• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Uh so whats the point of the online challenges? I just spend an hour doing a 6 stage rally and a rally cross race and have zero credits to show for it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been there, done that

Dirt Rally day 1 =

GIFd4e2a.gif

You have a lot more damage you could be piling on before you reach the depths of my skill level.

Robaperas

Uh so whats the point of the online challenges? I just spend an hour doing a 6 stage rally and a rally cross race and have zero credits to show for it.

You get cash the next day if you check the daily, and at the end of the week for the weekly, the monthly gives more money if you're up to it.

Rally is such an exciting motorsport. I've no idea why its not more popular than it is.

Thats easy...its not a spectator sport really and its almost impossible to make money off of people going to see the races since they can just hike out into the woods for a view of the course.

Flo_Evans

Rally is such an exciting motorsport. I've no idea why its not more popular than it is.

It can be rather difficult to spectate. I go every year to the local race but it's 2 hours away, have to park and hike a mile, you can really only see 1 turn...

Edit: yaaaa won a stage in the mini! Seems like 1st gear is useless even in hairpins, need to just keep hammer down while hand braking in 2nd.

Physics are really great. Game runs like butter Such a pleasure to have a smooth running game after dealing with the jank of project cars. Of course it is not rendering/simulating a full grid but you get what I mean.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've forgotten how bad I am at this. I don't have a wheel, so I'm using the Dual-Shock 3 and it's nearly impossible to control the cars. *heh*

I also don't like how field of view will pull you backwards for more view of your car, but you can't actually just... move your camera toward the center of the car in cockpit. Dash cam doesn't even get affected by FoV so I'm not sure why it's the "go to" for in-cockpit if you turn off the other views as well.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just got this on ps4 and it's great fun. Although anyone think the graphics are really bad? Looks like a dx8 game at times wtf.

Onemic

Are there any settings I gotta change if I'm using a T300 in DR for the first time? I decided to try out pCars for 5 minutes just to see how it feels and it felt off by a ton.

Clockwork5

It is extremely difficult to broadcast a season of Rally.

I pay for WRC+ ($50 a year) and basically only get 3 hours a month of live race coverage which is really only 3 stages for about 8 drivers.

Granted, there is twice that amount of content in highlights and documentaries every month and you can go back and watch the onboard cam of any driver (or two drivers simultaneously) doing any stage so I highly, highly recommend it to any enthusiast but it is just a really hard sport to broadcast live so people here in the US just don't get exposed to it.

Also, this game is awesome. I was getting so bored of all the asphalt in Driveclub.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rallying is pretty much a solo event, as is hillclimb...if not for the addition of rally cross there would be no PvP.

I'd rather Rally be spectator instead of leaderboards. At least then I'd be able to see other people playing instead of doing circles around tracks in PvP. :/

GodofWine

This is not the 'dark souls' of driving games...no no no..I'm now convinced that dark souls is the dirt rally of action RPGs.

I put up a time in ps4 league, its embarrassing how long it took me to get a 4 minute race done.

Game is no joke. I can easily get 2nd place in rally stages and I've won a couple but damn, one small mistake and it's hard to recover. Love it. Difficult but fair and super rewarding.

This game controls extremely well with the gamepad. I just turned down the steering sens to 70 and I'm rockin and rollin.

It's a hard game, but it's sooooo much fun. It's so relaxing to just face the clock instead of cars on a track.

GKB

Is the difficulty in career dynamic? Can't see anywhere to adjust it.

The AI difficulty is adjusted as you go further and further through the career mode. So at first you'll have the Open Championship, to get promoted you have to finish in the top 3 at the end of the championship.

Also, if you end up in the bottom 3 you'll get relegated, unless you're in Open Championship of course.

Here's the full list.

Open -> Clubman -> Professional -> Elite -> Master

Ardenyal

Is the difficulty in career dynamic? Can't see anywhere to adjust it.

Definitely seemed to me like it is. First 4 rallies in open championship i was beating the competition by a margin of 15 seconds per stage. Last two rallies (sweden and monte carlo) I had a lot of trouble matching the pace of the fastest AI opponent.

Daigoro

the replay camera in this game is fantastic! watching a replay was so fun.

anyone figure out how to upload runs to youtube?

I'm all-in on cockpit view.

mos def

In case anyone is curious about what "Hero Stats" the Xbox Dash reports here is a pic.. obviously I need more friends who play the game :(
img]

i added you

Nerdkiller's tube link has me stoked. We in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30dxrwd0Kss

that's fantastic.

xrnzaaas

I played three rallies of the 60s Open Championship yesterday and they were great. The Monte Carlo rally was probably the hardest one because of the ice. It's great that you have to constantly think if you should go flatout or take it easy, because a crash will COST you a lot. :D

I'm playing using a controller with sensitivity set to 100 and linearity to 10 and these settings seem to be working fine for me. :)

danowat

Banned
My impressions FWIW.

Graphically and aurally it's top drawer, really good, smooth as butter, steady framerate, little bit of AF shimmer but otherwise great.

Physics, the controller settings out of the box are pretty much spot on, I may make a few small tweaks, but they won't be very different it works extermely well.
Question about rally tyres in real life, do they have very stiff sidewalls? I assume they do, and if so, the physics are very good, weight transition is good.

Not overly keen on the UI, some of the menus are a little convoluted, but I guess that's personal preference.

