• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

How I imagine myself driving at Pikes Peak:

giphy.gif

How's gonna be:

tumblr_mgswoaIX1W1qd7u7yo1_400.gif

Sadly, Pikes Peak is fully paved to the top now, so the first gif isn't possible. :(

so yeah i've wasted so much time trying to set up a league but anytime i click 'finished' the season page just reloads, then when i go back to the league homepage season appears to not have been made at all. WTF? i just want to start a group B league bc 70s etc cars are boring, i want to run with the cars that actually have speed and control

I need help. I tried joining the Neogaf league and it says i don't have a lead profile on my racenet account. I tried linking to steam and it says my steam account is already linked to another racenet account.

I have no idea how to solve this. I really hate those stupid systems of multiple accounts and separate logins for everything. The steam account should be enough for the multiplayer but apparently isn't.

DD

I need help. I tried joining the Neogaf league and it says i don't have a lead profile on my racenet account. I tried linking to steam and it says my steam account is already linked to another racenet account.

I have no idea how to solve this. I really hate those stupid systems of multiple accounts and separate logins for everything. The steam account should be enough for the multiplayer but apparently isn't.

Try logging via the Steam button. I had the same problem, but after a while the problem seemed to have solved itself. :p

razu

so yeah i've wasted so much time trying to set up a league but anytime i click 'finished' the season page just reloads, then when i go back to the league homepage season appears to not have been made at all. WTF? i just want to start a group B league bc 70s etc cars are boring, i want to run with the cars that actually have speed and control

Make sure the start time is in the future. Then check the next event and it should be in there.

DJ_Lae

Yikes, was doing relatively okay until the last half of the second round where I bounced off the road and slammed into a tree, twice.

Make sure the start time is in the future. Then check the next event and it should be in there.

hm it doesn't default to a future time? i never edited start time, that might be the cause. wtf that's bizarre that the default start time can't just be like now..

edit: ok i've had it, that still didn't make it save my season. i've created well over a dozen seasons and its never saved for me. i just want to create a nice season with maybe 3-5 stage long stages, no restarts, repairs after every stage, class B cars only but the game just won't let me do it, idk if its a bug or what but i hope someone looks into it.

70s cars are so boring. can someone else make a class B car only no restart repairs every stage season? i feel like it'd be so much more fun than driving that damn mini again

Yikes, was doing relatively okay until the last half of the second round where I bounced off the road and slammed into a tree, twice.

That second round killed me. I think I got to a point where every input I made was the wrong one. Once I rolled the vehicle so bad it made four or five revolutions before finally spitting me out sideways on the track.

Did I mention I hate Wales?

razu

hm it doesn't default to a future time? i never edited start time, that might be the cause. wtf that's bizarre that the default start time can't just be like now..

edit: ok i've had it, that still didn't make it save my season. i've created well over a dozen seasons and its never saved for me. i just want to create a nice season with maybe 3-5 stage long stages, no restarts, repairs after every stage, class B cars only but the game just won't let me do it, idk if its a bug or what but i hope someone looks into it.

70s cars are so boring. can someone else make a class B car only no restart repairs every stage season? i feel like it'd be so much more fun than driving that damn mini again

Oh, sorry man.

Ark

You mean 60's cars ;)

I probably won't bother with the league until it moves onto 70's cars or later, driving the FWD is so lacklustre compared to the others.

DJ_Lae

That second round killed me. I think I got to a point where every input I made was the wrong one. Once I rolled the vehicle so bad it made four or five revolutions before finally spitting me out sideways on the track.

Did I mention I hate Wales?

I think Wales is actually my favourite area of the three currently included, so it's weird I whiffed the second round so badly.

It's also really odd going back to the 60s cars after plowing through two Group B championships. Not bad, just different, as the mini is still fun to throw around corners.

Shaneus

I'm not familier enough with AMD's cards but it's very forgiving. It's running on a last gen engine, so you should have no problem getting it to run at 60fps.
Ah, so it's running on whatever ran Dirt 3? Perfect, I know my system kinda nails it then (and Dirt 3 has been great with crossfire). Woo!

My laptop is I3 with a GT620M. I'm hitting ~60fps with all minimun but Trees (medium) and particules (medium).

Far from the best but I'm getting the core of experience... I think. Really fun and challenging anyway
Woohoo! I don't know what that GPU is like, but I think I can assume it's significantly worse than what I have setup. Glad it runs well for you!

(Can't cut the post down easily on phone, sorry)
For the Xbox pad part: it works perfectly fine. I'm using an Xbox One controller with all assists off, manual transmission and manual starting line handbrake, I've been placing in podiums overall even on the professional championship.
Great! I have a G27 but it's always a pain to setup, so it's great to hear it controls fine with a pad.

Great! I have a G27 but it's always a pain to setup, so it's great to hear it controls fine with a pad.

Bear in mind that you'll still need to get used to it. Even though I'm good with it now, on my first race I was flying off the track everywhere just because I was subconsciously expecting it to behave like DiRT 3.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Whoever is running the Neogaf league needs to invite me so I can take my rightful place at the bottom of the standings.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit. That 5% achievement and no assists isn't playing around. I can get 4 mins on Rome in a custom match against dumb AI, but I can't knock it down to 3 mins to beat the AI with a controller. No matter what I do, I'm not able to get a "smooth speed" down that isn't 45MPH and sliding around on gravel. Ugh. At least with a few assists on, I think the controller would be semi-manageable.

The cliff section is pure pants-shitting terror for me with a controller.

