• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

As much as I love rally in the DiRT-series, it's a shame if they cut the rallycross part of it. I don't care much for all the other stuff, like gymkhana and transporter, but there was some proper fun and great experiences to be had in both rally and rallycross.

They are planning on adding Rallycross in July with another expansion for Rallycross in August. I asked a Codemasters person in this thread earlier how it would be setup and they said they are aiming towards making it as close to realistic as they can go

also, Hillclimb (Pikes Peak + Hillclimb cars) gets added next month if everything goes to plan

Melon Husk

Watching the video, is there really no terrain deformation?

For a rally game I would think that'd be one of the main arieas that they should have in a game, so the dirt/mud/snow, etc gives way under your tires and the speed and isn't just the same as pavement in terms of it being "solid."

Do you mean something in the vein of Spintires?

Give me rallying on Camino de las Yungas and I'll buy it. So far so good but a high price for unfinished product. This is the sort of game that drives men to buy a steering wheel (they still exist, right?).

MaLDo

I'm pretty familiar with the early access thing.

Pace notes are already in the game. The fact that they're not playing for me is a bug. It's unfortunately very difficult to play a rally game without knowing what's coming up.

It's not only content what is lacking. Bug fixes too. If you buy an EA game you can share your problems but demanding fast patches is wrong.

DJ_Lae

Do you mean something in the vein of Spintires?.

Holy shit, combine this game with some of the Spintires ground deformation tech and I'd be in heaven.

Though maybe they've actually built a decent game around the Spintires concept since I last played (but I doubt it).

Afro

Holy shit, combine this game with some of the Spintires ground deformation tech and I'd be in heaven.

Though maybe they've actually built a decent game around the Spintires concept since I last played (but I doubt it).

DiRT Rally 2 w/ The Order 1886 lighting system + terrain deformation. Believe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man the driving physics feel absolutely amazing. That old Codemasters feel of turning on a pivot (like you had a pole rammed through the roof of your car and you spun on that axis) is completely gone.

I've been hit with the no pacenotes bug unfortunately, but still first impressions are very very positive.

Stig94

Neo Member
That feeling of stringing together a few flowing turns in this game is amazing and so rewarding even if you're way behind the split time

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Couple o shots, no crazy downsampling or anything.

17295055285_7c0276c01f_o.png

17294565781_f1cca538cb_o.png

Has anyone else else tried a Driving Force GT? I know Jibbed has issues, but I'm kinda hoping it was an isolated incident and I don't have to wait for official support. :)

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
Just got done playing a few rounds with a driving force gt, no issues here. Also locked at 60fps 1080p, ultra, 4x MSAA (FX9590/R9 290). Challenging but fun!

Xander51

I'm gonna pick this up a little bit later. Looks really cool! Pleasantly surprised that it came out of nowhere.

epmode

I've been hit with the no pacenotes bug

Realtek onboard sound? Post your dxdiag here so the devs can see it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/611704730326743964/

edit: Post even if you don't have Realtek. That's just what appears to be the culprit so it would be useful to see someone that proves otherwise.

It's not only content what is lacking. Bug fixes too. If you buy an EA game you can share your problems but demanding fast patches is wrong.

Yes, I'm clearly demanding a patch.

Not to derail the thread, but what options will PS4/XB1 owners have this year for rally racing ?
Hopefully Turn 10 learnt something from Storm Island and incorparate rally into Forza 6.

Also had no idea this was coming, Dirt 2 is up there with Burnout Paradise and FH2 as my favourite racing game.

Doesn't seem to want to activate after I waited on the download. Sad face...

clear your steam cache. there's a post a few pages back how to do it.

is it worth hiring extra engineers? or should i just be hoarding money for my eventual wrx? i just bought the stratos. idk how long i can grind until there's some updates though i've done career 3 times. i kinda wish i could soup the shit out of the mini but it seems you can only get 2 upgrades for it? or will that change with experience/engineers?

Jibbed

Has anyone else else tried a Driving Force GT? I know Jibbed has issues, but I'm kinda hoping it was an isolated incident and I don't have to wait for official support. :)

Seems to be all right now mate, I still have sound issues though which I'll elaborate on.

Apologies to anyone who was subjected to my stream earlier before I got to grips with the handling and wheel settings, that was rough lol.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Disclaimer... I would hardly call myself an expert but I've got 15 years of racing a few different categories under my belt, as well as the odd rally experience day.

+ Handling: This thing is hard to master, and I fucking love it. The handbrake is my new best friend. I've genuinely not had this much fun with virtual driving in a long time, it's just so involving and physical. It's easy to get going at a somewhat competent pace, but to effectively carry speed you need to go full Finland. Pretty much the closest I've personally felt a game has come to a true driving 'experience' anyway.

+ Presentation: Slick as fuck, functional, tidy. Does what you want it to fast, and it's very easy to navigate. I love the Colin McRae 2.0-style car outlines, and the doodle pace note icons. It feels like a true-to-heart, wonderfully British rally experience. Awesome stuff.

