• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

any idea when online and leagues are going to be going for this game? i do love it, but i'm forever reminded that the reason i still buy games when they're new is that racing/competitive games like this are 100% always better against humans instead of boring ai where i place the same most of the time lol (even if it's against ghosts or non congruent times its still leagues better)

razu

any idea when online and leagues are going to be going for this game? i do love it, but i'm forever reminded that the reason i still buy games when they're new is that racing/competitive games like this are 100% always better against humans instead of boring ai where i place the same most of the time lol (even if it's against ghosts or non congruent times its still leagues better)

Leagues are in right now. PvP Rallycross is due in August.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Has anyone encountered and fixed this issue?

Very often during a race I shift to the next gear with my G27 H-shifter, and the game doesn't register it correctly. It shows as being in neutral. I have to press the clutch, put the gear stick in neutral, let go of the clutch, press the clutch again, shift to the gear I wanted to be in and release the clutch again. This happens like 70% of the race.
It's not a mechanical problem. Assetto Corsa and other games don't give me this issue. Is it because the cars have sequential gearboxes and if so, why does it work sometimes?
It happens mostly in 3th and 4th gear, 1st and 2nd are fine. I am so slow I never get into 5th.

Any fixes, lovely GAF?

Looks like the old clutch bug that also affects GRID and other DIRT games, if the clutch is not fully pressed or not really in sync, the gear is not registered.

You can edit the clutch's saturation in the lg_g27.xml file in the input folder of the game, set it to a lower value, so even if you press it halfway or if it's being released while changing gear, gear is registered.

epmode

6 hours into this and I still can't pull off a podium finish, I'm so awful.

You didn't accidentally set the difficulty over Professional or whatever?

It's tough to get the hang of a realistic rally game if you're more familiar with arcadey racers. It's better to take a turn slowly than run off the road so you just have to be cautious. Once you're able to survive a run, getting better with the handbake around hairpin turns should really improve your times. That's how it worked for me, anyway.

Leagues are in right now. PvP Rallycross is due in August.

are they, i couldn't connect the first couple days, i'll have to see how that's fixed now. if they're in why don't we have a gaf league yet?

also pvp only gonna be ralycross? give us ghost simotaneous racing like WRC. it's fun! no reason not to include that if it's not on the menu now. no one wants to race AI in competitive games when there are humans around IMO, i'd much rather deal with people who face the same mental obstacles as i do vs a barely random number generator.

also pvp only gonna be ralycross? give us ghost simotaneous racing like WRC. it's fun! no reason not to include that if it's not on the menu now. no one wants to race AI in competitive games when there are humans around IMO, i'd much rather deal with people who face the same mental obstacles as i do vs a barely random number generator.

I don't think it's just RX. DiRT 3 had PvP for every single mode from what I remember. Rallies could be done simultaneously as ghosts, or with collision but using staggered starts.

MaLDo

Well, I'd take a look when I get in the office... only, they made us all redundant when we finished the game! :D

Awesome and thank you. The problem is very clear if you start a 'quick race' and after a few seconds, go to pause menu and select 'restart'. The game is fully smooth after restarting. I always thought this must have an easy fix having source code but whatever.

Afro

It's too easy to full throttle out of hairpins while maintaining perfect traction. Force me to be a bit more conservative on the throttle in 1st/2nd until I hit the higher gears on long straights.

razu

Awesome and thank you. The problem is very clear if you start a 'quick race' and after a few seconds, go to pause menu and select 'restart'. The game is fully smooth after restarting. I always thought this must have an easy fix having source code but whatever.

Dude, I think you misunderstood. They shut the studio in 2008. And besides, we didn't make the PC version!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You didn't accidentally set the difficulty over Professional or whatever?

It's tough to get the hang of a realistic rally game if you're more familiar with arcadey racers. It's better to take a turn slowly than run off the road so you just have to be cautious. Once you're able to survive a run, getting better with the handbake around hairpin turns should really improve your times. That's how it worked for me, anyway.

There's a difficulty setting?

Just got the game last night. Only had a chance to play a few races. Glad that my PC can run it on high with some ultra and stay around 60.

Very fun and great game so far, also I am WAY out of practice haha. Reminds me a bit more of the first Dirt and that is very very welcome.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Any word if they're gonna implement tire marks on the track? Sega Rally Revo (and even RSC2 on Xbox!) had it almost a decade ago and it was amazing

Pimpbaa

They really need to reevaluate what the recommended specs are. I'm playing this on an old i7 950 with 6GB of ram and a Geforce 660 Ti and I get a constant 60fps with the ultra settings with a few tweaks (turned back shadows and ambient occlusion to high). Other than that I'm in love with the game so far. Now if I can only get my my lovely Stratos through a race without beating the crap out of it. Also hope we get more tracks with snow.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Want to know what really sucks?

