• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

InertiaXr

Orgun said:
I've never really understood the problem with GFWL, it works and you get cheevos.

Doesn't work for me and most other people, I tried to play Dirt 2 one day and it would no longer find or load my save and I had to restart the career stuff about 10 hours in.

At least it's finally going away, I don't think there has been another game in 2011 yet that uses GFWL? Hopefully the rest of the year goes by unscathed by this as well.

Sethos

Banned
Orgun said:
I've never really understood the problem with GFWL, it works and you get cheevos.

Me neither, works perfectly. Love that I can tie into my trusty 360 gamertag and add some achievements, can see my 360 friends play and even chat with them when they throw me a quick voice chat invite, all while on the PC. I really wish they'd make a PC client that wasn't just a marketplace frontend but a desktop version of the in-game features.

Only problem I have with it is the save-game hassle after a format. Having to start the game, have the deep rooted profile created and then browse to some obscure hidden folder to put in your backed up save-game but I supposed that's fair when we don't want achievement cheating.

I found out I still had my Dirt 2 save game intact and ready to be loaded when I tried the game last weekend after formatting and installing Windows 7 x64. How? Well... I formatted my computer but had all my documents on an external hard drive. As soon as installation was done, I created a new user that based the User folder (with My Music, My Documents, etc) on the same external hard drive. I knew about the formatting and game save problems with GFWL, so I was shocked to see I had my save game loaded in Dirt 2 and it was exactly where I had left it off. I checked My Documents and voilá, save game was located there and the game immediately recognized it. Smoothest save file transfer EVER. I didn't even need copy/paste.

So if you can... Base your user folders in an hard drive that won't be affected by formatting. This is common sense but... Just so you know that this way, you dont have to even bother with your GFWL saves.

My save got corrupted a long time ago though. I had to create a new one and do the already repeitive career again.

+1 in faovr of GFWL here.

Edit Just booted up Dead Rising 2 to see if my save game would be there like in Dirt 2. It is. Fantastic. Looks like I have all my saves intact from formatting, all without ever bothering with them.

InertiaXr said:
Doesn't work for me and most other people, I tried to play Dirt 2 one day and it would no longer find or load my save and I had to restart the career stuff about 10 hours in.

At least it's finally going away, I don't think there has been another game in 2011 yet that uses GFWL? Hopefully the rest of the year goes by unscathed by this as well.
Section 8:prejudice and Operation Flashpoint: Red River are using it. It doesn't seem to be going away, well not completely. Oh and of course Fable 3.

I'm half tempted to get Dirt 3 on both systems. I wish I could run this on Mac, god that would be great.

BTW on the site, it says this game is getting an iPhone release.

Square Triangle said:
I'm half tempted to get Dirt 3 on both systems. I wish I could run this on Mac, god that would be great.

I was honestly hoping it would get a 3DS release.

Square Triangle said:

codemasters dipping into iOS? about time! I kept dreaming for mcrae 2.0 to be ported to my ipod touch since I bought one years ago lol

1-D_FTW

Neuromancer said:
Section 8:prejudice and Operation Flashpoint: Red River are using it. It doesn't seem to be going away, well not completely. Oh and of course Fable 3.

Codemasters and Capcom seem to still be firmly in that camp. Not sure who's doing Section 8, but OF:RR isn't a surprise at all. Mabye 2012, but I'm not holding my breath on either company.

Sethos

Banned
edgefusion said:
Do we know what the interface looks like yet? This is critical to my purchasing decision.

You could watch some of the reviews posted in the thread, they got plenty of videos :)

Got a shipping confirmation from TheHut about an hour ago. Crossing my fingers for this to be with me, at the latest, on release day. Watching the GameTrailers review has got me really hyped!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
MoeB said:
Sigh. All the rally stages seem short.

its already been said there are longer runs (~3 min iirc). remember, most of the videos we are seeing are likely from early on in the career mode

i still can't get over how good the lighting looks in this game, outside of the yellow tint most of their games have they do some amazing work in the other light areas, no other game out there does that kind of soft colour lighting over things as well.

zorbsie

InertiaXr said:
Did you buy a early copy or download it?

herpderp. I bought an early copy, I'm not an idiot.
9pvzfd.jpg

InertiaXr

zorbsie said:
herpderp. I bought an early copy, I'm not an idiot.

Well my apologies, I did not mean to imply you were an idiot.

