• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

I raced the DS3 in the daily challenge and it was.......interesting.......

Was that the Rallycross challenge? I did that one too and I think with a little practice I could manage OK, but thats on a wide rally cross track.....not sure about trying to control something that fast on these narrow rally courses.

danowat

Banned
Was that the Rallycross challenge? I did that one too and I think with a little practice I could manage OK, but thats on a wide rally cross track.....not sure about trying to control something that fast on these narrow rally courses.

Yeah, was a big jump from the Fulvia, but yeah, it'll require a ton of focus on the narrow courses, I drove the 70's Opel in Greece and that was bad enough!

Default is pretty much bang on, maybe make the steering a little more sensitive so you can chuck it into corners quicker.

That technique was missing in the video you posted earlier. The hard-abrupt turn-in then correct, instead of smooth and steady throughout. Good to prevent understeer when going into a corner.

Edit: Does it have a name?

Yeesh, my Forza Horizon muscle memory made for a rough first go at this game. I think i spent more time upside-down than wheels down.

Mental note....powerslides are real things not to be messed with.

Jamesways

This game is sooo good. Not only the physics, weight transfer, controller feel out of the box, all the things previously mentioned, but the little things akin to a PC game too.

I love that you can adjust the seat position on the fly. I love that you can have a button for the wipers. I LOVE that I can have the co-driver calls come through the DS4. Such wonderful little additions that make a big difference.

Great game. Brutal, but it'll be great fun practicing to get better. Persistence and patience are the key.

It's just amazing that this exists on console.

Daigoro

XBONE RALLY LEAGUE

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/32219/rally-gaf

let's see if people are able to join. open to suggestions on how to fine tune it. i figured we should start with 4 early tracks and limit it to the two beginner cars.

feel free to join up and leave suggestions on what changes you'd like to see. im not even sure i set it up right yet.

OK its been updated.

3 stages, event restart, beginner cars.

beginners welcome! i made the theague and i cant stop crashing, so you'll be fine.

it starts in about 30 minutes and goes until Saturday morning. we can always call it before then and make another one if we are tired of it or it doesnt work out.

have fun and dont cut!

Makikou

Thanks. What are your settings for the T300 control panel? I hear that soft-lock is the best way to go since it changes the rotation to each cars real life rotation

I dont like soft-lock, so i have 540 degs for DiRT Rally.

Otherwise,

75%
100%
100%
0%
0%
By the game.

DD

I made something stupid on the PC league yesterday. I decided to race with the Alpine without knowing the car (60s cars are easy to handle, yeah). Did Ok on the last four stages, but in the first two I was awful. ;(

Anyway, I find it weird to have the obligation to do the 6 tracks in one tackle. I wasn't intending to do that. :p

I made something stupid on the PC league yesterday. I decided to race with the Alpine without knowing the car (60s cars are easy to handle, yeah). Did Ok on the last four stages, but in the first two I was awful. ;(

Anyway, I find it weird to have the obligation to do the 6 tracks in one tackle. I wasn't intending to do that. :p

What I hate about this is that I always seem to get an "unrecoverable" crash at like the 4th stage.

So I have zero chance of winning but Ive invested enough time for it to be annoying.

Kysen

Is this more of a game than project cars? I don't mind sims but there has to be something gamey tying it all together. Not having anything to work towards in PCars really turned me off.

Is this more of a game than project cars? I don't mind sims but there has to be something gamey tying it all together. Not having anything to work towards in PCars really turned me off.

You have to buy your cars with cash and you can also "lease" better mechanics for between-stage repairs. Other than those aspects theres not a whole lot to tie the career mode together at first glance.

But having to work for cars seems like a good motivation to keep going.

Is there any "hidden" unlock able cars or is what you see what you get?

Not as far as I can tell. You can go through each class and see what cars are available to buy but some of them are quite expensive (500,000 credits and you get about 10k credits when you win a rally)

OK its been updated.

beginners welcome! i made the theague and i cant stop crashing, so you'll be fine.

it starts in about 30 minutes and goes until Saturday morning. we can always call it before then and make another one if we are tired of it or it doesnt work out.

have fun and dont cut!

Cool. I joined.

Azzawon

OK its been updated.

have fun and dont cut!

I'm in!

U2NUMB

OK its been updated.

have fun and dont cut!

Awesome.. just signed up. Happy to be middle of the pack... I hope.

Daigoro

just hit an interesting bug on xbone.

after i completed the second race i chose to view league standings and it goes to a screen that says NO ENTRIES. i can back out of the screen and im forced to quit to dashboard and reset the game...

hopefully my crappy time saved on the second stage.

edit: yeah it didnt save my time...

dont click on View league Standings in between stages.