Carving your way through a night race and doing a good job of it until you come into a gravel turn too fast, smack a pile of logs, and knock out your headlights!!!!!

Q162fT6.jpg

Yeah, I had to slow down a bit after that just to finish at all, very hard to see with just moonlight. Thank God it wasn't raining!!!

epmode

Only on freeplay mode it seems. Considering the difficulties are named after the championships (open, clubman, professional, etc), I think the career difficulty scales with each championship and not an option.

Oh, I noticed in in freeplay but didn't realize that it doesn't carry over to the career mode.

DD

Guys, I see you all the time mentioning the terrain deformation feature, and I mean no disrespect for your wishes, but let's not forget that this game is being made with an engine that everybody thought that was set to retirement, and that's one big thing to add on an engine that's at the end of it's life cycle. Yeah, that would be cool, but being more realistic here, I think it's better to ask for things that would make this game more fun instead of more pretty, like investing in tracks development (lot's of 'em alongside with a great gameplay mechanics is what makes a great rally game) instead of tech development of a practically dead engine. So, If I could ask anything from the Codies, Id ask for a ton of tracks.

My real issue with the tech they're using is the way they are making the vegetation now. I know that they implemented a new vegetation technology in Grid Autosport, and it worked well in providing great looking 3D grass while not hitting so much the performance. Sometimes you could notice some small dithering here and there, but the results were good overall. But using this tech in Dirt Rally seems like a mistake, since here the vegetation needs to be much more tall and dense, and because of that, there's dithering everywhere. I just booted Dirt 3 and played a few stages, and the old vegetation there looks better, without that weird transparency artifacts and - just a guessing here - it feels less costly on the performance. O Id go back to the old vegetation tech, but I have a feeling that it's too late to change that. =/

On the question of our favorite countries so far, Id put Wales > Greece > Monte Carlo.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I've been loving this so much. Its been far too long since a proper rally game has grabbed me. As long as Codies keeps up with the updates I feel like my money has been well spent. Well done gents!

I've been loving this so much. Its been far too long since a proper rally game has grabbed me. As long as Codies keeps up with the updates I feel like my money has been well spent. Well done gents!

They have updates planned through at least November (not including any patches or tweaks) so everything should be good on that front

Mengy

Got my first race win, 1st place on an icy Monaco stage!

Which led to me getting my first podium finish for a championship, snagged 3rd place overall!

I'm starting to improve, I can feel myself using the handbrake without even thinking about it and weaving through turns from the co-driver calls alone. I think I might like Dirt Rally better than RBR, it's struck a good balance between fun and sim that I really find compelling.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
For folks running a 360 pad, try turning the steering sensitivity down to 25. Complete game changer for me.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I can only make it to the first corner in the first race of the Championship then the game crashes to desktop and tries to install then says servers are busy. Rince & Repeat.

Intel i5 o/c to 3.2ghz
8gb DDR
GTX460
Everything set to medium.

I love the game, but it has crashed on me five times on a particular greek stage, keep forgetting the game. Problem is, it crashes so bad i have to manually power down my PC. :(

Also, i keep losing my progress so to avoid the hassle i'll just avoid events in Greece until there's a patch. Anyone else experiencing hard crashes?

GeoGonzo

I crash all the time but mostly against trees in Wales, sorry.

So, anyone with a G27... Is there a better handbrake keybind than the default? I assume its on the right side of the wheel due to british devs placing the shifter on the left (aka:wrong) side, but even if I change it to other wheel button it still feels incredibly awkward.

Oh, and a team management question! Perks: Once you buy one, do you have it unlocked for every other engineer too or do you pay the same fee whenever you asign it? And can you change your mind and switch them around?

They really need to reevaluate what the recommended specs are. I'm playing this on an old i7 950 with 6GB of ram and a Geforce 660 Ti and I get a constant 60fps with the ultra settings with a few tweaks (turned back shadows and ambient occlusion to high). Other than that I'm in love with the game so far. Now if I can only get my my lovely Stratos through a race without beating the crap out of it. Also hope we get more tracks with snow.
Thanks for that - didn't know which effects I could set to Ultra.
Benchmark results for i5 3470 @3.2GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 660 at 1080p with NO AA: 51 fps minimum, 65fps average, 78fps maximum
(Ultra preset except for shadows and ambient occlusion reduced to high)

Dilly

Banned
I crash all the time but mostly against trees in Wales, sorry.

So, anyone with a G27... Is there a better handbrake keybind than the default? I assume its on the right side of the wheel due to british devs placing the shifter on the left (aka:wrong) side, but even if I change it to other wheel button it still feels incredibly awkward.

Oh, and a team management question! Perks: Once you buy one, do you have it unlocked for every other engineer too or do you pay the same fee whenever you asign it? And can you change your mind and switch them around?

