• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

ok todays group b run was exactly what i want to play in this game. nice job. love that s4, and actually having control over my car and the ability to slow down and speed up quickly lol. fun to run through the snow and not be in a flying deathtrap.

helps a lot that if you make a mistake with older cars, you're screwed, but with B's you can run back on course often and mistakes mean less with your accelleration

DD

ok todays group b run was exactly what i want to play in this game. nice job. love that s4, and actually having control over my car and the ability to slow down and speed up quickly lol. fun to run through the snow and not be in a flying deathtrap.

helps a lot that if you make a mistake with older cars, you're screwed, but with B's you can run back on course often and mistakes mean less with your accelleration

It really sux going from Group B to Group A, but I do recommend you to go back to the 70's and try the Lancia Stratus. No Group B car gave me the chills I had with the Stratos. There's nothing like going sideways at full throttle, the car pointing to the left, the wheels to the right, and the tip of the front of the car licking the wall inside the turn. *¬*

It is tail happy as f*ck, but once you learn to control it, maaaaan...

Has anyone been able to sign into the Codemasters account bullshit by authenticating via Steam? I haven't been able to log in for two days now and it's getting to be a pain.

DD

Has anyone been able to sign into the Codemasters account bullshit by authenticating via Steam? I haven't been able to log in for two days now and it's getting to be a pain.

I did, and it wasn't working for me at first too. After some time I tried again and it worked. D:

It really sux going from Group B to Group A, but I do recommend you to go back to the 70's and try the Lancia Stratus. No Group B car gave me the chills I had with the Stratos. There's nothing like going sideways at full throttle, the car pointing to the left, the wheels to the right, and the tip of the front of the car licking the wall inside the turn. *¬*

It is tail happy as f*ck, but once you learn to control it, maaaaan...

the stratos is just stressful lol, it's cool to master but anything i can do in it i can do faster, with more control, and wider margin for error with the s4 (if you go offtrack with the strat no way you have the grip to get back on track without a penalty), group b makes this game feel like sega rally, it's hard to deal with stuff like the stratos's overpowering torque when going uphill in precipitation, and rain/snow is what rally is all about, especially with the long stages that come up often, those are painful with slow engines and the inability to drive yourself back on track :X

i can get down with the delta from the daily tho solid control

astonish

Ran into 3 crew/spectators tonight by accident during the weekly challenge. Boy a +15s penalty doesn't capture how bad I felt.

Also this game on 4xAA+ultra feels stuttery on my GTX680. Guess its time to get that 970 batman/witcher bundle :D

Ran into 3 crew/spectators tonight by accident during the weekly challenge. Boy a +15s penalty doesn't capture how bad I felt.

Also this game on 4xAA+ultra feels stuttery on my GTX680. Guess its time to get that 970 batman/witcher bundle :D

4xMSAA+Ultra is a stable 1080p60 on my 4690k+980.

Trying to increase that to 8xMSAA causes an unsteady 45-60 framerate.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying to link my Steam account since friday, I think, no dice.

Today's challenge was a Group A Delta HF, not the S4.

My favorite cars to drive so far are the RWDs. A lot of fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

So it isn't just me, then.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Managed to sign in just now.

Here is the top 10 after the end of the first season.
gaf2uuk5.png

I'll set up the next season when I get back from work in a couple of hours.

KLxJZOR.png

This is mine. It doesn't give me a warning when I close it. I tried it at 50% axis, and it seems to make a big difference. I just want to make sure I'm setting it up right.
Hmm I don't think that's the right page, although it could well do the same thing. There should be a 'global device settings' page under the options... should look a lot more like the image I posted, with an actual 'rotation' slider, as well as a bunch of force feedback settings. I think the page you were on is for fine tuning all the different axes, adding deadzones to your pedals if the pots are dying, that kind of thing. The 'range' option you adjusted probably does affect the rotation reading in a similar way, but it might not give you virtual 'lock stops' (i.e. after you've set the lower rotation you should feel resistance in the motor when you reach the steering limits).

