• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Shaneus

No other rally series scratched that itch, even though CMR 04 and 05, and RBR got somewhat close to give me that. Dirt Rally is shaping up to be the game that will make me forget the RC series, finally scratching that old itch of mine.
Question: Does this feel like the game that might make me forget Rallisport Challenge 2?

Question: Does this feel like the game that might make me forget Rallisport Challenge 2?

In atmosphere? Quite possibly.

In physics? Not really. RSC2 is arcadey, this is much heavier and more sim. There will probably never be a game that can dethrone RSC2 mainly just due to my nostalgia, but I'll be damned if this one doesn't come close.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

RSC 2 was much more arcade than this. The draw of this game is the absolutely punishing but fair physics model. No game other than RBR has come this close to such a thrilling experience.

You are going to crash a lot at first. But every run you get slightly better as you understand your car's nuances and how it behaves on different road surfaces. It is extremely rewarding and compelling.

As was said before, this is the Dark Souls of racing games.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just got a G27, and oh my...so much fun. I am consistently hitting the podium now with ease. The only problem I have is a knock sound with the wheel sometimes when I turn right and there's heavy feedback.

I remember a Rally game that I had called 'Network Q RAC Rally Championship', made by Magnectic Fields. It was my first rally game, and still is my favorite racing game ever. It had 28 unique stages with varied types of vistas around UK, and it was amazing how "organic" it was. It had small stages of two and a half minutes, some of five or seven minutes, and even a nemesis called 'Pundershaw', that used to consume around 25 minutes to complete. It was really terrifying, and it was amazing how that game used to give me the feeling of going from a place to another in a way that seemed realistic. The game had snow, rain, fog, day and night races, internal camera and even mechanical damage, all that in 1996!

Anyone had this game?

Yes!!!!!!

Legendary game, i absolutely loved. Din't had a PC at the time, so i just went to a friends house to play it. My first taste of racing wheel was on that game. I still remember Pundershaw and Penmachno if i'm not mistaken. Brutal stages.

The same guy who worked on that game and wrote that tune (Dave Sullivan), does the engines on DiRT Rally.

Small world.

Mindblown...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yep, this is the best way to describe Dirt Rally and it's oh so accurate. Just as punishing but just as rewarding, and I'm just as addicted to Dirt Rally as I was to Dark Souls when I first played it.

I just ran the next two stages for the GAF league and I did much better today, might even move up a couple ranks as a result.

Also just bought myself the Lancia Delta S4 and did the first two stages of the weekly online event, man is the S4 a quick beast! It's so fast that I have to be extra careful with it or I can get out of control very quickly.

I want the Subaru Impreza though. I always love the Subaru rally cars the best in rally games. The fact that I own a 2006 Impreza has absolutely nothing to do with it...

cackhyena

I just got a G27, and oh my...so much fun. I am consistently hitting the podium now with ease. The only problem I have is a knock sound with the wheel sometimes when I turn right and there's heavy feedback.

So it makes that much difference with a wheel? I figured it was kinda similar to fighting games. Some people are just better with sticks than pads, but there is a segment for which that's reversed.

I hate that knocking sound on my G27, it made me not play the rally mode in GT6, is there a way to turn off force feedback for hitting bumps?

Makki

Boughtttt, sold some random stuff on ebay and treated me to this gem. I missed good rally games and I have faith in this one

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So it makes that much difference with a wheel? I figured it was kinda similar to fighting games. Some people are just better with sticks than pads, but there is a segment for which that's reversed.
It's great, it really is. As someone who owns fight sticks, I feel that the wheel is even more important. The feedback you get alone makes the game infinitely more immersive. That and keeping relatively straight through 5 and 6 turns rather than overcompensating with an analog stick is heaven. Oh, and I feel like I have way more control over the throttle. The one thing I've yet to do is try out the h-shifter. I've been having fun with the paddles.

cackhyena

It's great, it really is. As someone who owns fight sticks, I feel that the wheel is even more important. The feedback you get alone makes the game infinitely more immersive. That and keeping relatively straight through 5 and 6 turns rather than overcompensating with an analog stick is heaven. Oh, and I feel like I have way more control over the throttle. The one thing I've yet to do is try out the h-shifter. I've been having fun with the paddles.

Ugh, I keep going back and forth on whether I really wanna go for a wheel sooner than later...and your tipping me in the sooner direction. I was thinking about the throttle problem I've been having in Project Cars. It hasn't been as much of an issue in this game, though. But the dead zone in the sticks...

how come on the dirt website whenever i go to edit a season it never saves, even though i click finished? it always has none of my edits when i go back to the season screen i just wasted 20 minutes trying to make leagues and couldnt get any to save

DD

I remember that feel. My friend had a much more sophisticated PC - I'd be round at his place playing Mobil 1 for hours just with a keyboard! The stages were very long, and seemed even longer at the time. I remember being obsessed with the Clio V6, because it was so shiny. I think it was a cheat car or an unlock or something... it was ridiculously fast!

