• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just started playing tonight and already had a truly ass-clenching moment.

3oGRFJiyCqs5URlVhm.gif

This game is fantastic.

If you can't be good, you can at least be stylish!

16850467673_fcd1ef862e_o.gif

How is the IQ on ps4? Typical of what we've seen with Project Cars, Driveclub, etc? Exceptionally clean?

It's quite clean and 1080/60 is great, but sometimes a mixed bag. Greece looks great, while some tracks ( Germany for example ) look quite bland. Depends on time of day off course. The rain and snow cannot compare to Driveclub and PCars, but the gameplay is really fantastic. Would highly recommend this.

Bollocks

lol the game told that I would be dead within meters as a rally driver

love the game, although I play with a controller it is fun, played with a front engine first and wasn't feeling it but with a rear engine it's so fucking nice to drift around the corners.

always loved codemaster's racing games going back to toca2 on the psx, even though I'm not a sim fan it is once again great work by them glad I picked it up on a whim regardless

I feel ya...I wont be able to play tonight until the kids go to bed...freaking adulthood...

I'm picking it up from bestbuy on my way home. But I have to walk the dog when I get home. Then I have to workout. Then I have to shower and shave my head. Then I have to prepare and eat dinner. Then I have to prepare my meals for tomorrow. Then I have about 30 minutes to play before bed but I'm So EXCITED to play for those 30 minutes.

AdultGAF unite. Let's cry together in our sorrow :(

Yes DR has incredible sound design, you can tell they put a lot of time and effort into it and man does it pay off, but the best sound design I've ever seen in a game belongs to Elite Dangerous. The sound in Elite is simply put the best sound design I've ever seen (heard?) in a game.

Well now... Elite Dangerous was never on my radar....until I read this. Cheers! (I guess)

The sheer learning curve put me off (aintnobodygottimefothat.gif). Game audio is a weak spot tho.

Best audio to this point was my unfinished Alien Isolation run...

Unsung heroes those sound dudes...

Dirt Rally Audio is up there tho...perfect transitions between views...and hella detail too.

We'll done all round Codies!

Azzawon

Haven't played this game for a very long time due to uni work (was in the PC early access from Day 1) but picked it up on XB1 today because it's easier for me to play.

It was great before, but now it's fantastic. This game is a huge breath of fresh air compared to other racing games, let alone rally ones. Can't wait to play more, but for now, my dissertation is calling!

spanna

No-one needs to worry about controller handling.
It is right up there with the best straight out the box. I have a 400 quid t300 wheel setup and I am preferring to pick and play with my controller on ps4.

It is at the completely opposite scale to Pcars controller handling which was a joke. Even after hours of tinkering.

danowat

Banned
Well now... Elite Dangerous was never on my radar....until I read this. Cheers! (I guess)

The sheer learning curve put me off (aintnobodygottimefothat.gif). Game audio is a weak spot tho.
It's not steep, it's f'ing vertical!

I don't think I've ever played a game as impenetrable as ED, it's one of those games that has zero respect for new players, and really takes a lot of time and effort to figure out.

Audio is fantastic though.

No-one needs to worry about controller handling.
It is right up there with the best straight out the box. I have a 400 quid t300 wheel setup and I am preferring to pick and play with my controller on ps4.

It is at the completely opposite scale to Pcars controller handling which was a joke. Even after hours of tinkering.
So much this.

Picked up Project Cars recently and even after tweaking the settings to hell and back it still just doesn't feel right. Definitely reminds me of the Shift days. Hasn't clicked for me after a dozen hours or so.

Dirt Rally felt great right out of the gate. Just tweaked some button assignments to shift gears on the circle and square buttons and I was ready to go.

And man the handling model feels superb, right from the get-go, even in the slowest car. Really impressed with it so far.

This was my car at the end of the first event, which I guess was like some practice thing while the game was secretly installing.

CfTK9EeWwAAzNKh.jpg:large

MINI FOR SALE. LIKE NEW. £1,000 ONO.

Is there some trick to adapting to the in-cockpit view? I've always been third-person in racing games but this one just doesn't feel right, however I'm kind of rubbish in-cockpit because spatial awareness is hard. I don't actually drive IRL either, which doesn't help. Is it just a case of practice?

I kinda want VR specifically for this single purpose.

Anyway, I love this game already. It feels so satisfying to nail a section even when you're "nailing it" at 15mph by scraping along a fence because you're terrible.

Makikou

This was my car at the end of the first event, which I guess was like some practice thing while the game was secretly installing.

MINI FOR SALE. LIKE NEW. £1,000 ONO.

Is there some trick to adapting to the in-cockpit view? I've always been third-person in racing games but this one just doesn't feel right, however I'm kind of rubbish in-cockpit because spatial awareness is hard. I don't actually drive IRL either, which doesn't help. Is it just a case of practice?

I kinda want VR specifically for this single purpose.

Anyway, I love this game already. It feels so satisfying to nail a section even when you're "nailing it" at 15mph by scraping along a fence because you're terrible.

