• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

So guys I'm trying to wrap my head around how the career works:
- I placed third with the mini in the open, so I advanced to the Clubman and was able to buy the 1970s Opel. I am finding it immensely harder to drive :( I tried to leave the championship to buy a different car, and was demoted back to Open :(( Now in the open i'm struggling with the Opel. Should I just use the Mini again?

I know I know, "git gud" but is there an advantage to buying the new cars, aside from just wanting to drive them? Could you feasibly take, for example, the Mini, through the whole career? Not that I'd want to, but I'm not getting the career structure.

Robaperas

So guys I'm trying to wrap my head around how the career works:
- I placed third with the mini in the open, so I advanced to the Clubman and was able to buy the 1970s Opel. I am finding it immensely harder to drive :( I tried to leave the championship to buy a different car, and was demoted back to Open :(( Now in the open i'm struggling with the Opel. Should I just use the Mini again?

I know I know, "git gud" but is there an advantage to buying the new cars, aside from just wanting to drive them? Could you feasibly take, for example, the Mini, through the whole career? Not that I'd want to, but I'm not getting the career structure.

You can use the Mini all the way through, there's even an achievement for winning a masters championship event with the Mini. If you're uncomfortable with the Opel, use the Mini again, don't feel forced to drive a car that is too hard for you to control for now.

Hedrush

Well I managed to get stage 1 of the PS4 league done tonight in between career mode and it was pretty intense stuff. A few restarts but I managed a respectable 14th, hopefully ill make up some ground on the later stages.

Anybody have any good settings for the A110 for Sweden? Im in the 2nd half of it and I have a 9 second lead but the long straights are whats killing me the most. Basically it feels like if you ever get any speed going on the straight, it will be immediately followed by a big crash.

You can use the Mini all the way through, there's even an achievement for winning a masters championship event with the Mini. If you're uncomfortable with the Opel, use the Mini again, don't feel forced to drive a car that is too hard for you to control for now.

Thanks man. I figure I'll try sticking it out - changed the co driver to late calls, and added a couple assists, seems to have made a huge difference.

So do you just drive new cars because you want to? Or is each era a different pay grade? Also when breaking in a new car, do you practice before taking it to a championship?

Robaperas

Thanks man. I figure I'll try sticking it out - changed the co driver to late calls, and added a couple assists, seems to have made a huge difference.

So do you just drive new cars because you want to? Or is each era a different pay grade? Also when breaking in a new car, do you practice before taking it to a championship?

No, I think the pay increases as you progress, the higher you get, the harder it gets and you drive more stages in harsher conditions but the rewards increase too, so that's an incentive. As for new cars, personally I just drive them, I don't even practice for the dailies :p

Daigoro

thanks for joining everybody. hope you're having fun.

i see im steadily being pushed lower and lower down the rankings. :p it was either drive safe or crash and burn, so i opted to finish the stages instead lol

I think it works great! I like how the duration gives everyone a chance to set a time, and no retries is punishing but effective, just like the online events :)

Great selection of stages! I messed up on the first one, one moment of losing concentration and I was upside down in a tree :p

upside down in a tree and still a minute better than me. nice.

yeah the track were all very fun.

Ok, so NeoGaf Xbox league is already up to 219 members.

Don't know if it was a good idea to make it completely open..

Edit:
Ok, maybe it was just me being stupid and joining the PC league or whatever.
Xbox league down to 11 members, good!

had me scared there for a second. i guess its ok like it is for now? peoples GTs arent the same as their gaf names so im just assuming that they are all gaffers at this point. only 15 people now, so its a safe bet.

in the future do people think we should have them closed? or just leave them open? im open to suggestions.

I joined the xbox GAF League and gave it a quick go. I didn't realize that you don't get a second shot? That is actually pretty awesome that you only get a single attempt.

i believe the way i have it set up is that you can reset the whole thing if you have a really bad stage, and start from the first stage. though i didnt actually see that option during my event. but i drove really slow so i wouldnt crash lol

can anyone confirm? i had the option for "restart event" ticked off when i was creating. seems like this is the best setting to keep it competitive, but not impossible if you have a really bad run somewhere along the line.

im certainly open to making changes for the next Event if people have preferences. speak up!

