• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
AEREC said:
-too many damn voice overs and still way too much use of "Dude," "Awesome," and "Nice."

I really miss the presentation of games like Rallisport Challenge 2...at this point the only things dragging this game down for me are the presenation aspects which isnt a terrible thing...but damn, I just hate the Dude-bro vibe the dirt series puts out.

Maybe CM can patch in a Dude-bro "off" setting =)
Damn. In that case I may not even get this game. I can't can't the stupid fucking voice overs and the fact you can't skip them. You HAVE to sit there and listen to Dave Mira tell you what a fucking racing god you are and then whatever other idiots are jabbering on about wanting to race you, then some stupid talk and meteor-landing polaroids every time you get/unlock anything, then course introductions every single new course, etc, etc. And you can skip past some stuff like race replays at the end but you can't just turn them off entirely. I just hate all the stupid waiting around for the dudebro presentation to finally shut up so I can race again.

InertiaXr

Dice said:
Damn. In that case I may not even get this game. I can't can't the stupid fucking voice overs and the fact you can't skip them. You HAVE to sit there and listen to Dave Mira tell you what a fucking racing god you are and then whatever other idiots are jabbering on about wanting to race you, then some stupid talk and meteor-landing polaroids every time you get/unlock anything, then course introductions every single new course, etc, etc. And you can skip past some stuff like race replays at the end but you can't just turn them off entirely. I just hate all the stupid waiting around for the dudebro presentation to finally shut up so I can race again.

Yup, I agree with you and the guy above about the same stuff. At this point in the Dirt series the actual act of racing is perfectly competent and the part I throughly enjoy, Codemasters just can't seem to understand the universal backlash to the overdone menus/dudebro attitude stuff and take it out. Maybe it brings in more sales from CoD-kids than it loses from guys you, and if that's the case we will never be able to rid ourselves of it.

Anyways, does anybody else think the extra rep bonuses are a little arbitrary? When they are things like 'jump 295 feet' it doesn't even give you a little meter in-race to tell where you are, plus you can't tell what they are until after you pick a car and load into a race. Not that I mind them, I've been picking the race team every race that has the biggest rep bonus which is cool.

epmode

The unskippable dialogue is just strange. I'm not sure why they figured that no one would want to just get to the stupid race. Easily patched or modded, I hope.

There was a mod for dirt 2 which allowed you to edit events and races, thinking about it someone (if possible) could make the same mod for dirt 3 and build a custom rally tournament, i'd hit it for sure.

How is the replay features and Youtube intergration?

I ask mainly because I'm curious about how it will be in F1 2011. It sounds interesting but I'm guessing it will be horribly compressed? And can you view replays of online races?

I'm probably expecting too much and will have to rely on FRAPS for F1 2011, but hey!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Diablohead said:
There was a mod for dirt 2 which allowed you to edit events and races
If you mean to edit out the dudebro, I would love this.

epmode

DenogginizerOS said:
Does the launcher assess your system the first time you load the game and give you recommended settings?
There's no launcher but the game does automatically alter settings based on your hardware.

Ermmm, why is it that DX11 at 4x MSAA looks better than 8x Supersampling AA?
Is DX11 generally really that good? I thought SSAA was the ultimate in image quality............not that I'm complaining :p

AMD 6950 user here.

mxgt

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
How is the replay features and Youtube intergration?

I ask mainly because I'm curious about how it will be in F1 2011. It sounds interesting but I'm guessing it will be horribly compressed? And can you view replays of online races?

I'm probably expecting too much and will have to rely on FRAPS for F1 2011, but hey!

You can't even upload an entire replay - only a section of it.

Pretty worthless, imo.

Xander51

mxgt said:
You can't even upload an entire replay - only a section of it.

Pretty worthless, imo.

Agreed. You can only take a small chunk of the replay and it tops out at 480p resolution. It works decently fast on the PC version at least. That's really the only positive thing I can say about it.

