• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

FukuDaruma

I didn't enjoy the the weird filter and CA, but how's that?

Still tweaking things like saturation and filmic pass, noise is a bit strong too. There's always different tastes, I know a lot of people hate motion blur and specially CA. I usually like it on the edges and already toned it down after these shots because it was a bit too strong.

DD

Little things that could make Dirt Rally better:

- Saving steering sensitivity and linearity adjustments individually for each car.
- An option to make these settings go back to defaults.
- An option to save replays.
- Using LB button to change cameras too, like the RB, but in the opposite sequence.

Still tweaking things like saturation and filmic pass, noise is a bit strong too. There's always different tastes, I know a lot of people hate motion blur and specially CA. I usually like it on the edges and already toned it down after these shots because it was a bit too strong.

I actually like CA, but It's a little too strong there (I like it very subtle) and I adore motion blur and DOF. But how does it work? Is it harsh on the game's performance, or does it run cool like an AA injector or SweetFX? Asking 'cuz my PC is not that great. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So uh... Wales guys. Ouch.

Also made it to the end of the league despite Codemasters screaming "RETIRE! RETIRE! WE SUGGEST YOU RETIRE!" at me. Little car that could says "no, fuck you. I'm finishing."

You know what would be awesome? Real time and weather changes in the middle of the rally/climbs. Would be interesting if "random weather hits" was possible/doable in addition to modded/user created tracks. Having overcast suddenly dump rain or the rain stop in the middle to where you deal with slick roads but clearer visibility would be cool.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You know what would be awesome? Real time and weather changes in the middle of the rally/climbs. Would be interesting if "random weather hits" was possible/doable in addition to modded/user created tracks. Having overcast suddenly dump rain or the rain stop in the middle to where you deal with slick roads but clearer visibility would be cool.

That's actually a really cool idea, unpredictable weather. I don't know if I've ever seen that in a racing game before. I kind of think Test Drive LeMans for the old Dreamcast had random weather in it. That was a really good racing game.

TheSeks

Gran Turismo 5 had time of day and weather, and IIRC they transitioned but it wasn't an actual "random" for the weather. At certain points on the track/laps you'd have rain come in.

DiRT Rally's weather is fine as is, but the static "oh the track is this weather + time of day" is kinda... I don't want to say stale but "stale."

Gran Turismo 5 had time of day and weather, and IIRC they transitioned but it wasn't an actual "random" for the weather. At certain points on the track/laps you'd have rain come in.

DiRT Rally's weather is fine as is, but the static "oh the track is this weather + time of day" is kinda... I don't want to say stale but "stale."

It's pretty much the same as GT in that regard though, since some tracks switch between tarmac, ice and snow.

But dynamic weather would be nice. At least until it switches from sub zero to rain and you get instant ice on the roads and everybody dies.

FukuDaruma

Little things that could make Dirt Rally better:

- Saving steering sensitivity and linearity adjustments individually for each car.
- An option to make these settings go back to defaults.
- An option to save replays.
- Using LB button to change cameras too, like the RB, but in the opposite sequence.

I actually like CA, but It's a little too strong there (I like it very subtle) and I adore motion blur and DOF. But how does it work? Is it harsh on the game's performance, or does it run cool like an AA injector or SweetFX? Asking 'cuz my PC is not that great. :p

I agree with your suggestions, they would come in very handy.

I'm using Reshade, it's similar to SweetFX but includes more effects (includes SweetFX 2.0 beta too). I'm interested only in playable presets, so the overhead is something like 3-5fps on my 290 at 1080@60 with max settings except Advanced Blend (which is a performance killer no matter what)

bindleford

Neo Member
When the last patch made custom events use the fully upgraded cars, it seems that doesn't carry over into league racing. Normally I use my upgraded career cars and they have felt the same on or offline, but for a change I wanted to try the Group B MG for a league event and the performance difference was huge. The car was heavy and clumsy and I was barely using 4th gear, whereas in custom event mode I regularly use 5th. Both using the same ratios. Ended up way off the pace on a clean run.

I don't know if that is a bug or feature. Quite annoying, though. Having to grind career in order to use full power cars in leagues.

Mengy

Here's a cool video history of rally video games that I found on youtube this morning while eating my breakfast. It only goes up to about 2013 but it's still neat to see the genre advance over the years. I actually own quite a lot of these too, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FROLONJoku8

I have to say though, I'd put DiRT Rally right up at the top of that list!

DD

People forgot about the league or lost interest? Only ten... =/

I agree with your suggestions, they would come in very handy.

I'm using Reshade, it's similar to SweetFX but includes more effects (includes SweetFX 2.0 beta too). I'm interested only in playable presets, so the overhead is something like 3-5fps on my 290 at 1080@60 with max settings except Advanced Blend (which is a performance killer no matter what)

Ah, your VGA is much much better than mine. I won't even try, but thanks for answering.

