• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

It's probably so anyone can access it from anywhere to see how the league is doing. I know I've been glancing at it from work and from my tablet from time to time, it's kind of cool to check and see how everyone else is racing while I'm working.

yeah but i'm saying i really hope they add in game functionality. no reason not to have both instead of relying on the website. in game UI saves the bandwidth of that visually busy site anyway. easier to fix bugs on a game ui than a website anyway as one of my browsers wont even load their official website at all.

i lost my lights on today's daily with the wrx. in the forest. at night. in the rain. fml.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Speaking of the website, the start of the next GAF rally season is probably going to be a bit delayed. Can't sign in at all on their website today and it sounds like a few others are having the same problem.

Gandie

So I posted in this thread about getting a wheel. Been playing with it for a few days and I'm really struggling. It's a completely different way of playing racing games. ETS 2 is good for training. Been moving to F12013, but it's tough to stay on the road even. I tried Dirt twice and it's incredibly tough. Like way slower than with the controller.

Any tips on how to secure the pedals on a hardwood floor? They keep sliding around. Thanks.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So I posted in this thread about getting a wheel. Been playing with it for a few days and I'm really struggling. It's a completely different way of playing racing games. ETS 2 is good for training. Been moving to F12013, but it's tough to stay on the road even. I tried Dirt twice and it's incredibly tough. Like way slower than with the controller.

Any tips on how to secure the pedals on a hardwood floor? They keep sliding around. Thanks.

No tips for securing, unless you can put something heavy behind them.

As for struggling at first with a wheel, I think that's pretty normal. I bought mine just before GT5 came out, and played a few races in gt5 prologue and thought I'd make a huge mistake buying one. Stick with it and you'll eventually get the hang of it, and you'll never want to go back to a controller. You're spot on when you say it's a different way to play racing games - you need to kind of shake loose from the bad habits a controller teaches you. Like, you say it's way slower than a controller, but you eventually won't need to be making any sort of large or quick movements (except for correcting slides); rather, you'll be making more precise, smoother movements and minor corrections throughout a race. It just takes practice to get comfortable.

I got a Wheel Stand Pro to mount everything, and it keeps the wheel and pedals in place. Assuming that's not an option for you at the moment, I'd just put a heavy box in front of the pedals or something.

A wheel is a very different experience from a controller so it's no surprise you're struggling, everyone gets that at first. With DiRT Rally specifically, you might have to change your wheel settings to allow a narrower range of rotation (your wheel drivers should handle this). My Driving Force GT was originally set to 700+ degrees but I find it's better at 270, responds faster to input.

DiRT Rally is also maybe not the best starter game for a wheel because so much is going on. ETS2 kind of isn't great either because you're not doing very much steering (though it is hella relaxing!). If you've got a PS3 or Xbox, Gran Turismo or Forza with assists might be a gentler learning curve. (Project CARS might work too, but I haven't played that yet.) Really what needs to happen is you need to get used to driving with the wheel without thinking about how much to turn the wheel or oh crap my foot slipped onto the brake by mistake, and that takes time. You'll get it, though!

Don't get disheartened - there is always a learning curve when you move to a wheel and it's completely normal to be much slower.

But I'd suggest that you're not really using the right games to learn how to use a wheel properly - ETS2 is a pretty unique thing, and the Codemasters games have been gamepad-focused throughout the last generation. The kind of wheel support in sims like Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, iRacing, PCARS, etc are much better in terms of calibration and default FFB settings.

As for securing the pedals - easiest way is to put some kind of block of wood in front of them that pushes against a wall/heavy object.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Do you guys brake with your right or left foot? I've always used my right, but find I'm more responsive when I use both feet (when paddle shifting).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is the store.codemasters.com account different than the one on accounts.codemasters.com? Because that would be stupid and it won't work for me.

edit: That whole racenet site won't let me do anything. Guess I'll try later. Did anyone else have problems linking Steam and Racenet?

Infinito

Neo Member
For folks running a 360 pad, try turning the steering sensitivity down to 25. Complete game changer for me.
Yep, really is. I can feel a better connection to the car now and getting out of hairy situations is easier.
Have driven two custom events (Greece and Wales) after changing the setting and have come in 1st in both; AI on professional.
Thanks!

