shit in?

mclaren777 said:
Gymkhana is for...
:lol

2m31abs.jpg

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
mclaren777 said:
Gymkhana is for...
Lol. You're right, but this is getting waaaay off topic. :p

AEREC

1-D_FTW said:
I guess I don't mind that much as you can skip the drifting, but I do find it a little hypocritical that gaf absolutely bashes the bajeezes out of the X-Games events (I've never watched a single day of X-Games in my life, so I'm no fan), but Gymkhana is cool by many? Don't understand. I detest drifting. It's fine that some people like it, but I wish they'd make drifting games and keep it out of real racing games.

I dont mind the x-games aspect of the game I just dont care for the dude-bro commentary from Travis Pastrana or whoever else was doing it.

mclaren777

Codemasters said that they might consider releasing a demo after the game ships.

Has anybody heard anything more about that?

mclaren777

Square Triangle said:
If it has gymkhana in it, will you download it?
If the demo is nothing but gymkhana, no, I won't download it.

But I can't imagine that Codemasters is foolish enough to do something like that.

MJLord

mclaren777 said:
The gymkhana stuff is one of the major reasons why I won't be buying this game.

Your loss

Looks a great improvement on Dirt 2. One thing though, what happened to doing an actual rally season like the old Colin Mcrae ?

mclaren777

MJLord said:
One thing though, what happened to doing an actual rally season like the old Colin Mcrae ?
I think Codemasters has abandoned that old CMR concept for good, and that's the primary reason why I won't be buying Dirt 3.

MJLord

mclaren777 said:
I think Codemasters has abandoned that old CMR concept for good, and that's the primary reason why I won't be buying Dirt 3.

Seems a bit of a petty reason not to get it though. Especially with car roster as it is and the Kenyan rally stage, snow stages and a whole more rally than the other Dirt games .

MJLord said:
Seems a bit of a petty reason not to get it though. Especially with car roster as it is and the Kenyan rally stage, snow stages and a whole more rally than the other Dirt games .
I don't know. Still sounds like Dirt 1 had more rallying. Lots of tracks and they were long.

MJLord

Neuromancer said:
I don't know. Still sounds like Dirt 1 had more rallying. Lots of tracks and they were long.

Possibly, its been that long since I played Dirt 1 I cant really remember it. It would be nice to see a return to the WRC by codemasters though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Neuromancer said:

it did. shame the engine wasnt up to snuff back then (performance wise... still looked ok) and the handling was trash.

codemasters has mentioned that there is a possibility of new locations for dlc, so hopefully we'll see some cmr/wrc environments make a return. i want the english countryside, france, and some rainy japan =)

mclaren777

If I was crazy-rich I would love to buy Codemaster and re-organize its racing studio into two branches. The larger portion would focus primarily on the engine technology and the art assets. The smaller branch would be divided into teams for each of the IPs (GRID, DiRT, and F1).

Each franchise would have two releases in every third year. The first release of each calendar year would launch in May and it would be the more hardcore, sim-ey version of the franchise. The second release would be the more mainstream title and it would launch just prior to Thanksgiving. The only exception would be the F1 games--they would only have one release in August of its respective release year.

The hardcore games would also get large content updates in the form of DLC packs when the mainstream versions launched (additional cars, liveries, etc).

Based on common predictions of the next generation of consoles...
2014 -- GRID EX
May: more hardcore than GT5/FM3 with heavy emphasis on real-world racing disciplines
November: roughly equivalent to GRID but with easier progression and more helpful driving aids

2015 -- DiRT EX
May: something on par with Richard Burns Rally that visited all countries on the WRC calendar
November: roughly equivalent to DiRT but with even more X-Games attitude and Flatout-esque minigames

2016 - Formula One 2016
August: F1 fans are typically hardcore so it would be like GRID EX (May) but with selectable driving aids

1-D_FTW

op_ivy said:
it did. shame the engine wasnt up to snuff back then (performance wise... still looked ok) and the handling was trash.

codemasters has mentioned that there is a possibility of new locations for dlc, so hopefully we'll see some cmr/wrc environments make a return. i want the english countryside, france, and some rainy japan =)

I bought it cheaply on Steam ages ago and have never had the heart to boot it up. I just can't go back to the controller and everyone talks of how horrible the wheel support is. Such a shame.

mclaren777

1-D_FTW said:
I bought it cheaply on Steam ages ago and have never had the heart to boot it up. I just can't go back to the controller and everyone talks of how horrible the wheel support is. Such a shame.
I may have a surprise for you within the next couple days. :)

1-D_FTW

mclaren777 said:
I may have a surprise for you within the next couple days. :)

If by surprise you're talking some kind of mod, that would be awesome. Pretty much gave up any hope of that happening.

I replayed the dirt 1 demo on my 360 about 2-3 weeks back, man I remember when that demo was hot shit and looked great for a next gen racer, it still looks good but a lot of modern day effects are missing from it, and the handling felt a bit crap.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So diablohead you already got the game? Damn man Im jealous LOL. Hey can you talk about the FFB and how it feels compared to D2? What wheel are you using?

isamu said:
So diablohead you already got the game? Damn man Im jealous LOL. Hey can you talk about the FFB and how it feels compared to D2? What wheel are you using?
pc version from saturday, 360 controller, all cars feel like dirt 2 with improvements.

Shaneus

Anyone know if Steam *ever* unlocks before the game is launched? It's preloaded and ready to go... I just can't wait any longer!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
mclaren777 said:

Your loss. Dirt3 is the closest in spirit to the old CMR series that dirt has gotten so far. Still a ways to go but miles better than the last games horrible attempt. As for the Gymkarna stuff? It's a fun test of skills lernt in the rally stages. The party modes are also fun.

You're missing out because of your childish preconceived notions and that's both funny and sad.but hey, you want to pretend to be better than all the foolish bros. Good for you I guess.

The game rocks. End of story.

Shaneus

I'm guessing that there won't be much difference b/w 360 and PS3... pretty sure there wasn't one for either Dirt 2 or F1 2010.

AgentOtaku said:
I'm sure there won't be. Still curious though...

I'm always curious with any multiplatform release but generally the EGO engine runs the same on both as mentioned. I'll update upon any lens of truth info!

Top Bottom