• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Robaperas

So I deleted my progress and started from scratch, 2nd overall 22 seconds off the pace with the Mini, and just bought the Stratos for the Clubman Championship. Fun car, but it just wants to kill me at every turn. Tough but exciting.

Robaperas

Well this just happened. Car wasn't even very damaged but this was a terminal damage occurrence and it retired me. I guess the line of thinking is in real life the car would not be able to be recovered?

Unrecoverable car

Well, it certainly gives Montecarlo a bit more realism, check these 2 videos of Ott Tanak (aka Martin Skrtel) after going off.

Going off and getting back down (?)!

Getting back from a different angle.

It takes a lot of effort to get a car off a ditch/cliff, he lost 18 minutes there.

Maybe the game has certain locations where if you go off, it just decides that it's a terminal damage.

And a great onboard as a bonus!

This video is tricking my mind!

When concentrating on the audience all the time it feels like they are cut out of paper like the bitmap audiences in prior racing games. Only when he is driving slow around corners you can see they are real people moving etc (and in the beginning the one guy running across the street).

So having bitmap audiences is not a big deal but even more realistic to some degree :D
Generally good graphics* and framerate, but yeah, you can see the spectators are just cardboards.

*trees look too similar though

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've been doing the online daily's and enjoying them, so yesterday I decided to try my hand a the monthly online challenge which consists of 24 races that are gradually unlocked over the course of the month. I was driving the Lancia Delta S4 and doing fairly well for the first few races and placing a bit better than average when in the fifth race I went off the side of a cliff, damaging the car so much that it was irrecoverable. Much to my surprise, that was it for me, game over man, I was out of the race with 19 stages left. I had no idea that wrecking the car ended the challenge for you completely!

Suddenly this monthly online event took on a whole new challenge for me. You not only have to drive competitively for 24 stages but you also have to hold back enough in order to keep your car alive and driving. Intrigued, I decided to wipe my progress and start over from scratch, I really wanted to make it for the complete 24 stages.

As of yesterday only 18 stages were unlocked yet, so I started over and ran them one by one, trying my best to get good times but also being wary of not wrecking my car. That adds a whole new perspective to the driving that I found really engaging. I also discovered that you only get a chance to repair every other race, which at the start was just fine, but let me tell you after the 10th or so race I realized that the cumulative damage to my car was adding up faster than my repair crew could keep up with. My car was slowly turning into a bit of a mess. I raced on, still pushing for fast times but also trying very hard to keep the damage to a minimum for each race. The dents to the car's body were getting worse. The radiator was damaged making the engine run hotter than normal, the yellow radiator indicator popped on about race 12. Then the yellow engine warning light came on around race 14. I got a left rear flat in race 16 which I fixed before race 17 but the wheel damage was bad. However the engineer suggested focusing repairs on the suspension, engine, and radiator instead so I did.

By the end of race 18 my Lancia S4 is battered, bruised, and barely held together with duct tape. The engine sounds like it's misfiring and the engine temp indicator just won't go out, but I'm still in the race! I only hope I can actually make it all the way to the last stage before my car gives out on me...

DD

I've been doing the online daily's and enjoying them, so yesterday I decided to try my hand a the monthly online challenge which consists of 24 races that are gradually unlocked over the course of the month. I was driving the Lancia Delta S4 and doing fairly well for the first few races and placing a bit better than average when in the fifth race I went off the side of a cliff, damaging the car so much that it was irrecoverable. Much to my surprise, that was it for me, game over man, I was out of the race with 19 stages left. I had no idea that wrecking the car ended the challenge for you completely!

Suddenly this monthly online event took on a whole new challenge for me. You not only have to drive competitively for 24 stages but you also have to hold back enough in order to keep your car alive and driving. Intrigued, I decided to wipe my progress and start over from scratch, I really wanted to make it for the complete 24 stages.

As of yesterday only 18 stages were unlocked yet, so I started over and ran them one by one, trying my best to get good times but also being wary of not wrecking my car. That adds a whole new perspective to the driving that I found really engaging. I also discovered that you only get a chance to repair every other race, which at the start was just fine, but let me tell you after the 10th or so race I realized that the cumulative damage to my car was adding up faster than my repair crew could keep up with. My car was slowly turning into a bit of a mess. I raced on, still pushing for fast times but also trying very hard to keep the damage to a minimum for each race. The dents to the car's body were getting worse. The radiator was damaged making the engine run hotter than normal, the yellow radiator indicator popped on about race 12. Then the yellow engine warning light came on around race 14. I got a left rear flat in race 16 which I fixed before race 17 but the wheel damage was bad. However the engineer suggested focusing repairs on the suspension, engine, and radiator instead so I did.

