• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Karak

Screengrab from my video but I have to admit I am impressed by the little things like the crowd and its draw distance as well as the fact that there isn't a lot of cheating going on with various effects like shadows and so forth.
2ef175e8fc.jpg

Sorry I missed it, as somebody pointed out Dave is one of the guys, Chris Jojo is another but he isn't on twitter. We're also really grateful to the UK Rally scene, people like Steve Perez who let us record and digitally preserve their awesome machines. We've still not got a full set though, some of the audio isn't exact and we're trying to track down the cars we need still.

Missed this post. Which cars don't have the right sounds? They all sound pretty spot on to me, lol.

Ketch

This is game is so good.

I haven't played a dirt game since 2, and my favorite parts have always been the point to point rally. I love how hard it is, and how it discourages just repeatedly restarting to get first all the time. I know it's aimed at the "hardcore" audience, but I think they're really onto something special here. It's like the spelunky of driving games.

I noticed there was a league's menu, but I didn't set up an account or anything, is this like a community clan type thing? Is there (going to be) a GAF league?

cackhyena

Yeah, I'm more addicted than ever. I keep thinking about wheel setups. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to those things, though. Can anyone point me toward some decent ones...and decently priced? I'd want one that worked with an Xbox One and PC, if possible.

Branson

Yeah, I'm more addicted than ever. I keep thinking about wheel setups. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to those things, though. Can anyone point me toward some decent ones...and decently priced? I'd want one that worked with an Xbox One and PC, if possible.

Thrustmaster TX. Look into replacing the pedals if you want, they arent the best but are serviceable. $293 on Amazon right now. Just got the wheel and love it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I notice I only have two steam friends who own Dirt Rally, yet we have a lot of people in this thread who have it. I like a little friendly competition, so if anyone wants to add me as a steam friend so we can see each other's times then here is my steam profile:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mengy1/

Feel free to add me!

Played a while on my G25 recently.

Few things about DiRT right after i've done with Assetto Corsa (with rally mods) and GT6 the other day:
1. The game is fun as hell on a wheel, but it's is anything but a fully-fledged racing simulator. A this moment anyway. Wheel is a bit sloppy, car is a bit sleazy on the road and wheel feedback is very mild and unconfident on G25. Right now it's a good "sim-like-arcade" racer and even if they won't patch physics further to sim i'll be ok with it.
2. UI is a little over-spartan as for my taste. Even AC menus was more fluid and informative. Also they need to do something with a racing HUD, it is still very early at best.
3. Car sounds is great and the co-pilot's chatter is very natural. Kudos for that.
4. Tech here is... Well, it's ok. Typical EGO picture and solid as hell 60 FPS. Night races is a bit buggy though because of the flashing shadows.
5. Nice car list even now. Mini is the best starter's car i've seen in a while.

So i think if you're not demanding from the game the RBR level of realism it's totally worth bying even now. Had tons of fun (and i kinda hate rally games) and zero tech problems so far.

razu

Tried to start a league just to test out that part of the game but the website would never accept the events I would setup...don't know if it's a glitch or just something I wasn't doing right

I'm surprised no one has started anything yet as far as a GAF league...I thought that would have been made Day 1

I set up a league yesterday and it kept failing to create events. I got it to work by setting the start time of the event to be in the future, only by an hour or so.

Hope that works for you.

nasanu

Banned
Played a while on my G25 recently.

Few things about DiRT right after i've done with Assetto Corsa (with rally mods) and GT6 the other day:
1. The game is fun as hell on a wheel, but it's is anything but a fully-fledged racing simulator. A this moment anyway. Wheel is a bit sloppy, car is a bit sleazy on the road and wheel feedback is very mild and unconfident on G25. Right now it's a good "sim-like-arcade" racer and even if they won't patch physics further to sim i'll be ok with it.
2. UI is a little over-spartan as for my taste. Even AC menus was more fluid and informative. Also they need to do something with a racing HUD, it is still very early at best.
3. Car sounds is great and the co-pilot's chatter is very natural. Kudos for that.
4. Tech here is... Well, it's ok. Typical EGO picture and solid as hell 60 FPS. Night races is a bit buggy though because of the flashing shadows.
5. Nice car list even now. Mini is the best starter's car i've seen in a while.

So i think if you're not demanding from the game the RBR level of realism it's totally worth bying even now. Had tons of fun (and i kinda hate rally games) and zero tech problems so far.
Rbr was not realistic. Real cars handle better, Rbr was unrealistically hard. Which of course ironically is the reason why people call it a hard core sim and the most realistic.