DD

I reduced to 25%, but I felt that I should increase it a little bit. Raised to 35, then 40, and now I'm back to 50%, lol. I prefer a more responsive input. :p

DD

Man, Today I finished a professional championship in Group B in a Audi Quattro, in third place in the general standings. So I got promoted to the Elite level, bit I didn't had the money to buy a Group A car. So I though about doing a new championship with the Audi, but then decided to buy a 70's RWD Lancia Stratos to take part of the weekly challenge, since I had no Lancia in my garage. And DAMN, that car is awesome! So awesome that I decided to start the elite championship with this "downgrade". I removed all the HUD, booted up my Driveclub songs playlist, and now I'm having a blast with it!

Anyway, I don't know if the studio released a new patch, but it seems that my framerate problems at Monte Carlo are gone now. :D

DD

DID I MENTION I HATE WALES?

Just kidding, I'm sure Wales the country is nice, I just don't seem to do well on Wales the course. And yeah, I probably am taking it too seriously--it's my curse when it comes to multiplayer games. I start out enjoying things because of the novelty, and then inevitably start to hate life when my skills don't match up to where I think they should be, and then eventually I quit for my own sanity. At least here I'm only in indirect competition with everyone, so practicing might actually yield some benefits!

Haha, I got no relation with the country per se. I just think that it has the face of rallying:

2015050700018.jpg

2015050700023.jpg

2015050900019.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Today's daily event taught me how harrowing it is to drive wales at night in the rain with broken headlights. Navigating purely on the pace notes was intense as fuck. Good stuff.

bindleford

Neo Member
Rain really seems to take a toll on my PC's performance. It is a i5 4670k, GTX 760, 8GB ram and I have been running a mixture of high, medium and low settings (including weather) to guarantee a perfect 144hz with vsync. So far it had been silky smooth but I hadn't driven in rain until just now in the GAF League. Immediately there was a lot of slowdown and juddering as it was clear the vsync was not able to cope with the fluctuating framerate. Disabling it helped a lot but input still felt quite sluggish even though my framerate was always over 100. I will have to do some tweaking to see if anything can be done.

Regarding pad settings, I use 75% steering sensitivity and 25% linearity with the DualShock 4. I find the counter-steering too sluggish with the defaults.

Aerocrane

Man, the second stage in today's league event was really tough. You can't compensate for mistakes with more power as easily as the other more powerful classes of cars which I feel made this stage more difficult to drive in the 60s cars.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Today's daily event taught me how harrowing it is to drive wales at night in the rain with broken headlights. Navigating purely on the pace notes was intense as fuck. Good stuff.

You weren't kidding. Broke them within the last 25%. Holy crap.

I hope FFB is the main priority, it's pretty bad now. 270 degrees "sweet spot". Really?
I don't think so. I'm not sure why you'd want it lower than about 450. I'd say between 450 and 570 is the sweet spot with the current steering system (but that's with FFB disabled). The current FFB behaviour seems to suit shorter rotation, so that might be why they're recommending such a low value.

Gandie

Don't get disheartened - there is always a learning curve when you move to a wheel and it's completely normal to be much slower.

But I'd suggest that you're not really using the right games to learn how to use a wheel properly - ETS2 is a pretty unique thing, and the Codemasters games have been gamepad-focused throughout the last generation. The kind of wheel support in sims like Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, iRacing, PCARS, etc are much better in terms of calibration and default FFB settings.

As for securing the pedals - easiest way is to put some kind of block of wood in front of them that pushes against a wall/heavy object.

Thanks, currently downloading the rFactor demo build.

Schryver

omg this game. That feel when you are doing really well for the first time and then get instant terminal damage at the very end of the race. Love it

Sinatar

Just started Group B in career mode. The Peugeot 205 T16 and me were made for each other. After 15 hours of slumming by in 5th and 6th place finishes, my very first group b event in Wales I got 2nd overall.

16847879883_92aa4eba69_b.jpg

I'm King of the world!

Well ok 2nd... I'm Duke of the world!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, the second stage in today's league event was really tough. You can't compensate for mistakes with more power as easily as the other more powerful classes of cars which I feel made this stage more difficult to drive in the 60s cars.

