• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

U2NUMB

Game is gorgeous.. why is there no photo mode?? It certainly is difficult which is a nice change. Coming in around 3rd on each race and I am 100% happy with that..

On the X1 by the way.. its running and looking great.

Guys,

I havent even played this game yet and Im already looking at fuckin wheels.....

Im leaning towards a T150, are the T300 or the G29 really $100 better?

Onemic

Got my T300 but Im still waiting on the T3PA-pro pedals to come in and the wheel stand pro seems like its gonna take a while to set up, so I think I'll just wait until tomorrow to actually start using this thing seriously.

It was actually a good thing I got the Wheel Stand Pro because I cant even clamp the wheel to my desk because of how my desk is designed. Played about 5 minutes of AC with this, but the wheel just slips and slides everywhere. And these stock pedals are just terrible. They remind me of the pedals I got with my first wheel.

JamboGT

Well, my T500's fan just gave in, hear it was a weak link of the wheel and mine was a gen 1 model so was always going to happen. Just contacted customer service to see what they can do.

Will probably not play until I get that sorted, don't think I would enjoy this game with a pad.

A few have already been posted but can anyone give me the optimal settings for the controller, DS4. I've tried high sensitivity and found that to be better. But I don't have hours to find an optimal point.

Any help?

Robaperas

A few have already been posted but can anyone give me the optimal settings for the controller, DS4. I've tried high sensitivity and found that to be better. But I don't have hours to find an optimal point.

Any help?

Mine are 100 Sensitivity, 50 Linearity, 20 Deadzone. I don't think they're optimal, but they work for me.

GodofWine

Wow..I hit A LOT of trees in my first stage...ended up in a valley...car unrecoverable lol

Racenet appears to be down??

Azzawon

Ha, just noticed the 'Genius at Play' achievement/trophy. Brings back some great memories.

brand.gif

Bobnob

At the end of the stage you can press 'Y' (or triangle?) to view 'Friends Comparison', then press 'X' or square to 'View All'.
other than that is there no way to see race on leaderboards,how else would I practice on a paticular track,having no dedicated time trial mode is pretty sad if so.

Sooooo...can anyone explain to me what the Joker laps in the rally cross events are? I tried a race and at the end they added time because I failed to take the Joker lap. I had no idea which part of the course they wanted me to go. There's nothing in the tutorials about it (that i could see) and of course there's no manual for the game...

Watevaman

Sooooo...can anyone explain to me what the Joker laps in the rally cross events are? I tried a race and at the end they added time because I failed to take the Joker lap. I had no idea which part of the course they wanted me to go. There's nothing in the tutorials about it (that i could see) and of course there's no manual for the game...

Joker laps are required laps during rallycross where you need to take a different route for a certain period of time, I believe it's one lap in a race, no more, no less. The joker section is typically the longer section of the course, and the entrance is typically not far from the start line. You should see the AI taking a route that's different than yours and hear your spotter tell you "so and so has taken their joker" so keep an eye on that and you shouldn't have a problem. I believe the spotter also lets you know if you have or haven't taken yours by the beginning of the last lap, so keep an ear out.

Robaperas

Joker laps are required laps during rallycross where you need to take a different route for a certain period of time, I believe it's one lap in a race, no more, no less. The joker section is typically the longer section of the course, and the entrance is typically not far from the start line. You should see the AI taking a route that's different than yours and hear your spotter tell you "so and so has taken their joker" so keep an eye on that and you shouldn't have a problem. I believe the spotter also lets you know if you have or haven't taken yours by the beginning of the last lap, so keep an ear out.

Also they have green/black curbs, and tyres to helps you identify that sector/section.

U2NUMB

In case anyone is curious about what "Hero Stats" the Xbox Dash reports here is a pic.. obviously I need more friends who play the game :(

dirtgamestats.jpg

So Im finally home and playing the game, just finished Monte Carlo on the first championship and Im loving it so far (even with the unrecoverable vehicle in the 3rd stage of Greece totally screwing my 24 second lead!) but Ive notice already some oddities with the penalty system.

I just finished Monte Carlo and was in the running for first place when I grazed an outside fence (I didnt fly off the cliff or anything) and the game instantly spawned my car back on the road with a +13 second penalty....WTF? Im not joking when I say I grazed it, I barely ran wide on a corner, it definitely wouldnt have punted me off course but this is kinda irritating considering I was fighting for the win.

Robaperas

I just finished Monte Carlo and was in the running for first place when I grazed an outside fence (I didnt fly off the cliff or anything) and the game instantly spawned my car back on the road with a +13 second penalty....WTF? Im not joking when I say I grazed it, I barely ran wide on a corner, it definitely wouldnt have punted me off course but this is kinda irritating considering I was fighting for the win.

Weird, must be a bug because I've never seen or experienced that, and I slam on fences pretty regularly.