I just signed up for the Xbox league. My GT is DblTap. This will be fun but I'm gonna suck bad. :)

just take it slow! you can always try the tracks first in create an event by doing one track at a time. choosing more than one seems to automatically choose them for you...? its odd, but that's the only was i was able to check out the tracks before hand when i was making the league.

i sukc too, so dont worry. looks like we have some good racers in the league so far though, so, something to aspire to!

I just did mine and really messed up the first and third stages. Considering it was only my second time trying the game, I'll take it a learning experience. First stage I simply crashed and had to take too many penalties and on the third stage I got stuck in a ditch and it took me a while to get out (it didn't give me an option to reset).

Still, I was fun.

yeah, im still struggling as well. way to used to arcade rally's. glad you had fun!

I'm so grateful the Alpine isn't allowed for the XB1 league :p

yeah, that was intentional for sure.

U2NUMB

It has been a while since a racing game of any type challenged me in a way that made me better. Just got my first .. first place and cleared it by over 11 seconds. I have had this game on Steam since early access and instantly gave up.

So glad I double dipped and gave the console version a try.

GodofWine

Well, Ps4 event one is done... I pummeled everything.

I did notice that it saved my first run on stage 1 as my time despite restarting and shaving almistca minute off it.

I also learned to "not be brave" when told to be brave lol

Traction control and stability control at 1 provide just that little bit of control needed...I figured that out a little late.

Looking forward to whatever is next.

This game makes physically tired :)

xrnzaaas

Damn Sweden is tough. Hitting one snowbank after the other doesn't work good on your morale. ;p

Also the Wales stages with the water splashes are VERY tricky. There are soooo many places where you can do something stupid and crash and/or lose a lot of time.

AmyS

Face-Off: Dirt Rally
The spirit of McRae is back - along with 60fps gameplay.

Hitting 60fps on console hardware is no easy task, often requiring developers to make compromises in graphical quality. And as you'd expect, Dirt Rally sees several graphical settings reduced from their maximum PC values in order to deliver this experience. Texture detail is lowered from ultra to high, shadows, particles, and ambient occlusion are knocked down to medium, and draw distances are also dialled back slightly. Smoke shadows and advanced ambient occlusion are also absent entirely.

The impact of these changes varies throughout the game. For example, the reduction in particles sees less dust and debris thrown up by the cars, while the use of lower resolution shadows results in these elements appearing quite rough during pre-race sequences. The lack of ambient occlusion also provides less depth around objects, mainly standing out across roadside barriers and buildings. On the other hand, changes in draw distance, LOD streaming and crowd detail are less dramatic, and aren't so noticeable while playing. Texture quality on consoles doesn't quite match up to the PC release either, so the artwork appears a little softer on close inspection, but there's not a massive gulf in asset quality across the entire game.

In fact, several elements are actually running at max settings on consoles, with shader detail, weather, and track quality all appearing identical to the PC release. Advanced fog and blending are also enabled on consoles: the former delivers a thick veil of mist in snowy conditions, while the latter smooths out edges of trees and foliage across the scene. Curiously, a stronger depth of field effect is also present on console on the horizon, which shows trees and distant scenery slightly out of focus.

Dirt Rally: the Digital Foundry verdict

While we enjoyed the previous Dirt titles there was a sense that the series had strayed a little too far from the roots of the earlier Colin McRae games. Arcade-style handling took the lead over simulation, while visual effects work took priority over frame-rate, with a 30fps update cutting fluidity and gameplay response by half. Dirt Rally brings the series back to 60fps and does so superbly, with impressively realistic handling and smooth motion. It's a great return to form for the series and for the most part, Codemasters delivers across all formats.

