• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Just started playing tonight and already had a truly ass-clenching moment.

3oGRFJiyCqs5URlVhm.gif

This game is fantastic.

BAHAHAHAHAHAH thats amazing!

tumblr_nmjh42a27c1skhdx8o1_500.gif

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Just got a patch notification on steam. 17.3GB

Holy hell, 17.3 GB? That will take me hours to download when I finally get home!

I think I'll download it while I sleep tonight and race tomorrow.....

What do the newer players think of the sound in the game so far?

One of the main discussions I had around the PC release was how this is far and away the best sound design I've ever seen. All of the squeaks and rattles and vibrations in a car interior are amazing, while the engine sounds themselves are raw and completely accurate.

I've noticed today that the Alpine in interior view has a distinct sound up until around 5300RPM, you can really hear and almost feel how much the engine is shaking the cockpit at those lower RPMs lol.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Totally forgot this was out on console now. Any impressions on the xbox one version?

and that .gif, I've been rallying wrong all this time.

It really is amazing what Codies was able to do on console. Both the PS4 and XB1 versions look phenominal. (I don't have the XB1 version, but I've seen quite a bit of footage.) This is fairly impressive stuff.

bathsalts

Tuesdays be like... ;)

I don't think that Mini is the perfect starting car (to learn how to drive in the game). The amount of understeer in that car... omg. I had to drastically change the recommended setup to make it better. Also it's so slow you're not learning much. ;)

QFT, my first car was the Mini then I bought the Lancia Stratos... good fucking lord. From swimming in the shallow end to the Mariana trench.

GodofWine

Can I join even though I won't be able to play until the 19th pretty much?

Yea, the league (I assume) will simply add events / seasons or whatever over time. I don't know how it works, but I assume that is Danwot's intention.

Edit - i dont think leagues dissolve when the events are all done, they remain intact until events are added.

danowat

Banned
Yea, the league (I assume) will simply add events / seasons or whatever over time. I don't know how it works, but I assume that is Danwot's intention.

Edit - i dont think leagues dissolve when the events are all done, they remain intact until events are added.

There is a time window (I set it for a week), but not sure what happens when it expires, I just assumed that after it did I could add another event or events

I was thinking of going through the car ranks (so 60's, then 70's, etc etc) each week, and maybe adding another event or more stages as the weeks go on, but it's open to discussion, whatever people want really.

Should I be concerned that there are no times on the leaderboard yet?, have I set something incorrectly, or is it just that no one has run the event yet?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Very surprised myself at the quality of the visuals on display(PS4).

Been waiting on a steam sale for the PC version, but given my wheel setup is more comfortable in my living room, I bought on PS4 despite wanting the full visual splendor on PC, yet I can't imagine this thing is that downgraded for console by much. Framerate is utterly astonishing given the visuals it is rendering, and the only real gripe is the loadtimes for each track(which I assume are snappier on PC).

I also feel the feedback on my T300 is a bit tinny, at least compared to pCars on PS4. Expected more push/pull and fight from the course while using the wheel, but it could be the starter Mini going at such a slow pace(also me not being brave enough) that is the issue there. Hopefully. Just want more force applied as it just isn't what I expected from this harsh gravel terrain.

If someone wanted to make a console OT, that's fine by me. As I said, I'll try and get this OT updated sometime tonight and if not, this week, so as to include the new stuff added in the console release. I'll also PM a mod to see if they can change the title for me to include console release.

Yeah, I think just a title change works, splitting into a new thread will just make a tiny console thread that dies off.

GodofWine

There is a time window (I set it for a week), but not sure what happens when it expires, I just assumed that after it did I could add another event or events

I was thinking of going through the car ranks (so 60's, then 70's, etc etc) each week, and maybe adding another event or more stages as the weeks go on, but it's open to discussion, whatever people want really.

Should I be concerned that there are no times on the leaderboard yet?, have I set something incorrectly, or is it just that no one has run the event yet?

Im in the reddit PS4 league too, and its blank still, 45 players on that one, so maybe its not updating yet, or no one has made a run yet??? (no clue).

Im pretty sure the league will remain in place after the one event expires, then you can add either a new 'season' or single events, whatever you feel like works for us.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
One of the main discussions I had around the PC release was how this is far and away the best sound design I've ever seen. All of the squeaks and rattles and vibrations in a car interior are amazing, while the engine sounds themselves are raw and completely accurate.

Yes DR has incredible sound design, you can tell they put a lot of time and effort into it and man does it pay off, but the best sound design I've ever seen in a game belongs to Elite Dangerous. The sound in Elite is simply put the best sound design I've ever seen (heard?) in a game.

Not a huge racing fan but enjoyed dirt 1 back in the day.

Loved playing around with photo mode in driveclub and taking pics. Does this have a photo mode or atleast a replay cam you can pause and move around to get screenshots with?

It's errrr, different to what i'm used to sure that's for sure!

So glad i got the T150 for it, bty is the default Thrustmaster setting ok to use or does it need tweaking for the 150?

....and joined the league. ^^

Watevaman

Not a huge racing fan but enjoyed dirt 1 back in the day.

Loved playing around with photo mode in driveclub and taking pics. Does this have a photo mode or atleast a replay cam you can pause and move around to get screenshots with?

