• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Mobius 1

Excited to finally have the Colin McRae Rally series back.

That brings some memories... CMR 1 and 2 were something special.

Pre-Ordered on PSN and ready to rock!

Can't wait to dig into this at 60 fps, I was only getting 40 @ Medium settings on my PC so hopefully PS4 will be a nice upgrade.

Onemic

How do you properly turn with the 70s Lancia Stratos? It seems like when I turn I can never correct myself and turn in the opposite direction, the car just keeps turning until I spin out.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So happy our console brethren get to join in on the fun. I anticipate a lot of frustration. Just remember that it's oh so worth it if you stick with it and improve.

Robaperas

How do you properly turn with the 70s Lancia Stratos? It seems like when I turn I can never correct myself and turn in the opposite direction, the car just keeps turning until I spin out.

I just stop accelerating, correct, and accelerate again. That car is notoriously "oversteery".

Just finished my first career event in Greece with my Mini Cooper and finished 2nd overall. And you know what, I'll take it. I started out a little rough, but quickly learned the benefit of feathering my throttle and brakes on some of those turns rather than using the e-brake. Using the latter I slowed down way too much, sometimes even stopping then having to accelerate back up to speed - which was killing my times.

First impressions are WOW. What an exhilarating game. It really does take a lot of concentration but I'm loving it. I'm fine using these slower vehicles for now, I have a feeling the faster ones are going to be absolutely scary by comparison.

Just finished my first career event in Greece with my Mini Cooper and finished 2nd overall. And you know what, I'll take it. I started out a little rough, but quickly learned the benefit of feathering my throttle and brakes on some of those turns rather than using the e-brake. Using the latter I slowed down way too much, sometimes even stopping then having to accelerate back up to speed - which was killing my times.

First impressions are WOW. What an exhilarating game. It really does take a lot of concentration but I'm loving it. I'm fine using these slower vehicles for now, I have a feeling the faster ones are going to be absolutely scary by comparison.

One tip for the Mini and later for the faster FWD kit cars. Because of the realistic physics, you might notice that there's such a thing as steering too much, and not as in oversteer, if you go full lock you'll feel the tires are just kinda spinning because you're going too fast to grip at that degree of turning. The Mini and Maxi (heh) both benefit in tight corners from steering around 50-75% as opposed to full lock.

One tip for the Mini and later for the faster FWD kit cars. Because of the realistic physics, you might notice that there's such a thing as steering too much, and not as in oversteer, if you go full lock you'll feel the tires are just kinda spinning because you're going too fast to grip at that degree of turning. The Mini and Maxi (heh) both benefit in tight corners from steering around 50-75% as opposed to full lock.
Yeah, absolutely. I definitely noticed several times when I was spinning my tires. Especially from a stand still - like at the beginning of a race.

It'll take me awhile to come to grips with this handling model. That's true of every rally game, but expecially with this one.

Mobius 1

The installation time is frustrating... But at least it's just one time.

I'm in love. Thanks to whomever decided champion this at Codemasters, you're doing holy work.

Thats called understeer.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is so so so good. played through my first series, greece in the mini, and i think its safe to say this has easily become my favorite racer ever. im so giddy

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This game's too hard for me.
I need to slowly work my way up to being able to play a game like this.
I heard Dirt 3 is more forgiving.

I might stick to more arcade or race track games for a while until I get better at just driving.

Dirt 3 is an entirely different beast, and also quite fun. VERY arcade-focused(to the detriment of many Rally purists), it has very wide tracks and most of the events focus on flashy excitement as the AI is all over the road and the bump n grind is in full of effect - and looks spectacular at times.

It does also throw in a ton of stunt-like events too, which I never really enjoyed(drifting, gymkhana - essentially a minigame stadium where you bash down cones, do donuts, get some slight airtime through gates, etc...) It breaks up the monotony of pure racing and Rally-type stuff, but I got pretty sick of seeing that stuff pop up in the career.

Dirt 3 was just on sale on PSN a couple weeks back for like a few bucks, and the "Complete Edition" on Steam can be had for super cheap on regular sales. Well worth checking out if you want a silly race experience. Definitely less forgiving than this game(features flashback rewinds and some nice risk/reward difficulty sliders to tailor the experience for all player types), I recommend checking it out.

danowat

Banned
Amazon better bloody deliver my copy today......or else......

PS4 league link for the new page.

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/30595/neogaf-ps4

Date range: 05/04/2016 01:00 - 12/04/2016 21:45
Event gamemode: Rally
Stage Retry: Yes
Owned Vehicles: No
Event Restart: Yes
Career Engineers: Yes
Vehicle restrictions:
MINI Cooper S, Lancia Fulvia HF, Renault Alpine A110

Stage: Track: Conditions: Service Area Vehicle Tuning Checkpoint Complete
1 Wales, Dyffryn Afon Reverse Morning / Overcast X X X
2 Germany, Waldaufstieg Morning / Rain X X X
3 Germany, Hammerstein Midday / Clear X X X
4 Sweden, Norraskoga Afternoon / Cloudy X X X
5 Sweden, Älgsjön Afternoon / Cloudy X X X
6 Monaco, Gordolon - Courte montée Midday / Sunny X X X

danowat

Banned
Bit too expensive for a double dip. 69,95€ on PSN..

Oh well :(

I guess we could run the same league setup concurrently on each platform and manually amalgamate the results on here if there was enough interest in a GAF all platforms league?

