• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

DD

I hope you can score, make South America proud!

Doing my best, my Chilean friend! \o\

But I'm still zeroed on the standings, so better not count on me xD

Ate least we have some good drivers from New Zealand and Australia to represent well the southern hemisphere, yay.

Makikou

Welp, spun out on the first Monte stage right near the 2nd last hairpin :(. Lost about 20 seconds trying to turn it around and finished +14s behind the leader.

At this point i knew i was in trouble since gaining anywhere near 15s in the last stage was super hard when i saw the weather conditions. Managed to best the current best time with 1 second which sadly is not enough for P1.

Video coming up shortly, i think you guys will enjoy it.

DD

To the organizers of the league and/or Codies: is it possible to make a league with surprise stages, where you don't know where you'll run before you got into it? For example: today we're gonna run in Monte Carlo, but that's that. You don't know at what stages until you got there.

I believe that this would make things more even, because I have to confess: yesterday I did two runs in that track of the first stage of the league, just to decide if I would do it with a group B or a modern car, since there wasn't a class restriction. So, I kind of feel like cheating, even though it wasn't enough to memorize the track. I usually don't do that, I face what comes ahead without any kind of training, learning the car and the tracks on the fly, and deal with the consequences of my mistakes, but it's nice to compete, and everyone wants to win, even though it's not a serious thing. But since there wasn't a class restriction, I didn't knew what was faster - the powerful lightweights of the group B or the super glued to the ground modern day cars - I felt that I had to discover it by myself doing two runs, one with the Peugeot 205, and another one with the Mini Cooper.

Arucardo

I'm gonna make it interesting, aka. I'll take the Group B Quattro and go with the H-pattern instead of the sequential, heel-toe action, here I come :D .

I'm probably flying off a cliff early

OrangeOak

I would LOVE to have more friends with this game on list to compare times.
My Steam name is SteelOak so please would you kindly add me people :)
Or maybe there is somewhere list of players from GAF?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
To the organizers of the league and/or Codies: is it possible to make a league with surprise stages, where you don't know where you'll run before you got into it? For example: today we're gonna run in Monte Carlo, but that's that. You don't know at what stages until you got there.

Practicing is not even in the same ballpark as cheating. I sort of see what you're saying, and I think it would be an interesting idea for a separate league, but teams familiarising themselves with stages (and creating their pacenotes) prior to an event is part of rallying. Knowledge of stages/circuits and the strengths and limitations of your car is part of racing in general. If anything, the solution to even things up is for people to do more practice (if they want), not less.

NuKERxyz

I'm gonna make it interesting, aka. I'll take the Group B Quattro and go with the H-pattern instead of the sequential, heel-toe action, here I come :D .

I'm probably flying off a cliff early

My clutch pedal doesn't work in game (g27), so..how will u do it?

Btw, they need to make something for the guys that keep F4'ing until they make a good time on the league stages.. Maybe make a token system that u lost a token when u start a stage, 3 tokens per league..it would work.

DD

Practicing is not even in the same ballpark as cheating. I sort of see what you're saying, and I think it would be an interesting idea for a separate league, but teams familiarising themselves with stages (and creating their pacenotes) prior to an event is part of rallying. Knowledge of stages/circuits and the strengths and limitations of your car is part of racing in general. If anything, the solution to even things up is for people to do more practice (if they want), not less.

Yeah, I know, and I agree with you. But the idea is to make things level for the guy who has only 10 minutes to play, and the guy who has 5 hours. I do have some time to practice, but I usually don't do that. As I've said, I learn the car and the track on the run, and deal with the consequences of that. But yesterday I decided to try two cars to find which was better for me, because there was no class restriction. :p

Another idea I was thinking about is the game saving a state as you've DNF'd before each run, to avoid people rage quiting when they make a mistake, to try again, but I think that the game is still too unstable for some people, so it might piss one guy or another after a crash (the game, not the car). Juiced had that, and it was cruel, haha! Once I entered a pink slip race with my favorite car, when my mother called me to go to the supermarket. I turned off my Xbox, and when I came back, I discovered that I had lost the car for a anti rage quit system, haha.

Arucardo

My clutch pedal doesn't work in game (g27), so..how will u do it?

Btw, they need to make something for the guys that keep F4'ing until they make a good time on the league stages.. Maybe make a token system that u lost a token when u start a stage, 3 tokens per league..it would work.

Have you chosen the H-pattern + clutch in preferences? I'm using a Thrustmaster TX with the basherboards adapter to attach my CSR Elites straight to the TX and a TH8 RS shifter, works great (had to edit the TX preset to make it recognize the TH8 RS gear gates tho).

Just finished the first stage and holy shit, some serious shifting going on with the Quattro lol. Also, I hope it's not a bug and instead a feature where sometimes if you hit something your gearbox may jump to neutral. It's either that or I'm just fucking up my clutch work.