Mengy

I've been spending my rally time running championships and hill climbs to earn money to unlock cars. I did a few stages of the current league event but I haven't had the chance to finish it yet.

Actually, I wonder if us early access people will get to keep all the money / cars / progress we've earned, or if there will be a reset at launch?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

You can't do it now that the season is over, but if you check stage 1 you can see the number of people who at least got through the first stage. If I remember correctly, there were about 20, maybe more. As soon as someone has a bad accident, I'm guessing they just don't bother finishing.

edit: They should really do more with all these stats they're grabbing through the leagues. Seems a waste to just let that stuff disappear when they could be doing something interesting with it.

Lettuce

Here's a cool video history of rally video games that I found on youtube this morning while eating my breakfast. It only goes up to about 2013 but it's still neat to see the genre advance over the years. I actually own quite a lot of these too, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FROLONJoku8

I have to say though, I'd put DiRT Rally right up at the top of that list!

Played the shit out of V-Rally 2 on the Dreamcast and Colin McRae 2 on the PC at university with my mates....was some tense competition going on!!

He missed out TopGear Rally on the N64 and Rally Fusion on the PS2 that i used to play alot too

DD

I've been spending my rally time running championships and hill climbs to earn money to unlock cars. I did a few stages of the current league event but I haven't had the chance to finish it yet.
Hah, I did the opposite. :)

But I still spend some time on the career too.

They should really do more with all these stats they're grabbing through the leagues. Seems a waste to just let that stuff disappear when they could be doing something interesting with it.
Yep, true that.

I'm waiting for them to fix the FFB, but primarily my time is currently divided up between iRacing and The Witcher 3.
Damn, I still have to play The Witcher 1 and 2 (I'll probably skip the first one :p).

Just bought this for £18

Have they said when they will be adding another country?
They recently added Pikes Peak, and next month they'll add Germany.

Mengy

Damn, I still have to play The Witcher 1 and 2 (I'll probably skip the first one :p).

Me too, I own both Witcher 1 & 2 and I've not played one second of either one. Damn steam sales, lol, I'll play them eventually. Sim style games are so much more my forte anyway.

I recently came into the possession of a Group B car, and found that I had 9 hours to complete the monthly online event. Flew off the road into an unrecoverable zone on stage 22. Do I get anything for my troubles, other than an experienced crew?

DJ_Lae

I recently came into the possession of a Group B car, and found that I had 9 hours to complete the monthly online event. Flew off the road into an unrecoverable zone on stage 22. Do I get anything for my troubles, other than an experienced crew?

Don't think so, although this is the end of the first monthly event so we'll see. I wrecked my car off a cliff weeks back so I'm in the same situation.

Robaperas

Finally fixed my PC, had to get rid of a faulty ram stick, and bought a decent 2nd hand mobo. So I tried the Pikes Peak cars in the rain, and my 205 T16 happily mowed down spectators without compassion, it was horrible :/

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Code:
Rank	Name	Points
1	bindleford	50
2	PhilResch	36
3	Asdfgsfds	22
4	Tails	        19
5	DD Power	18
6	darkdeus	15
7	Micass0	        12
8	Robaperas	12
9	CheeseTom	8
10	scrcrw	        4

Time to race to the clouds! This week's season is an all Pikes Peak event.

In other news, exmachina64 will be on charge of the league for the rest of June since I'll be on vacation.

Shaneus

So there's no way I can get this any cheaper than the $35 on the Steam store, is there? I really want to buy it but it's hard to justify spending full price when I'm still getting solid game time from Driveclub :(

Seanspeed

Banned
How well has this sold? I've noticed it on the Top Sellers list on Steam a few times, so seems like it's done ok, but anybody got the specific figures?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I really want it too but I'm waiting for the FFB to be fixed to jump in... seems it's been a while already, any word out on when that'll be?

TheSeks

Ouch, today's daily: I can see why you guys think the Lancia Stratos (1970)'s drove like a boat. The 1960's Lancia is the one that drives poorly.

Started the weekly in a mini. Get to the last section and attempt to hairpin slide around the corner. Slide off the track. Retired. This damn game...
My mistake for going so fast on ice/snow.

Mengy

Whew, did my races for the GAF league event, I'm second overall as of now!!!

Or course, only scrcrw and myself have completed it so far, I'm sure I won't end up in second after others run it. I love Pikes Peak, I mean I absolutely love the DiRT Rally version of it so damn much. I'm making it my mission to get much better at this hill climb, setting myself the goal of really semi-quasi mastering it. Or at least getting better at it.....