Rbr was not realistic. Real cars handle better, Rbr was unrealistically hard. Which of course ironically is the reason why people call it a hard core sim and the most realistic.
Agreed. So far most fair experience with rally i had was in GT5/6 to be honest.

But hey, RBR is a cult game and many people is attached to it.

ruttyboy

Ark

I noticed there was a league's menu, but I didn't set up an account or anything, is this like a community clan type thing? Is there (going to be) a GAF league?

Once the PvP update is out later this year I imagine there'll be a GAF league, especially with how popular this has already become.

It's a little bit pricey, but the Thrustmaster TX will work with both the XB1 and PC.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Missed this post. Which cars don't have the right sounds? They all sound pretty spot on to me, lol.

Pretty much all of them are correct, its just some slight oddites like the Subaru 95 which has the recording of a slightly different Subaru on it because we can't find anybody with the exact model in rally spec (yet)

Edited: I missed a word out

cyen

Jus want to share my thoughts about the game:

+ Very High Quality for an early access game
+++++++ No more dude bro crap
+ Return to the CMR roots
+ Superb handling with a DS4 pad
+ Sound design is great
+ Track design is fantastic, very thrilling races, any mistake and you are basically finished.

- Low content (this one shouldn´t even count as a minus since... it´s early acces)
- No terrain deformation, it should be a standard in 2015 rally games :(
- Even if the IQ is really clean and overall very good the ego engine starts to feel a little "old"

Overall im really happy with dirt rally, couldn´t stand anymore the "Heyy dude" mentality from past games, i really hope codemasters see all this positive feedback from the comunity as a tip for future games, there is a market for this type of racers and all this positive buzz around dirt rally really shows it.

Please send a big props to all the team, they are doing a fantastic job! Kudos!

undu

Is a track/rally editor for the community in the works? Combining it with a steam workshop would make the game to stand out for years.

Only rally games I've ever enjoyed was Rallisport Challenge 1/2. How would you say this compares to those?
All the cars in Rallisport were pretty forgiving, and many of the stages were extremely wide, allowing you to go flat out without much concentration. Dirt Rally has many roads/tracks with realistic widths, and the cars have more distinct and realistic characteristics that require a certain amount of sensitivity in terms of driver inputs.

So it's considerably more difficult, but also more rewarding.

Pretty much all of them, its just some slight oddites like the Subaru 95 which has the recording of a slightly different Subaru on it because we can't find anybody with the exact model in rally spec (yet)

Oh, so like the Subaru might have a recording from a 22B for example? Or the Metro 6R4 might be a recording of the same engine in the Jag XJ220? Like correct engines/configurations but not the literal exact car in the game.

Well that's a good fallback, so if proper recordings never happened I'd definitely be happy with them staying as they are.

i dont feel like i got my money for the monthly challenge? did you have to make it all the way to the end to get paid at all?

If it works the same as GRID Autosport then you only get paid once the challenge expires. I'm curious as well though because I don't remember being paid for a daily one that has since expired. If someone could clarify this that'd be great.

GeoGonzo

- No terrain deformation, it should be a standard in 2015 rally games :(
Sorry if this is an obvious question but... when people say this what do they mean exactly? And does any rally game actually do this? I know Spintires does it, but the whole game was built around it. Would terrain deformation really add something to a rally game, other than prettier replays?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but... when people say this what do they mean exactly? And does any rally game actually do this? I know Spintires does it, but the whole game was built around it. Would terrain deformation really add something to a rally game, other than prettier replays?

The 2007 Sega Rally did it as well. I think it affects the handling of your car, since you can essentially get caught in tire tracks that you dug into the ground on the previous lap and can grip easier. The handling part doesn't matter for DiRT though because it's purely point to point for now, there's no repeating a track without restarting.

There was some rally-trial Russian game the other day called УАЗ 4x4 (UAZ 4x4) with road deformation featrure. And it's pretty changed the game, because back then you could stuck in the deep mud and free yourself from swamp trap by agressivly streeting your wheels and working with gas. Or just make everything worse by totally sinking in the Siberian dirt.

It's a pretty cool feature (wet mud in the rain, mmmmm), but i think it is not something i wanna see in lighthearted (in a good way) DiRT.

razu

The 2007 Sega Rally did it as well. I think it affects the handling of your car, since you can essentially get caught in tire tracks that you dug into the ground on the previous lap and can grip easier. The handling part doesn't matter for DiRT though because it's purely point to point for now, there's no repeating a track without restarting.

