• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

addyb

Still loving it and as I said in my review. IN a way...the game feels almost like Dark Souls Rally Edition. The amount of learning and retrying and continual feedback loop is mystifyingly appreciated.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing last night. Dirt Rally feels like the Dark Souls of racing games. I'm sitting here at work thinking how I won't get to play until late tonight, and I really want to play.

This.

I've recently finished DSII and I'm halfway through a DS play through. This was getting rave reviews and I've been hankering for a proper point to point rally game for years.

Had a quick go before and did pretty crap but I loved it. Just need to practice. Have GAF got a league setup? Not looked through the thread yet.

Looks like the old clutch bug that also affects GRID and other DIRT games, if the clutch is not fully pressed or not really in sync, the gear is not registered.

You can edit the clutch's saturation in the lg_g27.xml file in the input folder of the game, set it to a lower value, so even if you press it halfway or if it's being released while changing gear, gear is registered.

That did help a bit! Sometimes it still doesn't register but it's not as often as before. Thanks!

Dirt Rally feels like the Dark Souls of racing games.
dirtrallydsz2sx3.jpg

Funny, I was thinking the same thing last night. Dirt Rally feels like the Dark Souls of racing games. I'm sitting here at work thinking how I won't get to play until late tonight, and I really want to play.

The Dark Souls reference is perfect. I suddenly have Dirt Rally and Elite Dangerous as my big games and on PC no less. My office looks like an arcade right now.

cackhyena

This might be the game that makes me go out and buy a wheel.

I wonder how many have said this since picking this game up. I'm in that camp. I'm about to put some serious time into Project Cars as well. Last sim I played was GT2. I don't know where this is coming from.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This game has reminded me of RSC2... That game was nuts @ night, especially without headlights.

TJP

He does appear to be quite the handsome chap yes. As for him coming in he's already booked a flight! How awesome is that!?
Ha! I knew he'd be the Lord Flashheart type ;) Glad to read he's coming into the Codemasters office too.

Judging by this thread, the new approach taken by Codemasters is going to pay dividends.

Sothpaw

Game is awesome. I am pretty good at Gran Turismo but this game seems like it requires a totally different skillset. Practiced for 3 hours and was able to take third overall in the first career event (in the 1960s mini). Then I realized it was only "open" difficulty. Am I missing something here, because I had to press to just get third place. I can't even imagine how hard master or elite would be.

I am using a 360 controller maybe that severely caps skill in rally games.

I've only started using the handbrake for hairpins. For everything else I just modulate the brake & throttle, works pretty well on the RWD cars though I haven't had a chance to test it on the AWD cars yet.

Tried your suggestion and there's an improvement already. Cheers!

Game is excellent! Tons more improvement to go tho'..:)

Karak

Game is awesome. I am pretty good at Gran Turismo but this game seems like it requires a totally different skillset. Practiced for 3 hours and was able to take third overall in the first career event (in the 1960s mini). Then I realized it was only "open" difficulty. Am I missing something here, because I had to press to just get third place. I can't even imagine how hard master or elite would be.

I am using a 360 controller maybe that severely caps skill in rally games.

Honestly just keep practicing, understand that many times flooring it, even in a straight away may not be the best plan and understand all the differences between. Handbrake, brake and gas, and how the car handles when using them at the same time and feathering them and so forth.

I think the difficulty is perfect as 3 hours wouldn't let you be a master anyway:) But I am a hardass when it comes to that kind of stuff for some reason.

I can say the game is limited fairly severely by not having a good testing/tutorial section. I know a good number of my subs aren't getting it purely because it does require a good deal of changes to gameplay and they don't want to keep restarting races or live in that confusion. I think many are holding out to see if something comes our way.
What would be awesome is a loop mode where maybe a 1 mile track was set up where most idea could be practiced and you could just go out and test your ability in the various facets needed again and again and again.

Sothpaw

Honestly just keep practicing, understand that many times flooring it, even in a straight away may not be the best plan and understand all the differences between. Handbrake, brake and gas, and how the car handles when using them at the same time and feathering them and so forth.

I think the difficulty is perfect as 3 hours wouldn't let you be a master anyway:) But I am a hardass when it comes to that kind of stuff for some reason.

I can say the game is limited fairly severely by not having a good testing/tutorial section. I know a good number of my subs aren't getting it purely because it does require a good deal of changes to gamepaly and they don't want to keep restarting races. What would be awesome is a loop mode where maybe a 1 mile track was set up where most idea could be practicied and you could just go out and test your ability in the various facets needed.

Well I didn't even know that a handbrake existed until now so thumbs up!

What would be awesome is a loop mode where maybe a 1 mile track was set up where most idea could be practiced and you could just go out and test your ability in the various facets needed again and again and again.

That is such a perfect idea.