So Im finally home and playing the game, just finished Monte Carlo on the first championship and Im loving it so far (even with the unrecoverable vehicle in the 3rd stage of Greece totally screwing my 24 second lead!) but Ive notice already some oddities with the penalty system.

some of the older dirt games had really close by respawn boxes in stupid areas, I hope that's not the case here too.

Finished the 60's Championship and got...... 4th

Love this game even though it's consistently punishing me. Last time I had this much fun with a Rally game was RalliSport Challenge on the OG Xbox.

newsguy

So I picked this up today. I've played the previous Dirts and basically play most sims (not rally sims). Just to be clear, it's frustrating the SHIT out of me. I mean, I've been really cutting back on cursing lately, and this game is making me drop "fuck this piece of shit game" at every turn. I hate HATE not understanding wtf is going on with physics. I did an asphalt track and killed it. I do the next track with cobblestone on turns and I simply can't understand why braking does absolutely nothing. I just roll right into some big ass rocks. I go on dirt and I think I'm getting the hang of it, then it takes me 10 seconds to clear a hairpin turn because my handbrake does nothing. To put it mildly, I'm frustrated AF with this game right now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

spectators?

Hedrush

other than that is there no way to see race on leaderboards,how else would I practice on a paticular track,having no dedicated time trial mode is pretty sad if so.

Every mode except Rally X is time trial.

I can see all my friends times by pressing the appropriate button to view their times on whatever track I'm racing or whatever track they've raced. I then jot down the time and proceed to the track to try and beat it.

some of the older dirt games had really close by respawn boxes in stupid areas, I hope that's not the case here too.

I dont think it is, Ive already had plenty of off-road excursions but only this one seemed bogus.

spectators?

I didnt see any, it was a wooden fence on the outside of a corner on top of a small snowbank at the edge of a cliff, I didnt see any spectators at all.

This is amazing. They're having such a good time they forgot where they were on the notes lmao

This game is really fun. Punishing, but it feels great. So much better on controller than Project Cars out of the box (or even after tinkering with Project Cars for hours). Still having a hell of a time taking tight corners with any kind of finesse, or even staying on the track most of the time, but it's so good.

Rowena

Neo Member
I'm sure it's been asked but can't find the answer. But does anyone have good PS4 controller settings. Enjoying the game doing pretty well but curious if someone has decent settings.

Flo_Evans

I'm sure it's been asked but can't find the answer. But does anyone have good PS4 controller settings. Enjoying the game doing pretty well but curious if someone has decent settings.

I knocked sensitivity down one notch, linearity up one and deadzone up one. Seemed to be better... Still can't get higher than 4th on the preview event (still downloading) so maybe don't listen to me. :p

GKB

Haha. Now my serious answer...

What I tend to do is Scandinavian flick, dab the handbrake (not always, depends on how tight the hairpin is) and then manage the throttle on the way round and out of the corner. Doesn't always work but when it does it's so satisfying. I think hairpins are some of the most difficult things to master in this game but you'll normally find that until you do that's where you're losing most time.

Depends what type of car you are using, in the video you will see the RWD BMW at the start takes the corner in a very different way from the 4WD cars a little later on.

If you want to do it spectacularly then you either need to master getting the car a little bit sideways before the corner, either by mastering the scandi flick or getting the weight off the rear wheels by braking and steering into the corner while braking to push the back out a bit, and follow that through the bend with the power, or like the 4WD cars in the video, slow in and power out.

Thanks guys. I'm going to practice again later.

So I picked this up today. I've played the previous Dirts and basically play most sims (not rally sims). Just to be clear, it's frustrating the SHIT out of me. I mean, I've been really cutting back on cursing lately, and this game is making me drop "fuck this piece of shit game" at every turn. I hate HATE not understanding wtf is going on with physics. I did an asphalt track and killed it. I do the next track with cobblestone on turns and I simply can't understand why braking does absolutely nothing. I just roll right into some big ass rocks. I go on dirt and I think I'm getting the hang of it, then it takes me 10 seconds to clear a hairpin turn because my handbrake does nothing. To put it mildly, I'm frustrated AF with this game right now.

That's because there's not much traction on loose surface. The best way to get through a corner is to slide the car. Use the brake to fine-tune the car movement, not to stop.

Watch this video, it might help you understand the physics better.

Thanks for this been waiting for a sale on a ps4 wheel!!

No problem! I was shopping for weeks and couldn't find it on sale anywhere. I couldn't even find anyone selling it used. I broke down and bought it on eBay for $200 to avoid taxes. The next day amazon put it on sale lol.

I am sure a lot of GAF will be looking at wheels so I was just trying to help people avoid overpaying like I did.

Mine will be here tomorrow! Can't wait.

Turbo91GT

One awesome detail I noticed is that when you roll, the driver takes their hands off the steering wheel and crosses their arms to avoid injury to their wrists/arms.

mileS

Okay the last two YouTube videos are the shit. Not a die hard fan but its hard to deny how cool Rally can be.

How are the replays? No photo mode is a downer but could be patched in! why not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PvP is nothing but rallycross. Are you fucking kidding me? :/

Top Bottom