I recommend using the dash cam. I've never got the cockpit camera feel good on PC. No immersion of speed vs. dash cam :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fell into one of the many ditches and then got popped out by a rock at the end.

Clip from the gameplay camera.

Oh wow. The in-cam doesn't look as insane. I wonder why the view/distance isn't exactly 1:1.

Yea, restarts were ok, but the handling changes were naff so retired from the rally and now just says "event already completed" for me...tried deleting save data and leaving/rejoining the leage too.

It's not your save. You have to wait until they change events/new event starts. Because you retired.

Practice. Remove the wheel. Actually drive.

danowat

Banned
Managed to squeeze 45mins in before bed, ooooo it's good, brings back memories of RBR.

You have to be 100% focused and on the ball or else you've had it, finished 3rd in the first event in Greece and 2nd in Montecarlo.

Oneself

I'm at work, online tracking says "attempted delivery" and a card was left for pick up.
Which I probably can't do tonight.

Nooooooooo.vader.gif

naib

/me glances at clock.

Who am I kidding? I'm not gonna be able to play until the kiddos are asleep. But I'm gonna install it as soon as I get home. Maybe clean up my wheelstand a little.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

CfTK9EeWwAAzNKh.jpg:large

Better than my first race where that same car was skidding across the finish line with no hood, a lost wheel with the axle grinding sparks against the gravel.

I demolished that Mini, but in 400 hours I will be crossing that finish line with all four wheels intact guaranteed!

Jusr wanted to say - hood cam for life, yo!

Though I have to admit, I really dig the windshield cam as well. (Or dash cam. Whatever its called.) I've just never been able to use cockpit views in racing games. As cool as they look, I need a better view of what's going on.

Sakujou

Banned
hi there,

i got the ps4 version, may i ask a question?

i played the last few days drive club, but this game is incredibly hard!

this game has nothing to do with the old colin mc rae games... right?
i have the feeling that this game is not related to any of the old dirt/mcrae-games...

the initial first race (while the game is installing) literally drove me nuts. i failed so hard, and even the normal races i only end up as 4th(out of 4).

what the fuck. i dont remember rally-games being so hard.

is this game completely different, or am i simply stupid?

Robaperas

Jusr wanted to say - hood cam for life, yo!

Though I have to admit, I really dig the windshield cam as well. (Or dash cam. Whatever its called.) I've just never been able to use cockpit views in racing games. As cool as they look, I need a better view of what's going on.

Yup, bonnet cam is the greatest. I tried the headcam but I couldn't get used to it.

hi there,

i got the ps4 version, may i ask a question?

i played the last few days drive club, but this game is incredibly hard!

this game has nothing to do with the old colin mc rae games... right?
i have the feeling that this game is not related to any of the old dirt/mcrae-games...

the initial first race (while the game is installing) literally drove me nuts. i failed so hard, and even the normal races i only end up as 4th(out of 4).

what the fuck. i dont remember rally-games being so hard.

is this game completely different, or am i simply stupid?

Well, the game IS hard, but you have to take it slow at first, like other said, drive slow to go fast, if you go flatout you'll end up flying off the road, losing time and maybe puncturing a wheel. The idea is to finish the stage, it doesn't matter if you end up last, the idea is to get to the end.

Certinty

Working my way up.

Currently using a wheel with chase cam and automatic gears since i'm incredibly inconsistent. This might just be the hardest racing game i've ever played, but i'm kind of liking that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
After all 2nd place finishes I was able to squeek out 1st in Sweden to close out my first championship. Feels good.

Hedrush

Have to say, the day one Gaf leaderboard could have been a little shorter... Will scare people away!

I think you need to complete all stages before you get on the leaderboards. Ill attempt a few stages tonight once i set up the wheel. Just need the wife to get to bed.

okay this game is going to make me breakdown and get a wheel.

I squeeked in a bit of game time before my workout.

I turned every assist off - manual transmission ( the clutch doesnt work if you use a ds4?)
Turned the HUD off after 1 race.
game is hard man. You learn to listen to your spotter immediately. After a few races I know the difference between a 1,2 and a 6. Also when he says dont cut. DONT CUT lol.

Sound is fucking awesome. It really brings me back to my offroading days.

My favorite little feature is when you hit the E brake your guy actually reaches down and pulls the chicken stick!

Hedrush

How do i setup my G29 to work with the game, it doesnt seen to be detecting it. No buttons work and controls just default to the DS4. Ive looked in the presets and i can only see DS4 or PSVita controls.

mileS

Total impulse buy today. Was going to wait for a sale. Legend edition was on at Walmart for $59 (CAD). A steal I say. Considering games are $79 here new now. $79 on PSN as well. Someone was saying the retail versions are selling cheaper? I haven't looked around much tbh.

Anyways enough about price. Can't freakin wait to jump in tonight!

Hedrush

OK, well this is a BIG pile of bullshit. I bought the game digitally on the US PSN as the UK price was ridiculous. My G29 will only work when i log onto my US account. This has really put a dampener on things for me.

Top Bottom