A have a feeling that some people are taking the GAF League a bit too seriously. :p

Hey, don't say that out loud. I LOVE Wales. :(

DID I MENTION I HATE WALES?

Just kidding, I'm sure Wales the country is nice, I just don't seem to do well on Wales the course. And yeah, I probably am taking it too seriously--it's my curse when it comes to multiplayer games. I start out enjoying things because of the novelty, and then inevitably start to hate life when my skills don't match up to where I think they should be, and then eventually I quit for my own sanity. At least here I'm only in indirect competition with everyone, so practicing might actually yield some benefits!

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Weird, it's set to open so no approval required. I guess the site is a bit broken at the moment, cause I can't sign in at all.

So I'm still fighting this purchase because it's pricey and I haven't been into a racing game since GT2 and Sega Rally. I know this game is very challenging and I kind of like the idea of it and all the constant positive press is getting to me. It really does sound like "The Dark Souls of racing games". Is this worth buying if you only have a 360 controller? will I be at that much of a disadvantage?

Infinito

Neo Member
So I'm still fighting this purchase because it's pricey and I haven't been into a racing game since GT2 and Sega Rally. I know this game is very challenging and I kind of like the idea of it and all the constant positive press is getting to me. It really does sound like "The Dark Souls of racing games". Is this worth buying if you only have a 360 controller? will I be at that much of a disadvantage?

I also only have the 360 controller and the first hours of the game were a pain. I almost regretted buying it. Somewhere at 3 hours mark I started to finally get how to drive and it really became a joy. At first it was a struggle to incorporate the co-diver calls into my driving, but now it's often like I fall into a trance driving a long stage.
I now have 15 hours played and I can say I'm at least decent. I played career with 60's Mini and came in 3rd in first championship (open) and 2nd in second championship (clubman). Before entering the career I played around with custom events quite a lot.

I should say that I have no previous experience with sim driving, so it's definitely possible to get into it.
I have been watching YT vids of real rally drivers (mostly the in-cabin camera) for a couple years now. Maybe that has helped me a bit with getting in a skin of a rally driver.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit. That 5% achievement and no assists isn't playing around. I can get 4 mins on Rome in a custom match against dumb AI, but I can't knock it down to 3 mins to beat the AI with a controller. No matter what I do, I'm not able to get a "smooth speed" down that isn't 45MPH and sliding around on gravel. Ugh. At least with a few assists on, I think the controller would be semi-manageable.

The cliff section is pure pants-shitting terror for me with a controller.

HOLY SHIT!! What a difference a good nights sleep (and a quick read of this) does. (Or did they fix the AI being a good minute above me to where they suddenly do 7 minutes?)

W2dKKaa.png

Stock, BTW. No tweaking.

Tougher than it looks, if Codemasters resets all progress a la Killing Floor 2, I'm going to be disappointed (and struggling again)

Wanna play this on my old laptop, too: C2D 2.1GHz with GeForce 9600M GT, but the game doesn't even start with a DirectX10 gfx card.

@justbiglee: Can we expect support for DirectX10 cards in the near future?

I also only have the 360 controller and the first hours of the game were a pain. I almost regretted buying it. Somewhere at 3 hours mark I started to finally get how to drive and it really became a joy. At first it was a struggle to incorporate the co-diver calls into my driving, but now it's often like I fall into a trance driving a long stage.
I now have 15 hours played and I can say I'm at least decent. I played career with 60's Mini and came in 3rd in first championship (open) and 2nd in second championship (clubman). Before entering the career I played around with custom events quite a lot.

I should say that I have no previous experience with sim driving, so it's definitely possible to get into it.
I have been watching YT vids of real rally drivers (mostly the in-cabin camera) for a couple years now. Maybe that has helped me a bit with getting in a skin of a rally driver.

Thanks. I may give it a shot. I need something that's not a moba or fps in my daily activities.

also...lol

flashmouth

Neo Member
Changed my card today from hd4850 to 270x - kiss the error 41 goodbye.
FINALLY I can play the game on a big screen in 1080p, just send my girlfriend shopping lol.

Did some benches using the ingame tool:
preset high min fps 55, max fps 75, avg fps 63
preset very high basically the same

does this mean I'm bottlenecked by my cpu? right now I'm on an i3-2120, my i-3570k will hopefully arrive monday.

S4 or the audi for group b? i like audi the most but i kinda believe its bc i've used it a lot more than the other group bs so i'm biased. i just want control tbh using a controller

also i have absolutely no idea why you are forced to use a website to set up a league. that's silly. it's cool to have the option, but why in the world can't i create one within the compounds of the game? for one thing the website wont even load for me at all sometimes, and when it does it's slow, and even then i can't get a single season schedule to save no matter what i try. idk why you don't give the option in mid game so you don't have to rely on a website that loads bad in ohio lol would probably save bandwidth as well. or is there a way and i'm just missing it?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
S4 or the audi for group b? i like audi the most but i kinda believe its bc i've used it a lot more than the other group bs so i'm biased. i just want control tbh using a controller

also i have absolutely no idea why you are forced to use a website to set up a league. that's silly. it's cool to have the option, but why in the world can't i create one within the compounds of the game? for one thing the website wont even load for me at all sometimes, and when it does it's slow, and even then i can't get a single season schedule to save no matter what i try. idk why you don't give the option in mid game so you don't have to rely on a website that loads bad in ohio lol would probably save bandwidth as well. or is there a way and i'm just missing it?

It's probably so anyone can access it from anywhere to see how the league is doing. I know I've been glancing at it from work and from my tablet from time to time, it's kind of cool to check and see how everyone else is racing while I'm working.

Top Bottom