One of the sequential flippers behind the wheel works pretty good.

Man, I really want this game, but I also want to buy a wheel before diving in. And I can't afford a wheel right now. I do have an Xbox 360 controller, though. Should I wait or... Should I just take the plunge?

Crikey...this game. Relentless! After 3 days of hard slog, I've finally got my time below 4 minutes lol. I need some tips...

How do you get the car to kick out the rear? I'm just slowing down and taking corners carefully...I also get to a point where I'm see-saw steering left to right in exponential degrees until I end up totalling the car. How do I stop this from happening?

Oh, and one thing Codies, I finally made podium last night, and after the event finished...nothing to show for my struggle...a little podium animation wouldn't go astray to mark the occasion :)

Ark

Crikey...this game. Relentless! After 3 days of hard slog, I've finally got my time below 4 minutes lol. I need some tips...

How do you get the car to kick out the rear? I'm just slowing down and taking corners carefully...I also get to a point where I'm see-saw steering left to right in exponential degrees until I end up totalling the car. How do I stop this from happening?

Oh, and one thing Codies, I finally made podium last night, and after the event finished...nothing to show for my struggle...a little podium animation wouldn't go astray to mark the occasion :)

I've only started using the handbrake for hairpins. For everything else I just modulate the brake & throttle, works pretty well on the RWD cars though I haven't had a chance to test it on the AWD cars yet.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Want to know what really sucks?

Carving your way through a night race and doing a good job of it until you come into a gravel turn too fast, smack a pile of logs, and knock out your headlights!!!!!

There is a WRC driver called Kevin Abbring who drives for Hyundai that got talking to us on Twitter just after launch, the guy has been top of the DiRT Daily a few times this week to a point where some of the other players had been calling him a cheat (lol).

He sent us a video of him nailing yesterday's event and I just uploaded it to the DiRT YouTube account. If anybody needs any tips he's your man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPuk2ECaIQ

Damnit, I bought a G27 yesterday. Anyone else use one? How did you bind the handbreak if so? I find it hard to find a good button placement to bind it.

TJP

There is a WRC driver called Kevin Abbring who drives for Hyundai that got talking to us on Twitter just after launch, the guy has been top of the DiRT Daily a few times this week to a point where some of the other players had been calling him a cheat (lol).
Nice video. I can see why people think he's a cheat - talk about smooth and fast. Let me guess: he's handsome too! What a bastard 8)

Can you get him into the studio to help with the sim? It would be fantastic to have a WRC driver give feedback along with your own rally ace. I'm sure this has already been discussed but it can't hurt to ask on here.

GeoGonzo

I bind it on button 7, it's the top left one, so I can still press it in turns even if I change gears with my right hand.
This is what I'm currently using too, but tonight I'll try using the shifters behind the wheel as Dilly suggested.

I'm also considering going from clutch + shifter to shifter only: I'd still use the clutch but I'm starting to get tired of the clutch not working unless its at 100%.

Mengy

He sent us a video of him nailing yesterday's event and I just uploaded it to the DiRT YouTube account. If anybody needs any tips he's your man.

Yeah, he did a much better job of it than I did, wow does he make it look effortless. You can see the log pile that took out my headlights at the 3:10 mark, I just came into it too fast and didn't compensate enough or something.

Whoa ... excellent! Effortless indeed ... few tips in there alright .. thanks for that ...

Helznicht

Sorcery.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Nice video. I can see wy people think he's a cheat - talk about smooth and fast. Get me guess: he's handsome too! What a bastard 8)

Can you get him into the studio to help with the sim? It would be fantastic to have a WRC driver give feedback along with your own rally ace. I'm sure this has already been discussed but it can't hurt to ask on here.

He does appear to be quite the handsome chap yes. As for him coming in he's already booked a flight! How awesome is that!?

kazinova

Got a podium in an event on Open and it felt like an accomplishment. Each individual stage I can get a high finish, but the moment I have to keep a car alive for four stages or more in a row... I like hitting trees too much.

Using the H-pattern on my G27 as a ghetto handbrake is really effective (and makes this feel way cooler than it should). I just use the paddle shifters for gears and use 4th gear on the H-pattern for the handbrake.

This game might make me finally build a racing seat...

Karak

Still loving it and as I said in my review. IN a way...the game feels almost like Dark Souls Rally Edition. The amount of learning and retrying and continual feedback loop is mystifyingly appreciated.

Mengy

Still loving it and as I said in my review. IN a way...the game feels almost like Dark Souls Rally Edition. The amount of learning and retrying and continual feedback loop is mystifyingly appreciated.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing last night. Dirt Rally feels like the Dark Souls of racing games. I'm sitting here at work thinking how I won't get to play until late tonight, and I really want to play.

Top Bottom