Sega Rally changed surface physics properties depending on the depth of the deformation, (I developed the handling alongside the physics programmer, \o/). Realtime deformation made sense for that game as it was circuit based. It would be a cool feature in DR, but it wouldn't have a great effect on the gameplay, as you'd never see your deformation, except for in replays. Load-time deformation based on your running order would be cool though, so you'd turn up to an untouched track if you were in 1st place, a churned up mess if you were last to run.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

For Dirt Rally though I'd rather see two dozen other things before terrain deformation. Since it's point to point rally it would simply be eye candy and nothing more.

Well even if it's not physically or visually modelled, there should be an element of compensation for surface deformation in the physics calculations as the vehicle moves along - i.e. the rear tyres might drive over exactly the same patch of ground that the front tyres did, and it might be slightly more compacted. And as razu says, for staggered rally starts, where several cars will have done the stage before you, they're ripping it up and compacting it down in unique ways - so you're not sure quite what to expect in terms of grip levels, grooves, etc. The dream would be a rally sim that can simulate this kind of track evolution with same level of detail that rFactor 2 achieves, combined with surface deformation, but I can't even begin to imagine how complex that would be (and how much memory it would eat!). The rewards are probably not that great - as TheAdmiester says, point to point stuff is not something you'd repeat so you probably wouldn't even notice just by working your way through an event. But if you were the first out on the stage in the morning, and then tried it again as the last car out after a simulated 'day' of rallying, then you'd notice, if it was a really muddy stage, for example.

And for Rallycross, it's something that can be happening right in front of you - cars tearing up the surface that you're just about to drive over.

Would be nice to have, but fairly low priority at the moment.

Terrain deformation only makes sense if your turning laps on a circuit. Meaning going over the same terrain multiple times and having the surface change each lap.

For Dirt Rally though I'd rather see two dozen other things before terrain deformation. Since it's point to point rally it would simply be eye candy and nothing more.

nah, a little sprinkle of randomness to the deformation on track before you start would give a little more uniqueness to each run. it should look like a few rallyers went before you and even a random touch here and there like tracks heading off a cliff would be a cool addition to spice up runs as long as they had a bit of randomness to it. or maybe things like you get deformation from the last guy who did the daily challenge before you and such. and the game could really use better physics for little things you drive into.

yeah the monthly challenge ended yesterday though i was hoping to get a group b car with my money from it but i never got it

razu

yeah the monthly challenge ended yesterday though i was hoping to get a group b car with my money from it but i never got it

Did you finish all the stages?

There was a bug with the daily not giving you the reward, but that's fixed in the latest version.

_machine

Sega Rally changed surface physics properties depending on the depth of the deformation, (I developed the handling alongside the physics programmer, \o/). Realtime deformation made sense for that game as it was circuit based. It would be a cool feature in DR, but it wouldn't have a great effect on the gameplay, as you'd never see your deformation, except for in replays. Load-time deformation based on your running order would be cool though, so you'd turn up to an untouched track if you were in 1st place, a churned up mess if you were last to run.
I agree that for a game like Dirt Rally the importance of realtime deformation wouldn't be as big as it was for Sega Rally, though it'd be cool effect nonetheless, but there are more imporant aspects to a rally simulation. I'm interested in the implementation of it though, like what downsides does the depth map modifying have and what are the cases where it doesn't work so well?

razu

I agree that for a game like Dirt Rally the importance of realtime deformation wouldn't be as big as it was for Sega Rally, though it'd be cool effect nonetheless, but there are more imporant aspects to a rally simulation. I'm interested in the implementation of it though, like what downsides does the depth map modifying have and what are the cases where it doesn't work so well?

Well it's a lot of data to store for a start. Each vertex of the physics mesh now needs an original position, a deformation limit, and a current deformation amount. Then the render mesh needs to be rebuilt every time it's changed.

Also, to show nicely detailed ruts, you need far more triangles in your meshes then you can use in a static mesh.

It's a high price to pay for sure.

I *love* the system in Spintires though, the game in general is fantastic :D

Did you finish all the stages?

There was a bug with the daily not giving you the reward, but that's fixed in the latest version.

i didn't i got like 2/3 through, but the scale thing said i was likely in the bottom of the top 1/3 at the time so i figured i'd just stop and would get that payout, i guess that was wrong then. now that i know you have to finish them all i'll approach this one a lot differently.