On to the 2nd stage...

Kelas

Yeah, I know, and I agree with you. But the idea is to make things level for the guy who has only 10 minutes to play, and the guy who has 5 hours. I do have some time to practice, but I usually don't do that. As I've said, I learn the car and the track on the run, and deal with the consequences of that. But yesterday I decided to try two cars to find which was better for me, because there was no class restriction. :p

Another idea I was thinking about is the game saving a state as you've DNF'd before each run, to avoid people rage quiting when they make a mistake, to try again, but I think that the game is still too unstable for some people, so it might piss one guy or another after a crash (the game, not the car). Juiced had that, and it was cruel, haha! Once I entered a pink slip race with my favorite car, when my mother called me to go to the supermarket. I turned off my Xbox, and when I came back, I discovered that I had lost the car for a anti rage quit system, haha.

Yeah I get that there's gonna be a discrepancy between people who have more time to play and those that don't, especially with the events ticking over every day. But again it would probably only serve to hurt those players with less time, because the people with more time would still be getting more practice in just by virtue of playing the game more and having more experience with all the stages.

I think a limited number of restarts, say 2, would help solve the first problem and the dnf/rage quitting/crash problem you mention as well. The trade-off, of course, is that it would give people who are already more experienced with the game an extra opportunity to shave more seconds off, but it would also be helpful for those with less experience. You'd have less reason to ragequit or game the system by alt-f4ing if you could use a restart instead, and a crash or alt-f4 could just count against your number of "attempts" as punishment, but not hit you with an automatic dnf, which yeah, would suck for a legit crash.

On a side note, I had a slightly similar mishap with this game. I had started the third event in one of the championships (can't remember which level), then decided to quit out for some reason and without thinking chose and confirmed retire instead of save and quit
DCRsLsl.png

NuKERxyz

Have you chosen the H-pattern + clutch in preferences? I'm using a Thrustmaster TX with the basherboards adapter to attach my CSR Elites straight to the TX and a TH8 RS shifter, works great (had to edit the TX preset to make it recognize the TH8 RS gear gates tho).

Just finished the first stage and holy shit, some serious shifting going on with the Quattro lol. Also, I hope it's not a bug and instead a feature where sometimes if you hit something your gearbox may jump to neutral. It's either that or I'm just fucking up my clutch work.

On to the 2nd stage...

Got to try that, i dont remember seeing that option.

Item Box

Finally got a proper wheel to play this game with, and learning it while doing today's event probably wasn't a good idea. At least I managed to land 16th place.

fuck Vallée descendante

Thrakier

I'd actually like to see a time table which works like in the first CMR where you always saw the time to your next competitor instead in relation the overall best time.

Today's daily challenge kicked my ass. It was my first time driving the Fulvia and as it turns out I can't drive it to save my life.

Still got in the top tier but was almost two minutes off the pace.

DJ_Lae

Today's daily challenge kicked my ass. It was my first time driving the Fulvia and as it turns out I can't drive it to save my life.

It has no grip at all and bounces all over the place in a way that even the Mini doesn't. Freaked me out as I've never raced with it before.

Didn't like it. Doesn't help that it's slow as hell too.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Code:
Rank	Name	Points
1	PhilResch	58
2	T-Mu	        43
3	Makikou	        40
4	bindleford	33
5	Afro	        26
6	Beast	        13
7	andi.sisernik	12
8	Zeal	        12
9	DJ_Lae	        10
10	LucidKiwi       10

The MINI championship starts in a few minutes!

Changed the format again. 2 events with 6 stages. Services areas at the beginning of each event. Each event runs for 3 days. Let me know how you like this setup.

Good luck!

Group is at 21 members now.

If any of the league organizers is in there and wants to be an admin to make announcements let me know.

Joined it.

Code:
Rank	Name	Points
1	PhilResch	58
2	T-Mu	        43
3	Makikou	        40
4	bindleford	33
5	Afro	        26
6	Beast	        13
7	andi.sisernik	12
8	Zeal	        12
9	DJ_Lae	        10
10	LucidKiwi       10

Changed the format again. 2 events with 6 stages. Services areas at the beginning of each event. Each event runs for 3 days. Let me know how you like this setup.

Good luck!

Excellent! Hopefully I can crack the top ten.

bindleford

Neo Member
As much as I'm enjoying the gravel physics, the tarmac is grating on me. It feels like a throwback to the dark days of sim racing where the tyre grip lacks much progressive control. Glued to the road while under the limit, then prone to snap oversteer the moment grip is lost. I suppose it's a bit much to expect Assetto Corsa straight out of the gate, but I can't bring myself to drive much at Monte Carlo for the time being.