I wonder how many have said this since picking this game up. I'm in that camp. I'm about to put some serious time into Project Cars as well. Last sim I played was GT2. I don't know where this is coming from.

I already own a wheel, but this is the game that'll push me over the edge to by an actual cockpit. Looking at an Obutto Ozone sometime this year now.

I've been able to get away with the ol' desk set up for track games, but Dirt Rally is so physical I find my self pulling the wheel off the desk or my chair moving around too much.

I've managed to convince the missus as the Ozone can double as an ergo workstation with its keyboard/mouse table!

addyb

This game is brilliant. Feels good to play a proper rally game again. It's damn hard for me. I'm well out of practice and never been the best rally driver so I'm finishing 5th in the career events. Mainly down to stupidly coming off the track and getting stung by 10-14 sec penalties. Just need to practice, practice and more practice. I am improving on my times each attempt so I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

leng jai

There's something oddly satisfying with the handling in this game despite my woeful skills. The barebones aspect has a certain charm to it I have to admit. You pretty much just go straight in and start racing (crashing) solo in career.

Can someone give me some tips on taking hairpin turns on a pad? I'm still using the Mini Cooper and I either take the turn way too fast and crash or go so slow my car almost stops.

Hakkelus

They should make rally school mode like there was in RBR. I mean, there's so many youtube videos where the driver has no idea what he's doing. Teaching you to break to get more grip on the front wheels, when to use throttle and break at the same time, scandinavian flick, timing of hand brake use etc. I bet many frustrated drivers would go "Ah, now I get it!" and enjoy the game even more.

So after a good 3 hour slog on Saturday night I went to bed with circa 75K in the bank. I was on my way to purchasing a nice shiny new 70's car on Sunday morn (and maybe another member for the team).

Started back up on Sunday afternoon, and all I had in the credit bank was 15K. Anyone else experienced anything like this? No biggie, I'll just have to race again, and lawdie knows I need the practice ...

Karak

So after a good 3 hour slog on Saturday night I went to bed with circa 75K in the bank. I was on my way to purchasing a nice shiny new 70's car on Sunday morn (and maybe another member for the team).

Started back up on Sunday afternoon, and all I had the credit bank was 15K. Anyone else experienced anything like this? No biggie, I'll just have to race again, and lawdie knows I need the practice ...

No sir and your handling it well I would have a French stroke if that happened to me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Using the H-pattern on my G27 as a ghetto handbrake is really effective (and makes this feel way cooler than it should). I just use the paddle shifters for gears and use 4th gear on the H-pattern for the handbrake.

This game might make me finally build a racing seat...

You know, I've been thinking of building a sim pit for years now. Originally I wanted to make one for FSX and Falcon 4.0 and other various flight sims, but I never started one. Later I thought it would also be nice to have for driving games like Dirt 1 & 2 and GT Legends, and even for Euro Truck Simulator 2. Now, in the past few months I've again really contemplated building a pit for Elite Dangerous. But I've never started making one. And NOW, I keep thinking how it would be so great if I had a sim pit for Dirt Rally.

And honestly, its not like I couldn't just play everything while sitting in a sim pit. Sitting in a nice comfortable bucket seat, built in 5-position surround sound, large screen, customizable keyboard / mouse / HOTAS / wheel controls. I could even play things like Civ 5, Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, Audiosurf, Diablo 3, Counterstrike, hell every game would probably be better in it.

Maybe it's time I just buckle down and actually BUILD myself a damn sim pit....

I might need to run it by the girlfriend first though.....

kazinova

Maybe it's time I just buckle down and actually BUILD myself a damn sim pit....

I might need to run it by the girlfriend first though.....

If I wasn't in the middle of house shopping I'd already have bought a bucket, seat rails and a bunch of tubing. Any good designs out there for me to consider?

I could just buy a seat from someone but I think I'd feel like I was putting my degree to good use constructing my own.

I really hope the devs get the FFB sorted asap. I appreciate that Pikes Peak is being worked on, but atm the only thing I need from this game is major FFB improvements. I've read that they understand there's issues, and it's going to take time to make changes, but the FFB issue to me seems like a "drop everything we're working on, we need to address this before we do anything else to the game". The game is borderline unplayable with FFB on, yikes.

Mengy

I really hope the devs get the FFB sorted asap. I appreciate that Pikes Peak is being worked on, but atm the only thing I need from this game is major FFB improvements. I've read that they understand there's issues, and it's going to take time to make changes, but the FFB issue to me seems like a "drop everything we're working on, we need to address this before we do anything else to the game". The game is borderline unplayable with FFB on, yikes.

Oh? I'm not really noticing much of an issue with my G27, what is wrong with it?

Oh? I'm not really noticing much of an issue with my G27, what is wrong with it?