The Clio V6 was a thing of beauty. Speaking of Renaults, I'm really crossing my fingers hoping to see more cars from the 90's in Dirt Rally, like this classic Renault Megane:

03.jpg

Look, I really, and I mean that I REALLY love the atmosphere of RSC2, but I've never been such a big fan of the game itself. It was too arcadey (nothing against arcade races, I love 'em, but it was more than it should, IMHO), and lacked one big badass long championship, the thing I love the most in rally games.

Dirt Rally is a very different beast, and this beast is hard to tame. But once you do it, man...

It's in early access, so don't expect a full game here, but what we have is enough for many hours of fun, and it's VERY good albeit it's not perfect on all edges yet.

Forget everything you know about the Dirt series. This is something of the likes of Richard Burns Rally, and it's shaping up to be better than that.

Wanna know if I recommend it? Hell, I do!

Yes!!!!!!

Legendary game, i absolutely loved. Din't had a PC at the time, so i just went to a friends house to play it. My first taste of racing wheel was on that game. I still remember Pundershaw and Penmachno if i'm not mistaken. Brutal stages.

Mindblown...
Pundershaw was hell! It was the 9th stage of the game, and easily the most tense by far. It was looong and HARD as hell to finish it without destroying your car.

i wanted to set up an all group B league with 2 or 3 stages per event with all the events open, with service areas each stage but i can't get the website to save any data. that sounds like the most fun way to play this game since the cheaper cars are not nearly as fun IMO. idk why i'd wanna go back to mini racing after the first few hours of campaign when these monsters exist.

Boy, I really cocked up that first stage in Monte Carlo in the GAF league. Second stage was only about 20 seconds off pace (heh, "only") but I lost a full minute in the first stage as well as my rear right tire. Protip: don't use the handbrake when one of your rear tires is gone!

KillerAJD

Anybody else have this happen to them?

Video

Essentially, when I crossed the finish line it didn't stop me, and it also removed the off-track timer and reset zones. I had reset the car just a few feet away from the finish, and think maybe it was related to that (?). I was fine with it (I could see how it would have been a pain in the career mode though), and it was actually cool just driving around without the reset, haha. I think I actually downloaded a mod that did something similar for the first Dirt game way back.

Btw, this game is fucking awesome! Hopefully there's a desert location added (Oh how I wish there was a game that captured even close to something like a Baja 1000 or Dakar, or hell, the Mint 400).

benzy

Anybody else have this happen to them?

Video

Essentially, when I crossed the finish line it didn't stop me, and it also removed the off-track timer and reset zones. I had reset the car just a few feet away from the finish, and think maybe it was related to that (?). I was fine with it (I could see how it would have been a pain in the career mode though), and it was actually cool just driving around without the reset, haha. I think I actually downloaded a mod that did something similar for the first Dirt game way back.

Whoa. I actually wish they would let us cut off the timer and just drive all around. Looks like the tracks are interconnected and can be way longer than what we have now??

OneLetter

Man, so much better now that I switched from keyboard to controller. Scored 7th in today's race, and also slowly playing through career mode.

Quesiton: What camera do you tend to use for this game? I find myself swapping between the first behind-car third-person view, or the direct driver view with steering wheel.

DJ_Lae

Quesiton: What camera do you tend to use for this game? I find myself swapping between the first behind-car third-person view, or the direct driver view with steering wheel.

I have it locked to cockpit cameras for the bonus (small though it might be) and I use the normal one with the visible wheel too. I find it really hard to drive behind the car so I don't mind being confined to the interior views.

Shaneus

In atmosphere? Quite possibly.

In physics? Not really. RSC2 is arcadey, this is much heavier and more sim. There will probably never be a game that can dethrone RSC2 mainly just due to my nostalgia, but I'll be damned if this one doesn't come close.
I think atmosphere is about the best we can hope for. In terms of physics, I'd like to think we came as close as we'd ever get with Sega Rally.

I'd love to see games like this get some kind of an "arcade" mode where the handling/physics take on a PGR4/RSC2-esque "feel" where it's a lot easier to hit drifting sweet spots and such.

I'm really going to have to buy this game, though. Don't know how I could justify it when saving for a house, but fuck... I do want it. I haven't kept up on 360 pad handling, I assume it's okay?

It's between this and pCARS on PS4 (because I *know* my current PC rig will shit the bed with that)

RSC 2 was much more arcade than this. The draw of this game is the absolutely punishing but fair physics model. No game other than RBR has come this close to such a thrilling experience.