By the end of race 18 my Lancia S4 is battered, bruised, and barely held together with duct tape. The engine sounds like it's misfiring and the engine temp indicator just won't go out, but I'm still in the race! I only hope I can actually make it all the way to the last stage before my car gives out on me...

Heh, awesome, isn't it? xD

My Quattro is suffering the same fate.

Okay guys, been following this thread for while, I was glad that Colin McRae Rally seems to be back!

It's been a while since I've wanted to play a single player Sim, and now I am wondering whether to choose Dirt Rally or Project Cars. I know the type of racing is different in each one (Rally vs track) but I like both.

The thing is, I've heard that project cars is not "100% simulator" and more of a "Sim-cade" game. As for Dirt Rally, I've heard the simulation is well made, which is what I am looking for.

Also, given the room where I play has no room for a wheel, I was wondering whether the gamepad controls in Dirt Rally feel right.

Based on these two points, do you guys recommend picking Dirt Rally and play with a gamepad? As I said, a "Sim-cade" is not what I am looking for.

DD

Well, no one here is a rally driver, so nobody can tell you if it's a good representation of reality. But it looks somewhat similar to what you can see in rally videos, it's not wonky and weird. The controls are very tight, and I can play just fine with a Xbox 360 controller.

flashmouth

Neo Member
What's with your engineers in the monthly, does the hired crew carry over from your offline play? Because that would make a HUGE difference, the most expensive engineers can do a lot more repairs in 30min than the standard one.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay guys, been following this thread for while, I was glad that Colin McRae Rally seems to be back! It's been a while since I've wanted to play a single player Sim, and now I am wondering whether to choose Dirt Rally or Project Cars. I know the type of racing is different in each one (Rally vs track) but I like both. The thing is, I've heard that project cars is not "100% simulator" and more of a "Sim-cade" game. As for Dirt Rally, I've heard the simulation is well made, which is what I am looking for. Also, given the room where I play has no room for a wheel, I was wondering whether the gamepad controls in Dirt Rally feel right.

Based on these two points, do you guys recommend picking Dirt Rally and play with a gamepad? As I said, a "Sim-cade" is not what I am looking for.

I want to buy PCars eventually but I got DiRT Rally first and now I am in zero rush to buy any other racing game. I've played the game with my 360 pad a few times just to see how it is, it works just fine and actually controls well IMHO, but it does not compare to my G27. The wheel with FFB makes this game such an awesome experience.

I'll just say this, even in it's current Early Access state and being unfinished, DiRT Rally is one of my favorite racing games of all time. It may be my favorite rally game of all time. The sound, the control, the sense of speed and the feeling of driving on the edge of disaster, it's all spot on IMHO. This game is addicting and a joy to play. And with more tracks and more cars on the way it is only going to get better. My only real complaint is that I have a hard time playing DiRT 1 & 2 now because they just don't feel satisfying anymore now that DiRT Rally has spoiled me.

What's with your engineers in the monthly, does the hired crew carry over from your offline play? Because that would make a HUGE difference, the most expensive engineers can do a lot more repairs in 30min than the standard one.

That's an interesting point, I've got a cheap $3200 engineer currently, and yeah your crew is used for the online challenges. That makes a big incentive to hire better crew members.

I had planned on buying all of the cars first and then buying a good pit crew afterwards but I may have to rethink that strategy, because a better crew would allow me to make more money now...

MaxiLive

Okay guys, been following this thread for while, I was glad that Colin McRae Rally seems to be back!

It's been a while since I've wanted to play a single player Sim, and now I am wondering whether to choose Dirt Rally or Project Cars. I know the type of racing is different in each one (Rally vs track) but I like both.

The thing is, I've heard that project cars is not "100% simulator" and more of a "Sim-cade" game. As for Dirt Rally, I've heard the simulation is well made, which is what I am looking for.

Also, given the room where I play has no room for a wheel, I was wondering whether the gamepad controls in Dirt Rally feel right.