Yeah, that track always causes me problems, every time I've run it so far.

Today for the GAF league stage 2, I had a moment where I got airborne, rolled my mini cooper, and recovered almost seamlessly. It was really surreal, my gf saw it happen and asked me if I did that on purpose, LOL!

I of course said yes.

GeoGonzo

Yeah, that track always causes me problems, every time I've run it so far.

Today for the GAF league stage 2, I had a moment where I got airborne, rolled my mini cooper, and recovered almost seamlessly. It was really surreal, my gf saw it happen and asked me if I did that on purpose, LOL!

I of course said yes.

I love that there's actually an achievement for doing that called something like "Nailed it!"

Didn't get a chance to finish the third event in the NeoGAF League as I was busy all yesterday but still managed to finish 12th overall after only completing the first event. Looking forward to when the next bunch goes up. What's the consensus on vehicles this time? 70s RWD? 80s RWD?

I did manage to get in the top 200 for todays daily though. I think Wales is my favourite for driving on, but Greece is my favourite overall (I just love all the dust).

DJ_Lae

I of course said yes.

Great feeling when that happens - the achievement name really does capture it.

UfVUwuh.gif

The weird animations of the driver just bracing himself and the co-driver doing...well, I'm not sure what they do, just make sure they don't drop the notes I guess.

DD

14th place on the league. Not bad. Got 2 points on the first day, 4 on the second, and none on the third day, when I tried the Lancia Fulvia. It didn't gave me any luck, but it's funnier to drive compared to the Mini. When we'll have the league back again? At what class? 60's again, or there will be an upgrade? I had a blast on the career mode with a Group B Audi, and I'm having even more with a Lancia Stratus from the 70's. That thing is fun as f*ck!

Sinatar

I of course said yes.

Time to go for the 720.

16850467673_fcd1ef862e_o.gif

flashmouth

Neo Member
My routine right now:

1. Start championship
2. total the car
3. close the game in frustration
4. boot it up again 5min later
5. repeat 1. to 4.

love this game!

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
When we'll have the league back again? At what class? 60's again, or there will be an upgrade?
I'm still having problems signing in on Codies website. Assuming they fix whatever is wrong with it on Monday I will set up the next round on Monday evening.

Probably going for two different classes this time and not 60s.

Makikou

I'm still having problems signing in on Codies website. Assuming they fix whatever is wrong with it on Monday I will set up the next round on Monday evening.

Don't bother w/ two diff classes yet imho.
They need to add a system that supports diff classes because right now only the overall top 10 get points and this can lead to the slower class getting none.

Should be class-divided rankings.

Is it possible to make all the events available at the beginning of the week? I don't want to race all week and then find I have plans on Saturday and can't compete in the last event.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Don't bother w/ two diff classes yet imho.
They need to add a system that supports diff classes because right now only the overall top 10 get points and this can lead to the slower class getting none.

Should be class-divided rankings.

Oh, it would one class for the first couple of races and another class for the other races, so it'd still be a level playing field.

Is it possible to make all the events available at the beginning of the week? I don't want to race all week and then find I have plans on Saturday and can't compete in the last event.

Yup, that's the plan.

DD

No problem. Thanks for taking your time to do that, BTW. o/

OK So .. this is twice this has happened to me ... and curiously each going from a Saturday night into Sunday morning.

First time I played until I had about 75K in the bank ready to buy a car in the morning. When the game was brought back up on Sunday morning .. I was left with 15K in the bank.

Started again and managed to get another 75K in the bank last week. I bought a 1970's car on Friday night. Powered up the game Sunday morning again ... and I was brought back to a time when all I had was one car and 30K in the bank ...

So if there are any codies on here .. Can I have my car and credits back please. Lawd knows I need the practice .. but a bit of progress would be nice too ..

Has this happened to anyone else?

Steam Version on Win8 btw .. I've also been trying to sync my Steam account to Codies / Racenet and no joy there either ...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
OK So .. this is twice this has happened to me ... and curiously each going from a Saturday night into Sunday morning.

First time I played until I had about 75K in the bank ready to buy a car in the morning. When the game was brought back up on Sunday morning .. I was left with 15K in the bank.