You are going to crash a lot at first. But every run you get slightly better as you understand your car's nuances and how it behaves on different road surfaces. It is extremely rewarding and compelling.

I've never played Dark Souls 0_0 (but don't worry, I get the gist of that analogy)
But to put it in a more personal context, it's like pinball. You can't play it and get worse, you'll always get better at it. And if you screw up, you can always backtrack to where you went wrong and try and correct it next time?

One last thing: How forgiving are the minimum/recommended specs? I could run Dirt 3 fine, but that was a while ago. Currently running a 5970/5850 setup here.

One last thing: How forgiving are the minimum/recommended specs? I could run Dirt 3 fine, but that was a while ago. Currently running a 5970/5850 setup here.

I'm not familier enough with AMD's cards but it's very forgiving. It's running on a last gen engine, so you should have no problem getting it to run at 60fps.

On another topic, I DNFd the second league event. Absolutely devastated! It was the first thing I did on the PC when I got home from work, so maybe I should have warmed up first.

DD

For someone who's struggling with the Mini and got a tire puncture at the first stage, sitting currently in 5th is not bad at all! :D
But there's a bunch of people yet to have their runs :(

Mengy

I mostly race from the over dash camera, but sometimes I change to the over hood camera. I don't care much for behind the wheel cam unless I have my TrackIR on, which I've not tried yet with DiRT Rally. And behind the car cams kill my racing skill for some reason, plus there's no sense of speed from back there IMHO!

I think atmosphere is about the best we can hope for. In terms of physics, I'd like to think we came as close as we'd ever get with Sega Rally.

I'd love to see games like this get some kind of an "arcade" mode where the handling/physics take on a PGR4/RSC2-esque "feel" where it's a lot easier to hit drifting sweet spots and such.

I'm really going to have to buy this game, though. Don't know how I could justify it when saving for a house, but fuck... I do want it. I haven't kept up on 360 pad handling, I assume it's okay?

It's between this and pCARS on PS4 (because I *know* my current PC rig will shit the bed with that)

I've never played Dark Souls 0_0 (but don't worry, I get the gist of that analogy)
But to put it in a more personal context, it's like pinball. You can't play it and get worse, you'll always get better at it. And if you screw up, you can always backtrack to where you went wrong and try and correct it next time?

(Can't cut the post down easily on phone, sorry)
For the Xbox pad part: it works perfectly fine. I'm using an Xbox One controller with all assists off, manual transmission and manual starting line handbrake, I've been placing in podiums overall even on the professional championship.

kazinova

Posted a decent time on the first stage of today's NeoGAF League daily. Flew off a cliff on the second stage near the end. Sonofa...

I detest Greece in the FWD cars, I don't know how to slow down effectively for hairpins. I either understeer and overshoot or come to a complete stop half way through the turn. Finally got enough cash for a 70's car, never again Mini, never again.

DD

Posted a decent time on the first stage of today's NeoGAF League daily. Flew off a cliff on the second stage near the end. Sonofa...

I detest Greece in the FWD cars, I don't know how to slow down effectively for hairpins. I either understeer and overshoot or come to a complete stop half way through the turn. Finally got enough cash for a 70's car, never again Mini, never again.

Man, I'm used to the Audi Quattro, and getting back to the Mini surely is a pain in the ass for me too. =/

My laptop is I3 with a GT620M. I'm hitting ~60fps with all minimun but Trees (medium) and particules (medium).

Far from the best but I'm getting the core of experience... I think. Really fun and challenging anyway

Mengy

Anyone know if this will have the Pikes Peak Hill Climb?

Hell yes, Pikes Peak is supposed to come this month. Here is the full list of free updates coming up until November:

2015 April - Early Access Begin
2015 May - PIKES PEAK PACK
2015 June - TARMAC TERROR
2015 June - CLASSIC PACK
2015 July - RALLYCROSS PACK
2015 August - PVP PACK
2015 August - RALLYCROSS EXPANSION
2015 September - FLYING FINLAND
2015 October - MODERN MASTERS
2015 November - WINTER WONDERLAND

Either the game is officially releasing after that or the list will be added to, it hasn't been announced yet. All I know is DiRT Rally has a very good potential to be the best rally racing game of all time, and I say that with complete sincerity and a straight face.

Everdred

Exact same thing happened to me.

One trick I use is to brake properly for the hairpin, and then slam on the accelerator and pull the handbrake when you actually turn in. Seems to give the car more juice, anyways, though I still either turn too tightly or lose momentum in the turn sometimes. Both are preferable to understeering off a cliff or bank into DNF-land, though!

Top Bottom