This is Colin McRae Rally but not aimed at full blown sim like RBR. That said it is probably the best Rally simulation at the moment, as in giving you the experience of running a rally car through multiple tight stages where one bump or misunderstood co-driver call can end your event!

The cars feel great, the tracks are tight and unpredictable, the white knuckle adrenaline of pushing the car is all there. Comparing it to a full sim though, it might feel a little bit more forgiving if you want to drive slow and the FFB/sim features aren't fully up to scratch but by no means are bad.

flashmouth

Neo Member
That's an interesting point, I've got a cheap $3200 engineer currently, and yeah your crew is used for the online challenges. That makes a big incentive to hire better crew members.

I had planned on buying all of the cars first and then buying a good pit crew afterwards but I may have to rethink that strategy, because a better crew would allow me to make more money now...

Yesterday I looked into the team section for the first time, didn't bother with it since I'm having a blast with this game even without winning. I swapped the standard engineer for a top-tier one, which ran me 40k and lasts for 40 stages. It's insane, night and day, totally worth it. I don't have exact numbers at hand, but before it's like you can put in 5 "time points" which equal 30min, whereas the top-tier guy feels like having 20 to spend. If you drive savely, that one guy can almost refurbish you car and there are even more engineer slots to unlock.

But I don't know how this scales to modern cars, because I haven't played any championships with them yet.

Generally good graphics* and framerate, but yeah, you can see the spectators are just cardboards.

*trees look too similar though
The video of Sebastian Loeb is a video of th real world, no game footage. It looks like cardboards thanks to the shaky cam and the speed. That's what I wanted to point out. ;)

The video of Sebastian Loeb is a video of th real world, no game footage. It looks like cardboards thanks to the shaky cam and the speed. That's what I wanted to point out. ;)
Now that I've reread my post I can see how you could think I was being serious. Should've added a ;) ...

I wrote it that way because when you watch the vid and focus on the spectators it really does look like a videogame like you said.
Also the vegetation doesn't look very diverse. Just like someone complained about how it looks in DiRT Rally. ;)

DD

Which car to use in Group B? Bought the Peugeot 206, but I can't seem getting used to it.

Why not trying all of them in a custom event?

BTW, I find the Peugeot 205 the best one in the Group B class, but the Lancia Delta comes close. I find the Audi the easiest one to control though.

Afro

All I honestly want is a simple time trial mode for each vehicle class where I can repeatedly run Pikes Peak all day in order to nail that perfect run and beat my own/friend's/global times. Is this/will this be possible? Seems like a no-brainer. GAF league is fun, but I want to see how I compare w/ the rest of the world with restarts/infinite runs allowed w/ class restrictions.

Cyborg

Oooh I need this game so bad :( to bad Im not a PC gamer but this is how a Rally game is supposed to be.

Have fun guys

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Has FFB been 100% implemented/fixed yet?
Waiting for that to jump in but I haven't followed the thread for the past couple weeks.

Makikou

This is Colin McRae Rally but not aimed at full blown sim like RBR. That said it is probably the best Rally simulation at the moment, as in giving you the experience of running a rally car through multiple tight stages where one bump or misunderstood co-driver call can end your event!

The cars feel great, the tracks are tight and unpredictable, the white knuckle adrenaline of pushing the car is all there. Comparing it to a full sim though, it might feel a little bit more forgiving if you want to drive slow and the FFB/sim features aren't fully up to scratch but by no means are bad.

FYI: Being a simulator does not mean it has to be hard. Some people are actually way off on thinking how much grip you can actually have on gravel. It can be quite a lot.

Vanilla RBR in this case is just hard for the sake of being hard. Driving on gravel does not equal the ice rink feel vanilla RBR has. (Note: i cannot speak for any mods since i have not played them)

DD

The cars in RBR feel too lightweight and flip too easily. They also feel like having more power than it should. I love RBR, but I'd stay with Dirt Rally's gameplay without hesitation. Now we need many more tracks, but I'm not so confident that we'll have so much of 'em, considering how poor was the selection in the previous Dirts, specially considering that they'll spend resources on Rallycross and Hill Climb stuff. =/

Robaperas

The cars in RBR feel too lightweight and flip too easily. They also feel like having more power than it should. I love RBR, but I'd stay with Dirt Rally's gameplay without hesitation. Now we need many more tracks, but I'm not so confident that we'll have so much of 'em, considering how poor was the selection in the previous Dirts, specially considering that they'll spend resources on Rallycross and Hill Climb stuff. =/

Maybe, but I'm just happy that the game is getting made, even if we get only 3 more locations (I know they require a lot of work to design, create and polish); I'd be even happier if we get an EVO VI T.M.E or any EVO.

