• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

So I just started this https://youtu.be/RExEK5sYf8Y in a new tab and I wasn't looking at it. Made me realize the sound is pretty dam great, I tough it was a real video for a few seconds.

Are steam key for this game sold anywhere else cheaper? I find 35$ CAD a bit much for early access.

SparkTR

How's the FFB? Codemasters games have never felt good with my G27, especially after playing stuff like Assetto Corsa.

Dave_6

I really like it so far, but the minimal (200 degrees?) wheel rotation is bugging me. Hopefully that will be fixed early on.

Dilly

Banned
I'm glad they're aware of that "error 41" problem, I want to play it seeing all these impressions. Looks great!

patiently waiting for a co-driver & pace notes bug fix

giphy.gif

Raknar

Neo Member
I'm having a lot of fun in this game. It's far better than I expected. The handling in comparison to Dirt 1 & 2 is a massive improvement, along with decent graphics and excellent sounds.

I was just trying Bronfelen in the Imprezza. It's such a nice stage, with really fun downhill twisty sections. Everyone should give this stage / car combo a try!

Here's a quick video of my last run: https://youtu.be/7DWE7H1Dz58

kazinova

Okay, so there's no co-driver and pace notes for everyone else. I thought I was going crazy. I'd have dug into the career stuff more but not knowing the stages and running without the co-driver calls was almost impossible on the first run.

murgo

OMG. I've been waiting for this for so long. I hope a PS4 version will show up ASAP.

Does the PS4 controller work with the Early Access version? If it does, I'll buy it.

MaxiLive

OMG. I've been waiting for this for so long. I hope a PS4 version will show up ASAP.

Does the PS4 controller work with the Early Access version? If it does, I'll buy it.

I haven't tried myself but I can't see it being fully compatible (button icons/rumble) out of the box. You could use DS4 to XInput to resolve that though :)

murgo

I haven't tried myself but I can't see it being fully compatible (button icons/rumble) out of the box. You could use DS4 to XInput to resolve that though :)

Yeah, will do that. Bought it and can't wait to finally play. I've been waiting for something like this since CMR 2005.

Skyzard

Banned
They mentioned that they're aiming for a hard experience at the moment to draw in that crowd but that they will also be adding in more aids in the future and making it more accessible.

So are they going to change the target audience as the game picks up or are they actually going to make sure the people who invested early for the experience being reported can still have that experience, and the rest of the stuff is optional?

Anyone bummed out by the driving physics? I want to pick this up but only if it does it really damn well. Any big excuse and I'll tend to bail on a rally game. So far it looks like my vita copy of WRC4. Hopefully it controls better :p

They mentioned that they're aiming for a hard experience at the moment to draw in that crowd but that they will also be adding in more aids in the future and making it more accessible.

So are they going to change the target audience as the game picks up or are they actually going to make sure the people who invested early for the experience being reported can still have that experience, and the rest of the stuff is optional?

All the aids they have in game now are completely optional, so I can't imagine them going back on that.

MaxiLive

Anyone bummed out by the driving physics? I want to pick this up but only if it does it really damn well. Any big excuse and I'll tend to bail on a rally game. So far it looks like my vita copy of WRC4. Hopefully it controls better :p

From what I've read there has been little complaints about the base physics there is some personal preference coming in with people asking for it to be more slippy then others asking for more grip.

There does however seems to be some issues with the FFB, it doesn't seem bad but it does seem to have room for improvement!

My personal opinion I think the driving overall feels great and the races really have been nerve wrecking, I would like a little bit more feel in the FFB but it seems all right!

If you did manage to find a fix for this I'd love to know.

EDIT

We're on it and have fixed it internally - just testing now and I'll swing back and let you know when we have the fix live.

thanks for the quick work...I know it's probably hectic there

Damn yall got the wrx already? I played for 2-3 hours yesterday and just got the cash for teh stratos lol

in Custom Events you can use any car you want without having to buy them...in Career you have to buy a car before you have access to it

Skyzard

Banned
All the aids they have in game now are completely optional, so I can't imagine them going back on that.

