• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I usually uninstall a game after I've done with it. This ones staying for a long, long time.

Yeah, there are certain games or genres which I always have installed because I play them regularly. The latest Civilization game, Simcity 4 (which has now been uninstalled and forever replaced by Cities Skylines), Minecraft, every Blizzard game I own, etc. DiRT Rally will be one of those games that I always keep installed and play now and then when I get the itch.

AmyS

DiRT Rally Interview: Straight Outta PC, Onto Current Gen

Will there be new cars, tracks and more in the coming months? Are there any expansions or substantial DLC planned?

Paul Coleman: You’ll have to wait and see. Suffice to say we have some amazing ideas floating around the studio at the moment but whether they are right for DLC or whether they are more suitable to something bigger is what we need to decide over the coming months.

Can we expect updates on PC to arrive at the same rate as PS4 and Xbox One?

Paul Coleman: Absolutely, we will be maintaining parity as much as possible between all the platforms as soon as the console version is released. Obviously we can update a bit quicker on PC and we’ll only update platform specific stuff on the relevant platform but the aim is to support all things equally.

What are your thoughts on developing for the Xbox One and PS4? Did you encounter any major obstacles in bringing DiRT Rally to either console?

Paul Coleman: It’s been a challenge but that is because this is the first time we have developed a game for this generation of consoles in our studio. I don’t think there were any major obstacles but we did have to get used to some of the nuances that the PS4 and Xbox One have introduced.

How close will the console versions match with the PC versions? For that matter, in terms of graphical fidelity, what graphical options from PC (like AA, shadow quality, etc.) can we expect on the console versions?

Paul Coleman: We targeted our ‘High’ Graphical Quality preset and I think we have got pretty close to that. The key thing is that we wanted the game to run at 60fps to ensure that the game played as smoothly as possible and I am delighted to say that we have achieved that.

We already know that the game will run at 900p on the Xbox One. However are there any plans to bump the resolution up to a dynamic 1080p at launch?

Paul Coleman: Actually, I can confidently say that the game runs 1080p 60fps on Xbox One but we do have the dynamic system in place for the very rare circumstances that it needs it just to ensure that the frame rate remains at a consistent 60. It’s something we always wanted and although it has been a challenge I’m delighted that we have managed to achieve it.

Are you guys using the 7th core CPU on the Xbox One and PS4 that were unlocked in their recent SDK updates? If yes, how has this helped out development?

Paul Coleman: I wish I knew but the code guys don’t really tell me these things.

Full interview here: http://gamingbolt.com/dirt-rally-straight-outta-pc-onto-current-gen

April is 'DiRT 'n Dark Souls' month, can't wait!

Interesting on the possible DLC plans after saying before that they were not going to make any, maybe they are waiting for console sales numbers before jumping head first into anything.

I'd love to see a meaty track pack for a premium price, like a real expansion pack.

AmyS

Interesting on the possible DLC plans after saying before that they were not going to make any, maybe they are waiting for console sales numbers before jumping head first into anything.

I'd love to see a meaty track pack for a premium price, like a real expansion pack.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. The best rally game since forever, hoping console sales are good enough to warrant a meaty, premium-priced track pack.

scrcrw

JxCLiF3.jpg
FW1dNX8.jpg
I recently wiped my progress to see how quickly I could fill the garage back up. These were my stats when I completed the collection of fully upgraded rally cars (just 5 RX and 2 Hillclimb cars missing). Slighty increased rally rewards, no repair costs and cheap perks have made this a lot easier. According to the profile stats, it took almost exactly 24 hours of driving.

Robaperas

I recently wiped my progress to see how quickly I could fill the garage back up. These were my stats when I completed the collection of fully upgraded rally cars (just 5 RX and 2 Hillclimb cars missing). Slighty increased rally rewards, no repair costs and cheap perks have made this a lot easier. According to the profile stats, it took almost exactly 24 hours of driving.

I've wiped my progress about 3 times, but I've never bought every car because I'm not that good, also I got stung by the Rocket League bug
I'm almost 400 hours in :/

MaDKaT

Finally got my PC setup and this game is just blowing me away. Reminds me so much of the classic Colin McRae games. Loving every minute of it.

Just wish I could take any car to Pikes Peak

MaDKaT

Whaaat. That's lame. Dirt 1 let you do that. Hell you could even drive one of those weird trucks if you wanted to, if memory serves.

Yeah, seems like an odd limitation. There are mods for any car - any track for past games but I havent seen anything for this one.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It warms my heart to see so many Subarus in this game.

