• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Gandie

dirt3_game%202011-05-25%2000-12-21-64.png

Trailblazer. I'm speechless, the atmosphere in those races, you alone against the road, no assists, no map, not even a co-driver.

jergrah

Im LTTP with Dirt 2 and playing through it now. As soon as I finish up the career mode Ill be picking up 3 for PS3 so I can use it with my wheel. Looks great!

Pimpbaa

Omiee said:
i have post processing on medium because i cant set it on high or ultra.
also i have 8msaa on and everything on high/ultra.
and i get 58fps to 60fps from the back view, but only 45 fps in the cockpit.

I have post processing on ultra with 60fps from the back view, but I have ambient occlusion set to low and AA at 2X

Erebus

Game looks gorgeous and runs at about 50-60fps on ultra settings for me (Q9550 and GTX 460 1GB), however, I'm experiencing random crashes during the race/return to menu loading screens. Any ideas why this happens?

Another minor nuisance is that the game always starts with windowed mode and I have to press Alt+Enter to switch to full-screen mode every time.

Trouble

Banned
Kicking myself for not upgrading my video card before this came out. Still it looks surprisingly good on my GTS 250.

How much of an improvement are the visuals compared to 2? (pc)

Also what are my other options for digital download since Steam and D2D versions are region locked atm.

L0st Id3ntity said:
How much of an improvement are the visuals compared to 2? (pc)

Also what are my other options for digital download since Steam and D2D versions are region locked atm.

Technically they're on par except for one big detail, weather on Dirt 3. It looks better because the team could get more out of the engine though.

InertiaXr

DarkUSS said:
Game looks gorgeous and runs at about 50-60fps on ultra settings for me (Q9550 and GTX 460 1GB), however, I'm experiencing random crashes during the race/return to menu loading screens. Any ideas why this happens?

Another minor nuisance is that the game always starts with windowed mode and I have to press Alt+Enter to switch to full-screen mode every time.

Crashes are probably due to DX11, I run a 460 as well and crashed 4 times in about 5 hours today, I forced it to DX9 and it's all good so far.

1-D_FTW

DarkUSS said:

I'm beginning to wonder if EVERYONE who has the crashes on Codemasters games in DX11 is running a GTX 460. Try setting the DX9=true in the ini. For more directions on where it is, look on the last page.

Although if you're crashing during actual races, maybe this is something else. This is basically crashing during loads before/after races.

epmode

Yeah, I was getting intermittent crashes on a GTX 570 until I switched to DX9 mode. It would mostly happen when switching to/from fullscreen mode.

I haven't played with 9 long enough to know for sure if it fixed the problem for good but no crashes yet.

Erebus

1-D_FTW said:
I'm beginning to wonder if EVERYONE who has the crashes on Codemasters games in DX11 is running a GTX 460. Try setting the DX9=true in the ini. For more directions on where it is, look on the last page.

Although if you're crashing during actual races, maybe this is something else. This is basically crashing during loads before/after races.
Yep, that's exactly what I meant. It has never crashed during the gameplay thus far. Let's hope they will release a patch or something if this is a common issue because I don't want to use DX9 on one of the few games that actually support DX11. :p

1-D_FTW

DarkUSS said:
Yep, that's exactly what I meant. It has never crashed during the gameplay thus far. Let's hope they will release a patch or something if this is a common issue because I don't want to use DX9 on one of the few games that actually support DX11. :p

I wouldn't count on it. I made myself a total nuisance complaining in the F1 2010 thread and it was never addressed. This same issue is still in Dirt 2 and F1 2010. It's part of the reason I didn't buy at launch. They upped the price by 10 dollars and I figured this would still be an issue. I'd love to play with gaf, but these issues require sale price for me to buy.

P.S. If you go in the config, you can change fullscreen=true and that should eliminate your windowed problem at startup problem.

EDIT: And F1 2010 ran like crap for me in DX9. Loads were like 10 times longer and there was frequent micro stutter of .5-1.5 seconds in corners (that was gone in DX11). Nothing like crashing into a wall because you momentarily locked up to cause some real rage posts.

hm my pc is running hot again, seems to be this game or something related. I have some new fans coming tomorrow so i'll turn my pc case into an ice box if I need too :)

Good racing with who I played just now, game dropped me so i'll stop for a bit.

mclaren777

Diablohead said:
hm my pc is running hot again, seems to be this game or something related. I have some new fans coming tomorrow so i'll turn my pc case into an ice box if I need too :)
I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus on my 2600K and temps never get above 60° C.

Amazon
XPgdY.jpg

Sysgen

DarkUSS said:

This problem was prevalent in DIRT2 and it's still there?

Erebus

Sysgen said:
This problem was prevalent in DIRT2 and it's still there?
Apparently yes. I made a quick search:

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...14/465219-game-keeps-crashing-under-dx11.html
http://community.codemasters.com/fo...uent-crashes-dirt-2-running-directx-11-a.html
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325918&page=1

Plus you can find several similar reports in the official bug reporting thread of Dirt 3 at the Codemasters forums:

Here is my bug report.