Hopefully it doesn't even need to be said but I kinda worry these days they won't bother trying to maintain the appeal to different groups, one of which they're currently targeting, as they get lazy or it takes too much effort to do it and so they go for the lowest common denominator and tweak driving responsiveness, AI times, whether or not some aids are working always etc.

It's pretty unthinkable for a skill focused racing game but after F1 2014, nothing shocks me really.

As long as people can play with the same challenge that they've drawn them in with without having to mod the game, then it's fine.

From what I've read there has been little complaints about the base physics there is some personal preference coming in with people asking for it to be more slippy then others asking for more grip.

There does however seems to be some issues with the FFB, it doesn't seem bad but it does seem to have room for improvement!

My personal opinion I think the driving overall feels great and the races really have been nerve wrecking, I would like a little bit more feel in the FFB but it seems all right!

Thanks, especially for the headsup on FFB too. I was quite interested in that aspect. I read other posts saying they loved how it felt as well though - perhaps they've tweaked it mostly for pads so far...? If pad is great then I'm still interested, not that easy to get my wheel out from the mess that is the garage.

Anyway, I was worried not that the physics are bad but that they will tweak it to be easier and easier as progress carries on and they attempt to target a bigger audience.

Pena

Neo Member
Interesting title. Proper rally game is just what I need.
At this stage, FF is a mess on my T500RS, weird FF deadzone and steering feels kinda mushy overall.
Pausing the game crashes to desktop.

But yeah, it's early access and I'm really looking forward to updates and fixes.

MaxiLive

Thanks, especially for the headsup on FFB too. I was quite interested in that aspect. I read other posts saying they loved how it felt as well though - perhaps they've tweaked it mostly for pads so far...? If pad is great then I'm still interested, not that easy to get my wheel out from the mess that is the garage.

Anyway, I was worried not that the physics are bad but that they will tweak it to be easier and easier as progress carries on and they attempt to target a bigger audience.

The feedback feels good just muted compared to full on sims, it has more going on than the previous DiRTs just not as much as the big sims of today. Which I'm sure will be tweaked of peeps will find decent config setups.

Also you worry of the game toning down I can't see it doing that to be honest, at least not on PC. It will probably remain the same as it is now with tweaks made to grip levels and such and bonus assists added/driving school for the full release. As for making the transition to console if it does in the future they will probably need to add some controller input assists to make it more welcoming to the common console gamer, again I would expect this to be something you can turn on/off.

At the moment it certainly feels like a core racer and I'm pretty sure it will be staying that way due to the positive response on Steam and Gaf, etc

razu

thanks for the quick work...I know it's probably hectic there

in Custom Events you can use any car you want without having to buy them...in Career you have to buy a car before you have access to it

Worth pointing out that you get the base version of the car by default, in all modes. You need to buy and upgrade the cars in Career modes to get the full power versions, which carry over to all modes.

also justbiglee...

Is it possible to maybe add the drone and trackside camera views for replays as their own choices? Those views are used in the default replay choice but I'd like to be able to view those specifically.

also justbiglee...

Is it possible to maybe add the drone and trackside camera views for replays as their own choices? Those views are used in the default replay choice but I'd like to be able to view those specifically.

This would be nice actually. Most replay cameras in the cinematic mode are either inside the car or on a wheel arch. Having a camera selection dedicated to the detached cameras would be amazing.

I picked up this up last night after reading the thread and watching the brief Eurogamer video. I'd say at best that I'm modest racing game fan. I played the hell out of Gran Turismo 1 & 2 on PSX and then became a Burnout fan during the last generation. In fact Burnout Paradise is my personal "game of the generation" for whatever you want to call the PS3/360/Wii era. Currently I'm toying around with DriveClub, fun stuff. But I haven't seriously played a dedicated Rally game since SEGA Rally on the Saturn and I loved that game intensely.

