• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

derFeef

Everything max setting including Ultra AO and 8XAA @ 1920x1200 - I am getting 55-75 fps according to the benchmark. 6970 + 3,9ghz quad, so I am a happy chappy. With 4XAA and vsync I am getting a buttery smooth experience. Game is very well optimized.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Corky said:
Hmm I'm getting ~75 fps with all settings max ( except AO ) and 4x msaa with one OCed gtx 560 ti enabled.

Is that right ? What are people getting @ 1080p + same settings I used.
I'll tell you later.

I'm on PS3. Loving it. The box says its 720p, I thought it ran at 1080? Oh wells.

It's pretty awesome. Seems tougher than Dirt 2 too. I've had to retry a lot of races, and I'm on Casual (with assists off).

amrod

great game... If you do casual though it has auto steering and breaking on, kept coming in first...

bumped it up to the next level and now I'm 4th or 5th heh

DoomGyver

FYI for PS3 G27 users, you have to turn off controller 1 (DS3) and then press select on the G27.. then the advanced wheel options will show up.

I SAY, YAY for FULL G27 support.

Android18a said:
I'm on PS3. Loving it. The box says its 720p, I thought it ran at 1080? Oh wells.

It's pretty awesome. Seems tougher than Dirt 2 too. I've had to retry a lot of races, and I'm on Casual (with assists off).
Is the framerate solid? Also, have you tried online yet? I'm thinking of getting two copies to gift to a rally-fanatic friend of mine so that we can play online, but I want to know if the online implementation is proper. Thanks!

I'm running triplescreen Eyefinity at 5760x1200, on an i7-2600K (@ 4.5Ghz) with a single 6970. When I played the first track I thought there was something really messed up, the game ran pretty badly. Benchmarking gave me an average of 27fps. After half an hour experimenting with the settings, I found out that the killer is post-processing. With everything else maxed, I get 58fps avg with it set to low, 53fps at medium and 27fps with it at high. I'm not too surprised with that, there are a lot of pixels to process at that res!

Enjoying the game so far, but I played Dirt 2 a LOT so it's going to take some time to get used to the new handling model. So far so good though.

Xander51

Am I the only person that kind of misses the goofy banter between racers during the race from the last game? This new one feels more clinical and austere, but I'm still enjoying it.

FunkyPajamas said:
Is the framerate solid? Also, have you tried online yet? I'm thinking of getting two copies to gift to a rally-fanatic friend of mine so that we can play online, but I want to know if the online implementation is proper. Thanks!

Yeah it's fine mostly. Had a few framerate drops during hectic parts of Land Rush races in the rain, but thats about it.

Klocker said:
any console peasants pick this up yet?

:/

Yip. 360 version. It's gorgeous (as in, best looking racer on the console), plays like a dream, and is - based on the first hour of play - exactly what I wanted from it, frankly.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Put in a couple hours. LOVE IT! Very fun game. As mentioned, Codemasters still included some dudebro speak, but it's way less than it was in DiRT 2. The Gymkhana (or whatever the fuck) is where most of the "You're doing great, amigo!" speak is.

Racing at night in Aspen, during a heavy snow, in buggies, though, more than makes up for it.

On my piddly-soon-to-be-replaced rig (Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon 4890 @ 900/1100) I get max fps 49, min fps 41 on the graphics test. That's at 1920x1080, everything maxed.

Full Recovery said:
FYI for PS3 G27 users, you have to turn off controller 1 (DS3) and then press select on the G27.. then the advanced wheel options will show up.

I SAY, YAY for FULL G27 support.

can you set the wheel past codemasters favoured 180 limit?

Omiee

Just got this for pc today.
I have a question though. Is it normal im only getting 45 fps in the cockpit in the first race.
i have a 2500k and 2 6950's running in crossfire, and everything to max with 8msaa.

DoomGyver

Wax Free Vanilla said:
can you set the wheel past codemasters favoured 180 limit?
Not seeing any wheel rotation adjustments.

You can customize:

all button mapping

steering Deadzone
steering saturation
steering linearity ---- what is this? it's not a percentage, default is 4. it goes from -10 to +10
throttle deadzone
throttle saturation
brake deadzone
brake saturation

auto/manual sequential/ H pattern/ manual H + clutch

Force feedback %
Vibration strength %
Wheel strength %
Wheel weight %

Loxley

PS3 version is runs terrifically based on a few hours of play. Really enjoying it the game, well done Codemasters.

*edit, Yeah, there's still the one Dudebro who I want to punch every time he opens his mouth, but overall the larger emphasis on the Euro aesthetic was the right way to go, even as an American I much prefer this over Dirt 2's Xtreme Sp0rtz approach. The game feels much..eh, classier (?) as a result.

Shaneus

Xander51 said:
Am I the only person that kind of misses the goofy banter between racers during the race from the last game? This new one feels more clinical and austere, but I'm still enjoying it.
I sort of agree with you. The game itself is almost definitely better but it seems to lack a certain "personality" of the second one.

InertiaXr

Anybody playing this on PC have a wheel? I thought for a while about getting a wheel for Dirt 2 and this may push me further towards that.

Omiee said:
I have a question though. Is it normal im only getting 45 fps in the cockpit in the first race.
i have a 2500k and 2 6950's running in crossfire, and everything to max with 8msaa.