Gandie

Wtf, I'm only getting 12-14 fps with a 2500k and a 1GB 460 with all settings on high. My GPU is running at 98 % capacity. This can't be right?

Railer

Picked it up for PS3 today and been playing for around 1½ hours so far. Really enjoy the game so far. Looks great too.

Played it for 20 mins before my Dad kicked me off to watch Eggheads.

Liking it a lot. Turned all those assists off, I found they actually seemed to hold me back. I came 4th in a race with them on and 1st without them.

Kinda miss the trailer park and all the info on achievements and stuff in the loading screens. The camera-panning on the car is kind of uninteresting to look at. I liked the map screen and the photos and stuff. I do like the colour scheme of the menus though, that's nice and easy on the eyes.

The tutorial videos aren't too long, but I wish they were skippable. I like how the voiceover people are British, American and Australian to easily tell who's speaking.

InertiaXr

LeadGandalf said:
Wtf, I'm only getting 12-14 fps with a 2500k and a 1GB 460 with all settings on high. My GPU is running at 98 % capacity. This can't be right?

Try turning off/down ambient occlusion, cloth, water, post processing. I have a 2500k/460 as well and I set it to auto-ultra and was also getting 10-15fps, but I turned that stuff down and now I get 60 fps locked with GPU at about 45-50% capacity.

Android18a said:
Played it for 20 mins before my Dad kicked me off to watch Eggheads.
Terrible program!

This is the first racing game I've ever bought and I love it.

If you're playing it with the HUD and assists on, you're doing it wrong.

cackhyena

I haven't been following the Dirt series at all. tried the first for a rental back in the day. Saw the QL. This looks like a lot of fun. I never tried Hot Pursuit out either. I'm wondering which I'd dig more.

1-D_FTW

Those numbers are awful. Have you guys with the GTX 460s tried the latest 275.27 beta drivers?

My decision to wait for the summer sale seems wise now. Hopefully they'll patch the bugs out by next month.

Dice said:

That pissed me off to no end in Shift unleashed, just terrible.
I thought codemasters would know better, gona wait a week or two for some community member to mod that shit out.

cackhyena said:
I haven't been following the Dirt series at all. tried the first for a rental back in the day. Saw the QL. This looks like a lot of fun. I never tried Hot Pursuit out either. I'm wondering which I'd dig more.

Hot Pursuit is fun but it made a huge difficulty curve in the middle of the progression period of the SP. Maybe it was just me, but it just got increasingly frustrating.

That and I enjoy the rally sport more than fast exotic cars crashing.

Gandie

InertiaXr said:
Try turning off/down ambient occlusion, cloth, water, post processing. I have a 2500k/460 as well and I set it to auto-ultra and was also getting 10-15fps, but I turned that stuff down and now I get 60 fps locked with GPU at about 45-50% capacity.

Yeah, fixed it by setting post processing down to medium, rest to high. I get about 80-90 frames now. Thanks!

The game is gorgeous, the menus, the cars, lighting. Absolutely breathtaking.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Absolutely loving the game so far - Dirt games always feel super polished. I do wish I could skip past some of the camera pans at the start of the race and just get going... dunno, perhaps it's loading during that time?

My one disappointment is the soundtrack. I absolutely loved the one in Dirt 2, it really pumped me up to race. This one just sounds like generic electronic / guitar / blah. Really dull and boring in comparison. Is there any way to do custom soundtracks on the PC? I don't really know if GFWL offers that... I'd love to sub in the Dirt 2 OST though.

Benchmark says 62 avg fps, 57 minimum, everything maxed @1680x1050 16xaa, on this config: i5 750, gtx480, 4gb ram.

Pretty good and the game looks stunning.

InertiaXr

Vilam said:
Absolutely loving the game so far - Dirt games always feel super polished. I do wish I could skip past some of the camera pans at the start of the race and just get going... dunno, perhaps it's loading during that time?