Started again and managed to get another 75K in the bank last week. I bought a 1970's car on Friday night. Powered up the game Sunday morning again ... and I was brought back to a time when all I had was one car and 30K in the bank ...

So if there are any codies on here .. Can I have my car and credits back please. Lawd knows I need the practice .. but a bit of progress would be nice too ..

Has this happened to anyone else?

No, I've not had anything like that happen at all. Now that the repair menu crash has been fixed I've not had a single bug or crash issue. I'm on Steam Win7 for comparison.

With 20 hours left in the first league event, I got 8th place? WTF how did that happen, i nearly wrecked.

Also why did I buy the Stratos, omg that thing is wayyyy to tail happy for my taste, I miss my Fulvia. 75k wasted...

Makikou

With 20 hours left in the first league event, I got 8th place? WTF how did that happen, i nearly wrecked.

Also why did I buy the Stratos, omg that thing is wayyyy to tail happy for my taste, I miss my Fulvia. 75k wasted...

All of the 70's RWD cars are tailhappy. Time to learn throttle control!

All of the 70's RWD cars are tailhappy. Time to learn throttle control!

But im using a 360-pad and it suuuucks...

Any recommendations for a great entry-level wheel with a clutch pedal, w/paddle shifters, and included/or optional H-pattern shifter?

I was thinking about this (Forza Motorsport CSR wheel value pack, does not include shifter):
iLcKSRI2l3hIz.png

I've also heard great things about the G25 and G27. "The fanatecs are really only worth it if you can go full clubsport or if you need Xbox 360 compatibility. Whether or not their other wheels are better than the g27 has been heavily debated for the past 4 years. The fact that the debate exists alone tells you the lower-end fanatecs are not worth the money, especially with the g27 going for <$200 all the time."

DD

Nah, man, you don't need a wheel for that. You need to get used to the car. The first time I drove the Stratos, I though it was awful, but now it's probably my favorite car in that game. :)

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I don't think so. I'm not sure why you'd want it lower than about 450. I'd say between 450 and 570 is the sweet spot with the current steering system (but that's with FFB disabled). The current FFB behaviour seems to suit shorter rotation, so that might be why they're recommending such a low value.

Where do you go to set these numbers?

Where do you go to set these numbers?
It'll be part of the software you installed with your wheel. For example, the T500 has a control panel, (found under 'game controllers' in Windows) that looks like this:

t5003tabi.png

This is how mine is set when running most PC sims - the rotation value is maxed, and then the sim itself applies the appropriate lock for each car. But Codemasters games don't 'see' this full rotation in the correct way, and expect it to be much smaller. They are optimised for older wheels that would often only have 270 degrees of steering. Therefore running DiRT Rally with 1080 rotation results in very slow, unresponsive steering. You can make it seem more responsive by messing with the linearity/saturation sliders, but it's pretty unclear as to what they're actually doing, so I think it is better to leave them at default and force a reduced rotation before you launch the game. Somewhere around 500 should be fine.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It'll be part of the software you installed with your wheel. For example, the T500 has a control panel, (found under 'game controllers' in Windows) that looks like this:

t5003tabi.png

This is how mine is set when running most PC sims - the rotation value is maxed, and then the sim itself applies the appropriate lock for each car. But Codemasters games don't 'see' this full rotation in the correct way, and expect it to be much smaller. They are optimised for older wheels that would often only have 270 degrees of steering. Therefore running DiRT Rally with 1080 rotation results in very slow, unresponsive steering. You can make it seem more responsive by messing with the linearity/saturation sliders, but it's pretty unclear as to what they're actually doing, so I think it is better to leave them at default and force a reduced rotation before you launch the game. Somewhere around 500 should be fine.
Thanks. I'm guessing this is axis 'range' in the Logitech settings. Also it isn't entirely clear if I have to leave the program running when playing the game.

It's called 'degrees of rotation' in my Logitech DFP settings...

config3q2u42.png

If you're referring to the Logitech Profiler, I'm sure that needs to stay running - it should warn you that your controllers won't work if you try to close it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
KLxJZOR.png

This is mine. It doesn't give me a warning when I close it. I tried it at 50% axis, and it seems to make a big difference. I just want to make sure I'm setting it up right.

Top Bottom