It doesn't have a photo mode, but you can pause in the replay mode and if the cameras are the external driving cameras, you can move them around the car but the control and placement is the exact same as if you were ingame. So, the photos will have to come from either the default replay cameras or they will just look like the gameplay cameras.

AmyS

Codemasters: Thank you very much for bringing DiRT Rally to consoles.
When you guys announced and released it for early access on Steam / PC a year ago, back then, I could only hope it might be made for PS4 -- And 60 FPS seemed like only a possibility, a dream even.

So thank you for making the this happen, and knowing what really matters in a simulation.

I cannot wait to try this!

8jdMe4M.jpg

Just started playing tonight and already had a truly ass-clenching moment.

3oGRFJiyCqs5URlVhm.gif

This game is fantastic.

DAMN!

db731819973fecb29d0ef495ae4b44ef.gif

I can't wait to play this game. Best Buy is not showing this as available for in store pick up yet in my area so hopefully the website has just yet to update. Thrustmaster T150 will be delivered tomorrow, and a Wheel Stand Pro on Friday. HYPED!

Got two hours into this last night and that was enough time to see that this game has the chops. Its exactly what I was hoping for.

The courses are long and involved, the environments are immense, conditions can vary, and performance has been rock solid, though I haven't tried rallycross or snow stages. Also controls like a dream with the dualshock. No complaints there.

The career seems too technical at the moment for a layman like myself but I've got no problem sticking to custom events until I gain some confidence with the driving model and some of the techniques I'll need to use to garner some winning times. The tutorial videos are more of a summary than a teaching tool, but man, those could market the game alone.

This puppy is going to get some quality time, I'm sure.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's errrr, different to what i'm used to sure that's for sure!

So glad i got the T150 for it, bty is the default Thrustmaster setting ok to use or does it need tweaking for the 150?

....and joined the league. ^^

Want tips for Thrustmaster users myself. I did find I manually set the wheel(t300rs) to 720 degrees(3 red lights using the mode button) which made cornering FAR easier and I may even drop to 540 for a bit more sensitivity. The default 1080(5 lights) is just too crazy difficult to spin that wheel so much around turns.

I noticed there is also a setting in options to implement a soft-lock which I believe sets the wheel rotation to that of the vehicle being driven(instead of a hard setting for all cars by user). Kind of curious to use that, but again I prefer more subtle movements than large rotations, so I drop down the wheel manually anyway.

In terms of other options, I have stuck to default as I am just afraid of messing stuff up. Still this game has easily the best pedal saturation I have felt in a racing game yet on my t300. You really feel the slight nudges on the pedals, whereas in many other racing games the throw is a too loose with not much activity between 0 and fully depressed. Kudos to Codemasters, even my supposedly scummy default pedals actually feel great on this.

Bobnob

Where are the leaderboards ??? i know you can see them afterr a event but can i just go to them and race ???

Watevaman

Want tips for Thrustmaster users myself. I did find I manually set the wheel(t300rs) to 720 degrees(3 red lights using the mode button) which made cornering FAR easier and I may even drop to 540 for a bit more sensitivity. The default 1080(5 lights) is just too crazy difficult to spin that wheel so much around turns.

I noticed there is also a setting in options to implement a soft-lock which I believe sets the wheel rotation to that of the vehicle being driven(instead of a hard setting for all cars by user). Kind of curious to use that, but again I prefer more subtle movements than large rotations, so I drop down the wheel manually anyway.

In terms of other options, I have stuck to default as I am just afraid of messing stuff up. Still this game has easily the best pedal saturation I have felt in a racing game yet on my t300. You really feel the slight nudges on the pedals, whereas in many other racing games the throw is a too loose with not much activity between 0 and fully depressed. Kudos to Codemasters, even my supposedly scummy default pedals actually feel great on this.

I would just set the wheel to 1080 and use the soft lock. I think it's only the older cars that use the full rotations and the newer cars have a crazy small (I think like 240 degrees) steering wheel angle.

Daigoro

Where are the leaderboards ??? i know you can see them afterr a event but can i just go to them and race ???
good question. I was just looking for them myself.

also, are we supposed to be able to upload our runs to YouTube like in D3? it mentioned uploading to me in the loading scroll, but I see no option anywhere for it...

anyways. game is fucking aaawwwwwwwesomeeee. I'm really pleased right now.

Certinty

Anyone have any recommended settings for the Logitech G29 on PS4?

Between this and Project CARS I don't really feel I need any other sim racing games this gen.

I love how much I'm sucking at this game right now but when I improve massively it's going to feel so damn satisfying.

Hedrush

Anyone have any recommended settings for the Logitech G29 on PS4?

Between this and Project CARS I don't really feel I need any other sim racing games this gen.

I love how much I'm sucking at this game right now but when I improve massively it's going to feel so damn satisfying.

All i know about G29 settings is from the codies website.

When using the Logitech G29, we recommend reducing the Brake Saturation until you can achieve 100% of the input in the Advanced Wheel Settings screen

Won't get to set mine up until tonight but really looking forward playing this with the wheel.

Sini

LMAO. What did you do? Hit a rock and the game's physics spazzed out? I thought they fixed that.
That's normal and happens all the time (I don't mean landing perfectly). Hopefully Codies will figure out how to make collisions better in their next big engine revision.

Top Bottom