• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If that X-box F458 worked on PS3, I'd probably get it. But I doubt it does. :/ Which is why I went for this one. I'm just using it as a starter wheel to adjust and maybe go for a better one later.

Afro

Physics on the original stages feel almost arcadey coming from Pikes. Been reading a ton of criticisms, but I actually found Pikes to be a more rewarding, humbling experience w/ its less forgiving (albeit rough) physics. It feels like actual work as opposed to shredding through corner after corner without much apprehension (key word).

Also felt a sense of fear at high speeds, which just wasn't there on the original stages. I like being forced to be a bit more conservative on the throttle in lower gears and not being able to effortlessly correct every oversteer.

Robaperas

Well, I think I fixed my PC (Fingers crossed)... and now the game won't launch, I'm getting the error 41 thing. Never buy cheap/crappy motherboards.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Well, I think I fixed my PC (Fingers crossed)... and now the game won't launch, I'm getting the error 41 thing. Never buy cheap/crappy motherboards.

What worked for me is to have at least 3GB free on your C: drive, regardless of what drive you have the game installed on. Try that.

Shaneus

What worked for me is to have at least 3GB free on your C: drive, regardless of what drive you have the game installed on. Try that.
Ahhhhh. I remember there was a problem a while back with F1 2012 where there were lockups or crashes or something, and it was to do with how (or where) the game (also based on the Ego engine) saved it's replay data. I think it was located in the user's profile folder somewhere, so that could explain that. I wasn't having the problem (still don't own DR) but remember that being a thing with older Ego games.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So now I've tried out all three hill climb cars and I have to say that I vastly prefer the Audi Quattro Sport. Both Peugeot's feel hard to handle for me, one spins out too easily and the other won't turn, but the Audi I feel very comfortable with. That will be the one I buy first, only one more championship and I can afford it!

Shaneus

Can we get Borderless Fullscreen mode added to DiRT Rally please? C'mon codemasters, it's 2015 and this is a PC-only game right now.
What do you use that for? I'm not being facetious, I've just never seen a use for it yet people seem to request it for most PC games.

bindleford

Neo Member
I thought I was the only one.

Yep, the cockpit sounds have been demoted lol....... :(

Dave Sullivan, not like this....not like this...

It's odd, I've not seen it mentioned much elsewhere, but it was very obvious me to me on first driving. It doesn't sound nice at all.

Mengy

It's odd, I've not seen it mentioned much elsewhere, but it was very obvious me to me on first driving. It doesn't sound nice at all.

I've not noticed any sound issues myself, the game sounds as great as ever to me. Maybe I'm just too focused on the driving to pick up on it...

What do you use that for? I'm not being facetious, I've just never seen a use for it yet people seem to request it for most PC games.

It's more convenient if you have dual monitors, because you can access whatever you have running on the other monitor without having to alt+tab out of full screen.

Also there is some vsync stuff that only works in desktop mode, but I don't really know enough about that to explain it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't that be done in ol' fashioned full screen mode?

Yes, but there is some performance benefit for borderless compared to old fashioned full-screen. Downsampling gets a better performance in borderless, I think. I'm not all up on it, but there is some benefits to going that way.

Anyway the last "track" of the league: Getting near the end and lose focus to go flying off the mountain. Get last place. :( ;_;

DD

Soo, we're gonna have Pikes Peak at our league any day in the future, or people still want to stay the f*ck away with those shitty cars?

Mengy

Soo, we're gonna have Pikes Peak at our league any day in the future, or people still want to stay the f*ck away with those shitty cars?

Honestly...I'm loving Pikes Peak so far.

I bought my first hill climb car last night, the Audi Quattro (the middle one), and I ran a few open level hill climb events, and I think it's fantastic. I didn't like driving either of the Peugeot's but the Audi I like a lot. Still, I need lots of practice. Hill climbs are all about learning the course and then pushing it to the limit. Having driven Pikes Peak both in many games before and in real life I know it somewhat but still this is a whole new beast.

I'd love for our next GAF league event to be a hill climb!

Shaneus

Not that it matters to most people here given they already have it, but it looks like the 10% off for Dirt Rally has now disappeared from Steam. No idea if that was going to exist until it went fully on sale (I assumed it was) but it's gawn now.

DD

Honestly...I'm loving Pikes Peak so far.

