• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Actually most rally drivers never use the handbrake except on asphalt hairpins or if bad elevation or bad camber is present in a hairpin. If a turn allows for it in any way, a non-drift racing line is the fastest, if it doesn't allow for it because it's either too tight for how fast the steering wheel can be turned or bcause of surface conditions that are provoking understeer, there are better and more predictable ways to upset the rear and get it at the right angle.
What I really want to say is, don't get hung up on mastering the handbraking thing, try to find easy ways to upset the rear.

AmyS

I have been shopping for a wheel for the last couple of weeks and decided on the Thrustmaster T150. For me it seems to be the best compromise between price and performance, and it is expandable as well if you want to upgrade the pedals or add a manual shifter later. Also it works on PS3, PS4, and PC.

Amazon just put it up yesterday for $149.99 which is the cheapest they have sold it all year (right after I paid $199.99 on eBay to avoid tax, sigh). Anyways it has a good reputation and I would definitely jump on it at this price. Even being open to buying used I have not been able to find it this cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014US02ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If price is a concern. The T150 is a fantastic, full force-feedback wheel based on the T300, with some concessions made to get it to a $200USD/$250CDN price point.

It's basically this gens driving force GT.

Inside Sim Racing likes it too.

https://youtu.be/crDCD4pTscU

Thank you both! The T150 sounds like a great option, especially with being able to expand with pedals and manual shifter

nikos

Reading mixed impressions on controller performance is leaving me a bit worried. I don't want another Project CARS situation where I'm having to fine tune controls for hours just to get them right.

I have been looking forward to this game though, so I'll probably pick it up regardless. I really need to get another wheel, but the right setup costs more than I can spend at the moment.

Onemic

Those suggested controller settings worked for me. It's still obvious this game is best played with a wheel because of how precise you have to be, but a controller seems doable....at least for the 60's level cars. I'm getting around 3rd-4th in career now at least.

Jimrpg

How long is this game anyways?

Sebastien Loeb looks to be about 40 hours, and though I want to beat it because I hate unbeaten games on my list, it's just not fun.

I played 10 hours and haven't even scratched the surface of this game yet. I've done the two lower classes (difficulties) in career. There's at least 50 hours of content here just playing through each difficulty and various modes, and probably 100hrs if you want to git gud.

My PS4 preorder is finally pre-loading. Yea!

I am... surprisingly stoked for this. Got to the dirt series late and adore it - and this was the exact direction I wanted them to take it.

Reading mixed impressions on controller performance is leaving me a bit worried. I don't want another Project CARS situation where I'm having to fine tune controls for hours just to get them right.

I have been looking forward to this game though, so I'll probably pick it up regardless. I really need to get another wheel, but the right setup costs more than I can spend at the moment.

Hmm that's concerning - any PCers using a controller that can refute this? I'm not a wheel guy.

oipic

Any ETA on when the new content is coming to PC? Haven't played in a while.

New content for PC still on track to be released in conjunction with the console versions on Tuesday (I haven't seen confirmation of a time, however - sorry). Codies also have "a little something special to introduce" on Tuesday as well, it seems. Teasers.

I'm officially excited. Renault Alpine A110 - lovely.

I played 10 hours and haven't even scratched the surface of this game yet. I've done the two lower classes (difficulties) in career. There's at least 50 hours of content here just playing through each difficulty and various modes, and probably 100hrs if you want to git gud.

That's great

I'll only want to play through it on one difficulty. I don't have time for full mastery. Nor will I be good enough.

bj00rn_

Banned
Wait, there's no support for the Vive? Is there planned support coming relatively soon at least?

Linus Närkling ‏@VapidLinus
@Kick_Up Any words on supporting the HTC Vive for VR support in Dirt Rally? :)

Paul Coleman ‏@Kick_Up
@VapidLinus none yet. We are looking at VR in more depth now though.

[–]alo81
Will/does DiRT Rally support the Vive for VR?

[–]ChristinaMcCMDiRT Dev Team
We've not got any news on this, but we're certainly exploring VR options. As soon as there's any news I can share with you guys, I'll keep you all updated.

Sounds like things might happen eventually..

scrcrw

I'll set up a new event for the NeoGAF League as soon as the PC patch drops. Join Now!

Hmm that's concerning - any PCers using a controller that can refute this? I'm not a wheel guy.
Playing with a controller is absolutely possible. I can win Masters championships in any class and place highly in online events with my humble 360 controller. There's obviously a learning curve (maybe more than with a wheel?) and ymmv.
My settings are 100 sensitivity and 10 linearity. I'd also recommend driving with no assists (some anti-lock brakes at most).

oipic

Playing with a controller is absolutely possible. I can win Masters championships in any class and place highly in online events with my humble 360 controller. There's obviously a learning curve (maybe more than with a wheel?) and ymmv.
My settings are 100 sensitivity and 10 linearity. I'd also recommend driving with no assists (some anti-lock brakes at most).

Yep, can personally attest to just how quick scrcrw is - consistently sets completely unattainable target times for me! Join the league, folks, and see it first hand. :)

I too play with a 360 controller, and while my times are at best middling, and often rubbish, I attribute that squarely to my lack of talent and skill, rather than any ceiling or handicap imposed due to playing with a controller.

It's testimony to how well they've honed controller support that someone like me has all assists disabled, and yet can still feel 'in control' - no mean feat, as this isn't a forgiving game by any means.

JP

Are there any customisation options for the camera that that you use or is it just a simple flicking between different presets? It's one of my favourite things in Project CARS.

