• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

I really hope Codies have plans to add some official liveries for the cars later on down the line, I'm not a fan of the fake ones currently in the game.

Gandie

One of us, one of us!

Quick question, what steering settings are people using for the T300RS/T500RS? I can't quite seem to get 1:1 steering and it's kinda bugging me.

Just a driving force GT though. The rubber/plastic pedals seem kind of shitty, but 100 € for something I will not use that often is too much already.

Prepare to be incredibly frustrated in the beginning! But when you get the hang of it, you won't regret buying one.

What's a good game to practice?

Ark

Just a driving force GT though. The rubber/plastic pedals seem kind of shitty, but 100 € for something I will not use that often is too much already.

I used the DFGT for about four-five years before I upgraded to a T300RS one month ago. It's a fantastic wheel but the pedals are utter shit, there's no getting around that fact. They will more than suffice as a starter/infrequent-use wheel though.

Project Cars will probably be pretty good for practising, if you plan on picking that up. Otherwise... Gran Turismo, rFactor, pretty much any PC racing game. Even the F1 games would be alright to practise in.

GeoGonzo

Tried this with the Oculus DK2 and it was pretty impressive but couldn't find a key to reset orientation and it was unconfortable sitting so close to my wheel... so I'm back to playing with my monitor. I'm so bad at this game... but I'm having a fantastic time with it.

It suddenly dawned on me that I'm a huge fan of the simplicity of racing without having to worry about overtaking other drivers: You simply focus on the road and doing your best.

Dilly

Banned

Generally I'd say games with good FFB like Project CARS, Assetto Corsa or rFactor. DiRT Rally might be too hard to start with, since rally driving requires a different style than circuit racers and the FFB doesn't feel instinctive at the moment.

Gandie

Project Cars will probably be pretty good for practising, if you plan on picking that up. Otherwise... Gran Turismo, rFactor, pretty much any PC racing game. Even the F1 games would be alright to practise in.

I have all the F1 games. Will have to wait for benchmarks on Project Cars. I remember dreaming about getting a Momo wheel years ago. So this is kind of a dream come true. :)

The issue causing my slow times is me being way too conservative on turns. Tried this morning to do some practice with getting better at that and I did a little better but I still have a long way to go. I wish there was a type of tutorial or challenge mode to practice different techniques and skills instead of having to go through custom events. I know this game is aimed at people who probably have no need for that type of thing but it's just my opinion.

I'm still enjoying the game though even with the headaches...lol...but I'll probably take the rest of the day off from it to kinda clear my mind and try again tomorrow to get a little better

One of us, one of us!

Quick question, what steering settings are people using for the T300RS/T500RS? I can't quite seem to get 1:1 steering and it's kinda bugging me.
You can't really get 1:1 steering, in terms of lining up to the cockpit wheel, unless you want to use about 180 degrees of lock, and even then it doesn't line up due to the animation 'enhancements' that cause the wheel and hands to have a mind of their own rather than showing what your wheel is doing. I'd just use the zoomed-in view and setting your rotation to anywhere between 400 and 700, depending on how much 'sawing' you want to do. :)

Codemasters' own suggestion of between 270 and 400 doesn't really make sense to me. In my video I did that full stage with the wheel at 540 (saturation and linearity at default), and I think it looks about right in terms of steering response - if anything it's maybe slightly too fast for the M3.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wish I could have mouse control on all menus vs clumsily me hitting all the wheel buttons. I don't know the button 17 for pit crew suggested review. I think it's F1-3 to choose?
Maybe let you select/highlight options instead of button press.

Yeah, I'd like mouse control in the menus too. It might honestly be my number one complaint, which is not really a big deal I suppose.

Just ordered a racing wheel ;_;

Congrats! I bought my G27 last summer for Euro Truck Sim 2 of all games, and I kick myself for not buying a wheel years earlier. All of my racing games have become so much more fun since I got the G27. Dirt 1 & 2 literally became entirely new games for me, and I went on a small spending spree with racing games at the summer Steam sale solely due to my G27.