Understandably, some graphical cut-backs appear on consoles in order to hit 60fps, but aside from noticeably lower quality shadows the core visuals are only mildly impacted and the presentation appears pretty similar to on PC. Key areas, such as weather, and select effects work appear identical on all formats, and there's very little to distinguish between consoles.

As expected, the PC version takes point, allowing users to dial up effects and asset quality beyond console levels. Higher resolution textures, shadows, and slightly better draw distances allow for the visuals to better hold up at resolutions above 1080p, and this provides a more refined experience overall. That said, Codemasters' conversion work is solid on consoles, and all three versions are well worth picking up for fans of the series looking for the most authentic rally game in years. However, it's the return to a 60fps that pleases us the most, and on that front Dirt Rally certainly delivers.

The full Face-Off article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-dirt-rally-face-off

hunchback

I was doing pretty good for being new. Then I got to stage 2 of the Xbox league. I was doing pretty good in the snow and then just drove myself off the edge. The car was totaled.

I'm gonna finish the next one even if I have to drive 20 mph the entire time.

So there are no do overs in league if you total the car?

I'm enjoying the difficulty and lack of hand holding. Reminds me of the Sierra/Papyrus Nascar sims in 1999 and 2000.

legbone

Damn Sweden is tough. Hitting one snowbank after the other doesn't work good on your morale. ;p

Also the Wales stages with the water splashes are VERY tricky. There are soooo many places where you can do something stupid and crash and/or lose a lot of time.

yep, wales and sweden can kiss my ass. monaco must be easy mode because i can get first in every stage it seems but then, bam, 4th or 5th on sweden or wales. i love the atmosphere of wales but the bumps can kick rocks. may have to fiddle with some suspension settings or springs or whatever for that track. i don't know shit about tuning but i gotta do something about wales.

danowat

Banned
I didn't realise the league event was a one shot thing, can't run it again :-(

Anyway, top 3

1 JamboGT Renault Alpine A110 29:58.375 --
2 migui993 Renault Alpine A110 31:25.305 +01:26.930
3 batOtaq Renault Alpine A110 31:25.322 +01:26.947

This game is kicking my arse, onto the 70's now, and it's tough, can someone clear up the career for me?, if you finish the season in the top 3, you get promoted to the next difficulty level?, high difficulties = higher payouts?, what happens if you finish 4th?, stay the same difficulty or bumped down?

Suprised no one has yet done a "Dirt Souls" photoshop with a crashed rally car and "YOU DIED" on it!, I'd do it, but I don't have access to photoshop!

It wasn't the run itself, simply the combination of the scenery, visuals & framerate, T300 wheel, etc. all on console, that's what impressed me .

Ah I gotcha. Yeah I would love to have a setup like that. I do well enough with a controller though.

xrnzaaas

I didn't realise the league event was a one shot thing, can't run it again :-(

Anyway, top 3

1 JamboGT Renault Alpine A110 29:58.375 --
2 migui993 Renault Alpine A110 31:25.305 +01:26.930
3 batOtaq Renault Alpine A110 31:25.322 +01:26.947

This game is kicking my arse, onto the 70's now, and it's tough, can someone clear up the career for me?, if you finish the season in the top 3, you get promoted to the next difficulty level?, high difficulties = higher payouts?, what happens if you finish 4th?, stay the same difficulty or bumped down?

Suprised no one has yet done a "Dirt Souls" photoshop with a crashed rally car and "YOU DIED" on it!, I'd do it, but I don't have access to photoshop!

From what I understand you stay in the same league if you finish in the middle of the pack. If you end up in the bottom 3 you're getting demoted to a lower league , but you can't get lower than Open.

Honestly I would prefer a more traditional career mode where you set the difficulty level yourself instead of waiting to be promoted or wasting time in a season that's just too hard for you right now (I mean in general, like for example Group B).

danowat

Banned
From what I understand you stay in the same league if you finish in the middle of the pack. If you end up in the bottom 3 you're getting demoted to a lower league, but you can't get lower than Open.