Great game, requires a lot of practice and concentration.

Flo_Evans

So if I have enough credits to buy a group b car can I just skip the 70s and 80s? Or do you have to beat those to unlock the latter championships?

JamboGT

I reckon there is an easy minute to make up as well, quite a few spins on one of the stages and took it very easy on the snow, was tough.

In regards to the game itself, I Like it a lot, proper rally game, narrow, tricky stages, great handling. Weight transfer, for me the key thing, is really good. Also really like how the different surfaces feel, on the monte you have to watch out for those ice patches! It isn't just a texture! Been playing with all assists off and it does seem fairly controllable as well, tyre lock up is manageable though you have to be very careful on the cobbles!

Sounds are really good as well, have mostly been using the 60s car but had a quick stage in the Delta and it sounds great.

Looks really good as well and am really happy with performance on PS4 :)

danowat

Banned
I reckon there is an easy minute to make up as well, quite a few spins on one of the stages and took it very easy on the snow, was tough.

Yeah, I made a number of huge errors on nearly all stages!

I reckon the A110 is the way to go though, I'll give it another run tonight.

Makikou

If you did the weekly rally, rewards will be given out next week.

Dailies give out rewards also when they end. Same for monthlies.

Dailies give upto 15k CR while monthlies can go far up to the 100k's.

danowat

Banned
My top tip is don't try to go fast, I spent half the stages driving like a Sunday driver!

Definitely, but I get cocky, I get three quarters of a way through a stage and start to feel like Colin McRae and pick up the pace thinking I am a god, only to start messing up.

sub_mart

Neo Member
Was planning to wait a bit for this one but after the positive comments here and reviews I went for it (Amazon same-day delivery helps with impulse buys), should have it tonight.

Any impressions on X1 with the Thurstmaster TX wheel?

xrnzaaas

Yeah, I made a number of huge errors on nearly all stages!

I reckon the A110 is the way to go though, I'll give it another run tonight.

Mini and Lancia Fulvia are very slow imo compared to the Alpine. It's definitely the best 60s car. I've also made some testing of the 70s cars and once I'm done with the 60s championship (which will still take some time) I think I'll switch to the Abarth 131 or to the Opel Kadett, because Lancia Stratos is much harder to control. :)

OK, well this is a BIG pile of bullshit. I bought the game digitally on the US PSN as the UK price was ridiculous. My G29 will only work when i log onto my US account. This has really put a dampener on things for me.

Woah, hold up, since when has this been a thing?

I wonder what it's doing when checking the licence to stop the wheel working on an account that didn't purchase the game.

Bollocks

Can I steer by using DS4 motion sensor?

If so I'll buy a PS4 to play this today.
If not I'll probably still buy one anyway!

I don't think you would want that, it is a sim and I don't think the tracking is even precise enough to make this a viable option.

Controller feels great though

terrible

Banned
Current top 3 of the Neogaf PS4 league

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/30595/neogaf-ps4

1 JamboGT Renault Alpine A110 29:58.375 --
2 Vix79 Renault Alpine A110 31:56.787 +01:58.412
3 Danowat32 Lancia Fulvia HF 33:36.466 +03:38.091

I'm doing it for the FWD cars, but 3mins is a heck of a margin Jambo!

Edit : Anyone managed to get the CREST telemetry tool to work on Google Chrome?

Lol should've seen my face when I did one of the weekly event things and saw my ranking when I finished. I embarrassed myself. That's ok though, it's fun as hell anyway. This game is really growing on me. I dreamed I was rally racing last night. Haven't had a game related dream like that in a while.

Was planning to wait a bit for this one but after the positive comments here and reviews I went for it (Amazon same-day delivery helps with impulse buys), should have it tonight.

Any impressions on X1 with the Thurstmaster TX wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdrff3V1f0w

It's the same as it is on PC basically, which means it's great with a TX.

danowat

Banned
Do we have any GAF leagues running on the Xbone side?

Set one up, it's fairly straightforward, you could even use the same setup as the PS4 one I set up so we can have them running concurrently, although some of the stages are a bit long........

danowat

Banned
The third stage was crazy long! Was shattered by the end of it wrestling the wheel!

Yeah, I know, I know, I'll pay more attention to the stage length next week!

Question, the league is open entry, everyone happy with this, or do we want request to join?, also, everyone happy with incrementally going through the car classes?

Current top 3 of the Neogaf PS4 league

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/30595/neogaf-ps4

1 JamboGT Renault Alpine A110 29:58.375 --
2 Vix79 Renault Alpine A110 31:56.787 +01:58.412
3 Danowat32 Lancia Fulvia HF 33:36.466 +03:38.091

I'm doing it for the FWD cars, but 3mins is a heck of a margin Jambo!

Edit : Anyone managed to get the CREST telemetry tool to work on Google Chrome?

That alpine is crazy OP. They should move it to the 70s class.

JamboGT

Yeah, I know, I know, I'll pay more attention to the stage length next week!

Question, the league is open entry, everyone happy with this, or do we want request to join?, also, everyone happy with incrementally going through the car classes?

It wasn't a bad thing to be honest, just a bit hardcore for my first night :)

newsguy

Dumb question, are there any wheels that support both consoles? I play racing games on both and feel like it's a big investment to miss out on half the games.

Top Bottom