• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Something was off about the controls for me, too. I'm not very sensitive about that stuff, but it changed a lot between two races for me.

Robaperas

Did they change the stick acceleration for controllers? It seems like it's slightly harder to control the vehicles now for me.

I use a DS4 and it felt the same, but I have different Sensibility/Linearity settings for every car, so maybe I can't tell.

DD

And I played yesterday's night and felt nothing different. Aren't you guys just using different cars with different kinds of reactions?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain this monthly event graphic to me? I'm pretty sure it makes no sense:
2015-05-20_00001nmpwi.jpg
- Why is 100:09min worth more money than 96:23min, which is a faster time?
- Why am I, with a time of 91:39min somewhere between these two numbers?
- Why is the bar where it's at?

And I played yesterday's night and felt nothing different. Aren't you guys just using different cars with different kinds of reactions?
Same car on different tracks, I restarted the game a couple of times and it felt like it went back to normal. Maybe it was just my imagination, but it didn't feel like it.

Can someone explain this monthly event graphic to me? I'm pretty sure it makes no sense:

- Why is 100:09min worth more money than 96:23min, which is a faster time?
- Why am I, with a time of 91:39min somewhere between these two numbers?
- Why is the bar where it's at?

I'd say it has to do with the fact that the monthly challenge hasn't been completed yet, so the times are all screwy. Once the other events become available and people start completing them you'll see the times go back to normal.

DD

Damn, I don't know if it's because I slept late yesterday, but I simply cannot play this game today. I'm driving like an idiot. I give up. :p

Robaperas

Hey guys just got this wheel from a family member who had it in storage last 5 years.

Logitech Driving Force Pro

Plugged it in and it lit up and was recognized by the game but then i realized it was missing the power supply.

Would either of these work and which am I better off buying?

Logitech

Bootleg

I'm cheap so I'd try to get a 24v 0.75A or 1A at a flea market or something like that.

Edit: also this: Price completely out of line must be a mistake - or robbery - Electrical Engineer's opinion

Robaperas

Great interview by Mike Williams on USGamer

"Right now a car takes about a week to get from after our Vehicle Artists have completed the model to be taken into game with all its cameras, damage and surface specific chassis tuning set up"

Steam Workshop is something we are looking at. Ultimately I would love for us to eventually be able to leave DiRT Rally with the fans and let them continue its development.

Sounds good to me!

undu

Car-making and stage/rally-making tools are the definite feature that would make it THE rally game.

Shame they couldn't do it with grid autosport. I'm hopeful that they can release at least the map-making tools for this game.

DD

Forgot to say that yesterday I managed to lose a wheel. No, not just the tire. Lost the entire wheel and dragged my Fiesta over the disk brake. I'm good!

DD

The entire rim? I've never seen that, was it in Wales?

Yes. I flew off the track and hit a tree with the left side of the car, right above the left rear wheel, and then it fell off. It's even more crappier than blowing up a tire. :(

And yes, Wales.

That happens to me all the time. You are clearly too good.

Hah, come on, man, your times in the league aren't that bad.

Robaperas

Yes. I flew off the track and hit a tree with the left side of the car, right above the left rear wheel, and then it fell off. It's even more crappier than blowing up a tire. :(.

And yes, Wales.

Wow, the damage model is even better than I thought it was :D

That happens to me all the time. You are clearly too good.

I think I'm average at best, and I've blown a lot of tires learning how to drive the RWD cars, but I always get to the end with the rim, even if it spits sparks like a angle grinder through the entire stage.

DD

I think I'm average at best, and I've blown a lot of tires learning how to drive the RWD cars, but I always get to the end with the rim, even if it spits sparks like a angle grinder through the entire stage.

Same. I usually don't hit the restart button (what is done is done), and the only time I had a rage quit, I was sent to a lower division. ;(

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just join the NeoGAF league.

I really liked the current event. Six quick different races is a good format. Not a fan of the Mini, though.

Jest went an ordered the overpriced power supply for my driving force pro. Man if this thing ends up not working I'm not gonna be happy. =(

The lil green light turns on and the PC recognizes it it just doesn't have any juice since it doesn't have a power source. We'll see.

Noticed this posted on Shack: Fan made video . I was going to wait a little longer before buying but the video made me salivate for more and looking forward to Pike's Peak as well!

This is a cool little video, I like it.

Edit:

People who've made videos of their replays, what are you using to record? It's been so long since I've recorded anything, I'm guessing fraps is no longer the popular choice.

Are you on Nvidia? Then you should look into Shadowplay!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
People who've made videos of their replays, what are you using to record? It's been so long since I've recorded anything, I'm guessing fraps is no longer the popular choice.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I use OBS for both streaming and recording, it's pretty easy to use and not very demanding. I think FRAPS is still used for really good image quality, though.

Kelas

Are you on Nvidia? Then you should look into Shadowplay!

oh yeah I forgot about that, thanks! I always untick nvidia experience when installing new drivers

I use OBS for both streaming and recording, it's pretty easy to use and not very demanding. I think FRAPS is still used for really good image quality, though.

I'll take a look at obs too, thanks! I don't think I'm too worried about having anything look perfect.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If you haven't driven Group B for a while and want to take on the fresh monthly stages...you should do some warm-up. Just made a tiny mistake, flipped off a cliff and that was it after 18 stages. And they say the Souls games are punishing.

DD

I saw it for a bit, two Paraguayans in an Evo X, against 2 Brazilians in a green Evo IX. The thing I liked the most, was the event logo/emblem, I LOVE yerba mate
the argentinian one, sorry :p

Never tried. I don't even know if it's sweet, bitter, salty, or something else. xD

Usually only people from the south drink it. They call it "chimarrão" down there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I use a DS4 and it felt the same, but I have different Sensibility/Linearity settings for every car, so maybe I can't tell.

