• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Which cars in this game use sequential manual transmission and which ones use traditional transmission? For the ones that use sequential manual transmission how do you guys with a wheel and gear shift attachment shift gears? do you just use paddle shift or do you still stick with the traditional gear shift?

Maybe not really what you were asking for, but in case you didn't know, you can convert a TH8A Shifter from H-pattern into a sequential shifter (and an analog handbrake as well, but never tried that myself with DiRT).

Oh, that would be even better. How do you do that?
You just swap the H-pattern plate for the sequential plate(4 screws) and turn all insides 90 degrees (can't be done wrong, Poka Yoke principle), this way the shifter knows its new mode, this works with any game that allows manual shifting, even if it doesn't have shifter support(so it works with Driveclub too).

Onemic

Played through my first race in DR. Man this game clearly was made for a wheel. My DS4 feels terrible with this game as precision is key. Analog sticks just cannot cut it. One of the biggest drawbacks with a controller in this game is lack of proper feel. Hard to explain but it just doesnt truly feel like im in control of a car, leading me to brake much less than I normally would if it was a RL situation. Not to mention I cant really do manual transmission well with a controller, so I had to use automatic. Even though I did absolutely terrible and got 11th place in the first stage(complete with 2 missing tyres, a punctured tyre, and a cracked windshield) it was a blast just being able to survive. Replay mode is also pretty damn good with really great automatic viewing angles. My T300 cant come soon enough. I cant even begin to imagine how immersive this game would be with the wheel setup + attachments + VR. I think I would actually be scared shitless.

One question I have though is how do I learn about pace notes and what they mean? So far I think the only thing I can gather from them is that the numbers indicate what gear you should be in during the turns.

Played through my first race in DR. Man this game clearly was made for a wheel. My DS4 feels terrible with this game as precision is key. Analog sticks just cannot cut it. One of the biggest drawbacks with a controller in this game is lack of proper feel. Hard to explain but it just doesnt truly feel like im in control of a car, leading me to brake much less than I normally would if it was a RL situation. Not to mention I cant really do manual transmission well with a controller, so I had to use automatic. Even though I did absolutely terrible and got 11th place in the first stage(complete with 2 missing tyres, a punctured tyre, and a cracked windshield) it was a blast just being able to survive. Replay mode is also pretty damn good with really great automatic viewing angles. My T300 cant come soon enough. I cant even begin to imagine how immersive this game would be with the wheel setup + attachments + VR. I think I would actually be scared shitless.

One question I have though is how do I learn about pace notes and what they mean? So far I think the only thing I can gather from them is that the numbers indicate what gear you should be in during the turns.

Guess what? Paul Coleman gotcha' back.

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/co-driver-calls-explained/

scrcrw

Played through my first race in DR. Man this game clearly was made for a wheel. My DS4 feels terrible with this game as precision is key. Analog sticks just cannot cut it. (...)
Try setting controller sensitivity to 100 and linearity to 10 or so. Those settings have made a huge difference for me, wired 360 controller though, not DS4. I can easily hold my own against the AI opponents and most people on the leaderboards (to be fair, I've also played over 450h). My poor wheel got crushed in a mishap while moving to a new place, I still need to replace it. :(

Onemic

Thanks!

Generally what type of turn do you apply the handbrake on?

Try setting controller sensitivity to 100 and linearity to 10 or so. Those settings have made a huge difference for me, wired 360 controller though, not DS4. I can easily hold my own against the AI opponents and most people on the leaderboards (to be fair, I've also played over 450h). My poor wheel got crushed in a mishap while moving to a new place, I still need to replace it. :(

I'll try this, thanks!

AmyS

Codemasters Blog:

Supported wheel list for consoles

The next bit is exactly what it says on the tin! Both lists are subject to slight tweaking, but we’re delighted to announce that this is the peripheral hardware we’ll be supporting on each platform for DiRT Rally:

Xbox One

– Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing
– Thrustmaster TX – 599XX EVO 30
– Thrustmaster TX – F1 rim
– Thrustmaster TX – Ferrari GTE rim
– Thrustmaster TX – PS rim
– Thrustmaster TX – TM Leather 28 GT
– Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
– Thrustmaster T3PA Pedals
– Thrustmaster T3PA Pro pedals
– Fanatec ClubSportWheel v2 with compatible Wheel Rim (Universal Hub for Xbox One / CSL P1 for Xbox One)
– Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V1
– Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V2
– Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3
– Fanatec CSR Pedals
– Fanatec CSR Elite Pedals
– Fanatec Clubsport Handbrake (V2/V3 pedals required)
– Fanatec ClubSport Shifter (SQ)
– Hori Racing Wheel
– MadCatz Pro Racing
– Logitech G920 Racing Wheel

PS4

– Thrustmaster T80
– Thrustmaster T100
– Thrustmaster T150
– Thrustmaster T300 – 599XX EVO 30
– Thrustmaster T300 – F1 rim
– Thrustmaster T300 – Ferrari GTE rim
– Thrustmaster T300 – PS rim
– Thrustmaster T300 – TM Leather 28 GT
– Thrustmaster T500 – 599XX EVO 30
– Thrustmaster T500 – F1 rim
– Thrustmaster T500 – Ferrari GTE rim
– Thrustmaster T500 – PS rim
– Thrustmaster T500 – TM Leather 28 GT
– Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
– Thrustmaster T3PA Pedals
– Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals
– Fanatec ClubSportWheel V1
– Fanatec ClubSportWheel V2
– Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V1
– Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V2
– Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3
– Fanatec CSR Pedals
– Fanatec CSR Elite Pedals
– Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
– Fanatec Clubsport Handbrake (V2/V3 pedals required)
– Fanatec ClubSport Shifter (SQ)
– Fanatec GT2 Wheel
– Fanatec GT3 V2 Wheel
– Fanatec Porsche Wheel Turbo S
– Hori Racing Wheel
– Logitech G29 Racing Wheel

I'll be playing on PS4. I'm thinking about a racing wheel / pedals combo, but need help picking a decent combination and I know next to nothing about which ones are good.