Honestly I would prefer a more traditional career mode where you set the difficulty level yourself instead of waiting to be promoted or wasting time in a season that's just too hard for you right now (I mean in general, like for example Group B).

Gotcha, so apart from potentially higher payouts for higher difficulties or demotion for finishing in the bottom three, there are no real penalties for not coming top 3.

I can live with that, I won't get too bent out of shape when I crash then!

I assume the actual events in higher difficulties are longer too?, sure the clubman event is longer than the open was.

I don't mind the way it is, it's a bit more open than a traditional career, bit like PCars, you can race what you want, when you want, although you need to buy cars in DR, which I don't really like.

xrnzaaas

Gotcha, so apart from potentially higher payouts for higher difficulties or demotion for finishing in the bottom three, there are no real penalties for not coming top 3.

I can live with that, I won't get too bent out of shape when I crash then!

I assume the actual events in higher difficulties are longer too?, sure the clubman event is longer than the open was.

I don't mind the way it is, it's a bit more open than a traditional career, bit like PCars, you can race what you want, when you want, although you need to buy cars in DR, which I don't really like.

I've only purchased like 2 or 3 (cheapest ;)) cars so far but it sure looks like it's going to be a lot of grinding to get the best cars. :)

By the way do you guys know if you get something more from hiring better engineers except for shorter repair times? I feel like I'm wasting a lot of money here...

scrcrw

I've only purchased like 2 or 3 (cheapest ;)) cars so far but it sure looks like it's going to be a lot of grinding to get the best cars. :)

By the way do you guys know if you get something more from hiring better engineers except for shorter repair times? I feel like I'm wasting a lot of money here...
Yes, the only difference is that better engineers repair faster. Modern cars take a lot longer to repair, so that's were the expensive guys become useful.
The Perk slots are also very important. With all slots unlocked on your crew chief and at least 3 engineers you can cut Upgrade times by 100%, meaning you can upgrade any car in a single stage. I'd recommend picking a team and sticking with it for this reason.

Money will come a lot faster in higher difficulties. A single stage Masters custom championship will get you up to 28k in Rally and 120k (!) in Hillclimb.

danowat

Banned
Yes, the only difference is that better engineers repair faster. Modern cars take a lot longer to repair, so that's were the expensive guys become useful.
The Perk slots are also very important. With all slots unlocked on your crew chief and at least 3 engineers you can cut Upgrade times by 100%, meaning you can upgrade any car in a single stage. I'd recommend picking a team and sticking with it for this reason.

Talking about upgrades, they aren't actually "upgrades" at all are they?, by this I mean your car (stock) starts with stats lower than what they state on the garage screen, and then are "upgraded" to what the garage screen says it should be.

Is that right?, my Fiat 131 (sick car) started at 190bhp, and was then upgraded to 240bhp (as the garage stated it should be)

scrcrw

Talking about upgrades, they aren't actually "upgrades" at all are they?, by this I mean your car (stock) starts with stats lower than what they state on the garage screen, and then are "upgraded" to what the garage screen says it should be.

Is that right?, my Fiat 131 (sick car) started at 190bhp, and was then upgraded to 240bhp (as the garage stated it should be)
Yes, I believe you're right. You're basically just unlocking the car's full potential.

Hedrush

Did the wheel work this time?

Yeah I eventually got it to work yesterday. I deleted the save data and although I did initially have the same problem, switching to my US account and switching back fixed it this time, really weird. I can replicate it again by deleting the save data. I'm glad its working, as although playing with the controller was perfectly manageable it's so much better with the wheel.

Git'n gud, is still hard though.

Ardenyal

Yeah I eventually got it to work yesterday. I deleted the save data and although I did initially have the same problem, switching to my US account and switching back fixed it this time, really weird. I can replicate it again by deleting the save data. I'm glad its working, as although playing with the controller was perfectly manageable it's so much better with the wheel.

Deleting the save data is not needed in my experience. Just restart the game.

