• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

kazinova

I just sorted my driver issues from upgrading to a GTX 970 and my body is ready. I can't wait to go home today. Pikes Peak, The Witcher 3 and the Cavs game. It's gon' be gud to-nite!

DD

I just find Pikes Peak terribly fun to run. Oddly enough I've never seen Mt. Washington in a video game that I can remember, and I've no idea why as that's a similar hill climb.

After that video someone posted here, now I want Mt. Washington in this game too. So so beautiful. :(

Pike's Peak was pretty great in Rallisport Challenge 2!

I should probably get a wheel for this but eh.

Wait, Pikes Peak wasn't present in RSC2, was it?!

Great... and now that this update rolls out, my PC starts to freeze and bsod when idle.

Fuck, man, this sux. =/

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
After that video someone posted here, now I want Mt. Washington in this game too. So so beautiful. :(

I'm pretty sure it was in the first RSC, I'm not sure about RSC2. Or maybe I'm getting them mixed up? Fuck, I don't remember, I KNOW it was in one of them, because I raced it a lot in RSC!

epmode

Wasn't it?

After checking Youtube, I know I've played a game on that course and I know I read "Pike's Peak" in RSC2.. But Gamefaqs shows that I must have been confused. A few cars in the game had "Pike's Peak" in their name but you never actually raced there.

Looks like I mixed it up with one of the earlier Dirt games.

DD

Wasn't it?

After checking Youtube, I know I've played a game on that course and I know I read "Pike's Peak" in RSC2.. But Gamefaqs shows that I must have been confused. A few cars in the game had "Pike's Peak" in their name but you never actually raced there.

Looks like I mixed it up with one of the earlier Dirt games.

Well, the big RSC rival was CMR, that's probably where you played it. =B

I'll check it on tonight, both on RSC2 and CMR05.

benzy

There isn't a Pike's Peak in Rallisport guys. They were all fictional tracks in real world environments like Driveclub. :p

paskowitz

Sorry to burst people's bubble, but the physics on these hillclimb cars are terrible. The Audi locks up the brakes crazy fast, the 405 oversteers like crazy and the 205 understeers like crazy.

Sorry to burst people's bubble, but the physics on these hillclimb cars are terrible. The Audi locks up the brakes crazy fast, the 405 oversteers like crazy and the 205 understeers like crazy.

205 definitely doesn't under steer. I couldn't keep it on the road earlier because of how easily the back kicks out.

Mengy

There isn't a Pike's Peak in Rallisport guys. They were all fictional tracks in real world environments like Driveclub. :p

Are you serious? Man, I must be getting all of the rally games mixed up with each other then, because I could have sworn I remembered running Pikes Peak in Rallisport Challenge 1.

I know it was in Dirt 1, I'm pretty sure it was in rFactor, I know I've raced it in at least one other game and I thought it was RSC1, was it in a CMR game too? Too many racing games, LOL.

Afro

I may have confused the two.

The first Peugeot does have some crazy understeer (gamepad).

I'd really like to run Pikes w/ the other classes, damn. I want to open that 60's Mini up!

Found a new bug. Switching resolution mid-race causes the game to revert to a really low res even when setting it to 4K. Resetting the game after choosing your desired res fixes it.

Love this stretch:

image000010loe9.jpg

Stig94

Neo Member
Audi Sport Quattro hillclimb seems to have some snap oversteer, is it just me or does the driving feel quite different to say a Group B car on the normal stages before?

Darkdeus

Finally got in on the Neogaf league. How many people typically have been participating? Do you earn any credits or anything for league seasons or events?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Have Codies said whether they plan to have a rally version of Pike's where you can drive the other cars and have pace notes? That'd be awesome.

DD

Have Codies said whether they plan to have a rally version of Pike's where you can drive the other cars and have pace notes? That'd be awesome.

I really hope they do that. More content on the core part (rallying) on the career mode, pls.

Mengy

I just ran my first mixed surface full course Pikes Peak race (custom event) with the first Peugot. Holy hell I'm glad I actually finished the race with my car still drivable!

Just barely though, my right rear was flat and throwing sparks about 2/3 of the way up:

This is how my car looked by the finish line:

That was rough!

Now I need to run enough championships to earn enough money to buy a hill climb class car...

Tainted

How does this game run on lower end rigs ? I'm interested in getting it as it brings back good memories of CMR games in the past...but my machine is pretty mediocre and I cant realy afford an upgrade for a while

i5-2400 / 8GB ram / GTX 560Ti

How does this game run on lower end rigs ? I'm interested in getting it as it brings back good memories of CMR games in the past...but my machine is pretty mediocre and I cant realy afford an upgrade for a while

If you flip Shaders and shadows to Ultra Low, you can run it with pretty much max textures at 60fps. Although at that point it looks like a PS2 game. in some spots.

Robaperas

I run it on High, 2x MSAA (only at "768p" though) at 60fps with slight drops, on an FX 6300/R7 260X, I think your PC is good enough.

It's one of the oldest motorsport events:

http://www.ppihc.com/ppihc-history/

But all you need to know is that it is considered to be of the greatest driving challenges and should be a huge amount of fun in DiRT Rally.