+ Stages: Perfect in length, and there's already enough variety in there to keep me busy for a while. They're just long and different enough to keep me on my toes, but not so much that I can't pick it up and start zoning out from pace notes after a few attempts. I hate being overly attentive to them anyway.

+ Cars: I was surprised by the decent selection we have to kick off with considering the price, good stuff. Seems like a no-messing attempt to get the best rally vehicles possible so that's fine by me. I like how it's split into decades too, nice sense of progression (not just with age but speed!).

+ Sound/Graphics: I've seen a lot of praise for the former but honestly, both of these seem a minor at best improvement over the stellar Dirt 3. Not a bad thing, I've just not been blown away visually as yet. It's nice and clean though, does what it needs to do. I like the co-driver voice, sounds like a top bloke.

ISSUES SO FAR:

- FFB can feel a little muted at times.

- DFGT wheel seems to not be recognised every now and again, and the resultant pause messes with the steering lock / overall FFB feel. Restarting sorts it.

- All audio drops out if I try to play with the 60's Lancia. No idea why.

OVERALL:

Whether you're an old-school Codies fan or mildly interested in the rally genre, you owe it to yourself to give this a shot. Seriously, expecially for the price, it's fucking good.

Megasoum

Banned
All right so I did a quick test. I'm super tired so I'll have to give it a bit more testing another day.

I love the structure and content available right now.

Graphics looks nice and locked at 60fps at ultra on my 770.

Controls with my Thrustmaster TX are....hmm....yeah....no there yet. If I lower the lock on my wheel to 360degrees then it's kinda playable but not great and the FFB doesn't have definition. Hopefully they will add the TX custom preset soon.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could actually control the menus with the wheel already though (even if I don't have the actual buttons for the prompts).

If anybody has good TX setting, please share!

Add me to the list of people who doesn't get pace notes. No audio or symbols on screen.

Finally... My BIGGEST pet peeve of the EGO Engine is still present.

For the love of God Codemasters... Make it so that the game doesn't switch to windowed mode when you alt-tab out of it. This bug has been there on EVERY SINGLE EGO ENGINE GAME released so far!!!!! Now that we're going through an early access process is the perfect time to fix te bug!

is career the best way to make money? i did a daily challenge but i dont think i got cash for it. do you get decent cash for any other modes?

Deadbeat

Banned
For the love of God Codemasters... Make it so that the game doesn't switch to windowed mode when you alt-tab out of it. This bug has been there on EVERY SINGLE EGO ENGINE GAME released so far!!!!! Now that we're going through an early access process is the perfect time to fix te bug!
Does hitting ALT + Enter when back on the game not work? I just played dirt 3 too and I dont even remember.

Megasoum

Banned
^^ The TX isn't officially supported yet going by their list as far as I see so I'd imagine once they add it everything will be fine

Oh yeah I know... I'm not worried. Hell, I'm used to my steering being complete crap in pCARS until like 6 months ago when suddenly they added the TX profile and it became one of the best FFB on the market lol.

Does hitting ALT + Enter when back on the game not work? I just played dirt 3 too and I dont even remember.

Yeah Alt-Enter works. Like I said it's more a pet peeve than anything... It just bugs me that it's been there in every single games since Dirt 1 lol.

epmode

Weird. Maybe the Steam reference files got screwed up and only people who downloaded the game when the files were still OK are able to play without a problem?

I tried verifying my cache but it didn't redownload anything.

DD

Never bought a Early Access game before, but today I've lost that battle. I hate to love you, Codemasters. >.<'

Holy crap, the game is selling incredibly well for an early access release:

UoVeeaH.png

I think Codemasters are taking an interesting approach with this game. Release a rally sim with no arcade like augmentation to the driving mechanics.

Deadbeat

Banned
Im a huge sucker for racers where you unlock/buy upgrades for vehicles. Can anyone take some screens or go into details on that?

FukuDaruma

Anyone playing on a similar rig? i5 4690K 16gb ram 4GB R290X

Can i expect 1080p 60 Fps maxed? might grab it after work

Same GPU here. Constant 60fps at 1440p (VSR) in Ultra.

This game feels good. Love the "cut the bullshit" approach, a clean UI and just damn good rally stages with more realistic physics, better sound, rain, snow and day/night...

HUDless dashcam with rain is insane, not up to Driveclub level in the windshield effects but feels great.

04.28.2015-05.10.png

paskowitz

Graphically, this game is very impressive. IQ is super clean. Rain effects are great.

Physics are usually b/c the FFB is still rudimentary. That being said, I feel like there is a good underlying system in how the cars behave.

Shaneus

Holy crap, the game is selling incredibly well for an early access release:

UoVeeaH.png

I think Codemasters are taking an interesting approach with this game. Release a rally sim with no arcade like augmentation to the driving mechanics.
Maybe they'll take the same approach with their F1 games.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

danowat

Banned
I keep hearing....

"Better than RBR"

That's a hell of a strong statement.

Looks impressive, shame I haven't got a PC man enough to run it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This may be the best sound design ever in a racer.

I'm dying for them to fix the copilot bug so I can really dig into the game.

Top Bottom