In DX11 mode, as Dirt 2, the game freezes randomly during loading screen before and after a race. The bug is very frequent and I rseolve only plaing in DX9, but I want to play in DX11.

Occasional crashes (Dirt3 has stopped responding) when a race has loaded and the opening sequence is being played showing the track and car. Has only happened twice in my 3 or so hours of game play.

Detailed description of bug:
The game crashes to Desktop during loading a track/race or main menu (after a race). Usually this happens about the same time as the loading screen camera animation moves from the competition logo to the car. I have tried using both Rapture3D and Software Audio. No hacks or tricks with the game's DirectX mode. Using DX11 and 1920x1200 / Ultra Preset / 2xAA, and Xbox 360 gamepad as a controller.

The bug: As in Dirt 2, the game crash very often during loading screen before and after a race.
The game freezes and I must close it using the task manager.

I'm very disappointed about this because it's a very annoysing bug.

The only way to resolve is to force the game in dx9 mode editing the config xml file.

It's not a real solution because it has no sence since the game is created to be played with DX11 video card.

I hope codemasters can resolve this very soon.

What a mess.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so good, and more realistic then i was expecting - a far better drive then dirt 2 (and i loved that!)

the graphics are a big step up as well! i think most improved is the textures, which are super sharp this time out. beautiful game.

i love the return of head 2 head :)

rally cross though is retarded with 3 laps and starting in last. its just a battle to pass the ai, where ever you can, before the race is over. no finesse at all. heres to hoping for far more laps in latter events (funny, someone was complaining earlier that there are too many :p)

Oneself

I got the PS3 version today.

Don't worry about the quality of the "port"; it looks great. If there are differences between the console versions, I guess they'll be quite small (see Dirt2). In fact, it doesn't seem to improve much from Dirt2 visually. I'm still searching for clues..
It runs at a rock-solid 30fps, no tearing except in the menu&setup screens. Pretty much everything looks great except "humans", including drivers, that look straight out of a PSP game.

Other than that, I love the new controls, it's still "Dirt-like" but it feels more realistic in some ways.. I guess experienced Dirt2 players will feel right at home after the 1st race. Overall quite pleasing so far.

It doesn't seem to have that "personality" the 2nd game had though; the menus, colors schemes, tints, etc. remind me of Blur a lot.. it's indeed more than ok, it's masterfully done here I should say (I guess Codemasters are also Menumasters) but it does lose a bit of immersion when compared to Dirt2.

Edit: Sorry, there are some frame rate drops here & there when you're behind the pack in a snow track for example but it's nothing major.

1-D_FTW

DarkUSS said:

The thing that irks me is, Codemasters and Helios_CM don't even seem to care. It's clearly a well known issue. I would love to provide them with the MS error crash reports (that mean nothing to me, but must provide some quality answers to engineers), but silence is the approach they take. Don't acknowledge it's an issue. Maybe it's not even their fault. Maybe they could place the blame on Nvidia and provide them the evidence of what needs addressing in drivers. But it's just crickets.

Smokey

Downloading this from steam nao

Gonna have to play with 360 pad first before I pull out dat g27 (in storage).

edit: glad to see the fucking dx11 problems after i just bought the game :/

moojuice

Neo Member
Great, 360 version keeps freezing on the load screen after the very first race. Tried it three times, froze every time, then tried turning off autosave, still froze fourth time. I'll try uninstalling it then racing to see if that fixes it after I don't feel like snapping the disc in half anymore.

Omiee said:
Just got this for pc today.
I have a question though. Is it normal im only getting 45 fps in the cockpit in the first race.
i have a 2500k and 2 6950's running in crossfire, and everything to max with 8msaa.

probably should wait for a Dirt 3 CF profile hotfix from ATI.

conman

PS3 version. Some big technical issues:

1) On impact (with other car or barrier), I get a lot of video noise. Also happens during the replays. I can even replay a race and get that video noise to repeat at the exact same moments. Looks like colored static. Not sure if that's happening to everyone, or if it's a sign that my PS3 is on the way out. But the fact that it only happens during impact and during replays makes me think it's the game.

2) I'm experiencing more-than-occasional slowdown. Happens when there's a lot on screen (so mostly in tight corners during circuit races). Framerate drops considerably. Nothing game-breaking, but it's enough to be really annoying.

3) Not so much an "issue" as it is an annoyance. But, my god, the load times are awful. Not sure if this is just the PS3 version, but it's much worse than in prior Codemasters racers.

Also, I'm getting a strange issue with the road/tire physics:

1) I'm often catching an outside tire in the road through a turn. Seems to be more than "realism" would justify. I'll take a corner at speed, brake, turn in, and then try to straighten and accelerate out, but my outside tire gets totally stuck and drives me into the inside barrier. It's like oversteer, but ten times worse. Am I imagining this?