I haven't messed with settings and it seems a little less tight than it was a few weeks ago. I dunno if it's a placebo effect/changed gravel physics or just me or if they REALLY DID do changes to controllers. It's funky.

I'm sitting here like: "I need to buy a boat cat.jpg" just for a racing wheel.

Steam workshop for more tracks/runs would be AMAZING.

Robaperas

I haven't messed with settings and it seems a little less tight than it was a few weeks ago. I dunno if it's a placebo effect/changed gravel physics or just me or if they REALLY DID do changes to controllers. It's funky.

I'm sitting here like: "I need to buy a boat cat.jpg" just for a racing wheel.

I was on the same boat (heh) as you, but I only really like rally games, so if I buy a racing wheel and stop playing this game, I'd end up storing it; so instead I bought a DS4.

Try to edit the sensitivity and linearity settings a bit, they help a LOT with the group B cars and the RWD ones.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I finished the monthly online challenge today, and luckily I managed to keep my car driving for all 24 stages! By the last race however the Lancia S4 was in pretty bad shape.

Now I just have to wait a few days to see how much money I made!

Kelas

So, I still have this weird bug where my custom wheel settings don't take effect until I pause the game. It seems to happen every stage - the wheel is stiffer and more responsive than what I set it at, and it loosens up correctly after a pause/continue.

But, I also have an additional problem now. On the first stage I load after starting up the game, my car drags to the right despite the wheel being centered. Pause/continue doesn't seem to reset it, as with the other bug. Didn't conclusively test this, but fixing it seemed to require I stop the car and rotate the wheel all the way left, then all the way right. Once it's back to normal, it doesn't happen again until I restart the game.

I made my first few rounds with my G27, the first time ever I've used a wheel like that. It's awesome! I need to work to stay on the road when driving through corners at higher speeds, that's how I like it.

What is less awesome is my DIY wheelstand made auf of a few very sturdy 4x4s, put some long screws through em and after my first session this thing is a wobly mess... man I suck at buidling simple things, no talent at all. There are some nice DIY wheelstands on some websites but they are way out of my skillset, I don't even have all the tools to make them lol.
Have to think about this before I can play more Dirt.

Robaperas

What is less awesome is my DIY wheelstand made auf of a few very sturdy 4x4s, put some long screws through em and after my first session this thing is a wobly mess... man I suck at buidling simple things, no talent at all. There are some nice DIY wheelstands on some websites but they are way out of my skillset, I don't even have all the tools to make them lol.
Have to think about this before I can play more Dirt.

Maybe we can help you, I have some experience building furniture or modifying it with just a few tools.

Maybe we can help you, I have some experience building furniture or modifying it with just a few tools.

Thanks but I have a friend who is quite capable in these things, at least more than I am. I was planning on giving him a call and then this will be done properly.

This is from another message board:

http://imgur.com/5HLLhvM
http://imgur.com/Yh1ohoE

I was thinking about scrapping my wheelstand and trying this but only with the help of my friend. If I lose my patience I will slap together some more 4x4s and bolt them to each other. I honestly don't care much for the design and look, I just want the functionality.

Robaperas

Thanks but I have a friend who is quite capable in these things, at least more than I am. I was planning on giving him a call and then this will be done properly.

This is from another message board:

http://imgur.com/5HLLhvM
http://imgur.com/Yh1ohoE

I was thinking about scrapping my wheelstand and trying this but only with the help of my friend. If I lose my patience I will slap together some more 4x4s and bolt them to each other. I honestly don't care much for the design and look, I just want the functionality.
That's a pretty clever design, but like you said if the one you built works, it doesn't matter how it looks. Although that design looks fairly easy to build, I don't know if it's that sturdy, the "flaps" look like they're made out of 12mm MDF or Plywood, but I don't see how are they fixed to the 1"x1" at the base. If you're going to build that, get some high quality hinges, they need to be firm, if they're loose or the pin doesn't fit tightly inside the knuckles, it'll be unstable.

Edit: Searching around, the ones made out of PVC pipes are even easier to build, and can be disassembled with ease.

DD

Finally, after 34 hours of gaming, I got promoted to the masters level.

Also, I'm in the points in the league! I'm in the points in the league!

DD

Very nice!

About the lack of front responsiveness, I use the brakes to throw some weight to the front to get some more grip there. And I have a feeling that this weekend I think I've reached a higher sensibility in that area. I'm being so gentle with the brakes, and with that, I'm finding much more control with the car. I'm much more confident now, going faster and making less mistakes.

To anyone using a wheel... which button to use for the handbrake? Or are you all actually have a physical handbrake?

Also, I'm missing the option to use my shifter, only the pedal shifter behind the wheel are working. Where do I find the setting for it? Or is it that most Rally cars just don't use an H like shifter?

Kelas

To anyone using a wheel... which button to use for the handbrake? Or are you all actually have a physical handbrake?

Also, I'm missing the option to use my shifter, only the pedal shifter behind the wheel are working. Where do I find the setting for it? Or is it that most Rally cars just don't use an H like shifter?

I use circle on a dfgt, which is the default for most racing games I've played.

No idea about the shifter.

Edit:

What's the word on the next season of the league? salmonella_dub didn't return to complete the second event, otherwise he probably would have taken it from me.

Also, I think the new format worked well. My suggestion for the next would be 3 events, 6 stages per event, each event is one country, progression of a "day" over the course of an event (first stage morning, last stage night), a few days to complete each event. I'd also suggest 70s cars, but I know some people don't like them.

Kelas

When is the Hillclikb arriving? That's at the end of this month isnt it?

I think so, according to their timeline. Anything could go wrong though, I suppose, and it might be later.

Top Bottom