• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

rObit

Banned
Oh, I hadn't checked this thread in a bit. Snuck in on that league race towards the end there. :) I'll be keeping an eye out for more of those. Super fun!

bindleford

Neo Member
Of the two Group A cars I've driven, I prefer the Lancia over the Subaru, which feels swamped with understeer with the default setup. The Delta on the other hand, slides around nicely, almost akin to its Group B ancestor. Is it faster? No idea, but I do like going sideways.

Just wanted to pop in here and say I'm really loving this game. Best rally sim I've played since RSC2. It's great. Incredible sounddesign too.

OrangeOak

I've had stages like that, every time I've blown a rear tire, I just want the nightmare to end...

Question: Is it worth it to buy a cheap wheel (like reaaaally cheap) or am I better of with my PS3 pad?

Play with pad and save some money for some better wheel.
Even if you maybe will have better experience with cheap wheel, after some time you will want to buy something better.
DiRT Rally will wait for you and there will be probably a lot of games in future that will be better with wheel so I think you won't lost anything while waiting and difference between some good, even medium priced wheel and cheap wheel can be really big.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Some heavy competition on the GAF league. Very fun :p

Yeah, I don't have any hope of getting anywhere near a podium finish in the GAF league, there are just too many good drivers in here. I'm fine with that though, I'm purely looking for personal improvement with this game, not winning per say! It's just so much fun to play.

OrangeOak

Do you mean the co-driver? I'm wondering if this is a widespread issue. The audio sliders make 0 difference for me, even changing the values in the config file to below the normal limit (or even 0) does nothing.

I was talking about audio overall.I have to turn volume on my speakers really high.
At first I thought that game have turned down volume on windows mixer but it wasn't it,

Robaperas

Play with pad and save some money for some better wheel.
Even if you maybe will have better experience with cheap wheel, after some time you will want to buy something better.
DiRT Rally will wait for you and there will be probably a lot of games in future that will be better with wheel so I think you won't lost anything while waiting and difference between some good, even medium priced wheel and cheap wheel can be really big.

Yeah, it makes sense, what wheel could be the cheapest you can recommend me? maybe I can find some 2nd hand ones.

My simpler method:

High speed:
6 - flat out, let's fucking go.
5 - flat if I can see where I'm going, lift if I can't.
4 - proper lift, maybe a tap on the brake.
3 - short full press on the brake.
2 - medium braking for a bit.
1 - HARD braking.
Acute/hairpin - handbrake yo.

Low speed:
6 - flat out, let's fucking go.
5 - flat out, let's fucking go.
4 - flat out, let's fucking go.
3 - flat if I can see where I'm going, lift if I can't.
2 - medium braking for a bit.
1 - HARD braking.
Acute/hairpin - handbrake yo.

Nothing else really matters, other than the dreaded 'don't cut'. RIP every time.

Haha! Awesome...this has been learnt by osmosis if anything.

Can I ask...what's low and what's high speed? Below Third classed as low?....I'm barely above that tbh :).

Kudos to Codemasters ...Great game..

Oh...one more thing. During replays. The option to stay in drone/helicopter mode would be good. It's a good perspective to use to pick up on mistakes etc...

At the moment is just fleets between this and other perspectives...

Can I ask...what's low and what's high speed? Below Third classed as low?....I'm barely above that tbh :).

I think you just kind of use your best judgement. It's less about the absolute speed you have and more about what your last turn was, like if you're exiting a 1 and going into a 4 you can probably floor it, whereas going from a 6 to a 4 will likely require some light brake or at least lift-off. Ultimately having hard and fast rules for this sort of thing doesn't work that well because every turn and straight is different.

Also, keep meaning to mention this, but my favourite co-driver call to date: "deceptive." DECEPTIVE. First time I heard that I was all "did he just say what I thought he said?"

GeoGonzo

Oh...one more thing. During replays. The option to stay in drone/helicopter mode would be good. It's a good perspective to use to pick up on mistakes etc...

At the moment is just fleets between this and other perspectives...
Every section of the track seems to have a fixed angle for the cinematic camera... so maybe there isn't a flyby camera for the whole track.

But yes, thats one of the three biggest improvements I can think for replays, the others being slowmo and allowing us to save our runs. None of the three are "must have" things, though... Just "would be nice" features.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

OrangeOak

Yeah, it makes sense, what wheel could be the cheapest you can recommend me? maybe I can find some 2nd hand ones.

I am sorry but with this question you need to go to someone that knows more than me.
My previous answer is based on my personal experience ( I had cheap wheel and after some time started reading and looking for something better and decided to go with Thrustmaster TX) and I don't really know much more about the wheels than that.
I know that one of the cheapest wheels available that is somehow solid (pedal set is pretty bad and I don't know if you can switch them) is Logitech Driving Force GT that is compatible with PS3 and PC.
It would be a lot better to buy something like G27 though. I think that you can find it now in some good price.
But like I said, you must ask someone that knows more than me to be sure.