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
The next round of the GAF league should start in about 20 minutes. At least I hope it does. The website doesn't give a good indication of whether my edits were actually saved…

If all went well there will be a mix of 80, Group A, and Group B stages. You'll be able to complete all events in one sitting if that's what you want to do. This season ends on Saturday at 1900 CET.

No restarts!

PS: There are now over 100 people in the league! :)

Edit: Well, that didn't work. I'll try again later.

Edit2: Tried it another three times. Clicking on the completion button does nothing at all but reload the page. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thrakier

GAF, I like playing the game with external cam more and I'm faster with it as well. This is basically the story of my racing game life. I played CMR1 on PS1 with external cam as well.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Hmm I don't think that's the right page, although it could well do the same thing. There should be a 'global device settings' page under the options... should look a lot more like the image I posted, with an actual 'rotation' slider, as well as a bunch of force feedback settings. I think the page you were on is for fine tuning all the different axes, adding deadzones to your pedals if the pots are dying, that kind of thing. The 'range' option you adjusted probably does affect the rotation reading in a similar way, but it might not give you virtual 'lock stops' (i.e. after you've set the lower rotation you should feel resistance in the motor when you reach the steering limits).
I found what you were originally talking about, thanks. I'm realizing that the G27 might not be for me and I'm considering stepping up to the T500RS. I just hope the thing lasts over time, because reading some of the feedback on Amazon isn't great. That and it's around $550.

DD

GAF, I like playing the game with external cam more and I'm faster with it as well. This is basically the story of my racing game life. I played CMR1 on PS1 with external cam as well.

I usually prefer the dash cam, but the external cam in this game isn't bad at all. I'm usually awful at it, but in Dirt Rally I could play with ease, even considering the fact that it's a simulator. Weird...

Thrakier

I usually prefer the dash cam, but the external cam in this game isn't bad at all. I'm usually awful at it, but in Dirt Rally I could play with ease, even considering the fact that it's a simulator. Weird...

Sure, but I feel bad about it. As if I'm playing the game the wrong way. And I try to get into cockpit but well...I'm slower with it. It's weird.

flashmouth

Neo Member
I tried cockpit cam, but couldn't get into it, although I'd always used it in Forza and such. Switched to dashcam to get the credits bonus and sticking with that now.

Although I would really like to play it with a proper wheel, I'm still amazed how well it plays with a controller. Good ol' 360 wired, still the best.

Robaperas

I just tried the daily challenge, 00.21.499 off the pace. I suck at grippy surfaces.

Edit: I can't stop playing... I won my first rally by 4 points, after puncturing and blowing my 2 right side tires in the first section of a Wales stage. Stupid gates...

Ah man, how much I hate the barrier tape inside of hair pins... It's so aweful to get an instant 15sec penalty cause you took it too early. Just change it to some other barrier pls :/

Ah man, how much I hate the barrier tape inside of hair pins... It's so aweful to get an instant 15sec penalty cause you took it too early. Just change it to some other barrier pls :/

I don't think it's the tape that sets off the penalty, but the spectators. I've cut the tape on hairpins before and not had a penalty, but as soon as you dig in close enough to a spectator it'll reset you.

Made the plunge and bought the game. I'm expecting to be terrible. Joined the Gaf League. I play on the 360 control any recommended setting , cars, bits of advice? I'm new to sim racing and haven't played a rally game since sega rally on dreamcast which I know is completely arcade.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
NeoGAF league update: I'm still unable to create a new season. Even putting the start time a day in the future doesn't fix it.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Is there a difficulty setting for championships or anything? Can't catch the first place no matter what, but I'm also still far from having a perfect line. At least now I can make it 3rd in the 60s championship and get some credits.

Robaperas

Made the plunge and bought the game. I'm expecting to be terrible. Joined the Gaf League. I play on the 360 control any recommended setting , cars, bits of advice? I'm new to sim racing and haven't played a rally game since sega rally on dreamcast which I know is completely arcade.

Excellent decision!. As for the settings, try to get the sensitivity and linearity right for your driving style, I play with a Dualshock 3 with no assists with X to throttle and Square to brake, and 20 sensitivity and 45 - 55 linearity feels spot on. Drive on some stages and test different settings until you feel confident and you don't spin out after trying to take a hairpin. As for the game itself, start slow and try to get used to the pace notes, the surfaces and how to approach bends.