That transition to Group B cars, holy shit.

yeah i did a little run with all the group b cars since i see you need one for the monthly and the audi is going to completely change the game when i get a few more bucks. after that im guessing its really beneficial to open up all the engineer slots?

justbiglee

Neo Member
Oh, so like the Subaru might have a recording from a 22B for example? Or the Metro 6R4 might be a recording of the same engine in the Jag XJ220? Like correct engines/configurations but not the literal exact car in the game.

Well that's a good fallback, so if proper recordings never happened I'd definitely be happy with them staying as they are.

I miss typed on my orgianl post (sorry - I've edited it) just to clarify...

Most of the cars are the correct recordings its just 2 or 3 that might be a slightly different version of the same car in game like you said in your post.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Load-time deformation based on your running order would be cool though, so you'd turn up to an untouched track if you were in 1st place, a churned up mess if you were last to run.

this is what i'd love to see simulated. some of the more interesting strategies in rally happen when teams purposely slow down on a given stage to give themselves, or teammates, a more favorable starting position for the next leg.

this is what i'd love to see simulated. some of the more interesting strategies in rally happen when teams purposely slow down on a given stage to give themselves, or teammates, a more favorable starting position for the next leg.

For practicality purposes, I'd skip the realtime deformation and just have modified textures/physics properties depending on your running order. I don't think it would be a popular feature though! Paying a grip penalty that's dependent on your starting order would be upsetting to most people I think.

If the WRC guys could have a genie wish, it would probably be to magically equalize the surface. Video games are genie wishes, so maybe we're better off leaving it static :)

I would be very cool though. I'm not going to lie.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
For practicality purposes, I'd skip the realtime deformation and just have modified textures/physics properties depending on your running order. I don't think it would be a popular feature though! Paying a grip penalty that's dependent on your starting order would be upsetting to most people I think.

If the WRC guys could have a genie wish, it would probably be to magically equalize the surface. Video games are genie wishes, so maybe we're better off leaving it static :)

I would be very cool though. I'm not going to lie.

I edited my post to reflect i was hoping for just that. i see no (ok, little) need for it to be real-time.

Karak

Ya agreed. I keep thinking someone must mean something else here because unless they add in laps somewhere this would be absolutely low on the list.

Group B cars are soo fun! I came so close to getting my first win on master difficulty in the rs2000 but messed up slightly twice and came in second place by only 1 second : (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tq958fEI10
My favorite car and class as well. Man that was a good run looks like 1:30 you had slowness on that corner that cost you that second. Honestly though that was a fucking fantastic watch.

cackhyena

Group B cars are soo fun! I came so close to getting my first win on master difficulty in the rs2000 but messed up slightly twice and came in second place by only 1 second : (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tq958fEI10
Niiiiice. I only started group B last night and was ready to say fuck it after 3/4ths of the first race. I stuck with it and was really getting the hang of it, though. Third race in and I placed 3rd place. Tied for personal best with the Mini. This game has its hooks in me bad. Best chunk of change I've spent on Steam in a while.

MaLDo

Well it's a lot of data to store for a start. Each vertex of the physics mesh now needs an original position, a deformation limit, and a current deformation amount. Then the render mesh needs to be rebuilt every time it's changed.

Also, to show nicely detailed ruts, you need far more triangles in your meshes then you can use in a static mesh.

It's a high price to pay for sure.

I *love* the system in Spintires though, the game in general is fantastic :D

Another approach could be to use a lowres greyscale layer and apply parallax mapping. Streaming the next 100 meters segment of the road and using the new data. Every wheel would dark the original texture. And physics system will read the same layer for calculations.

I can't go away without ask you: do you know why stuttering was never fixed for sega Rally Revo? The only way to play the game without it is using 'start again' option after start a race but that option doesn't exist in championships, only in 'Quick race' mode. Shame because I love the game :(

Wish I could have mouse control on all menus vs clumsily me hitting all the wheel buttons. I don't know the button 17 for pit crew suggested review. I think it's F1-3 to choose?
Maybe let you select/highlight options instead of button press.

razu

Another approach could be to use a lowres greyscale layer and apply parallax mapping. Streaming the next 100 meters segment of the road and using the new data. Every wheel would dark the original texture. And physics system will read the same layer for calculations.

I can't go away without ask you: do you know why stuttering was never fixed for sega Rally Revo? The only way to play the game without it is using 'start again' option after start a race but that option doesn't exist in championships, only in 'Quick race' mode. Shame because I love the game :(

Stuttering? Is that the PC version? I made the console and arcade versions, PC was ported.

Top Bottom