For those of you on PS4 with a setup, I need some recommendations, thanks in advance!

scrcrw

Oh. : (. Thanks.
It's just the current "season" ending tomorrow. I'll set up more events once the patch with the new cars is out. If someone else wants to take a shot at setting the schedule, I'd also be happy to hand over the reins. The interface is a bit clunky, but it's not much work.

GKB

I did a quick run in Finland at night.

20160401224054_1bpq7w.jpg

Hit a tree and broke the headlamps, this is all i can see outside of the window. Still managed to finish fifth though.

NuKERxyz

I have the game on PC but playing it with a controller is not really good, this was made for Wheels. In this console version how does the game play's with a controller? Ive read somewhere they had more tweaks for controller's on console version.

Robaperas

All of them do AFAIK

Great! Thanks for the info.

I have the game on PC but playing it with a controller is not really good, this was made for Wheels. In this console version how does the game play's with a controller? Ive read somewhere they had more tweaks for controller's on console version.

I'm 140 hours in and I'd love to play it with a wheel, but I'm too broke to buy even a crappy one. A few patches ago they added a bunch of new options for the gamepad, at first it was just sensibility and linearity. Maybe they'll add even more on the next patch for PC.

So as I await my PS4 copy, I have some questions.

Can you upgrade parts on your car? Is it very noticeable while playing? Also can you see any of the upgrades on the car? (i.e. upgraded exhaust, better wheels?)

So as I await my PS4 copy, I have some questions.

Can you upgrade parts on your car? Is it very noticeable while playing? Also can you see any of the upgrades on the car? (i.e. upgraded exhaust, better wheels?)
I'm not sure if this is still the case but you unlock prrformance upgrades on a per car basis in career mode. 3 per car and they are different for each car(weight reduction, power, advanced car setup etc.), all not visible. I think this is supposed to give you the feel that rally drivers must have had in the 80s where each year their car got more insane.

Thanks online game shop for delivering my DIRT Rally PS4 early. This game is clearly quite special.

I finished second in my first Rally. I was expecting worse.

I'll be playing on PS4. I'm thinking about a racing wheel / pedals combo, but need help picking a decent combination and I know next to nothing about which ones are good.

For those of you on PS4 with a setup, I need some recommendations, thanks in advance!

I have been shopping for a wheel for the last couple of weeks and decided on the Thrustmaster T150. For me it seems to be the best compromise between price and performance, and it is expandable as well if you want to upgrade the pedals or add a manual shifter later. Also it works on PS3, PS4, and PC.

Amazon just put it up yesterday for $149.99 which is the cheapest they have sold it all year (right after I paid $199.99 on eBay to avoid tax, sigh). Anyways it has a good reputation and I would definitely jump on it at this price. Even being open to buying used I have not been able to find it this cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014US02ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

bj00rn_

Banned

For some reason I found that the only fun way to play it with a controller was to turn off all assists and drive with the slowest cars.. Nothing made sense to me with the assists on, and with faster cars it's impossible to have fun (for me) with a controller either way.

This rally sim is definitely made for wheels (although there's room for fun with controllers too..).

I have a G27 wheel, but I find no incentive to use it until Dirt Rally gets its HTC Vive support :D

Onemic

For some reason I found that the only fun way to play it with a controller was to turn off all assists and drive with the slowest cars.. Nothing made sense to me with the assists on, and with faster cars it's impossible to have fun (for me) with a controller either way.

This rally sim is definitely made for wheels (although there's room for fun with controllers too..).

I have a G27 wheel, but I find no incentive to use it until Dirt Rally gets its HTC Vive support :D

Wait, there's no support for the Vive? Is there planned support coming relatively soon at least?

Are you playing the console version? Ive seen a few hands on with the console and they specifically mention that it feels pretty good with the controller BUT, Ive only seen footage showing the low tier cars

DD

Are you playing the console version? Ive seen a few hands on with the console and they specifically mention that it feels pretty good with the controller BUT, Ive only seen footage showing the low tier cars
I play it on the PC with a x360 pad. I own all the cars an I can play just fine, no issues at all. Well, maybe with the Lancia 037, but I simply avoid it.

How long is this game anyways?

Sebastien Loeb looks to be about 40 hours, and though I want to beat it because I hate unbeaten games on my list, it's just not fun.

Watevaman

Sebastien Loeb looks to be about 40 hours, and though I want to beat it because I hate unbeaten games on my list, it's just not fun.

What do you mean how long? You play it until you don't want to play anymore. It's a racing game.

Sarcasm

At least 450 hours since that what my friend has before he started playing something else. Pretty sure he will go back.

If price is a concern. The T150 is a fantastic, full force-feedback wheel based on the T300, with some concessions made to get it to a $200USD/$250CDN price point.

It's basically this gens driving force GT.

Inside Sim Racing likes it too.

https://youtu.be/crDCD4pTscU

Watevaman

Racing games have campaigns, though. Or careers if you prefer that term.

What I mean is how long until I can say I've beaten it?

Wow

I guess I don't agree that there's a point where you can say you've beaten it. Theres a career mode but you can actually get pushed down a level if you can't compete in the higher one so you have to take that into consideration. How long this game will last in that mode depends on how good you are.

I guess I don't agree that there's a point where you can say you've beaten it. Theres a career mode but you can actually get pushed down a level if you can't compete in the higher one so you have to take that into consideration. How long this game will last in that mode depends on how good you are.

What do you mean?

Top Bottom