Me too. I own two myself in real life, an '06 Impreza and a '15 Crosstrek. I love Subarus, and I love racing with them in the game too.

Hip Hop

I would really, really like a trophy truck/baja expansion.

Watevaman

Yeah, seems like an odd limitation. There are mods for any car - any track for past games but I havent seen anything for this one.

Because the normal rally cars aren't built for it and the PP cars aren't built for the normal rally stages. There are ways to get around it, but it's not a single mod IIRC. You have to change whatever car you want to replace a PP car or something, so it's limited.

Nice console preview from team VVV. Console version looks great to me ( PS4 footage )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnlgYBNm6C0

I like Alan, he's got a great voice and knows his stuff. I also used to like that he's not one of the elitist sim-guys who divide sims and video games into 2 separate categories, but instead even loves a good arcade racing game...

BUT... but remember when he had trouble with Turn 10 and E3 capture? He didn't like Forza 6 one bit after that and showed very little of the game. I mention this, because with DiRT Rally it's the other way around, first he doesn't like the game, when it was in early access, because of feedback and sense of speed, then he gets invited by the Codies to an event and now the sense of speed is ok and the FFB feels like real life, even though both haven't changed a single bit since early access. I still want to like him, he seems like such a decent and nice guy, but he's picky in his coverage and game selection in a weird way. Well, at least he's gonna cover DiRT Rally now that he seems to enjoy it.

I've been playing Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo and have found it to be frustrating, annoying and not so fun. Very tedious and laborative.

This one has caught my eye, as a big DiRT fan, but I'm worried about how sim/hard it may be.

VVV Mars VG

BUT... but remember when he had trouble with Turn 10 and E3 capture? He didn't like Forza 6 one bit after that and showed very little of the game. I mention this, because with DiRT Rally it's the other way around, first he doesn't like the game, when it was in early access, because of feedback and sense of speed, then he gets invited by the Codies to an event and now the sense of speed is ok and the FFB feels like real life, even though both haven't changed a single bit since early access. I still want to like him, he seems like such a decent and nice guy, but he's picky in his coverage and game selection in a weird way. Well, at least he's gonna cover DiRT Rally now that he seems to enjoy it.

I stand by my initial comments on Dirt, when it was first released I didn't like the lack of feeling of speed, this making hairpins difficult to judge, and found the co-driver to be way off most of the time (I'm not alone in this). With every update things improved, now it has a far more intuitive feeling and converted well to the console. I've long been a supporter of 60fps conversions, so its good to see the dev team hit this.

That's my opinion irrespective of media access, but to explain, I cover previews, if we don't get access to previews, I have nothing to cover, so from a viewer perspective it looks like we're being picky. We aren't, we just work with what we've got and are granted access to.

On Forza we didn't get access at gamescom but it doesn't bare any reflection on our coverage, I really enjoyed the demo, I just found the final game to have horrible broken physics, again that's my observation, anyone is free to disagree.

danowat

Banned
Nice. Smooth...Fairly detailed throughout.
Yeah, looking good for the console versions, can't wait to see how it plays.

As for Forza, the physics are far from broken (I think that's a poor choice of words) they are just very inconsistent and lack a certain level of fidelity.

Thanks for responding yourself!

I stand by my initial comments on Dirt, when it was first released I didn't like the lack of feeling of speed, this making hairpins difficult to judge, and found the co-driver to be way off most of the time (I'm not alone in this). With every update things improved, now it has a far more intuitive feeling and converted well to the console. I've long been a supporter of 60fps conversions, so its good to see the dev team hit this.
I agree on the co-driver (though you have options now, if you want it earlier). But I still don't think the sense of speed has changed.

That's my opinion irrespective of media access, but to explain, I cover previews, if we don't get access to previews, I have nothing to cover, so from a viewer perspective it looks like we're being picky. We aren't, we just work with what we've got and are granted access to.
You also have a lot of videos where you just do some laps in a game, even if it was out for a while and didn't have new DLC. But it's true in terms of previews I always felt the coverage was distributed fairly.

On Forza we didn't get access at gamescom but it doesn't bare any reflection on our coverage, I really enjoyed the demo, I just found the final game to have horrible broken physics, again that's my observation, anyone is free to disagree.
They fixed the snap-oversteer in the december patch. You still lock the brakes way too easily, but the rest is fine in my opinion. Maybe you'll give Forza Motorsport: Apex another shot.