I bought my first hill climb car last night, the Audi Quattro (the middle one), and I ran a few open level hill climb events, and I think it's fantastic. I didn't like driving either of the Peugeot's but the Audi I like a lot. Still, I need lots of practice. Hill climbs are all about learning the course and then pushing it to the limit. Having driven Pikes Peak both in many games before and in real life I know it somewhat but still this is a whole new beast.

I'd love for our next GAF league event to be a hill climb!

Yeah, I saw your post about the Audi yesterday and I decided to try it again. I still fild it awful. xD

It's weird how the car loses control under braking. Maybe sending the brakes a bit more to the rear and reducing brake power would do the trick. I have to try that. The only time I managed to climb the mountain without destroying the car was when I ran a Peugeot 205, after some tweaks. I also find easier to run on the mixed version instead of the full asphalt.

But I wouldn't mind to run it in our league. I was just asking. :3

Not that it matters to most people here given they already have it, but it looks like the 10% off for Dirt Rally has now disappeared from Steam. No idea if that was going to exist until it went fully on sale (I assumed it was) but it's gawn now.

It was just for the 1st week.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I really messed up my league attempt. Too slow on the first few stages, and spun between walls on stage 3 or 4. On stage 2, after about the halfway point, the co-driver consistently read out the wrong directions for every turn. Wrong numbers too, like he was literally reading the notes for a different stage.

It was fun though. Valee descendante is a great long stage. Interesting results so far, too. 34 people finished stage 1, only 17 finished stage 6.

I've had a go at pikes peak in the audi and I think it's awesome. We should definitely do a full run of that for the league at some point. It'll be fun to see how that turns out lol. I think I left the track a dozen times in the lower sections on my first try. I can't imagine doing it with a controller. Also I wish they had a floating map up where they put the pacenotes. It's a damn long track to practice on and a map would help with the memorisation process for those less familiar with it.

DD

I've had a go at pikes peak in the audi and I think it's awesome. We should definitely do a full run of that for the league at some point. It'll be fun to see how that turns out lol. I think I left the track a dozen times in the lower sections on my first try. I can't imagine doing it with a controller. Also I wish they had a floating map up where they put the pacenotes. It's a damn long track to practice on and a map would help with the memorisation process for those less familiar with it.

Maybe that's my problem. ;(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yes, but there is some performance benefit for borderless compared to old fashioned full-screen. Downsampling gets a better performance in borderless, I think. I'm not all up on it, but there is some benefits to going that way.

Anyway the last "track" of the league: Getting near the end and lose focus to go flying off the mountain. Get last place. :( ;_;

Actually borderless has a performance hit, not benefit.

The reason to run in borderless is that it gives proper triple buffering in games that don't have it, so your framerate doesn't go nuts with V-Sync enabled.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Maybe that's my problem. ;(

before trying it today with my wheel, I gave it like 2 minutes yesterday with my controller and couldn't cope at all. I crawled up three corners and quit :p

Dave_6

CM fixing the FFB would help me out immensely. I always feel like the wheel is fighting me the wrong way yet I can't play it when I turn the FFB off. I still enjoy playing it regardless but I'd play it a lot more if the FFB was much better.

DD

before trying it today with my wheel, I gave it like 2 minutes yesterday with my controller and couldn't cope at all. I crawled up three corners and quit :p

Damn, I miss having a wheel. I guess being a loser in life sux. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CM fixing the FFB would help me out immensely. I always feel like the wheel is fighting me the wrong way yet I can't play it when I turn the FFB off. I still enjoy playing it regardless but I'd play it a lot more if the FFB was much better.

Isn't there an option to revert the direction of forces of the FFB? I've seen some games with this option, like GTR2, for example.

Dave_6

Isn't there an option to revert the direction of forces of the FFB? I've seen some games with this option, like GTR2, for example.

I don't think there is unless I'm mistaken. It has simple FFB options compared to most sims.

not having to alt-tab out of the game in a multi-monitor config to access other data or windows, this is crucial for sim-rigs that run multimonitor setups.

I think I'm in the wrong race.

rGuKCFe.jpg

Model swap from GRID Autosport

:O

Does it keep the base model handling?

--------------

Just finished the monthly event, Wales was a nightmare, I ended up +22:11.852 in my Audi Quattro... not bad
just meh

Yup, handling is the only thing I can't change.