Oneself

conman said:
PS3 version. Some big technical issues:

1) On impact (with other car or barrier), I get a lot of video noise. Also happens during the replays. I can even replay a race and get that video noise to repeat at the exact same moments. Looks like colored static. Not sure if that's happening to everyone, or if it's a sign that my PS3 is on the way out. But the fact that it only happens during impact and during replays makes me think it's the game.

2) I'm experiencing more-than-occasional slowdown. Happens when there's a lot on screen (so mostly in tight corners during circuit races). Framerate drops considerably. Nothing game-breaking, but it's enough to be really annoying.

3) Not so much an "issue" as it is an annoyance. But, my god, the load times are awful. Not sure if this is just the PS3 version, but it's much worse than in prior Codemasters racers.

1) Oh I guess you mean, when you hit something real hard... it's a special effect actually...
2) After about 2hours of playing, I've encountered frame drops in 2 races. Both were snow racetracks with other cars/trucks and both dropped at about 22-25fps during a curve when I was behind the pack.
3) Loading time is about the same as it was in Dirt2.. it doesn't help that you can't skip when someone talks in the menus...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
i5 750
GTX560 Ti (Latest Beta Drivers with no 3D)
4GB RAM
4X MSAA
Vert Sync Off
Everything maxed to highest setting (Ultra or High) except AO (High)

In game benchmark is average 72 FPS with 62 minimum

U2NUMB

Alright.. just had one of those hell yea moments with this game. Multiplayer game.. pro tour.. game loads up it is a night rally course and the game starts to pump out Chromeo "Dont turn the lights on"... I mean seriously fuck yea.

Also the Youtube feature works great on the 360.. first game to have it? Anyways this was a near disaster I avoided and recovered frmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwi_H5jUllc

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Oneself said:
Also, drift challenges are boring & useless.

yeah, pretty terrible. i love the circuits for them - racing from A to B, then flinging the car around the pole to race from B to A. a timed event in that manor would be a lot more fun.

legbone

so, should i just skip dirt 2 and jump in to this? i played about half way through dirt and then quit (if i remember correctly the races were getting quite long and with one mistake you were screwed since there was no rewind in that game). i really enjoyed dirt but skipped 2 for some reason. any reason to pick up 2 and try to play through it before picking this up?

U2NUMB

legbone said:
so, should i just skip dirt 2 and jump in to this? i played about half way through dirt and then quit (if i remember correctly the races were getting quite long and with one mistake you were screwed since there was no rewind in that game). i really enjoyed dirt but skipped 2 for some reason. any reason to pick up 2 and try to play through it before picking this up?

They added flashbacks in the last dirt and they are back again. This gives you 5 chances to rewind and redo a section so no worries if you mess up late in a race. Dirt 2 was fantastic but so far Dirt 3 really has me happy.

BurningNad

My last racing game being Gran Turismo 3, a friend of mine hyped me up on this, and I preordered at the last minute. At first I almost regretted it because of how horrible I was, but now that I've got a feel for it and am placing 1st steadily on Intermediate, I'm having lots of fun. And the game is god damn gorgeous.

rObit

Banned
Pulled the trigger on this. Now I can't buy another game for a good 3 months. No regrets :D

Joined the steam group as well, lookin' forward to playing some MP.

AEREC

legbone said:

Get 2 so you don't miss out on the story...oh wait it's a racing game, just go straight to 3.

Ugh the Gymkhana event had me thinking 'When the hell will this be over', I couldn't take the dude super excited about me doing 2ft jumps.

OH YEAH DUDE YOU ROCK WAY TO REPRESENT YOU'RE THE BEST IN THE WORLD!

*I do some spins*

OH YEAH THE CROWD IS ON FIRE AND I AM TOO!

Oneself

legbone said:

I guess you should play both because they are somewhat different from each others and both waaay better than the 1st game (control-wise I mean, because the original Dirt had more rally races & locales..)

jlevel13

-bakalhau- said:
Ugh the Gymkhana event had me thinking 'When the hell will this be over', I couldn't take the dude super excited about me doing 2ft jumps.

OH YEAH DUDE YOU ROCK WAY TO REPRESENT YOU'RE THE BEST IN THE WORLD!

*I do some spins*

OH YEAH THE CROWD IS ON FIRE AND I AM TOO!

"DUDE - that was AWESOME - you should totally upload that to YOUTUBE!"

Ugh. Ordered the 360 version from Amazon, VIP pass doesn't work. Great. Codemaster's US phone support is based out of the UK, and on UK time, and 3 days a week. Fucking wonderful. Sent off an email and we'll see how long it takes this bullshit to get straightened out. Way to go after used game sales and pirates without affecting legitimate customers, assholes.

InertiaXr

I agree with all of you guys, nothing is worse in this game than all the stupid fucking Gymkhana shit. From what we were told before release this game was more rally less bullshit but this stuff is rammed everywhere and even now in season 4 I still haven't been able to do an event block of a triangle part of the overdone menus without a landrush or Gymkhana event. Maybe if they do another one of these they can split them up kind of like how NFS does, a real rally game and then this Mountain Dew dudebro shit can be relegated elsewhere?

Top Bottom