So I knew I might have been in for a rough road with this "sim". And, man, it's really damn fun.

I only played through the first group of stages in Greece. In fact, I didn't even complete the race as wrecked my car near the end of stage 4. Yet playing the game with my headphones on and Xbox one controller in hand had my literally on the edge of my seat as tried to drive as fast and safely as possible. There were plenty of "OH SHIT" moments during those first 4 stages were I struggled to correct the car and stay on the road. But forgetting to repair my car as I went into stage 4 led to my demise as I flew off the side of a mountain due to three flat tires, an over-heating engine and some other issue signaled by check engine light.

After my horrible first attempt I was given an engine upgrade and had enough credits to hire a dedicated engineer. But by this time it was 12:00 am and I had to head to bed.

Can't wait to boot the game up tonight and fully complete that event in Greece.

MizzouRah

How's the triple monitor support with this game so far?

I'm up in the air deciding whether to pick this up, or to snag GTA V. I already have the PS3 GTA, so I might wait for a sale on that despite having more content than DiRT Rally.

I'm up in the air deciding whether to pick this up, or to snag GTA V. I already have the PS3 GTA, so I might wait for a sale on that despite having more content than DiRT Rally.

I can't comment on triple monitors. But I definitely recommend picking up DiRT now over GTA. It's on for the first week and a purchase will help the devs move forward with improving the game. GTA will definitely be on sale soon enough.

For an "Early Access" game, put to together extremely well. I'm seriously impressed. If you're a racing fan, get it without a doubt. DiRT Rally is looking to only get better from here on out.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'll be getting Dirt Rally by this weekend, and I rationalize it like this: the release game will most likely be $50-$60 price range, and it likely won't go on much of a sale for at least a year or better, so by buying it now at $32 I'm saving money in the long run PLUS getting to play it now. Because lets face it, with all of the content they've announced for this and from all of the impressions so far, I need to own this. And I ain't waiting two or more years to get it on sale.

So it's either buy now at $32, buy after release at ~$60, or wait a couple years. Personally I'm buying to both get a great racing game and to reward Codemasters for a job very well done.

GTA V is a game I want but it's currently twice the price of Dirt Rally, so that I can justify waiting for a sale one day.

edit: fucking phone wrong thread.

So does anyone have any footage of the car upgrade system?

There's not much to see. It's just a bar that fills up over the course of a few races as your mechanics become acquainted with your car. There's a description of what the upgrades do and the resulting horsepower, but it just happens automatically and there's nothing to see.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
edit: fucking phone wrong thread.

So does anyone have any footage of the car upgrade system?

It's really just an xp system with the car. You drive with it a certain amount, it gets some upgrades. You don't get to choose them, or buy them or anything like that, it just happens.

Color me impressed... this is by far the most adept game Codemasters have put out in recent years, and it looks and sounds fantastic.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and am eagerly awaiting the co-driver navigation patch!

Afro

Sound design is so incredibly aggressive and gritty/raw and yet completely non-fatiguing at the same time.

That slight reverb while inside the cockpit. Game should be used in sound mixing college courses across the world. CodeAudiomasters.

This, Wreckfest and the glorious My Summer Car being (kind of maybe) out this year makes you feel all warm and Finnish on the inside.
Did the first few stages. Love the handling. Graphics are outdated but I'm so happy we finally have a good rally game again that I really can't complain.
Prioritizing performance is absolutely the right call. But they could stand to scale up the graphics a bit for people with overbudget hardware. You only need so many frames.

Deadbeat

Banned
There's not much to see. It's just a bar that fills up over the course of a few races as your mechanics become acquainted with your car. There's a description of what the upgrades do and the resulting horsepower, but it just happens automatically and there's nothing to see.
It's really just an xp system with the car. You drive with it a certain amount, it gets some upgrades. You don't get to choose them, or buy them or anything like that, it just happens.
Well thats disappointing. Im never gonna get another Xpand Rally I guess.

Top Bottom