DD

Whew, did my races for the GAF league event, I'm second overall as of now!!!

Or course, only scrcrw and myself have completed it so far, I'm sure I won't end up in second after others run it. I love Pikes Peak, I mean I absolutely love the DiRT Rally version of it so damn much. I'm making it my mission to get much better at this hill climb, setting myself the goal of really semi-quasi mastering it. Or at least getting better at it.....

Just did it too. Beat you both. ;D
won't last though ;(

Ryökäle

Neo Member
After a month of being on the fence I finally pulled the trigger and bought this on Steam. Is there any DFGT users here on GAF who could share their settings for the wheel?

Kelas

Ryökäle;166136019 said:
After a month of being on the fence I finally pulled the trigger and bought this on Steam. Is there any DFGT users here on GAF who could share their settings for the wheel?

I have mine currently set up like this:

VI9dByw.jpg

I can't remember how much that differs from the default. This should be a lot less sensitive than the default though.

Also, dunno if it's just a bug with my setup, but when I start the game, the very first event I start (in any car), the car pulls to the right. The physical wheel is centered, but behaves in game as though it's turned to 1 or 2 oclock. I have to stop the car, turn my wheel all the way left/right, then all the way in the other direction, then it's good to go until the next time I boot up the game. Also, every stage I start, it seems like I need to pause/unpause to actually get my steering settings to kick in, so I just do that during the countdown at the start of every stage to be safe.

Kelas

Uh, so I figured the hillclimb event took the best of your two runs. I guess now that's not how it works? Abandoned the second run of the full climb because I was already way behind, but apparently that meant I got something like an extra 20 minutes added on :D

Robaperas

Running the full course is really terrifying, the lack of pace notes makes me brake too much, too often.

Also, excellent times DD!

DD

That was a damn cool read. Job well done, very well done IMHO.

A shit-ton of work indeed. Hats off to these guys!

Uh, so I figured the hillclimb event took the best of your two runs. I guess now that's not how it works? Abandoned the second run of the full climb because I was already way behind, but apparently that meant I got something like an extra 20 minutes added on :D
Damn, I guess I was lucky then.

I felt that there was something wrong, because sometimes I could fix my car between my runs, and sometimes I couldn't. Weird...

Running the full course is really terrifying, the lack of pace notes makes me brake too much, too often.

Also, excellent times DD!
Thanks!

I was so frustrated with these cars that when I discovered that I could drive the 405, I drove the shit out of it on the career mode (currently at the Elite championship), so I kind of knew more or less what to do yesterday at the league. But I'm sure some guys here will smash my times soon. :p

Robaperas

Thanks!

I was so frustrated with these cars that when I discovered that I could drive the 405, I drove the shit out of it on the career mode (currently at the Elite championship), so I kind of knew more or less what to do yesterday at the league. But I'm sure some guys here will smash my times soon. :p

Wow, you really like the Hill Climbing! I don't own a PP car yet, it was my first time running the 3rd sector and the full course, I still feel like I'm fighting with the car even if I tweak the sensibility. Good to see that it's possible to get great times with a controller.

Shaneus

Question: Do all tracks have full day/night and weather cycles (excluding snow, obviously)? I love the idea of old-school Pikes Peak at night.

DD

Wow, you really like the Hill Climbing! I don't own a PP car yet, it was my first time running the 3rd sector and the full course, I still feel like I'm fighting with the car even if I tweak the sensibility. Good to see that it's possible to get great times with a controller.
I think it's just a matter of consistence. I mean, I didn't smash the times at any stage compared to others. It was just a few seconds ahead here and there. I didn't committed any huge mistake, and I wasn't running at the best lines and carrying much speed as possible. I just managed to stay on the track while trying to be fast, but not so much to fall off the cliffs or hitting a tree. That's why I believe some guys will beat my times 'til the end. =B

Question: Do all tracks have full day/night and weather cycles (excluding snow, obviously)? I love the idea of old-school Pikes Peak at night.

All tracks offer different conditions, but not all conditions as possible. Pikes Peak, for example, has afternoon and sunset, varying from clear skies to overcast (wet, but no rain) and full rain. But no night.

TheSeks

I tried messing with the controller stick options and I just can't...

I dunno what they did to the physics since either it's a placebo or they changed something but it seems even harder with controllers now than two weeks after launch.

Kelas

Damn, I guess I was lucky then.

I felt that there was something wrong, because sometimes I could fix my car between my runs, and sometimes I couldn't. Weird...

I think it was set up with repairs every other stage which maybe doesn't suit pikes peak...

Also, don't say it was luck, you drove really well 👍. I managed to put a good time in on the first stage, but couldn't get near you on the rest. I was still way off the pace with or without the penalty at the end.

Top Bottom