Anyways, does it do that every race? Sure hope there is a release day patch to fix that...

zorbsie

InertiaXr said:
Well my apologies, I did not mean to imply you were an idiot.

Anyways, does it do that every race? Sure hope there is a release day patch to fix that...

All cool. No it's not every race, only the first race, so far. I've just skipped the first one and moved on. Aside from the freezing I'm really enjoying it. I'm getting a real RSC vide from it.

f0rk

This is the kind of game I'd want to for showing off a new PC right? Been playing a lot of GT5 recently would like to see some other racing games when my exams are done and I build a new PC.

Would it be worth buying a wired 360 controller? I've used a Dualshock with motion joy in the past, not sure how much of a difference there is.

zorbsie

U2NUMB said:
Have you tried installing the game to see if that helps?

Never thought of that. Good idea, I'll give it shot and see what happens. I have this strange feeling it's the disc and not the game.

Edit: Nope still freezes. Same place. First race in dirt tour, loading screen between the 2 part race. This totally sucks.

On a side note here is the quality of the youtube uploads. http://youtu.be/GwxdWrjT5I8

zorbsie said:
Game keeps freezing after the very first race in the dirt tour. 360 version, anyone else have this issue?
I've been working with retail and never got any crashes. It will sometimes freeze for a second or two mid-race (just like F1 2010), but very rarely.

DoomGyver

Well just placed a pre-order for this through amazon. I need something else to use with my G27.

Yay for 99 cent release day shipping.

saladine1

O.K can someone confirm that you can use the H shifter and clutch in the game?
Some people are reporting that you can't. If that's true, then i'll be very pissed as we were told that they are included. Imagine changing gears in a Mini with paddle shift?

DoomGyver

saladine1 said:
O.K can someone confirm that you can use the H shifter and clutch in the game?
Some people are reporting that you can't. If that's true, then i'll be very pissed as we were told that they are included. Imagine changing gears in a Mini with paddle shift?
I watched one of the interviews for dirt 3 and he was using a G27 and clearly using the clutch + H shifter. Unless that's changed since then.. but why would it?
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQX5aRqs_C0&feature=player_detailpage#t=44s

Wurdfurd

Hype level maximum. The DiRT series is the only set of racing games I've thoroughly enjoyed, not sure why. I usually lose interest after a few days but DiRT has always been a blast.

kamspy

Dirt 2 is one of the best racers in a long time on PC. I hope to be there day one for Dirt 3, funds permitting.

Right, so I got my retail PC version today thru the post. As I've read from others, GFWL is a POS. Had issues logging in and NOW........I can't make the damn game full screen and the game is tearing like mad even tho I apparently have v-sync enabled.

The joys of PC gaming...

Cuthbert 80 said:
Right, so I got my retail PC version today thru the post. As I've read from others, GFWL is a POS. Had issues logging in and NOW........I can't make the damn game full screen and the game is tearing like mad even tho I apparently have v-sync enabled.

The joys of PC gaming...
you buy from cool shop? I have hope that the postman brings mine today.

You tried alt+enter to toggle fullscreen? it worked well in dirt 2

Diablohead said:
you buy from cool shop? I have hope that the postman brings mine today.

You tried alt+enter to toggle fullscreen? it worked well in dirt 2

Yeah, got it from Coolshop and.....thanks very much for the trick to bring my game full screen now Diablohead! :D
I'm a serious noob at this PC malarkey lol

Right...now for some benchmarks...

saladine1

Is anyone using a Fanatec wheel with this game?
Picking up my copy tomorrow.

I'm still a little worried here that the Fanatec clutch and shifter isn't supported. There are still people saying that the game isn't recognizing the clucth or shifter.
I've seen the clutch and shifter used in some videos but they were on the G27. Please,please Codies, don't let me down.....

Diablohead said:
POSTMAN JUST DROPPED OFF MY PC COPY

RaptorJesus.gif

PC manual has felt the force of 5 page manual syndrome, at least it's in colour!

Hehe, coolshop done well. Is there a way to enable dx9 mode so I can supersample this bitch? (or at least try :s)

Watevaman

Probably gonna order my Steam copy soon. I would buy it on PS3, but I was spoiled by the "mods" for the PC version of Dirt 2 (stuff like color correction), plus my new graphics card came so I will hopefully be able to max it at 1080 w/all the eye candy.

Top Bottom