First event went well for me. No resets..second race however....
9B892E9B698C53C25F4610FF420AF980B26FFC25

Jibbed

I just gauge it by feel, but I'd say 70+ is high and anything from 30-60 is low on my 'scale'.

Dunno mate haha. I typed that drunk I think.

Robaperas

I am sorry but with this question you need to go to someone that knows more than me.
My previous answer is based on my personal experience ( I had cheap wheel and after some time started reading and looking for something better and decided to go with Thrustmaster TX) and I don't really know much more about the wheels than that.
I know that one of the cheapest wheels available that is somehow solid (pedal set is pretty bad and I don't know if you can switch them) is Logitech Driving Force GT that is compatible with PS3 and PC.
It would be a lot better to buy something like G27 though. I think that you can find it now in some good price.
But like I said, you must ask someone that knows more than me to be sure.

Hey, no worries, I know even less than you, and any piece of advice is more than welcome. Looking around, the G27 is way waaay beyond my budget, the DFGT would hurt my wallet a bit less.

Jibbed

Hey, no worries, I know even less than you, and any piece of advice is more than welcome. Looking around, the G27 is way waaay beyond my budget, the DFGT would hurt my wallet a bit less.

Said it before to a few other folk, the DFGT is a great wheel - especially for first time buyers.

Mine's been a trooper for 5 years now, still feels as solid as ever. Yeah the pedals aren't amazing, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Robaperas

Said it before to a few other folk, the DFGT is a great wheel - especially for first time buyers.

Mine's been a trooper for 5 years now, still feels as solid as ever. Yeah the pedals aren't amazing, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Then it's just what I need, I'm gonna save some money and buy one when I can.

------

Just finished 4th by 3 points in the Pro Championship with the M3. 24 stages without punctures!

DD

Shit, I was kind of happy with my runs yesterday. Stayed in first for some hours, but when I looked in the morning, I was already in 4th. By the afternoon I was in 8th, and then I fell to 10th. Well, at least one point, pleeeeease!

But nope!

Considering that I don't think I did better today compared to my runs yesterday, sitting currently in 2nd doesn't give me no confidence at all of scoring points... *hunf*

Robaperas

Shit, I was kind of happy with my runs yesterday. Stayed in first for some hours, but when I looked in the morning, I was already in 4th. By the afternoon I was in 8th, and then I fell to 10th. Well, at least one point, pleeeeease!

But nope!

Considering that I don't think I did better today compared to my runs yesterday, sitting currently in 2nd doesn't give me no confidence at all of scoring points... *hunf*

I hope you can score, make South America proud!

Makikou

So apparently i won yesterday's event even though i crashed so much on stage 2 that i only won 1s on that stage.

Well, the next one should be fun.

DJ_Lae

I've come across a handful of reversed calls in certain tracks, although they happen so quickly that I usually just go "wait, what?" as I corner through on my own.

Raptr killed the video quality but having replays enabled let me go back this time and check to see if it was a late call or a wrong one - co-driver wants to kill me, apparently, by taking a right 4 long as left 4 long.

First course on the weekly race - Route de Turini, I think.

Picked this up last night.
Looking forward to getting involved in the league, although I am only on a 360 pad for the foreseeable future.

I hope there will be more tracks added to Wales, Greece and Monaco.

As it is now, in the higher difficulty championships you often have an 8-stage-track and after that a 4-stage-track which in fact is just one half of the previous 8-stage-track.

I'm fine with reverse tracks since they offer a vastly different experience on the same track.

The minimum required amount of tracks would be 6 different 8-stage-tracks for every country so that with their reverse versions we'd have 12 "full length" tracks for Master championship mode.

For Early Access this is no problem, but for the finished product this should be the minimum rally content for every country.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm sure more stages/maps is on their roadmap. Right now they're focused on hill climb/Pikes Peak to release later this month or next month.

Yeah looking forward to hillclimb.

It's soon enough when the additional tracks are added in their final update. But for the retail version 12 unique tracks (incl. reversed) per country must be the minimum.

More tracks than that would be even better of course but I'd be willing to pay for them as DLC.

I've just bought a G27 (wheel and pedal set)

Have not tried it out yet... I also don't know if it was even a good idea to buy it. Someone else here using this wheel with Dirt Rally and has an opinion on it (good&bad)?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I've just bought a G27 (wheel and pedal set)

Have not tried it out yet... I also don't know if it was even a good idea to buy it. Someone else here using this wheel with Dirt Rally and has an opinion on it (good&bad)?

It's a popular wheel so I bet a lot of people are using it. It should be fine. You'll probably want to make adjustments to the advanced wheel settings in game, primarily "saturation", and possibly linearity as well. I use a dfgt and have the saturation at 100%. Higher values require a larger turn of the wheel to turn the car--you can move the car more precisely and smoothly at the expense of more effort to turn sharply or straighten slides.

If this is your first time using a wheel, don't be discouraged by the potentially awful experience you'll have on your first few attempts :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That whiteness though. Wayyyy brighter than that screenshot would indicate.

Also I'm the only person that was crazy enough to pick 1970's for the league this outing. Which bit my crazy ass in that winter event.

Top Bottom