• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Ark

I came 4th after the first stage, but fell off the track three times in the second stage and lost like a minute because of it. 20th it is :)

Hopefully the next round will use some RWD cars ;)

DJ_Lae

sanstitreddxqt.png

I was expecting worse!

Go Canada!

I expect most people to be bumped down as more come...I bailed a couple of times when I got overzealous and figured I could push my time a bit (nope).

I'm bad at these games. Very very bad but I am so curious about this one. I just don't want to buy it and regret my purchase, I have a backlog full of impulse purchases I regret already. is there any way to try a demo or something similar to this on PC I any for free before I plunge in?

murgo

Try downloading that DLL file and dropping it at System32 to see if it helps.

It's working again! Turns out that installing the latest all in one runtime package fixed all my stupid errors. The first package I tried was from 2010 and probably missed just the stuff Dirt needs to run. Thanks for your help!

27th in the league event... meh :D

Ark

I did a 5-lap race in PCars this morning and while I can tell I'm going to enjoy that game a fair bit, it didn't capture me anywhere near as much as Dirt Rally has.

I'm still seriously, seriously impressed with how good this game is even in early access. I can't reiterate that enough.

Really can't wait for Pikes Peak.

Kryten

Finished in the upper tier on yesterday's daily, my first. Nerve wracking stuff, but I'll take it. Currently bringing up the rear in the GAF league, tonnes of room for improvement. I'm slightly in awe of how nice the online stuff is, it's not what I would have expected from Codies.

cabot

It may have been a mistake to use the DS4 for the first time on the NeoGAF league race. I totalled my car within seconds and gave myself a big DNF.

Oops!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I did a 5-lap race in PCars this morning and while I can tell I'm going to enjoy that game a fair bit, it didn't capture me anywhere near as much as Dirt Rally has.

I'm still seriously, seriously impressed with how good this game is even in early access. I can't reiterate that enough.

Really can't wait for Pikes Peak.

I know I will eventually buy both Assetta Corsa and Project Cars but I'm just not in a rush too. For some reason I've always felt mediocre about the asphalt racers like GT Legends and Grid but I've always loved and spazzed over the rally racing games. Something about racing in the muck and dirt just makes it more fun to me. Maybe it's the scenery while racing that makes rally racers more exciting to me. Maybe it's the drifting and jumps and bouncing. It could be the hill climbs and exciting downhills. Maybe it's the feeling of being on a knife's edge for the entire race, of being right on the line between a good run and flying down an embankment or smacking into a tree.

Whatever the reason, I absolutely love rally games and buy them day one but usually wait to buy asphalt pounders on sale. It's why each Dirt game left me less and less impressed with each one (Dirt 1 > Dirt 2 >>> Dirt 3).

At least, that is, until fucking Dirt Rally came along.

DD

That's the beauty of DR's Early Access, more stuff is on the way. It's like you've already purchased the season pass! So just hang in there. If it's your thing, work on perfecting your times on the courses.

Also, did Codemasters post a stealth update with trading cards? I was surprised to see them in my inventory last night and the store page doesn't mention them as being enabled.

Yeah, is nice to know that there's more to come, but the previous Dirts taught me that I shouldn't expect much. Come on, Codies, change that perception! :3

I'm just the opposite, after 10 hours I'm nowhere near bored. I've only bought two cars so far and there are lots of cars I've not even driven yet. Plus I really need to practice more so I can master the tracks that are in the game now.

I feel like I'm just getting started with this game. I'm really looking forward to Pikes Peak though, it's always been one of my favorite rally areas in every game I've played it in. It's also the only rally course I've actually been to in real life.
Well, reformulating what I've said, I confess that I'm not really bored yet. It's just that thing, you know, "oh, Monte Carlo again. Now Greece. I've seen that turn before. Oh, here comes that tricky part. Need to be careful two turns from here". :p

It's working again! Turns out that installing the latest all in one runtime package fixed all my stupid errors. The first package I tried was from 2010 and probably missed just the stuff Dirt needs to run. Thanks for your help!

27th in the league event... meh :D

Yay! /o/

I know I will eventually buy both Assetta Corsa and Project Cars but I'm just not in a rush too. For some reason I've always felt mediocre about the asphalt racers like GT Legends and Grid but I've always loved and spazzed over the rally racing games. Something about racing in the muck and dirt just makes it more fun to me. Maybe it's the scenery while racing that makes rally racers more exciting to me. Maybe it's the drifting and jumps and bouncing. It could be the hill climbs and exciting downhills. Maybe it's the feeling of being on a knife's edge for the entire race, of being right on the line between a good run and flying down an embankment or smacking into a tree.