I can import the model fine, all liveries, sounds, the cockpit view (which looks terrible because they were modelled with little detail of course), even the animations such as electric spoilers and the Huayra's weird fin things work perfectly, but replacing the handling files breaks the game, so for now the car handles like whatever it replaces.

Robaperas

I can import the model fine, all liveries, sounds, the cockpit view (which looks terrible because they were modelled with little detail of course), even the animations such as electric spoilers and the Huayra's weird fin things work perfectly, but replacing the handling files breaks the game, so for now the car handles like whatever it replaces.

Wow, that's great; can you import liveries or models from every ego engine game?

I don't think there is unless I'm mistaken. It has simple FFB options compared to most sms.
The FFB problems aren't due to an inverted signal - it only feels similar to an inverted signal during oversteer moments. The rest of the output is the correct way round, so if there was an invert option, it wouldn't solve the problem (it would be worse in all other situations, i.e. pulling in the direction of a neutral/understeering turn rather than self-centring).

The issue relates directly to the physics - the effect of self-aligning torque on the steering column when the rear of car is looser than the front, so it requires a significant reworking of the FFB system.

It sounds like the team have made progress, as they've invited me to check it out next week :)

DD

What about the cameras and sounds? It would be interesting to climb Pikes Peak with this, bwahahaha!

grid-autosport-2.jpg

Ordered a G27 after getting hooked on this game the past few days. I guess I could get competent with my xbox controller (already have improved a lot), but using a wheel just seems so much more fun.

Wanted to get a T500, but nobody had it in stock and waiting weeks isn't an option.

What about the cameras and sounds? It would be interesting to climb Pikes Peak with this, bwahahaha!

grid-autosport-2.jpg

Using the original cameras from the cars in GRID messes up the replay cameras (it just gets stuck at the start line), so I just swap in whatever DiRT car I think has the closest cameras. And yes, sounds work, it's just a simple drag-drop and changing a name in a file. I'll swap that car in next and record it if you want. Is that the Dallara thing?

Wow, that's great; can you import liveries or models from every ego engine game?

I think the much older games like DiRT 2, GRID 1 and below might not work. The oldest swaps I've seen that work are from DiRT 3, so you can have stuff like the Alpine A110 if you didn't mind it handling like something else.

DD

Using the original cameras from the cars in GRID messes up the replay cameras (it just gets stuck at the start line), so I just swap in whatever DiRT car I think has the closest cameras. And yes, sounds work, it's just a simple drag-drop and changing a name in a file. I'll swap that car in next and record it if you want. Is that the Dallara thing?
Nah man, don't worry. It's just curiosity. :p

But please, post the stuff you decide to do with the game. I'm interested to see this kind of crazy shit, haha!

I think the much older games like DiRT 2, GRID 1 and below might not work. The oldest swaps I've seen that work are from DiRT 3, so you can have stuff like the Alpine A110 if you didn't mind it handling like something else.

I think that the Alpine will come officially down the road.

DD

Guys, I need a little help. What's the default setting for Steering Linearity? Is it 20, 30 or 40? I messed with it yesterday, but then I discovered that there's no option to return it to default settings. :p

I know that it's 50 on Steering Sensitivity, but I can't remember the original Linearity value. I'm asking this because I find the default settings ideal for me.

BTW, I discovered that the Peugeot 205 Pikes Peak becomes much more usable with a Xbox pad when you set the Sensitivity at 20 and Linearity at 70.

Sorry for the double post.

Guys, I need a little help. What's the default setting for Steering Linearity? Is it 20, 30 or 40? I messed with it yesterday, but then I discovered that there's no option to return it to default settings. :p

I know that it's 50 on Steering Sensitivity, but I can't remember the original Linearity value. I'm asking this because I find the default settings ideal for me.

BTW, I discovered that the Peugeot 205 Pikes Peak becomes much more usable with a Xbox pad when you set the Sensitivity at 20 and Linearity at 70.

Sorry for the double post.

I can help, I use an Xbox controller and I've never changed it manually, so my settings are assumedly the default. My Linearity is at 40.

paskowitz

I think I'm in the wrong race.

Model swap from GRID Autosport

Some road cars would be loads of fun. Kind like that episode of Top Gear. Bentley Speed 8 and Nissan GTR.

I would add:
Evo X
Current gen STi
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Ford F150 Raptor
That Lamborghini Gallardo rally car

Call it the "Hope your insurance is good car pack".

Top Bottom