Thankfully, the RWDs on gravel more than make up for those shortcomings. I would put some of them up there with my favourite sim cars. Not something I ever thought I would say about a Codemasters game. I tip my hat to the devs.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Two Brits are leading the Mini challenge right now, how fitting.

I wonder if they'll use the results of the challenges to adjust the pace. Last daily challenge I was 1 minute off and still in the top 10% overall.

Just joined the league. Thank god for service area after each event. Crashed hard in the second event and wasted one of my tires a turn right before finish :( Lost a lot of time there as well, damn.

@Daily: crashed the car right before the finish line :( I hate DNFs in this game. I wasted the weekly challenge as well. Damn :(

Robaperas

Just joined the league. Thank god for service area after each event. Crashed hard in the second event and wasted one of my tires a turn right before finish :( Lost a lot of time there as well, damn.

Losing a tire is the worst... but a nightmare if your car is RWD.

Code:
Rank	Name	Points
1	PhilResch	58
2	T-Mu	        43
3	Makikou	        40
4	bindleford	33
5	Afro	        26
6	Beast	        13
7	andi.sisernik	12
8	Zeal	        12
9	DJ_Lae	        10
10	LucidKiwi       10

Good luck!

Joined it.

Joined. Is there a new GAF league too?

Arucardo

I want some RWD action in the league stages :p . The Fiat is awesome when fully upgraded and the M3 is pretty great too, but the stock gear ratios are kinda iffy for rally (1st gear is useless and 2nd seems a bit too short when going to 3rd and so on). I unlocked the advanced setup for it now but haven't driven it after that yet, I'm expecting it to be great with better ratios.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Code:
Rank	Name	Points
1	PhilResch	58
2	T-Mu	        43
3	Makikou	        40
4	bindleford	33
5	Afro	        26
6	Beast	        13
7	andi.sisernik	12
8	Zeal	        12
9	DJ_Lae	        10
10	LucidKiwi       10

Good luck!

Joined it.

Honestly having repairs every stage kinda cheapens it. You don't really get that accumulation of damage that makes this game so cool.

Nopren

Just finished the league event, and must say I really enjoy the Mini. It feels so much easier to control than the Fulvia which is the only car I've bought.

On another note, I really need a runthrough of some stages with someone filming their controller movements. I just can't get handbrak-turns down.
I've so far just resorted to slowing down into the turn, and then speeding up out of it.
At least that keeps me from spinning and/or coming to a halt.

Kelas

On another note, I really need a runthrough of some stages with someone filming their controller movements. I just can't get handbrak-turns down.
I've so far just resorted to slowing down into the turn, and then speeding up out of it.
At least that keeps me from spinning and/or coming to a halt.

It varies a lot depending on the type of car/drivetrain, and the surface, but just by experimenting you'll eventually get a good feel for it. Just start an event to fuck around in and try different angles/speeds/timing of the handbrake and acceleration etc. It'll probably be easier to learn to slide the car with the handbrake with a front or four wheel drive, because the traction at the front will eliminate most of the chance of spinning out, and then transition what you learned to a rear wheeled drive, which will require a bit more attention to balancing the relationship between the throttle and steering. You'll get it, it just takes practice.

Pikes Peak

Really looking forward to this

Makikou

Wow!

Is there some info which cars will be implemented?

The datamined list was something like this for Pikes Peak, although devs said it's quite old:

Hill Climb Classic Unlimited:
Audi Quattro Pikes Peak
Peugeot 405 T16
Millenworks Toyota Tacoma
Rod Millen Toyota Celica

Hill Climb Modern Unlimited:
Ford Fiesta
Peugeot 208 T16
Suzuki SX4
Millen Hyundai?
Doran Ford RS200

Pikes Peak

Just remember David Higgins took a shot at the record for Pikes Peak (Rally America Class) in an Open Class WRX STi for Subaru Rally Team USA : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X73jEQwHhWA spoiler alert:
he beat the record by 2 seconds @ 6m:09s

Codemasters should watch some of that series, Launch Control is amazing to watch. Maybe even reach out to Subaru Rally Team USA on feedback for Pike's Peak? I know the series features Rally Cross (ugh) as well, but they feature equal amount of pure rally stages.

Just remember David Higgins took a shot at the record for Pikes Peak (Rally America Class) in an Open Class WRX STi for Subaru Rally Team USA : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X73jEQwHhWA spoiler alert:
he beat the record by 2 seconds @ 6m:09s

Codemasters should watch some of that series, Launch Control is amazing to watch. Maybe even reach out to Subaru Rally Team USA on feedback for Pike's Peak? I know the series features Rally Cross (ugh) as well, but they feature equal amount of pure rally stages.

Amazing stuuf. Thanks for posting. I've never been into motorsports but rally really does seem like something I can become a fan of.

Top Bottom