Fantastic investment. Now I just need to open the wallet to replace my 14 year old Saitek X45 HOTAS with a Thrustmaster unit....

Pikes Peak? Sold. Casually driving up it in a normal car made me nervous, I was in disbelief that people raced up the damned thing. Now I can at least try it without fear for my life.

I've just finished an event using locked headcam, all assists off and I came in first place. I should've unlocked 2 or 3 achievements for it but none of them have popped. I'm also missing the professional and elite event promotion achievements. Any ideas?

NuKERxyz

I cant wait no more, im going to shoot for an G27. Already have Assetto Corsa but i make lots of mistakes with the controller to be perfect at the apex of turns.

My wife's gonna kill me..

Gandie

Yeah, I'd like mouse control in the menus too. It might honestly be my number one complaint, which is not really a big deal I suppose.

Congrats! I bought my G27 last summer for Euro Truck Sim 2 of all games, and I kick myself for not buying a wheel years earlier. All of my racing games have become so much more fun since I got the G27. Dirt 1 & 2 literally became entirely new games for me, and I went on a small spending spree with racing games at the summer Steam sale solely due to my G27.

Fantastic investment. Now I just need to open the wallet to replace my 14 year old Saitek X45 HOTAS with a Thrustmaster unit....

That's what drove me to the final decision to buy it. Racing games are probably my favourite genre, and although I tend to mostly play arcade racers (ETS2, F1 games, Dirt series) they're probably still better with a wheel. So excited. Hope it will be here Wednesday, when I get off work.

MaLDo

Stuttering? Is that the PC version? I made the console and arcade versions, PC was ported.

PC and PS3 both worked fine for me. On PC I was playing at a perfect 60FPS recently even at 4K, no stuttering or hitching.

Woah. Hard to believe after suffering the same problem in 5 o 6 different computers for 8 years. It's a mild microstuttering (even when every framerate program measures locked 60 fps), which only can be avoided restarting the race.

Random footage in youtube of the pc version showing the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NjB5nxlgC4&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-6IBKK6So&t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji94fIhylis&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfJZFvy6iB8&t=1m2s

lem0n

I cant wait no more, im going to shoot for an G27. Already have Assetto Corsa but i make lots of mistakes with the controller to be perfect at the apex of turns.

My wife's gonna kill me..

I just got one because of DiRT, Assetto and pCARS. Absolutely no regrets. Make sure, if you can find it locally, you have them price match Amazon @239.99

Ark

You can't really get 1:1 steering, in terms of lining up to the cockpit wheel, unless you want to use about 180 degrees of lock, and even then it doesn't line up due to the animation 'enhancements' that cause the wheel and hands to have a mind of their own rather than showing what your wheel is doing. I'd just use the zoomed-in view and setting your rotation to anywhere between 400 and 700, depending on how much 'sawing' you want to do. :)

Codemasters' own suggestion of between 270 and 400 doesn't really make sense to me. In my video I did that full stage with the wheel at 540 (saturation and linearity at default), and I think it looks about right in terms of steering response - if anything it's maybe slightly too fast for the M3.

Ah that's a shame, I'll change the settings in the morning then :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I switched to the zoomed-in view after I got sick of not being able to see a damned thing in cockpit mode if you crack the windscreen. Given the lack of a useful FOV slider, it's actually made a noticeable difference for me.

I have to say I'm having a blast with this game. Sunk over seven hours into it already today and my hands are actually sore, time to buy some gloves I think. I'm yet to win a stage, or even finish one cleanly without any restarts, but I'm getting better with each attempt! This game is so unbelievably intense and rewarding.

Hay codies, for that dashboard cam in the cars, the one closer to the dashboard with no wheel visible I am wondering did you like that idea from the car camera mod pack for dirt 3? it just crossed my mind that's all.

