• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

One of the things that shits me in Driveclub (that I'm sure they had covered in PGR4) is that during wet weather events, crowds don't carry umbrellas. Nor do they react to cars.

I don't remember if wet weather changed the crowds in pgr but if you crashed into a barrier near them they would stand back in shock, it made them feel alive.

Their heads also always looked at the player car so in replays they would all watch your car drive past, it's sadly missed in modern games.

Shaneus

I don't remember if wet weather changed the crowds in pgr but if you crashed into a barrier near them they would stand back in shock, it made them feel alive.

Their heads also always looked at the player car so in replays they would all watch your car drive past, it's sadly missed in modern games.
There was a rally game as well where crowds ran from the road too, but I can't remember what it was. But I almost think it was fairly recent?

Mobius 1

There was a rally game as well where crowds ran from the road too, but I can't remember what it was. But I almost think it was fairly recent?

GT4 had people standing in the road and scamping off, but only one a few courses. Grand Canyon certainly.

Shaneus

GT4 had people standing in the road and scamping off, but only one a few courses. Grand Canyon certainly.
Huh, I thought it was something else. Maybe it was that? Never put much time into GT4.

Could also have been the first modern Milestone rally game... WRC4?

V Rally 3? Maybe?

I know v-rally 2 had people on track that ran to the side when you approached but there was only a handful on premade tracks, custom tracks did not have spectators.

This is what annoys me a little bit, we have all this extra power compared to the ps1 generations and we still have terrible track side extras, pgr3 was over 11 years ago! and had hundreds of 3D spectators, bring them back!

I was looking at dirt rally on amazon and noticed that now the ps4 and xbox one versions come with a colin mcrae documentry blu-ray in the launch editions of the game as well as a bonus mini rally car voucher.

DD

How's your new GPU treating you? Is it an unfortunate sidegrade or an unwanted upgrade?

I got a GTX 950 that allows me to push the graphics a little higher and got me rid of that damn vegetation dithering and the huge framedips I had on Monte Carlo with my old 7850, although it's not enought to run with everything on max at 60 FPS. It's a cool little VGA. :)

And gosh, I missed this game so much... ;_;

Robaperas

I got a GTX 950 that allows me to push the graphics a little higher and got me rid of that damn vegetation dithering and the huge framedips I had on Monte Carlo with my old 7850, although it's not enought to run with everything on max at 60 FPS. It's a cool little VGA. :)

Great to read the good news although you bought Rocket League, I hope it doesn't keep you away from DR like it did with me...

DJ_Lae

I'm tempted to get a new card just to remove that goddamn dithering. No amount of patches or driver updates have fixed it. I've still put 70+ hours into the game, but it's a pretty gross graphical glitch.

Tempted to buy the console version too.

Robaperas

I'm tempted to get a new card just to remove that goddamn dithering. No amount of patches or driver updates have fixed it. I've still put 70+ hours into the game, but it's a pretty gross graphical glitch.

Tempted to buy the console version too.

It looks nasty but I have worse issues, sometimes the water goes transparent/see through or a huge black texture comes from the woods in Wales, and covers a big stretch of the road, making me lose time.

DJ_Lae

It looks nasty but I have worse issues, sometimes the water goes transparent/see through or a huge black texture comes from the woods in Wales, and covers a big stretch of the road, making me lose time.

I've had the transparency issue a few times too - at first I thought it was my card overheating or dying, but it's only in a few consistent spots and only in Dirt Rally.

You're right, at least the dithering isn't too distracting. At speed it's not too noticeable.

Nice to see another 950 owner, I have one too and it's a great little gpu.

DD

I had no problems with the water effects like you guys.

Great to read the good news although you bought Rocket League, I hope it doesn't keep you away from DR like it did with me...
My God, I always heard that this game was good, but holy shit, it's bloody amazing!
But I won't give up on Dirt Rally yet. :3

Nice to see another 950 owner, I have one too and it's a great little gpu.
Yeah, I'm quite happy with it. o/

Spinifex

I'm extremely late to the party on this as I redeemed this via an AMD giveaway, but holy hell, what a game. I have not had this much fun in a driving game in many years. Helps that Rally is my favorite discipline of racing, too.

The physics and controls are really just incredible. Absolutely amazing and criminal that this hasn't got more attention, hopefully the console launch will attract more people.

DD

I'm extremely late to the party on this as I redeemed this via an AMD giveaway, but holy hell, what a game. I have not had this much fun in a driving game in many years. Helps that Rally is my favorite discipline of racing, too.

The physics and controls are really just incredible. Absolutely amazing and criminal that this hasn't got more attention, hopefully the console launch will attract more people.

Welcome aboard, mate! ;)

jacobeid

Banned

Yeah, the game is absolutely fantastic. I hope that the game sells well on consoles because the developers sure deserve it.

Was there ever an "any car any track" mod for Dirt Rally?

Would love to use some of the rally cars on Pikes Peak or do some circuit racing with the rally cars.

Would love to use some of the rally cars on Pikes Peak or do some circuit racing with the rally cars.

wait does dirt rally still lock away stuff like that? did they not learn anything after dirt 2 and 3?