Any chance of video coverage on the upcoming Nordschleife in RaceRoom Racing Experience ?

Thanks

Getting hyped!

Does anybody know about the Legend Edition in the US? Does it come with the Colin McRae documentary that the EU version gets? Or is it just the two cars that are already maxed out?

GodofWine

FYI, there is a Ps4 league started overcat reddit in /r/dirtgame , if anyone starts one here I'll join that too.

Watching some videos today, I'm hyped for this. Also glad to see feedback on using a controller is actually not bad

As for Forza, the physics are far from broken (I think that's a poor choice of words) they are just very inconsistent and lack a certain level of fidelity.

I havent played Forza but inconsistent physics in a racing game means that they are broken. Not saying you cant enjoy a game like that but physics need to be consistent.

Anyway, back to dirt.

Im already anticipating what my first car will be. Is the Alpine hard to get along with as a first car? Being rear engine rear wheel drive, I imagine that it might be a little daunting to start with but I love the A110.

Onemic

I dont know much about Rally, but am interested in this because of VR support. Is Rally racing like drifting? Watching vids makes it look like some Initial D type stuff.

I dont know much about Rally, but am interested in this because of VR support. Is Rally racing like drifting? Watching vids makes it look like some Initial D type stuff.

Its generally point to point timed racing on dirt roadsusually (although there are stages with tarmac or are completely tarmac.

Drifting is about style, Rally is all about being the fastest. Drifting is just a side effect of speed.

Onemic

In a sense it's "kinda" like drifting because the car is mostly sideways around bends, but in first person it seem crazier though.

Mikko Hirvonen Onboard SS10 @ Neste Oil Rally Finland 2013

Its generally point to point timed racing on dirt roadsusually (although there are stages with tarmac or are completely tarmac.

Drifting is about style, Rally is all about being the fastest. Drifting is just a side effect of speed.

Ah, Im at work so I cant check out the vid till I get back. What makes Rally so good vs other racing games?

EDIT: WOW. Watched that vid and it was exhilerating as fuck. It honestly scared me at some points because half the time it felt like the car was gonna go speeding straight into a tree or a person. How close is Drift Rally to this? I'm planning on getting a Logitech G29 for racing games with VR. How good does that wheel add to the overall experience vs other wheels?

Robaperas

Ah, Im at work so I cant check out the vid till I get back. What makes Rally so good vs other racing games?

EDIT: WOW. Watched that vid and it was exhilerating as fuck. It honestly scared me at some points because half the time it felt like the car was gonna go speeding straight into a tree or a person. How close is Drift Rally to this? I'm planning on getting a Logitech G29 for racing games with VR. How good does that wheel add to the overall experience vs other wheels?

Finland certainly feels like that, you're mostly in 6th gear for long stretches of the stages. Sweden can be just as fast but instead of hugging a tree if you go off, the snow banks make you flip and fly away!, as for wheels I can't say, I'm on a DS4 :p

Before you buy the G29, I recommend reading up on gear-driven vs. belt-driven wheels. If you liked that other mocie about rallying, I also recommend this famous Peugeot-made short film from 1988 (the track and car are also in the game): http://youtu.be/-PZ5J3GLSYI

Edit: Another famous "ad" for the sport from Audi: http://youtu.be/wdy8CG09rSU
(But in the game there are no people on track jumping to their rescue in the last second. Gran Turismo 5 wanted that before PS3 launch, there is footage of the feauture, but it didn't make it into the game)

Onemic

Random question: I hear this game is the Dark Souls of Racing games. How true is this statement? (I like dark souls)

Before you buy the G29, I recommend reading up on gear-driven vs. belt-driven wheels. If you liked that other mocie about rallying, I also recommend this famous Peugeot-made short film from 1988 (the track and car are also in the game): http://youtu.be/-PZ5J3GLSYI

Seems like gear driven drives are for super high end enthusiast wheels that cost in the thousands of dollars. If you know of any gear driven force feedback wheels that are down to earth in price can you recommend some?

I read some reviews on the G29 gear shift attachment and it seems to be quite bad, so I think I'll just go with Thrustmaster instead and get the T-150 wheel, TH8A Gear shift attachment, and the T3PA pedal attachment. Still deciding on whether to get the pro version or not for the pedals. Do you know of a gear driven version of this combo that is(hopefully) around the same price?

That short film was excellent btw. Got me scared again with those fast turns haha. I thought there is always supposed to be a second dude telling the driver when to turn in rally?

