• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
League is apparently 100 right now. I dunno if the 20 is just leaderboards for the day. We'll see if it explodes if you can't make it invite only. :/

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
League is apparently 100 right now. I dunno if the 20 is just leaderboards for the day. We'll see if it explodes if you can't make it invite only. :/

just the leaderboard. 100 have joined (presumably from here) before today

Ark

just the leaderboard. 100 have joined (presumably from here) before today

Yeah, we've had over 100 GAF'ers in the league for a while now.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have the time to complete some stages. I'm hoping to give some time to this and Project Cars, maybe take just a couple of days off from my new-found KSP addiction.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like how it only shows the accumulated time after every track in leagues. I wanted to compare my time on the 2nd track from today's challenge with you guys, but that's not possible.

Schryver

I don't like how it only shows the accumulated time after every track in leagues. I wanted to compare my time on the 2nd track from today's challenge with you guys, but that's not possible.

Yeah I wanted to do the same. It seems more like a bug to me but if not please give us that option Codemasters!

Kelas

Yeah it should at least show both.

Also I hope they get some archiving of results/times going.

I really wanted to try the Gaf league, but i still can't link my codemasters account to Steam.

How do i erase Dirt Rally from my profile, meaning that i would have to create a new account to link to the game... i can't find any option to change accounts and stuff... everytime i log in to the game i'm already connected to a codemasters account that i can't use it online.

It's a mess i have no idea how to solve.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanted to try the Gaf league, but i still can't link my codemasters account to Steam.

How do i erase Dirt Rally from my profile, meaning that i would have to create a new account to link to the game... i can't find any option to change accounts and stuff... everytime i log in to the game i'm already connected to a codemasters account that i can't use it online.

It's a mess i have no idea how to solve.
So you linked a Racenet account to your Steam profile that you don't want? You should just be able to log into https://racenet.codemasters.com und delink it then. Or did you lose access to it or something? That would be a case for Codemasters support, I guess.

So you linked a Racenet account to your Steam profile that you don't want? You should just be able to log into https://racenet.codemasters.com und delink it then. Or did you lose access to it or something? That would be a case for Codemasters support, I guess.

The confusion is because i have two racenet profiles. I remembered that i made one when i played Grid Autosport... i think i sorted out now.

Thanks!

For those of you discussing the pacenotes earlier, he's a good breakdown someone posted on Reddit this morning...

tumblr_noaabzYfbe1qc64ngo1_500h.jpg

Source

Jibbed

My simpler method:

High speed:
6 - flat out, let's fucking go.
5 - flat if I can see where I'm going, lift if I can't.
4 - proper lift, maybe a tap on the brake.
3 - short full press on the brake.
2 - medium braking for a bit.
1 - HARD braking.
Acute/hairpin - handbrake yo.

Low speed:
5 - flat out, let's fucking go.
4 - flat out, let's fucking go.
3 - flat if I can see where I'm going, lift if I can't.
1 - HARD braking.

Nothing else really matters, other than the dreaded 'don't cut'. RIP every time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, like I said: I hope they redo the pace note icons. Some of them are hard to see/understand at a glance. The "neon" look is just nonononono. Make them signs a la Rallysport Challenge or something.

I have a surprising amount of trouble hearing "left" as "right" and vice-versa for some reason. I don't know if it's the accent screwing with me or what, but I would be fine without icons at all except for thinking the turn's going one way when actually it's the opposite way.

(also, chalk me up as someone who used to think 1-6 referred to the ideal gear ratio, and felt really dumb taking 6 turns in second gear)

gus_888

Banned
My simpler method:

High speed:
1 - HARD braking.

Low speed:
1 - HARD braking.

Nothing else really matters, other than the dreaded 'don't cut'. RIP every time.

I haven't played the new one, but with Colin McRae Rally, I've always thought of the numbers as the gear you should be in while taking the tightest part of the corner.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My simpler method:

High speed:
1 - HARD braking.

Low speed:
1 - HARD braking.

I always assumed the number system was supposed to match a 6 gear car. So you can take a 6 in gear 6, a 1 slow the fuck down to gear 1.

EDIT:
I haven't played the new one, but with Colin McRae Rally, I've always thought of the numbers as the gear you should be in while taking the tightest part of the corner.

Beaten.

Makikou

I am begging those who host the GAF league:

Make service area available BEFORE the first stage. Because **** default setups

DJ_Lae

I confess I have yet to touch the car tuning stuff - I rarely do in any racing game, actually. I figure I'll be as likely to fuck something up as help me out.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I am begging those who host the GAF league:

Make service area available BEFORE the first stage. Because **** default setups

Oh, right. I thought you could do that anyway. Never even looked at the setups, which probably explain why I'm not very good at this. Apart from just generally not being very good. :)

Was having the race of my life when...flat rear right tire. Kept going picked up speed and tire is gone. Kept soldiering on and flat front left tire. This game is amazing.

murgo

Am I the only one who thinks RWD cars are considerably easier to drive than 4WD cars? I just tried the first league event with the Delta Integrale and I sucked big time. My car slid around the track like a freaking piece of soap. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I can get around with the Fiat 131 or 80's BMW a lot easier.