GodofWine

just hit an interesting bug on xbone.

after i completed the second race i chose to view league standings and it goes to a screen that says NO ENTRIES. i can back out of the screen and im forced to quit to dashboard and reset the game...

hopefully my crappy time saved on the second stage.

edit: yeah it didnt save my time...

dont click on View league Standings in between stages.

Does same on ps4.

Daigoro

ok, so you cant redo the whole event once you beat it then. i wasnt sure what all the options were at the time. i didnt see an option for restarting mid-event either, but i wasnt looking very hard.

well 3 days is going to be too long then.

those are some fun tracks! i didnt have an real crashes, but i went pretty slow for most of it. pretty fun event.

ok, i gotta hit the sack in a few. catch up with you guys later. enjoy the first 3 stages!

Azzawon

ok, so you cant redo the whole event once you beat it then. i wasnt sure what all the options were at the time. i didnt see an option for restarting mid-event either, but i wasnt looking very hard.

well 3 days is going to be too long then.

those are some fun tracks! i didnt have an real crashes, but i went pretty slow for most of it. pretty fun event.

I think it works great! I like how the duration gives everyone a chance to set a time, and no retries is punishing but effective, just like the online events :)

Great selection of stages! I messed up on the first one, one moment of losing concentration and I was upside down in a tree :p

Robaperas

So Im getting the feeling that the higher HP cars are going to be unmanageable with the controller. How is it with the WRC cars for those of you who've unlocked them?

WRC cars and specially the 2010 cars are really stable and easy to drive, you can also use the extra power to get out of tricky situations, wide turns, close calls, etc. The only car that I can't drive or barely can is the Lancia 037 in Sweden, it feels like an F1 car on ice. You can try every car in the custom event though, they aren't locked away until you buy them.

Got this game a week ago and super loving it.

https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/14770/neogaf-league

Is this the PC league everyone is playing on?

Yup, that's the one.

Bobnob

HAHAHA! Just signed up to the X1 league, did it and got DQ'd in rally 3 haha! not done any of the tracks before and first time wheel user, first time hood (sort of) user heee! Love the tracks picked especially the third one. : ) no option to restart tho! : /

Hedrush

Ok somehow my wheel is now working with the game on my main account. I deleted the save data and booted the game up with the G29 attached, the issue still arose where the wheel just seemed dead with no buttons working, so I switched to my US account and once again the wheel magically sprung to life. Downhearted I switched back to my main account and for some reason the wheel started working, rejoice. I've rebooted the game and the console a few times and its still working.

Time to git gud!

So Im getting the feeling that the higher HP cars are going to be unmanageable with the controller. How is it with the WRC cars for those of you who've unlocked them?

Driving 2000s,2010s and R4 (and probably group A) shouldn't be a problem with the controller with some practice.
Group b on the other hand....

Onemic

What does softlock for the T300 do exactly? It seems like it makes it harder to rotate the wheel past a certain point.

Makikou

What does softlock for the T300 do exactly? It seems like it makes it harder to rotate the wheel past a certain point.

Thats exactly what it does. It's poorly done in DiRT Rally. It basically makes it harder to turn the wheel past the set soft lock rotation point by applying a lot of force.

So it's better to just set eg. 540 on drivers and not worry about killing your wheel's FFB motor.

Onemic

Thats exactly what it does. It's poorly done in DiRT Rally. It basically makes it harder to turn the wheel past the set soft lock rotation point by applying a lot of force.

So it's better to just set eg. 540 on drivers and not worry about killing your wheel's FFB motor.

Oh, so it doesnt truly mimic every cars rotation. Good to know.

Should I be using fan forced for DR as well?

Vol5

Introduced my father in law to the game yesterday who rallys himself. He went out and bought a ps4 with the game today. Haha.

Tuffty

I didn't know what fear was until I played a stage at night, in cockpit view, destroyed my headlights in a crash early in the race and then had to complete it whilst trying to make up time.

EBreda

Ok, so NeoGaf Xbox league is already up to 219 members.

Don't know if it was a good idea to make it completely open..

Edit:
Ok, maybe it was just me being stupid and joining the PC league or whatever.
Xbox league down to 11 members, good!

Flo_Evans

I didn't know what fear was until I played a stage at night, in cockpit view, destroyed my headlights in a crash early in the race and then had to complete it whilst trying to make up time.

I might need to mess with my gamma settings but I found this completely impossible.

For the people playing with a PS4 pad what is your Steering Sensitivity and Steering linearity set to?

I just knocked sensitivity down one notch. Added one notch of deadzone. Left linearity alone. IDK if it really helped or I just was getting more familiar with the game. New wheel gets here tomorrow so... not gonna spend too much time messing with it.

Top Bottom