I'm really hoping that they add Australia to it at some point, it's a strange one to be missing.

DD

I have both games, and yes, Project Cars is awful in that regard (and on many other stuff too Θ_Θ). Dirt Rally, on the other hand, is perfectly playable out of the box. See, most of the cars in Dirt Rally are vary easy to drive. The dificulty comes from the terrains you drive on, and on trying to be fast.

danowat

Banned
Saw the ISRTV "review" yesterday and both guys had the impression that the e-brake in the console version was better suited for button-press (not analog) input. If I had to guess though, they just remembered that from very early PC build and it might have changed on the PC too.
Thanks, I expect them to be the same, but you can never be certain about these things.

Robaperas

It's not too fiddly, at first I had different settings for every car, until I realized that I just had to adapt my driving style to the car using the same settings. I'm not the best or the fastest at the game, but it's really enjoyable.

Sini

I have 113 hours with controller and I agree with that guy, Sticks for steering just aren't that great, often you either turn too much or too little, making straightening out annoying sometimes.
But that doesn't deter my enjoyment at all

Hedrush

VVV have done a good interview with Chief Games designer Paul Coleman. Amongst other things he talks about VR, building the game for consoles, the struggle to get to 1080p on Xbox One. Some great footage also. Oh and it plays great with a controller according to Alan.

http://youtu.be/uySeP-ziJfk

danowat

Banned
i need to watch the interview but I thought it would drop to 900p when required but how often it did has been rather low compared to months ago.
Yeah, could do with knowing just how often it does it, and how noticeable it is, not sure I can tell the difference but depends if the changeover is jarring or affects the framerate, the XBO pad is in another league for me.

I'll set up a new event for the NeoGAF League as soon as the PC patch drops. Join Now!

It's not too fiddly, at first I had different settings for every car, until I realized that I just had to adapt my driving style to the car using the same settings. I'm not the best or the fastest at the game, but it's really enjoyable.

I have 113 hours with controller and I agree with that guy, Sticks for steering just aren't that great, often you either turn too much or too little, making straightening out annoying sometimes.
But that doesn't deter my enjoyment at all

Ok thanks for the replies - sounds like it's just a tough game all around, controller or no. I have to say my experience with project cars was pretty frustrating due to the controller issues, but it doesn't sound like that's as much the case here.

Klocker

Man really want to buy this but I don't have time for restarting run after run due to frustrating controls and no adjustment to difficulty or rewinds

jacobeid

Banned
New content for PC still on track to be released in conjunction with the console versions on Tuesday (I haven't seen confirmation of a time, however - sorry). Codies also have "a little something special to introduce" on Tuesday as well, it seems. Teasers.

I'm officially excited. Renault Alpine A110 - lovely.

Whoooooa I didn't know that there was new content coming. This pleases me greatly.

Onemic

Ok thanks for the replies - sounds like it's just a tough game all around, controller or no. I have to say my experience with project cars was pretty frustrating due to the controller issues, but it doesn't sound like that's as much the case here.

Ya, I just booted up Project Cars for the first time today....Dirt Rally is a dream on controllers compared to this.

Robaperas

Man really want to buy this but I don't have time for restarting run after run due to frustrating controls and no adjustment to difficulty or rewinds

Most sprint stages are 3 to 4 minutes long and you can reset your car with a small time penalty; the game is hard but you start with the 60's cars, which are great for learning as they are slow and easy to handle.

AmyS

VVV have done a good interview with Chief Games designer Paul Coleman. Amongst other things he talks about VR, building the game for consoles, the struggle to get to 1080p on Xbox One. Some great footage also. Oh and it plays great with a controller according to Alan.

http://youtu.be/uySeP-ziJfk

This was nice, thanks for posting it.

I think I'm gonna try to go for the Thrustmaster T300, maybe before the summer starts if I can get the funds, and later I might add on the TH8A gearbox / manual shifter.

Klocker

Most sprint stages are 3 to 4 minutes long and you can reset your car with a small time penalty; the game is hard but you start with the 60's cars, which are great for learning as they are slow and easy to handle.

Cool thanks for the feedback

lem0n

I messed with the settings on PC version, I use an XB1 Elite pad. I really like how it handles now. Settings are not very different but make a difference, IMO. Try them out and let me know what you think!

Steering Sensitivity: 35
Steering Linearity: 50
Steering Deadzone: 20
Steering Saturation: 100
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle Saturation: 100
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake Saturation: 100
Clutch Deadzone: 20

So, this may have been a bad pick-up idea for me. It's more challenging and less accessible than I was hoping -- at least from an early look.

Is there really no rewind feature? No difficulty options?

The way the career is set up is quite obtuse also.

GHG

So, this may have been a bad pick-up idea for me. It's more challenging and less accessible than I was hoping -- at least from an early look.

Is there really no rewind feature? No difficulty options?

The way the career is set up is quite obtuse also.

It's a great rally sim game. If that's not what you're looking for then look elsewhere.

It's a great rally sim game. If that's not what you're looking for then look elsewhere.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm just saying it may not be for me.

I want to make it so that I'll enjoy it and want to play it, though. Hence the post with the questions and all that.

danowat

Banned
So my amazon order won't be here to Thursday, the only reason I got it from Amazon was because I had a £20 voucher.

I can wait till Thursday can't I?, I don't need to cancel my amazon order and get it digitally and pay more, do I?............

GHG

I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm just saying it may not be for me.

I want to make it so that I'll enjoy it and want to play it, though. Hence the post with the questions and all that.

You'll just need to learn the hard way then :)

Top Bottom