This kind of stuff pushes me away from wanting to pay full price for dirt rally, codemasters.

scrcrw

So far there's no full ACAT mod. You can trick cars onto other tracks by renaming a few folders (as explained in the description of this video). I got bored of it pretty quickly. Driving slower cars on Pike's Peak isn't all that interesting and Hillclimb or RX cars don't work that well on rally stages...

Watevaman

wait does dirt rally still lock away stuff like that? did they not learn anything after dirt 2 and 3?

This kind of stuff pushes me away from wanting to pay full price for dirt rally, codemasters.

Well don't let it, because unlike 2 and 3, the selection of cars per class is spot on. Its not like they're limiting trophy trucks out of courses where they make sense. The main rally aspect of the game has a ton of cars covering a ton of classes. The only thing that doesn't work very well is the small selection of hill climb cars, but those are very specific and theres only the one course.

So far there's no full ACAT mod. You can trick cars onto other tracks by renaming a few folders (as explained in the description of this video). I got bored of it pretty quickly. Driving slower cars on Pike's Peak isn't all that interesting and Hillclimb or RX cars don't work that well on rally stages...

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm mainly interested in running RX with some of the other cars. I wonder if it works with AI?

I'm assuming it doesn't work online then. A friend and I would love to go head to head with the E30 M3 or some of the Group B cars.

DD

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm mainly interested in running RX with some of the other cars. I wonder if it works with AI?

I'm assuming it doesn't work online then. A friend and I would love to go head to head with the E30 M3 or some of the Group B cars.

Well, soon there will be new categories for RX with slower cars.

scrcrw

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't think that's possible with this method. You can spawn other cars on the RX tracks, but there won't be any AI cars and it's only for one lap (at least I assume so, I never finished a race to avoid putting up bogus leaderboard times).
Surprisingly you do get (terrible) AI opponents when you put RX cars on rally stages or Pike's Peak. No idea if something like that would work in MP and I'd be worried about triggering cheat protection.

scrcrw

I hope everyone enjoyed the little endurance challenge I set for this week's league event. Originally I was considering 8 - 12 long stages without repair break. Still 20 hours or so left to make an entry!

Any suggestions/wishes for the next set of events?

Robaperas

I hope everyone enjoyed the little endurance challenge I set for this week's league event. Originally I was considering 8 - 12 long stages without repair break. Still 20 hours or so left to make an entry!

Any suggestions/wishes for the next set of events?

I didn't realized there was no service park after the first 2 stages, so my car ended up looking like weird modern art sculpture after rolling 3 times in Sweden.

Maybe an entire rally? 2 sprints followed by a long stage then a service park, multiplied by 3? even though another endurance wouldn't be that bad.

Hip Hop

The races with hair pin turns are killing me. I just can't come in first in any of them, only the race course without them. Every time I turn on one of them, I come to a full stop!

Robaperas

The races with hair pin turns are killing me. I just can't come in first in any of them, only the race course without them. Every time I turn on one of them, I come to a full stop!
Try to learn the Scandinavian flick on Fourkéta Kourva or Korify Dafni, it really helps on those stages.

Try this, just to get a taste if its helpful: Set brake balance to very rear heavy. That way you can lock up just your rear tyres, lose grip in the back while still being able to swing the car around with a fast front steering input. I know, inferior to handbrake+clutch+throttle blip, but easier and a lot of time it does the trick. For scandinavian flicks I find the spaces before hairpins mostly not wide or straight-long enough (it's great for Pikes Peak though), not saying it's not doable, but not effective for me at my driving skill level.

wouwie

The console release is getting close. I'm interested in buying this game digital since i feel that i'll be playing this quite a lot in between other games. Unfortunately, the price in my PSN store (70€) is on the very expensive side. I've seen the boxed version advertised for 15€ cheaper.

The console release is getting close. I'm interested in buying this game digital since i feel that i'll be playing this quite a lot in between other games. Unfortunately, the price in my PSN store (70€) is on the very expensive side. I've seen the boxed version advertised for 15€ cheaper.

Pretty much every game in the UK is like this too, unless it's microsoft published then it seems to be on par if not a tiny bit more then retail.

EA and Ubisoft love to stick their digital games up for sale at £55! when it's £39.99 in a shop.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a wheel that works particularly well for this game? I had annoyances with Logitech wheels in the past with the Logitech FFB settings seemingly fighting with the games FFB settings. Is that better now or is thrustmaster better?

Is there a wheel that works particularly well for this game? I had annoyances with Logitech wheels in the past with the Logitech FFB settings seemingly fighting with the games FFB settings. Is that better now or is thrustmaster better?

I played it with a Thrustmaster T500RS and a Thrustmaster TX. Felt good with both, probably better with the cheapter TX, because of the lower motor resistance if there are no forces on it. It's smooth and you can fast oscillate-balance the car by feel of the resistances on bumpy roads.

I would think that it plays better with belt-driven wheels. But then I never tried a rally game with a gear-driven Logitech.

Afro

This is one of those rare games that you just keep installed on your HDD/SSD and always come back to. Never gets old, even with the limited number of stages/locations. Game is just as exhilarating 100 hours in as it was the very first time I played back in Early Access. Will buy the shit out of DiRT Rally 2. Sound design still blowing me away after all this time. Still the best sounding racing game ever, easily.

I usually uninstall a game after I've done with it. This ones staying for a long, long time.

XB1/PS4 guys will have a blast.

Top Bottom