My one disappointment is the soundtrack. I absolutely loved the one in Dirt 2, it really pumped me up to race. This one just sounds like generic electronic / guitar / blah. Really dull and boring in comparison. Is there any way to do custom soundtracks on the PC? I don't really know if GFWL offers that... I'd love to sub in the Dirt 2 OST though.

Well you can always just play music in the background. I have everything turned well down in game while listening to prior Bombcast's with only the car engine sounds in the background being audible from the game.

Edit: This shit won't stop crashing, 3 times this morning now. Twice during basic loading screens between races and once when alt tabbing back in-game.

saladine1

I'm going to have to say it again.....what a tremendous job by the Codemasters audio team!
The engine/exhaust notes, the turbo spool, the wastegate chatter, BOV..etc sound amazing compared to their previous games.
Helios, tell the team to pat themselves on the back for their efforts!

1-D_FTW

InertiaXr said:
Well you can always just play music in the background. I have everything turned well down in game while listening to prior Bombcast's with only the car engine sounds in the background being audible from the game.

Edit: This shit won't stop crashing, 3 times this morning now. Twice during basic loading screens between races and once when alt tabbing back in-game.

Sounds like the DX11 issue people had with Dirt 2 and F12010. Are you running an Nvidia card? If this is the issue, and it's like the previous games, setting the .ini file to DX9=True will solve this (by forcing it to run DX9). Obviously means you're not running DX11.

If it's any consolation, it's completely random and some days you won't have a single crash. Other days the wheel of fate is more harsh and you load crash every other race.

InertiaXr

1-D_FTW said:
Sounds like the DX11 issue people had with Dirt 2 and F12010. Are you running an Nvidia card? If this is the issue, and it's like the previous games, setting the .ini file to DX9=True will solve this (by forcing it to run DX9). Obviously means you're not running DX11.

If it's any consolation, it's completely random and some days you won't have a single crash. Other days the wheel of fate is more harsh and you load crash every other race.

Yeah, I have a GTX 460. Any idea where the .ini for Dirt 3 is? Not in My Games->Dirt 3 nor in the Steam->Dirt 3 folder. It indeed seems random so far, just had my 4th and that's why I'm back here. Even weirder is that I never had any crashes with Dirt 2 in my 30 hours and I'm pretty sure I always ran that in DX11.

1-D_FTW

InertiaXr said:
Yeah, I have a GTX 460. Any idea where the .ini for Dirt 3 is? Not in My Games->Dirt 3 nor in the Steam->Dirt 3 folder. It indeed seems random so far, just had my 4th and that's why I'm back here. Even weirder is that I never had any crashes with Dirt 2 in my 30 hours and I'm pretty sure I always ran that in DX11.

Should be Documents - My Games - Dirt 3 - Hardware settings.

I don't have Dirt 3, but that's where Dirt 2 and F1 2010 are.

EDIT: You say you've looked in Documents - My Games? I wonder if they encrypted it? Or maybe it's just a hidden file? Freakin' GFWL.

InertiaXr

1-D_FTW said:

EDIT: You say you've looked in Documents - My Games? I wonder if they encrypted it? Or maybe it's just a hidden file? Freakin' GFWL.

Yeah under Documents-Games-Dirt 3-hardwaresettings is a couple of xml files hardware_settings_config.xml and _info.xml

Edit: Yup thanks Milpool, I changed it to true hope I get no more crashes now!

Milpool

1-D_FTW said:

It is in '\Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings\', there's a file called 'hardware_settings_config.xml' containing '<directx forcedx9="false"/>'.

dirt3game20110524195723.png

Maxed out 4xAA, GTX285. Runs like a dream btter than Dirt 2 even.

Edit:1680x1050

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm I'm getting ~75 fps with all settings max ( except AO ) and 4x msaa with one OCed gtx 560 ti enabled.

Is that right ? What are people getting @ 1080p + same settings I used.

Top Bottom