This game does have issues when resuming a game from rest mode, the wheel is dead in the game but you can back out to ps menu. Also switching to DS4 messes up the wheel, cant switch between them on the fly.

Hedrush

Deleting the save data is not needed in my experience. Just restart the game.

This game does have issues when resuming a game from rest mode, the wheel is dead in the game but you can back out to ps menu. Also switching to DS4 messes up the wheel, cant switch between them on the fly.

I noticed this last night. When I switched back to my main account my DS4 was unresponsive. A bit of a strange issue overall and hopefully they do fix it.

Does anyone have a link to a page that lists all car upgrades for each car (and not just "weight reduction" but also to what degree)?
Hadn't played much career before and now decided to to go for 4WD Group B after the 70s Kadett. Bought the Delta S4 and after one stage had the feeling it was a terrible choice, but after the first 2 upgrades and setup changes, it's really nice now -lot more turbo power, more camber and toe-in made a lot of difference.

Good to hear, guess this will be going on my list of games to get now that Driveclub seems to be dying off unfortunately.

MadYarpen

This is sheer god damn insanity! I was nervous just watching it lol. That was intense especially when the light flips backwards and blinds them. That driver has balls of steel.

Thanks for posting!

Yeah, he has. Check out photos of his crash in 2011 to appreciate his passion towards the sport.

And I guess you don't know Polish, but pacenotes make it even more intense.

It was on studded tyres crossed with winter tyres by the way. Beat that lol.

Azzawon

Today's daily in the Peugeot 205 is insanely difficult. Managed a 4:19.872.

Edit: Today's daily wager, however:

xTxwJPF.png

On-board: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Azzawon/video/16397230

RawNuts

Was setting a leading pace by far in the Xbox league, then flew off the edge in Monte Carlo.
The worst part? I've had my runs ended from the same exact corner twice before this; I just somehow never learn from it.

You have access to GIMP :)

I only got to do a few races last night after running out and grabbing a g29 w/shifter. Holy fuck it's harder then I thought. My left arm was sore from driving with 1 arm and I was sweating. Alot.

Tonight's shoulder night so I'm not looking forward to playing dirt afterwards lol. It'll be a 2 hand afair for sure.

danowat

Banned
I only got to do a few races last night after running out and grabbing a g29 w/shifter. Holy fuck it's harder then I thought. My left arm was sore from driving with 1 arm and I was sweating. Alot.

My wife was working last night, so I had a bit of time to play, when she got home she remarked at how cold the house was, and why I hadn't put the heating on, I was sweating my nuts off because of the extreme concentration, and hadn't noticed how cold it was....

GodofWine

My wife was working last night, so I had a bit of time to play, when she got home she remarked at how cold the house was, and why I hadn't put the heating on, I was sweating my nuts off because of the extreme concentration, and hadn't noticed how cold it was....

Oh hell yes its exhausting, listening to the codriver, trying to process "80 long right 6 into accute left, don't cut rocks on exit, 100 maybe jump, stay left over crest into squared right, be brave" (lol), trying to remember my right from my left, while saying "oh shit oH shit oh shit..." While whizzing past trees rocks people cliffs...wow

Is there any PC league info handy? I've had this for a few months now and recently got back into it. Would love to switch things up and play against some real people.

GKB

I've only done 2 stages and i'm already 2 minutes behind. Damn, you guys are fast :/

Is there any PC league info handy? I've had this for a few months now and recently got back into it. Would love to switch things up and play against some real people.

Neogaf PC league is here.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

My problem with the PC league) is, quite simply, I have zero chance of placing well with some of the drivers here on GAF. Sccrow consistantly gets over a minute better times on everything I race, and often it's much more than a minute better!

Yeah, I just ain't good enough. And since the multiplayer leagues don't earn you any money I'd just as soon race in the single player championships and very slowly unlock cars along the way. At least in the professional level championships I can come in around the middle of the pack or even sometimes better. :)

Top Bottom