It's been brought up a few times in this thread. It's not realistic, and the big one for me is the counter steering when I'm sliding the car into corners, or making corrections. Everything feels backwards. I drift a real car, and this game feels nothing like what driving a real car feels like.

Whoa I didnt even realize this was a thing until now.

Im wanting to get a racing game but wanted it for my PS4. Never really tried racing on PCs, and DiRT Rally is exclusive to PC as far as I know, so maybe Ill have to try it..

Pinewood

If I wasn't in the middle of house shopping I'd already have bought a bucket, seat rails and a bunch of tubing. Any good designs out there for me to consider?

I could just buy a seat from someone but I think I'd feel like I was putting my degree to good use constructing my own.

Look at a pic and wing it. Thats what ai would do.

There is a WRC driver called Kevin Abbring who drives for Hyundai that got talking to us on Twitter just after launch, the guy has been top of the DiRT Daily a few times this week to a point where some of the other players had been calling him a cheat (lol).

He sent us a video of him nailing yesterday's event and I just uploaded it to the DiRT YouTube account. If anybody needs any tips he's your man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPuk2ECaIQ
A little late to the party on this, but here ya go:

https://youtu.be/-G2IyIwn3LY

Mengy

Did Dirt Rally always have cards? Because after 8 hours of gameplay I just earned my first one, I hadn't even bothered to see if it had cards or not before.

Mogwai

Put a couple of hours into the game tonight. It feels very solid. Still clear that's it's an early access. It's all very barebone, but it plays very well and looks great.

However, in certain stages you can see the lighting being applied to surfaces as you get closer. It looks like "lighting pop-in". I think it was during one of the Monte Carlo stages. Anyone else who've noticed this?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just learned something new. You can be so awful at this game, that it'll actually downgrade your progress in career mode. It kicked me out of clubman back into open.

DJ_Lae

I just learned something new. You can be so awful at this game, that it'll actually downgrade your progress in career mode. It kicked me out of clubman back into open.

I did that to myself by backing out of a championship. I had entered it just to do one round and earn enough money to buy a Group B car, and figured it would just keep my place as is.

Nope.

Makes earning the achievement for a class victory easier, I guess.

DD

Lol, the same happened to me. I had no money for a group B car, so I started a Pro championship with an 80's RWD BMW M3, but ragequit after blowing one tire right at the beginning of a long stage. When I tried to start a new one, I was set back to the Clubman. ;(

Finally managed to get some time in. Holy crap, what a weird experience. I've played rally games before (though I jumped straight from Colin McRae Rally 2.0 to the present-day DiRT series and missed Rallisport/Richard Burns) but I've never been so stressed out just from the PACE NOTES. I legit screwed up a turn and drove into a temporary barrier just because I missed where I was in the pace notes. The driving's pretty great too, though I think my DFGT's rotation settings are probably way too high at 788 degrees (why on earth did my drivers default to 788 degrees??!?).

I was really proud of almost coming in 6th in my very first event until I got stuck in the inside of a corner, tried to back out, and ended up rolling down a cliff into early retirement. This game is so great, save for the crash-to-desktop every time I try to open a menu while in a race.

Makikou

Drove the first stage of the weekly rally yesterday with the Stratos since i don't own either Delta S4 or the Integrale HF. Here's a replay of it because it went pretty damn well in my opinion. Felt good with the setup, i think next thing i could do to it is lower the front ride height a bit for more front tire grip..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75CvSVhA_tg

MoonGred

I jumped into this game not having played any rally games since the original dirt, and fell in love with it straight away, after struggling for ages with the mini I finally got to a point where I would finish 3rd without getting lucky.
Decided to jump into the 1970s era buying the stratos to begin with and I'm back to square one, I either drive like an old man or DNF.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Started a relaxed league for another site, but if anyone here wants to join it: EG Rally

Events (seasons) run for a week (Current one starts in an hour and ends on Saturday 23:59 CET). A new stage is opened every day and you can repair your car before each stage. Restarts are enabled. If you don't have time to play during the week you can complete all stages on Saturday.

60s cars only since I'm not sure if you can use cars in online leagues that you haven't unlocked.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Hey all,

Just putting together a blog post on the last week of DiRT and with a bit more info about what we're working on next.

I wanted to highlight a couple of Leagues in it though and I wondered if anybody had set up an official GAF league yet?

I encountered the most annoying bug.

I keep getting an 'Controller disconnected' error. I have to restart the game to try it playing with my wheel again, but it hasn't been working for a day now. So weird and so sudden. No issues with Assetto Corsa or other games, so it's a software thing.

justbiglee

Neo Member
I encountered the most annoying bug.

I keep getting an 'Controller disconnected' error. I have to restart the game to try it playing with my wheel again, but it hasn't been working for a day now. So weird and so sudden. No issues with Assetto Corsa or other games, so it's a software thing.

Mind if I ask what controller/wheel you're using?

Top Bottom