Robaperas

Am I the only one who thinks RWD cars are considerably easier to drive than 4WD cars? I just tried the first league event with the Delta Integrale and I sucked big time. My car slid around the track like a freaking piece of soap. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I can get around with the Fiat 131 or 80's BMW a lot easier.

On one hand, the RWD cars are easier to maneuver around 4 and up bends, but harder to come out out of tighter ones, I end up sliding, over correcting and bumping into the sides or doing a 180. The 4WD cars on the other hand, just slide through tighter bends and can be corrected with ease. This is for my style of driving, not some truth set in stone, obviously :p

DD

The Group A cars are considerably worse than the Goup B cars. Also, the modern cars like the Ford Fiesta and the Mini Cooper are ridiculously easy to drive.

But that Subaru is starting to grow on me. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

Kelas

The major benefit of an awd is obviously traction. It takes a lot less effort to get through a hairpin for example. Just slow enough, handbrake slide til you're almost pointing the right way, and full throttle out of it with no risk of spinning back to face the way you came.

Peru

That feeling when you're in a solid lead on your way to your first champion ship win ever and you mess up a relatively straight stretch 20 secs off the finish and crash.

Still only doing 60s ch'ships lol. Promised myself to stick with it until I got good at it, and now I'm consistently close to the top. Progression feels wonderful, really get a sense of learning the rally way. Think I'm ready to advance now.

Using a G25 here, occasionally when playing the car will pop out of gear. The h shifter obviously hasn't moved, but the game puts the car in neutral when I just cruising along in 3rd or something. Also there's times I can't always get the car into a gear, but I suspect that's me not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor.

Anyone else experience these issues or is my G25 messed up?

Kelas

Is the third event not restricted to a class type? Doesn't seem to be, according to the league page, but maybe it's just a glitch?

I love the 4WDs, I feel so much more in control.

Kelas

Added now :p

gj

There's a couple of nice surprises on that stage (and the shorter stages over the same ground). This one, where your co-driver hilariously didn't call the slightly hidden 2 right, and this one (right 4 continues over jump) caught me out a number of times on my first attempts. I swear the latter one I made the mistake of overshooting into the trees like 5 times in a row during a championship.

Makikou

gj

There's a couple of nice surprises on that stage (and the shorter stages over the same ground). This one, where your co-driver hilariously didn't call the slightly hidden 2 right, and this one (right 4 continues over jump) caught me out a number of times on my first attempts. I swear the latter one I made the mistake of overshooting into the trees like 5 times in a row during a championship.

Didn't even realize he did not call the hidden 2 right. I just knew it's going to come there so i knew how to react.

Arucardo

Finally I had time to take part in the league :D . First time driving the car so pace was kinda off, can't wait to do more stages against all of you. Also, a finn in first place, as it should be ;) , gj Makikou.

murgo

I love the 4WDs, I feel so much more in control.

The Group A cars are considerably worse than the Goup B cars. Also, the modern cars like the Ford Fiesta and the Mini Cooper are ridiculously easy to drive.

But that Subaru is starting to grow on me. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

Guess it's all down to practice and getting used to the car.
So far I've played every championship in my good old Fiat because I didn't have enough credits to buy anything else :D

OrangeOak

I am so glad that I bought this game. Wasn't sure if I want it because despite loving racing games I am not really that into rally (I like watching it but I don't know nothing about it) but after watching (and HEARING) some youtube videos I couldn't resist.
At first I was frustrated because it was almost impossible for me to stay on track and finish whole stage. Now, after some time with a game, I am getting better and better with every race (I am still terrible though). I adjusted some control options, learned to control throttle and learned some tracks and now it is just pure fun even when I fail.
Driving in this game is just awesome and it keeps you on the edge for a whole stage.
What is also awesome is sound design. For me it is new standard in racing games at least when it comes to cockpit view sound. It is just incredible. All this details and great use of effects.
Amazing game and it is only early access!

One complaint though is that audio is really quiet, especially in cockpit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, we've had over 100 GAF'ers in the league for a while now.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have the time to complete some stages. I'm hoping to give some time to this and Project Cars, maybe take just a couple of days off from my new-found KSP addiction.

Yeah, KSP has been eating up all of my free time lately too. Tonight I plan on racing a bit in Dirt Rally and then planning my first post 1.0 trip to Minmus!

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
If we had two events next season each with 5 stages running for 3 days, would you all want services areas before every stage?

My thinking for splitting it up into two longer events rather than six smaller is that it will make it easier for people who don't have much time to complete all events. It's possible to save and quit after a stage, which would suit those who have time every day, but can't play for more than a say half an hour a day.

It would be ideal of course all events could be played from day one, but that didn't work when we tried it earlier.

Kelas

That sounds fine to me.

I think you should allow servicing between each stage because a lot of players in the league may still be getting to grips with the game, and, with no restarts, being unable to repair after an accident would seem like unnecessary punishment on top of the time penalties.

One complaint though is that audio is really quiet, especially in cockpit.

Do you mean the co-driver? I'm wondering if this is a widespread issue. The audio sliders make 0 difference for me, even changing the values in the config file to below the normal limit (or even 0) does nothing.

Top Bottom