DD

Maybe, but I'm just happy that the game is getting made, even if we get only 3 more locations (I know they require a lot of work to design, create and polish); I'd be even happier if we get an EVO VI T.M.E or any EVO.

Evo III and IV. :3

Also, Maxi Megane and Bug-Eye Corolla.

bindleford

Neo Member
The best thing CM could do for the longevity of the game is Steam Workshop support, at least for courses. Cars and liveries would also be nice but has the potential to turn into a DMCA nightmare.

Robaperas

The best thing CM could do for the longevity of the game is Steam Workshop support, at least for courses. Cars and liveries would also be nice but has the potential to turn into a DMCA nightmare.

Yeah, that'd be great, as for the liveries, people may create "lookalikes" without getting into trouble... I guess.

elfinke

This would be incredible, if the Cities Skylines workshop support is anything to go by.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
http://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/36j0e4/periodic_table_of_dirt_car_list_at_codemasters/

XGMRQFL.jpg

lJehbxh.jpg

DD

Finally a good Mini to play with in the league. :)

Dat Sega Rally. I know the Delta is in the game, but are there any of the Celica GT-FOURs?
Not currently, but it's one of the cars that I'm certain that will come in the future, since Dirt 3 had that car. Considering that most of the cars we have now were present in Dirt 3, so I guess that there's a good chance to see cars like the Celica, Alpine A110 and a few others from the previous games of the franchise.

Good, if they add half of those I'd be more than happy.

A Fabia WRC but no group A Evo, WRC05 Evo or Focus RS WRC03 :(

Dear Lord, I can't even fathom having all of those in the game. If they do it, they Holy Shit.....o_O

One of the devs mentioned that the list is just a rough guide. Cars that are on there might not make it to the game, but cars that are not on there might make it to the game.

Shaneus

Finally a good Mini to play with in the league. :)

Not currently, but it's one of the cars that I'm certain that will come in the future, since Dirt 3 had that car. Considering that most of the cars we have now were present in Dirt 3, so I guess that there's a good chance to see cars like the Celica, Alpine A110 and a few others from the previous games of the franchise.
The ST205 is in that list from Reddit, but sadly not this beast:
h0BzWDl.jpg

I've read this game has Oculus support, but not in 3d, that true?

Seeing this as an experiment on Codemasters side, how likely is it that we will see full VR support down the road later this year/next year? Is it unreasonable to expect this?

(I want to experience all racing games with a wheel and in vr)

astonish

I've read this game has Oculus support, but not in 3d, that true?

Seeing this as an experiment on Codemasters side, how likely is it that we will see full VR support down the road later this year/next year? Is it unreasonable to expect this?

(I want to experience all racing games with a wheel and in vr)

For how early the game is both are in good shape.

Nvidia 3D vision seems to work very well. I had one issue with shadows on a particular level, but generally it seems to work perfect. The only thing I notice is that if you increase the 'depth' certain textures (like car logos) become blurry. Totally playable in 3D vision though which is more than i can say for most games (RIP 3D vision).

It's also playable on my Oculus DK2. The position movement is over amplified instead of 1:1 (i remember seeing a fix for this somewhere tho). There are some qwirks with certain settings that will make your windsheild opaque (whoops!) and the menus are totally fucked. Its not such a big deal as you use the menus on a regular screen and put on the rift for racing. I had to turn my settings all to low to keep the framerate at 75hz on my GTX680, with my GTX970 I could turn up a few things but its still far lower detail than what you would see on the monitor (like most VR is for now). Again super playable.

Both are pretty great already and most of the tweaks needed seem minor/bugfix in nature, I think you can expect both great 3D vision and VR support for this game.

Also on my work machine with a R290X there were 3D settings, but I don't have a 3D monitor at work so I don't know how the AMD 3D works.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Did they change the stick acceleration for controllers? It seems like it's slightly harder to control the vehicles now for me.

Top Bottom