Mengy

Pikes Peak? Sold. Casually driving up it in a normal car made me nervous, I was in disbelief that people raced up the damned thing. Now I can at least try it without fear for my life.

You think that's bad, I went up Pikes Peak on my Harley. THAT was "fun", lol.

saladine1

Is anyone experiencing terribly low volume co driver?

I can hardly hear him. Has a patch been released that tampered with this at all because the volume was perfectly fine 2 days ago.

I do remember reading on Twitter that Dave Sullivan was going to bed "dreaming about co driver volume, turbo spool and turbo lag". Perhaps something is coming soon.

Oh, and would really love to hear some off the rails turbo spooling!

Gandie

I saved enough credits to buy a Stratos. What a beast! Hard to control it, especially coming out of sharp turns.

Then went on to try out the Daily Challenge. I remember Group B cars from Dirt 3. Fun and quick. But this is a whole different story. It screams, it kicks, it wants to kill you. How were they ever allowed to race in real life?

Just finished up 4 or 5 races using the oculus mode. Very fun. Even with the poor resolution I still did better than when playing on my TV

You think that's bad, I went up Pikes Peak on my Harley. THAT was "fun", lol.

Yeah screw that lol. Especially with the huge temperature change as you go I'm sure that got physically uncomfortable as well.

It was my first time to even see a mountain in person so the whole experience was pretty crazy for me, though very much worth it. Loved my time there.

GeoGonzo

Are daily/weekly/monthly events just for fun or can you actually earn money from them? I don't think I did when I completed the daily... but then again I barely made it to the end and one wheel was missing. 😶

Are daily/weekly/monthly events just for fun or can you actually earn money from them? I don't think I did when I completed the daily... but then again I barely made it to the end and one wheel was missing. 😶

For the events you have to go back after the time has expired for that challenge to collect the reward...when you go back to it you should get a popup with the bar on the left side rising until it gets to your reward level then get your credits

GeoGonzo

For the events you have to go back after the time has expired for that challenge to collect the reward...when you go back to it you should get a popup with the bar on the left side rising until it gets to your reward level then get your credits
Ah, thank you! Reading your answer also made me realize that someone already posted this earlier in the thread probably answering the very same question, but at the time I didn't know what they meant by it.

Anyway, hopefully I'll find time tomorrow to buy a Stratos and participate on the weekly event.

Mengy

Yeah screw that lol. Especially with the huge temperature change as you go I'm sure that got physically uncomfortable as well.

It was my first time to even see a mountain in person so the whole experience was pretty crazy for me, though very much worth it. Loved my time there.

Funny story. When my brother and I went up Pikes Peak on the Harleys it was a hot 80° down on Rt 24 but with broken clouds around. As we rode up to the top it quickly got colder, so we pulled off to put the leather jackets on. A little bit higher and we now had our chaps and gloves on. Then it started raining on us, then it stopped, but as we got close to the top it started snowing on us! By the time we got to the top it was blue skies over our head and no precipitation, we had actually gotten above the storm clouds.

And oh yeah, the road is kinda scary too...

Mohonky

Is there a difference between the grip levels of the cars in custom events and career?

When I tried a custom event for the first time I was amazed at how mucn grip I had and I was carving along the Greece track thinking wow these group B cars are staggering. I've now just bougt the same car in career and I am not driving nearly as well as I did in the custom event. The car definitely has the same power but Maybe the setup of the car is different because its definitely not handling the bumps or holding its line like it did in custom event, it is fighting and darting all over the place.

Makikou

Is there a difference between the grip levels of the cars in custom events and career?

When I tried a custom event for the first time I was amazed at how mucn grip I had and I was carving along the Greece track thinking wow these group B cars are staggering. I've now just bougt the same car in career and I am not driving nearly as well as I did in the custom event. The car definitely has the same power but Maybe the setup of the car is different because its definitely not handling the bumps or holding its line like it did in custom event, it is fighting and darting all over the place.