Whatever the reason, I absolutely love rally games and buy them day one but usually wait to buy asphalt pounders on sale. It's why each Dirt game left me less and less impressed with each one (Dirt 1 > Dirt 2 >>> Dirt 3).

Wait, you're telling me that you don't enjoy those super modern circuits built around modern flashy buildings in the middle of a desert?

Welcome to the club.

DD

That Audi is perfection on wheels. *¬*

Anyway, guys, are we planing just two races per week on the GAF league? How will it work? How long it will be? Will we use the cars from the 60's 'til the end?

No it's one I've never attempted. It does not say or do anything when I try to enter it.

Aw man, this sux. =/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've been waiting forever to Project Cars' release. I finally got my hands on it last night, and played about 8 races in the career. It was fantastic... but... all I could think about was Dirt Rally. Ended up closing down CARS and playing Rally for the rest of the night.

This game is too damn good.

In my case, I blame Sega Rally for this :p
I feel the same way you do. I'll buy Project Cars day 1 tho (and a t300rs, so exciting!)

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Anyway, guys, are we planing just two races per week on the GAF league? How will it work? How long it will be? Will we use the cars from the 60's 'til the end?
Current season is two stages per day. (Next set should open in about 6 hours). From Sunday on it's 7 events per week with two new stages each day. If people want more stages than we can change that. I'm also planning to mix up the cars a bit more next week.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Probably a good idea to go with more than one class seeing how we only have three environments at the moment. Might get boring to use the same car over and over again.
We could also have specific cars for each stage.

I feel the same way but Project Cars has those old cigar F1 cars so there will be a lot of drifting. :)

I do agree with Dirt1 being the best and Dirt 3 being my least liked. I think it was the lack of solitude of just the road and the car.

justbiglee

Neo Member
I've been waiting forever to Project Cars' release. I finally got my hands on it last night, and played about 8 races in the career. It was fantastic... but... all I could think about was Dirt Rally. Ended up closing down CARS and playing Rally for the rest of the night.

This game is too damn good.

Everybody in the studio just did this...

shwK9R8.gif

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Everybody in the studio just did this...

shwK9R8.gif

LOL!!!!

Dirt Rally is pretty much the reason why I haven't bought PCars yet, I must admit. For the next few weeks my game time will consist of going back and forth between Dirt Rally, Euro Truck Sim 2, and Kerbal Space Program. I wish I had more free time, hah!

bindleford

Neo Member
It's nice to see Codemasters taking a new direction after the way they have been heading. 10+ years since RIchard Burns Rally is a long time to wait for another stab at the cruelly ignored rally sim genre. The physics feel solid, with some room for tweaking, especially the high grip on snow and ice.

I am enjoying the game so far, although only on a pad for now. I will wait for the FFB and steering implementation to be addressed before digging my G27 out of hibernation, I think.

Probably a good idea to go with more than one class seeing how we only have three environments at the moment. Might get boring to use the same car over and over again.
We could also have specific cars for each stage.

I'm good with two events per day. That way o can just hop in and get a quick fix and feel competitive.

If we add different car classes, will need to own a car in that class to compete? Or will will be able to select from 1 or 2 unlocked cars specifically for those events?

DD

Current season is two stages per day. (Next set should open in about 6 hours). From Sunday on it's 7 events per week with two new stages each day. If people want more stages than we can change that. I'm also planning to mix up the cars a bit more next week.

Ah, it's daily then! Fine by me. But isn't it possible to set a number (let's say, 14 stages, for example) per week, instead of setting them on a daily basis? Maybe someone won't be able to play in a certain day, so if he or she misses a day, you know... :p

Just an idea. I don't even know if that's possible. We could even do like 60's cars on the first week, 70's on the second, 80's RWD on the third, Group B on the forth, Group A on the fifth, and finally 2010's in the final week.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I'm good with two events per day. That way o can just hop in and get a quick fix and feel competitive.

If we add different car classes, will need to own a car in that class to compete? Or will will be able to select from 1 or 2 unlocked cars specifically for those events?

From what I've heard you'll be able to compete even if you don't have the right car/class unlocked. Maybe someone here knows for sure if that's the case?

Ah, it's daily then! Fine by me. But isn't it possible to set a number (let's say, 14 stages, for example) per week, instead of setting them on a daily basis? Maybe someone won't be able to play in a certain day, so if he or she misses a day, you know... :p

Just an idea. I don't even know if that's possible. We could even do like 60's cars on the first week, 70's on the second, 80's RWD on the third, Group B on the forth, Group A on the fifth, and finally 2010's in the final week.

The way it's setup now (unless I made a mistake) is that all events can be completed on Saturday. This is similar to the official weekly events. But you make a good point there. Not everybody will have time on Saturday. I can set it up so that you can finish all events from the first day in the next season. Just don't complain about the lack of events for the rest of the week if you do that. :p

This short season is very much a test to see how things go. :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just got first place for the first time! Well, in one section. Came in 4th overall. But yeah! First place!