That short film was excellent btw. Got me scared again with those fast turns haha. I thought there is always supposed to be a second dude telling the driver when to turn in rally?

Pikes Peak is a hillclimb event. Same basic principle as normally rally racing except they get practice runs and no co-driver.

Random question: I hear this game is the Dark Souls of Racing games. How true is this statement? (I like dark souls)

Seems like gear driven drives are for super high end enthusiast wheels that cost in the thousands of dollars. If you know of any gear driven force feedback wheels that are down to earth in price can you recommend some?

I read some reviews on the G29 gear shift attachment and it seems to be quite bad, so I think I'll just go with Thrustmaster instead and get the T-150 wheel, TH8A Gear shift attachment, and the T3PA. Still deciding on whether to get the pro version or not for the pedals. Do you know of a gear driven version of this combo that is(hopefully) around the same price?

The Logitech wheels are gear-driven, they have a bigger center deadzone that changes the forces-filter curves over the full rotational freedom and belt-driven wheels are a lot smoother. Only thing better are hydraulics, but that's thosandS of dollars. All Thrustmaster FFB wheels are belt driven, but only the TX, 300 and 500 have a good bit resolution. I'd recommend a T300 if you have the money, I'd recommend it even over the more expensive bigger T500. Fanatech wheels are even better, but I'm not sure they are better to the degree that justifies the higher price. For people who have the money of course they're great.

I added another short group b rallying ad-movie from 1985 to my other post above, check it if you liked the 1988 one, it's even scarier.

Edit: I did NOT say that Logitech wheels are shit or anything. Please, everyone, don't read that into my post.

Onemic

The Logitech wheels are gear-driven, they have a bigger center deadzone that changes the forces-filter curves over the full rotational freedom and belt-driven wheels are a lot smoother. Only thing better are hydraulics, but that's thosandS of dollars. All Thrustmaster FFB wheels are belt driven, but only the TX, 300 and 500 have a good bit resolution. I'd recommend a T300 if you have the money, I'd recommend it even over the more expensive bigger T500. Fanatech wheels are even better, but I'm not sure they are better to the degree that justifies the higher price. For people who have the money of course they're great.

I added another short group b rallying ad-movie from 1985 to my other post above, check it if you liked the 1988 one.

Edit: I did NOT say that Logitech wheels are shit or anything. Please, everyone, don't read that into my post.

hmmm, what does the T300 offer over the T150 to justify the $200(CDN) increase in price?

Robaperas

Mmm, the game is difficult but rewarding just like dark souls, but I'd argue that calling it that sounds a bit silly. I'd say it's demanding but not ruthless.

hmmm, what does the T300 offer over the T150 to justify the $200(CDN) increase in price?
On paper it's a better build quality and feel, higher bitrate, degrees of rotation... But from ehat I've heard the T150 is in the same ballpark as the G29 which is basically a G27 with a new paint that works with this-gen consoles. I played with a G27 it was much nicer than the first FFB wheel I tried 10 years earlier, but trying a Thrustmaster TX for the first time with the right game kinda blew my mind. The change in forces is so much smoother, the forces you fight in a corner or let go off to stay/go straight have a nmore natural, rubber-stretchy feel to them.

Maybe you should have a look in the GAF PC racing sims OT, they just had a discussion T150 vs. G29 there and there was a guy who had both and has a T300 now.

Btw. Grand Prix Legends (1998) is the Dark Souls of racing games. Its physics were miles ahead of its competitors and the game was insanely difficult. Now its physics are outdated, controls have moved on as well. I'm not a fan of Dark Souls but the comparison to DiRT is not bad, in many racing games the AI is easier to beat with better cars or upgrade parts, like leveling up in the average RPG. There are upgrades in DiRT Rally, but it really is about skill and risk vs. reward, like in DS... keep going or going back to the last bonfire? The enjoyment comes not from power-fantasies but from mastery of what systems are there

Anybody else having issues preordering from Best Buy? It says that I cant choose in store pickup and would have to order it to ship?

Anybody else having issues preordering from Best Buy? It says that I cant choose in store pickup and would have to order it to ship?
I get that all the time from Best Buy now whenever I try to preorder something about half a week before it's out. I didn't used to get that so something must have changed.

Onemic

Which cars in this game use sequential manual transmission and which ones use traditional transmission? For the ones that use sequential manual transmission how do you guys with a wheel and gear shift attachment shift gears? do you just use paddle shift or do you still stick with the traditional gear shift?

Top Bottom