Mt. Washington's "Climb to the Clouds" is old(er than Pike's Peak) and great enough to deserve a spot in Hillclimb, also Mark Higgins can drive.

and I know this is more Tarmac than Rally, but Isle of Mann's TT challenge is amazing to watch, it even has a deathtoll.

Mark Higgin's in 2011 set an all-time fastest production car lap with a Near-Crash at 150mph, and then Mark crushed that same record in 2014

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy balls... I've just tried the first section, and I killed like 30 people. Did 3 minutes flat on my "best" run.

Same. Rain or not, it seems like the cars slide out wayyyyy easy. Tried both Peugeot's. I'll try the one car in the middle later.

Shaneus

i5-3470, 8GB RAM, GTX 660

Everything at Ultra except high shadows and high ambient occlusion.

With NO AA I get 65fps average (51 fps minimum, 78fps maximum) at 1080p.
Fantastic. I have a 2500K (overclocked to just shy of 5GHz) and a 5850/5970 combo. I think I have nothing to worry about :D

Is anybody else having an issue where the ground disappears on Pikes Peak? I haven't been able to finish it yet as the track keeps disappearing. It does it in the same spots, every 50 to 100m or so.

DD

Is anybody else having an issue where the ground disappears on Pikes Peak? I haven't been able to finish it yet as the track keeps disappearing. It does it in the same spots, every 50 to 100m or so.

Nope.

Make the Steam check your installation to see if it helps.

bindleford

Neo Member
After the audio adjustments, while I can hear the co-driver better, the in-car engine sound has been pushed to the back of the stereo mix. Consequently, it sounds quite muffled and distant, lacking the rawness and bite that was present before. The growl of the Stratos just isn't the same.

Regarding the new content, initial impressions aren't good. The new cars feel like they're from a different game. Awkward and strange to control, with the high speeds and tarmac of Pikes Peak exacerbating the on/off grip issues with that surface.

Growing pains, I hope, but the update isn't clicking for me so far.

Mengy

Regarding the new content, initial impressions aren't good. The new cars feel like they're from a different game. Awkward and strange to control, with the high speeds and tarmac of Pikes Peak exacerbating the on/off grip issues with that surface.

I love the course, well done on that. I've only raced the first Peugeot so far but I agree the rear feels like it's on ice a lot more than I would expect. I'm sure I could get better with it after some practice, and I hope some of that slipperiness can be tuned out by tweaking the suspension. I've almost got enough saved up to buy a hill climb car now, so tonight I think I'll finish up a championship or two and then I'm going to try to tame this wild beast called Pikes Peak.

I wouldn't mind seeing an "open" type event in the custom races that allows you to run any car on any track though. That would be fun.

DD

Well, after a few tries, in the end I did a not so terrible run yesterday, falling off the track just once. But, my gosh, these cars are really bad to drive. The 205 loses the rear at just trying to turn a little more than gently. You also have to brake way waaay before a turn, and very gently too, or else they'll lock. I know that partially it's because it is a wider track (so there's less sense of speed) in much more powerful cars, so it tricks the mind. But these cars feel like weighting much more under braking than they should. Were the brakes that bad at the 80's?

TheSeks

How's the Thrustmaster T80 racing wheel? Should I return it?

KillerAJD

Man, there is some wicked dead zone issues for me now on my t500(maybe before too? Didn't notice it as much though). There's a good 3 inches left and right of nearly no feel, and then it kicks in suddenly right after that. Feels very strange. I'll have to mess with the settings some more, but it sounds like this is the issue that others have talked about as far as the feel of the ffb. Oh, and braking in the new cars is insane. You need so much room or the car locks up no matter what. Kind of fun to try and slide through the turns when doing it, but it's not fast at all, haha.

saladine1

After the audio adjustments, while I can hear the co-driver better, the in-car engine sound has been pushed to the back of the stereo mix. Consequently, it sounds quite muffled and distant, lacking the rawness and bite that was present before. The growl of the Stratos just isn't the same.

I thought I was the only one.

Yep, the cockpit sounds have been demoted lol....... :(

Dave Sullivan, not like this....not like this...

TheSeks

Yes, buy a T300 + T3P8 pedals or whatever they're called instead. It's a lot more expensive though :p

It looks like it's mixing the Ferrrari Wheel and this one together?

Ark

It looks like it's mixing the Ferrrari Wheel and this one together?

The T80? It's basically a budget entry-level wheel, which is absolutely fine, but I would recommend the T300RS Ferrari or PS4 version because I recently upgraded to one from a Logitech DFGT. Though yeah, it's waay more expensive.

The T80 is probably absolutely fine, don't mind me I'm just being a little bit elitist :p

TheSeks

The T80? It's basically a budget entry-level wheel, which is absolutely fine, but I would recommend the T300RS Ferrari or PS4 version because I recently upgraded to one from a Logitech DFGT. Though yeah, it's waay more expensive.

The T80 is probably absolutely fine, don't mind me I'm just being a little bit elitist :p

No, I was talking the X-box side Ferarri Wheel: The F458 or something like that.

Top Bottom