I second a daily and a two event (maybe 4) would be ideal for me. Go in, give it a go and have fun. I won't get to it everyday but that is fine.

Makikou

Have I mentioned how scary the Stratos is? I was doing good in the Mini, getting 2nd or 3rd. Back to 6th place I go lol...

Throttle control, throttle control. Put brake bias a bit more to the front. Try to throw the car into the corner and NEVER lift in a corner, because that rear will overtake you in a millisecond if you let the weight move away from the rear tires.

DJ_Lae

Finally earned my terminal damage achievement while doing today's daily race...my daughter thought it was hilarious, though.

BVMcv2y.jpg

DD

I remember a Rally game that I had called 'Network Q RAC Rally Championship', made by Magnectic Fields. It was my first rally game, and still is my favorite racing game ever. It had 28 unique stages with varied types of vistas around UK, and it was amazing how "organic" it was. It had small stages of two and a half minutes, some of five or seven minutes, and even a nemesis called 'Pundershaw', that used to consume around 25 minutes to complete. It was really terrifying, and it was amazing how that game used to give me the feeling of going from a place to another in a way that seemed realistic. The game had snow, rain, fog, day and night races, internal camera and even mechanical damage, all that in 1996!

Anyone had this game?

Network_Q_RAC_Rally_Championship.jpg

So, in order to remember the feelings I had with that game, I booter Dirt Rally, put this song on the background ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7DkD1h40RU [my favorite from that 1996 game]), chose a 90's rally car (the blue Subaru Impreza), and ran a Wales stage. And DAMN it felt good...

shwK9R8.gif

ral_001.png

Rallyc_001.png

'
The way it's setup now (unless I made a mistake) is that all events can be completed on Saturday. This is similar to the official weekly events. But you make a good point there. Not everybody will have time on Saturday. I can setup so that you can finish all events from the first day in the next season. Just don't complain about the lack of events for the rest of the week if you do that. :p

This short season is very much a test to see how things go. :)
Ah, cool. We're like little kids now. Things will get serious when we reach Group B then. :3

I'm just giving these suggestions to make things fair for everyone. Sorry if I'm being annoying by any chance. =B

The way it's setup now (unless I made a mistake) is that all events can be completed on Saturday. This is similar to the official weekly events. But you make a good point there. Not everybody will have time on Saturday. I can set it up so that you can finish all events from the first day in the next season. Just don't complain about the lack of events for the rest of the week if you do that. :p

My preference would be to have all the stages unlocked at the beginning of the week so when I do get a night to game I can finish most of them in one sitting. I game mainly on weeknights, I'm usually out on weekends so it's tricky.

DJ_Lae

Whee, probably the only time I'll ever be first on a league event. I expect to be bumped down within the hour.

edit - also, I cannot stop playing this game. Maybe once I've earned enough money in the career mode to purchase every car and then spend the time to unlock all the upgrades, though by that point there will probably be a more efficient upgrade system patched into the game as well as more cars to buy.

DD

The same guy who worked on that game and wrote that tune (Dave Sullivan), does the engines on DiRT Rally.

Small world.
Haha, awesome! If you see him around, tell him that some crazy Brazilian listens to 'Miami Sunset' almost every day
even though I relate it with some gloomy British mountain passes instead of a sunset in Miami.
;D

Tell him that he worked on a masterpiece back then, and seems to be working on another one now.

Probably my biggest gaming related frustration is not playing it's sequence, called Mobil 1 Rally Championship (or Rally Championship 2000). My PC back then wasn't powerful enough to run this extremely advanced graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C2q7XXfla0

No other rally series scratched that itch, even though CMR 04 and 05, and RBR got somewhat close to give me that. Dirt Rally is shaping up to be the game that will make me forget the RC series, finally scratching that old itch of mine.

Can u lock in car view for seasons? That would make it even better imo

locked car setups makes it more a even match of skills I like that actually.

Update: I literally crashed over a cliff after less than a minute ggnore so I'm done for the week or what XD. Oh well the weekly and monthly still gotta get taken down

Probably my biggest gaming related frustration is not playing it's sequence, called Mobil 1 Rally Championship (or Rally Championship 2000). My PC back then wasn't powerful enough to run this extremely advanced graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C2q7XXfla0
I remember that feel. My friend had a much more sophisticated PC - I'd be round at his place playing Mobil 1 for hours just with a keyboard! The stages were very long, and seemed even longer at the time. I remember being obsessed with the Clio V6, because it was so shiny. I think it was a cheat car or an unlock or something... it was ridiculously fast!

Top Bottom