Did you run the same stage? There are varied grip levels between Heavy, Medium and Light gravel.

Ark

How do people rank the locations, personally:

Monaco >> Greece > Wales

Greece > Monaco >> Wales

I don't know why, but I fall off the track all the time in Wales. It's so much bumpier and it's taking me forever to get to grips with it.

I expected him to rag on it a lot more than he did, but I agree with most of what he says in that video. I'm really looking forward to what this game can become later on in the year, it has so much potential.

wouwie

I've been watching some streams since the game was released and the game looks awesome. It's basically everything i hoped for in a new Codemasters racing game. It's going to be interesting to see how the game will evolve in the coming months but what's there seems to be a solid base to build on.

I'm mainly a console gamer which means i probably will not be able to play this (unless a console version comes out) but i look forward to see how this game evolves.

On a sidenote, anyone know how well this would run on i7 GT740M 6Gb laptop?

MaxiLive

I've been watching some streams since the game was released and the game looks awesome. It's basically everything i hoped for in a new Codemasters racing game. It's going to be interesting to see how the game will evolve in the coming months but what's there seems to be a solid base to build on.

I'm mainly a console gamer which means i probably will not be able to play this (unless a console version comes out) but i look forward to see how this game evolves.

On a sidenote, anyone know how well this would run on i7 GT740M 6Gb laptop?

Probably really well, may need to turn down some effects but should run okay on that!

Mengy

Man, this game is good.

I ran the daily race last night and I was actually doing very well right up until just a couple turns from the finish, where I came into an icy 90 just a bit too hot, slammed my car grill first into a tree, and wrecked so bad that my car was totaled!

So then I ran a few championship races and earned enough money to buy my second car, the 1970's Ford. That allowed me to race the weekly challenge, so I went straight into it with my new car to see how it drives. I love the Ford, compared to the FWD Mini Cooper it drives so much better to me, so much more controllable.

I think I'm in love with this game....

Anyone without the latest PC specs, been getting a "slow motion" effect when playing the game and racing through a stage whenever the FPS drops below 60?

I originally thought it was the tree or texture quality, i can have both of those at High without issue. But when I bump up the Shader Quality from Ultra Low to Medium, the slowdowns start, id hate to say this but i feel the slowdowns are related to one of the PostFX settings that the ShaderQuality enables... (maybe bloom? or Motion Blur? idk) I just wish I had more control over the PostFx Settings the Shader Quality seemed to enable, PLEASE CODEMASTERS!

That way I could find the setting, turn it off, and play at a solid 60 FPS. The game runs at 60 with Shader Quality at Ultra Low but it looks disgusting at that setting since it disables shadows and a whole host of settings.

razu

Woah. Hard to believe after suffering the same problem in 5 o 6 different computers for 8 years. It's a mild microstuttering (even when every framerate program measures locked 60 fps), which only can be avoided restarting the race.

Random footage in youtube of the pc version showing the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NjB5nxlgC4&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-6IBKK6So&t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji94fIhylis&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfJZFvy6iB8&t=1m2s

Well, I'd take a look when I get in the office... only, they made us all redundant when we finished the game! :D

Has anyone encountered and fixed this issue?

Very often during a race I shift to the next gear with my G27 H-shifter, and the game doesn't register it correctly. It shows as being in neutral. I have to press the clutch, put the gear stick in neutral, let go of the clutch, press the clutch again, shift to the gear I wanted to be in and release the clutch again. This happens like 70% of the race.
It's not a mechanical problem. Assetto Corsa and other games don't give me this issue. Is it because the cars have sequential gearboxes and if so, why does it work sometimes?
It happens mostly in 3th and 4th gear, 1st and 2nd are fine. I am so slow I never get into 5th.

Any fixes, lovely GAF?

Top Bottom