Makikou

I guess we could run the same league setup concurrently on each platform and manually amalgamate the results on here if there was enough interest in a GAF all platforms league?

Needs 3 league hosts working in unison then. I can atleast do this week if necessary. Granted we have the NeoGAF League on PC side already but i dont know if the host(s) are alive :)

danowat

Banned
Needs 3 league hosts working in unison then. I can atleast do this week if necessary. Granted we have the NeoGAF League on PC side already but i dont know if the host(s) are alive :)

Just needs 2 other people to setup the same league on the other two platforms, and then we could just manually copy and paste the results here at the end of the event and do an overall leaderboard, or someone could setup a google docs spreadsheet that is easy to update......

Obviously a bit of work required, but if there is enough interest it might be worth looking into.

Hello Mr danowat

We’re going to deliver your package today.

Woot!

Makikou

Just needs 2 other people to setup the same league on the other two platforms, and then we could just manually copy and paste the results here at the end of the event and do an overall leaderboard, or someone could setup a google docs spreadsheet that is easy to update......

Obviously a bit of work required, but if there is enough interest it might be worth looking into.

Woot!

I'll try my hand on it, see how much work it is this week. I'm going to create a league for PC.

We can call it a test run :)

E.B.E

Banned
Game has been live on the NZ PSN since yesterday but I refuse to pay 120NZD for a digital download. Physical doesn't release here til Friday. This is the most excruciating wait in my gaming history..

Makikou

Yeah, just an easy start with the 3 beginner cars, we can ramp up the length and difficulty once everyone is used to it.

I'd suggest for next time, disable career engineers & stage retries but allow event restarts. Of course we can see what the drivers here think about these ;)

NeoGAF PC League:
https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/30793/neogaf-pc

Protip: Jumping between different DiRT Rally website tabs WILL change your session between PS4/Steam.. Welp.

Probably already been asked and I apologise if I missed it but how does the PS4 version play with the controller? I've been really looking forward to the game but I don't have a wheel that works with the PS4. Would love to upgrade my DFGT to something that does but unfortunately I just can't afford it so I'm stuck with using the controller. Does it feel natural using the controller (like it does in Driveclub for example) or does the realistic nature of this game really lend itself to using a wheel and not so much a controller? Thanks everyone.

danowat

Banned
Probably already been asked and I apologise if I missed it but how does the PS4 version play with the controller? I've been really looking forward to the game but I don't have a wheel that works with the PS4. Would love to upgrade my DFGT to something that does but unfortunately I just can't afford it so I'm stuck with using the controller. Does it feel natural using the controller (like it does in Driveclub for example) or does the realistic nature of this game really lend itself to using a wheel and not so much a controller? Thanks everyone.

I've yet to play it, but apparently it plays very well on the pad, not heard anywhere near the gnashing of teeth from pad users that happened when PCars released.

I'd be either for

- just one stage and infinite retries
or
- one event without any retries

and I'd prefer the 2nd one because it's 1) more authentic, 2) less time consuming for me and 3) if you crash and end up with a bad time it might be more welcoming for gaffers that aren't so good at this(or think they're not good) to join.

I've yet to play it, but apparently it plays very well on the pad, not heard anywhere near the gnashing of teeth from pad users that happened when PCars released.

That sounds promising indeed. Probably too early to tell but I'd be interested to hear if controller users can be as fast as wheel users without having to be a freak or anything. I'm willing to put in the time to learn but if it's practically impossible for a controller user to get anywhere near a wheel user's time then it may turn a lot of controller users away from leagues and multiplayer in general. Hope it's well optimised for both input methods.

I'm a controller only player. I found the default configuration fine.

I did take the advice of a user in this thread though after playing for a few hours and changed steering sensitivity to 100 and linearity to 10. It instantly felt better to me. But this is all personal opinion I think. Someone else here preferred quite a different setup.

I'm not gonna argue with anyone who thinks a wheel is better. It probably is. Problem is - I suck with wheels and pedals. I'm always going to do better on a pad.

See I don't drive. So I have pretty much zero experience using 'real car controls'. What I do have is 30 years experience using joypads every day. Which one do you think I'm going to be better with?

danowat

Banned
I'd be either for

- just one stage and infinite retries
or
- one event without any retries

and I'd prefer the 2nd one because it's 1) more authentic, 2) less time consuming for me and 3) if you crash and end up with a bad time it might be more welcoming for gaffers that aren't so good at this(or think they're not good) to join.

If that's the general consensus then we can adjust the format for the next event, I just chucked something simple together for a start.

scrcrw

I actually set a few events this morning for the PC league, but running events in parallel to the console leagues is a cool idea. We could use the existing (200+ member) league for this or run your new league separately. The events I set this morning can easily be cancelled. I promoted you to owner, so you can take control if you want.

terrible

Banned

I gave it a quick try with an Xbox One controller on PC and it seems like they pretty much nailed the controls, at least with the Fulvia HF (beginner car). Your times will be limited by your skill only I imagine, it's good with a controller.

Freeman76

Really looking forward to this, I really am finding it tough but I just know this will be a tenner cheaper in a few weeks time and I just bought Trackmania so I cannot warrant spending 40 notes on another racer this week

Watevaman

Must be the rest of the complete game.

Well each of the regular updates was pretty big and they included some cars and stages usually. I know there's some new cars added, but I'll have to wait and see the changelog to see what all has been added.

Hopefully I can update the OT with the new content tonight!

Top Bottom