I hope this helps a bit.

I have 2x SLI 260GTX on my PC, they are only Direct3D 10.1 capable, but when I bought the game on day1, the page didn't say that this is a DirectX11-cards only game.
The cards listed in the minimum requirements we're considerably less powerful than my old SLI-setup, so I thought I was fine. The game never started for me and now the steam page and forums say it's DX11 only.

Can Codemasters just say "your graphics card is older than the ones in the minimum requirements, so it's your fault when you can't run the game"?

^ Yeah it's stupid that you can't play this game with a 260 while you can with any Intel HD 4000.
Your setup should be getting around 100fps (with most settings on Ultra).

Can't be that difficult to add support for DX10-cards by just disabling DX11-features.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Hm, still can't seem to set up a new season. Anyone else wanna give it a try? I can promote someone to be a "manager".

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a T500RS in a sec. Anyone suggest otherwise?

I have one and advice against it. I have a Thrustmaster TX as well and use that with a Ferrari 458 Challenge wheel add-on and the pedals from the T500RS.

T500RS is stronger than necessary and you feel a juddering in force when turning against a force smoothly (like 1st Degree turn easy, 2nd degree turn harder... it's really hard to describe). In the TX Thrustmaster seemed to have learned from this and made it "soft-rubbery" over this... it feels smoother, more sophisticated and more elegant. if the game does it right, it feels fantastic, never had this feeling with the T500RS. Another thing is that on PS4, you can't use the buttons for menus. There are downsides to the TX like a cheap wheel-feel and cheap pedals, it's motor is also too weak and the cooling fan is way to loud. Weight-wise it feels like a toy compared to the T500RS.

If I had to buy something now, it would definitely be a T300RS, it's supposed to be the perfect sweetspot between the TX and the T500RS. The wheel is supposed to feel not as cheap as that of the TX and even IF, you could buy wheel of the same size that is better (like my Challenge-wheel or the GTE or the newest leather one) as an addon (they work on a T500RS too, but you always need to adjust everything, because the same torque for the original T500RS wheel on a smaller diameter wheel feels to strong). Edit: Maybe check some Digiprost videos on youtube. That guy is an insanely good driver and he uses a T300RS with the standard wheel (but different pedals).

Yes, I would buy a T300RS and T3PA-pedals. Support for that on DiRT will come really soon, they are already asking in the steam forums what wheel should be added next.
[if you want, I would sell you my T500RS without pedals for a low price, shipping from germany]

I remember a Rally game that I had called 'Network Q RAC Rally Championship', made by Magnectic Fields. It was my first rally game, and still is my favorite racing game ever. It had 28 unique stages with varied types of vistas around UK, and it was amazing how "organic" it was. It had small stages of two and a half minutes, some of five or seven minutes, and even a nemesis called 'Pundershaw', that used to consume around 25 minutes to complete. It was really terrifying, and it was amazing how that game used to give me the feeling of going from a place to another in a way that seemed realistic. The game had snow, rain, fog, day and night races, internal camera and even mechanical damage, all that in 1996!

Anyone had this game?

Network_Q_RAC_Rally_Championship.jpg

So, in order to remember the feelings I had with that game, I booter Dirt Rally, put this song on the background ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7DkD1h40RU [my favorite from that 1996 game]), chose a 90's rally car (the blue Subaru Impreza), and ran a Wales stage. And DAMN it felt good...

shwK9R8.gif

ral_001.png

Rallyc_001.png

'

Oh, I remember this game. One of the first PC games I bought. But the game that really ignited my passion for rally was Sega Rally on Saturn. I remember comparing times with my friend at the local game shop. So much fun trying to top each other. I remember doing an almost perfect run with the Stratos and shaving like 2 or 3 seconds of my time. My friend wasn't happy.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I have one and advice against it. I have a Thrustmaster TX as well and use that with a Ferrari 458 Challenge wheel add-on and the pedals from the T500RS.