Probably post processing on high/ultra that's bogging your fps down.

So now that some of you have had it for a while.
Is it interesting/fun/deep enough gameplay wise?

Dirt2 felt kinda shallow and I was bored of it much faster than of any older CMR games.

Omiee

InertiaXr said:
Anybody playing this on PC have a wheel? I thought for a while about getting a wheel for Dirt 2 and this may push me further towards that.

Probably post processing on high/ultra that's bogging your fps down.

no thats locked to medium.

should i turn vsync off?

Nabs

Omiee said:

Sanjay had the same problem with SLI 460s.

InertiaXr

Omiee said:
no thats locked to medium.

should i turn vsync off?

If your only getting 45fps I'd keep vsync on as otherwise you will just get some tearing.

Your situation sounds weird, I'm running a 2500k/460 and get 60fps locked at about 45-50% GPU usage everything at ultra/high and post processing at low.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I looked at the past 3 pages and didn't see it:

dirt-3-vinny-flip.gif

Drew re-tweeted it earlier today.

Omiee

InertiaXr said:
If your only getting 45fps I'd keep vsync on as otherwise you will just get some tearing.

Your situation sounds weird, I'm running a 2500k/460 and get 60fps locked at about 45-50% GPU usage everything at ultra/high and post processing at low.

i have post processing on medium because i cant set it on high or ultra.
also i have 8msaa on and everything on high/ultra.
and i get 58fps to 60fps from the back view, but only 45 fps in the cockpit.

betweenthewheels said:
Can someone recommend which driving assists I should enable/disable to resemble the assist level of Dirt 2?

To be honest, turn them all off. Just try it. I found that to resemble Dirt 2 the most.

Just done Gymkhana's first season with all the tutorials. I'm absolutely awful at the drift gates, I can barely even aim to get through them sideways. Pretty cool though, I finally know how to donut!

Orgun

Oh man, I just did 4 hours of multiplayer with Acridmeat. Sooo fucking good.

Suprisingly, the Gymkhana modes are my favourite at the moment. Especially Transporter (CTF). It's a lot of work with a wheel though hehe, loads of correcting.

mr stroke

Omiee said:

try newest drivers? or make sure both your cards are running in CF?

I have about the same system and getting a solid 60+ @2560x1600

InertiaXr

Orgun said:

Suprisingly, the Gymkhana modes are my favourite at the moment. Especially Transporter (CTF). It's a lot of work with a wheel though hehe, loads of correcting.

What's your Steam ID? I'm still working through the career but will probably be getting into the online stuff in a day or two.

derFeef

Kenya is my favourite in terms of looks, really gorgeous.
Again, no-HUD is fantastic and I thank codemasters for that option.
Played a few races with a friend online, really tight!

Hixx

Rented it today, got in at about 7 and have just stopped playing, nearly 3 and a half hours in one sitting, on a racer... probably the first time it's ever happened. Loving it so far, felt way too loose at the start but a few tweaks etc and all was good. However, the game crashing when you bring up the dashboard in game is not good. Three times now :(

Full Recovery said:
Not seeing any wheel rotation adjustments.

You can customize:

all button mapping

steering Deadzone
steering saturation
steering linearity ---- what is this? it's not a percentage, default is 4. it goes from -10 to +10
throttle deadzone
throttle saturation
brake deadzone
brake saturation

auto/manual sequential/ H pattern/ manual H + clutch

Force feedback %
Vibration strength %
Wheel strength %
Wheel weight %

god damn assholes, we have wheels capable of 900 but they still program the steering range in their racing games for a gt force. i don't understand.

thanks for typing up the options.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Orgun said:

LOL man. I think we were at the same server. ;) i was the joker guy.

Orgun

Sn4ke_911 said:
LOL man. I think we were at the same server. ;) i was the joker guy.

Lol yep, that was me and Acrid in there. I was so gutted when I got disconnected after we won the first game. Too much fun.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Xander51 said:

That's the first thing I turned off in Dirt 2, absolutely hated it. The menus and all that never bothered me though, I kind of miss them.

AcridMeat

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I forgot about CTF and the infection mode. How good are they?

Just spent about an hour in transporter (CTF) with Orgun. It is damn good, extremely hectic and fun. Haven't tried infection yet. Invasion is pretty fun as well though.

and remmeber PC-GAF if you're interested

AcridMeat said:
I just created a Dirt 3 GAF group, but I could use a nice banner to go along with it.

edit: I think the logo now will suffice just fine. :)

Something I discovered today while playing which blew my mind, there are server browsers! If you go into jam session and hit custom search it will pop up a a list of all the servers, I expected it to randomly pick one. Game is winning me over in pretty much every way.

spicy cho

Omiee said:
No, you should be getting way more because I'm getting that at 1600p with a 6970 at the same settings. Likely needs a cf profile, maybe rename the exe to dirt2 or see what others are doing. God i hate multi gpu setups...

mr stroke

Man they should have made Dirt 3 Kenya. The Kenya levels look so amazing. Feels like I am driving through Far Cry 2

mclaren777

Full Recovery said:
I hated the DiRT 2 demo with my G27 because the FFB was unrealistically violent. Is this game really that much better?

Top Bottom