T500RS is stronger than necessary and you feel a juddering in force when turning against a force smoothly (like 1st Degree turn easy, 2nd degree turn harder... it's really hard to describe). In the TX Thrustmaster seemed to have learned from this and made it "soft-rubbery" over this... it feels smoother, more sophisticated and more elegant. if the game does it right, it feels fantastic, never had this feeling with the T500RS. Another thing is that on PS4, you can't use the buttons for menus. There are downsides to the TX like a cheap wheel-feel and cheap pedals, it's motor is also too weak and the cooling fan is way to loud. Weight-wise it feels like a toy compared to the T500RS.

If I had to buy something now, it would definitely be a T300RS, it's supposed to be the perfect sweetspot between the TX and the T500RS. The wheel is supposed to feel not as cheap as that of the TX and even IF, you could buy wheel of the same size that is better (like my Challenge-wheel or the GTE or the newest leather one) as an addon (they work on a T500RS too, but you always need to adjust everything, because the same torque for the original T500RS wheel on a smaller diameter wheel feels to strong). Edit: Maybe check some Digiprost videos on youtube. That guy is an insanely good driver and he uses a T300RS with the standard wheel (but different pedals).

Yes, I would buy a T300RS and T3PA-pedals.
[if you want, I would sell you my T500RS without pedals for a low price, shipping from germany]
Thanks for the info. I have a bunch of Amazon credit so I'll be using that. Why is the 500 so much more expensive than the 300? Maybe I should just get the 300.

Hm, still can't seem to set up a new season. Anyone else wanna give it a try? I can promote someone to be a "manager".

I'd be up for it.

^ Yeah it's stupid that you can't play this game with a 260 while you can with any Intel HD 4000.
Your setup should be getting around 100fps (with most settings on Ultra).

Can't be that difficult to add support for DX10-cards by just disabling DX11-features.

It can't be that simple.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I'd be up for it.
Excellent! Made you a manager.

Here is what I had in mind for this weeks season.

Two 80s events with two stages each
Two Group A events with two stages each
Two Group B events with two stages each

No restarts. Service area at the start of the second stage in each case. Long stages for Group B cars. I could end on Sunday evening with all events open from the start or within a few minutes of each other if that is not possible for some reason.

Feel free to come up with your own setup though.

No restarts. Service area at the start of the second stage in each case. Long stages for Group B cars. I could end on Sunday evening with all events open from the start or within a few minutes of each other if that is not possible for some reason.

Creating it now, I'll update with whether it worked.

Thanks for the info. I have a bunch of Amazon credit so I'll be using that. Why is the 500 so much more expensive than the 300? Maybe I should just get the 300.

The pedals are way better on T500RS and just lifting a T500RS up against a TX makes the TX feel like a toy (#alldatcopper). The motor of the T500RS has way more torque and still needs less cooling.

But with a smaller (and better to drive) wheel diameter, the TX and the T300RS (which's cooling is supposed to be just fine compared to the miserable TX) don't need that much torque and even for the larger diameter wheel the T500RS is just unnecessarily overpowered.

Really, go for a T300RS and burn your extra money on another set of Pedals (on PC, go for Fanatec, if you need it on a PS4 as well, check the T3PA ones, they don't need extra USB and connect directly to any Thrustmaster wheel if needed).

It doesn't work on my end either. Had everything set up and the same problem occurs.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Argh! I think I figured it out. You apparently can't have overlapping events (yet?!). Unfortunately that means we can't make all events available from day one.

New league is up now. It's super short unfortunately, since I couldn't be bothered to test this theory with more event.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The pedals are way better on T500RS and just lifting a T500RS up against a TX makes the TX feel like a toy (#alldatcopper). The motor of the T500RS has way more torque and still needs less cooling.

But with a smaller (and better to drive) wheel diameter, the TX and the T300RS (which's cooling is supposed to be just fine compared to the miserable TX) don't need that much torque and even for the larger diameter wheel the T500RS is just unnecessarily overpowered.

Really, go for a T300RS and burn your extra money on another set of Pedals (on PC, go for Fanatec, if you need it on a PS4 as well, check the T3PA ones, they don't need extra USB and connect directly to any Thrustmaster wheel if needed).
Apparently the T300RS is out of stock everywhere. I figured it'd be available since it came out after the T500RS.

Top Bottom