• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

For the people playing with a PS4 pad what is your Steering Sensitivity and Steering linearity set to?
100 Sensitivity 10 Linear. It works for me.

Finished the PS4 league event and took 3rd! Well pleased. But if I can do it, you lovely people can do it too!

Didn't do too well in the first two stages, but a miraculous drive in the snow of the third stage - which I got the fastest time overall so far - pushed me right up the rankings. Somehow I managed to hold on.

God knows how I did that 11km long snowy nightmare and got that time. I was crapping myself all the way around. The road wasn't the only place I left skidmarks!

GodofWine

100 Sensitivity 10 Linear. It works for me.

Finished the PS4 league event and took 3rd! Well pleased. But if I can do it, you lovely people can do it too!

Didn't do too well in the first two stages, but a miraculous drive in the snow of the third stage - which I got the fastest time overall so far - pushed me right up the rankings. Somehow I managed to hold on.

God knows how I did that 11km long snowy nightmare and got that time. I was crapping myself all the way around. The road wasn't the only place I left skidmarks!

Event ain't over yet...don't count that third place yet! (Im in 16th after one stage so maybe you can :) )

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I might need to mess with my gamma settings but I found this completely impossible.

That's kinda the point. At that point you have to drive really carefully as you can't see anything.

mileS

I also can't make up my mind what assists to leave on for PS4. I usually don't run with everything turned off. With this being a more difficult game compared to the previous games, I'm worried about the insane learning curve I'd be in for.

Isn't no assists way better for a wheel? Don't hear many comment about turning everything off for a gamepad.

Robaperas

I also can't make up my mind what assists to leave on for PS4. I usually don't run with everything turned off. With this being a more difficult game compared to the previous games, I'm worried about the insane learning curve I'd be in for.

Isn't no assists way better for a wheel? Don't hear many comment about turning everything off for a gamepad.

I started with everything turned off on a DS4, it's rough at first but it helps you be in total control of the car.

GodofWine

I've been going with all off, seems doable, and ultimately I believe its faster...assuming you don't smash the car into something

JamboGT

I am running with all assists off, doesn't seem to hurt the times. That stage four in the snow was really tough, had a couple of spins then drove like it was sunday afternoon! Was glad to make it through.

ElNino

OK its been updated.

3 stages, event restart, beginner cars.

beginners welcome! i made the theague and i cant stop crashing, so you'll be fine.

it starts in about 30 minutes and goes until Saturday morning. we can always call it before then and make another one if we are tired of it or it doesnt work out.

have fun and dont cut!
I joined, will try to give it a go tonight.

This game seems to be in somewhat short supply in my area. The soonest you can do an in store pickup with any Best Buy within 200 miles is on the 15th. As far as I can tell they never even had it in store at this point. Availability with Gamestop looks spotty too as it's not available at my local store and every store that does have it list it as low stock. Anyone else notice this?

I don't know if the game is selling well or there was a bit of a supply problem in my region, but something is up.

This game seems to be in somewhat short supply in my area. The soonest you can do an in store pickup with any Best Buy within 200 miles is on the 15th. As far as I can tell they never even had it in store at this point. Availability with Gamestop looks spotty too as it's not available at my local store and every store that does have it list it as low stock. Anyone else notice this?

I don't know if the game is selling well or there was a bit of a supply problem in my region, but something is up.

I couldnt order this game for pick up in store at Best Buy when I was preordering it so Im guessing they arent carrying the game in stores. I just went with Amazon.

dieter

Neo Member
I joined the xbox GAF League and gave it a quick go. I didn't realize that you don't get a second shot? That is actually pretty awesome that you only get a single attempt.

Clockwork5

Riding in the middle of the pack on the GAF PS4 league. Feeling ok about that but damn, some of you folks are fast. Didn't wreck at all in the first two stages and still finished about 30 sec behind the leaders in each stage. Some of you are a bit braver than myself :)

I just grabbed a logitech g29 and I cant seem to get driveclub to recognize it. What am i missing?

edit : nvm the hidden switch was in ps3 mode :(

GodofWine

Riding in the middle of the pack on the GAF PS4 league. Feeling ok about that but damn, some of you folks are fast. Didn't wreck at all in the first two stages and still finished about 30 sec behind the leaders in each stage. Some of you are a bit braver than myself :)

I just checked the leaderboards and I appear to be 1 of 5 people not using assists...Stability here I come.

Anyone see the quadcopter out on the course 'filming' the race, now thats detail

Klocker

man I have been playing rally games wrong my whole life I play them like track racing games.

The tutorials have Ireally helped me... also instead of using my 458 ferrari wheel im just using the controller with bonnet cam just so I can get a feel for how to shift the weight in the car anf to see what it does while I'm driving

I still suck but I am finally learning and understanding how to control the cars around These types of tracks. Eventually I will get back on the wheel an cockpit.

Pretty cool game I like the realism.

If you want to play mainly career events and aren't sure what car to buy, this guide here is rather nice; the guy seems to know what he's talking about and must have played this game a lot:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462311586

(in the videos of his test stage the co-driver really has problems to keep up with him, makes him sound like an auctioneer - constant stream of words)

Edit:
The tutorials have Ireally helped me... also instead of using my 458 ferrari wheel im just using the controller with bonnet cam just so I can get a feel for how to shift the weight in the car anf to see what it does while I'm driving.

Eventually I will get back on the wheel an cockpit.
Go for a heavy focus on self-aligning torque in the FFB settings, when you've decided you've mastered the rally-basics with the controller. It will help you feel, when to give in to the forces just a little to oscillate-stabilize the car (don't know the english word here) when coming out of a turn (or keep it straight on bumpy roads).

TEH-CJ

Banned
God damn the sound effects are amazing. Someone explain to me why only codemasters can nail audio?

Everyone was giving me shit when I was saying driveclub audio was crap. All car games should have audio like dirt rally.

U2NUMB

If you want to play mainly career events and aren't sure what car to buy, this guide here is rather nice; the guy seems to know what he's talking about and must have played this game a lot:

(in the videos of his test stage the co-driver really has problems to keep up with him, makes him sound like an auctioneer - constant stream of words)

Wow.. thanks for the link. Gonna bookmark this one.

I just checked the leaderboards and I appear to be 1 of 5 people not using assists...Stability here I come.

Anyone see the quadcopter out on the course 'filming' the race, now thats detail

Hey what's up man! That sounds cool! Think I'm gonna pick this up on Friday after work.

God damn the sound effects are amazing. Someone explain to me why only codemasters can nail audio?

Everyone was giving me shit when I was saying driveclub audio was crap. All car games should have audio like dirt rally.
Also, calling something about a game "crap" in the game's OT... not a good idea. And Driveclub's sound is not crap, it's just not particularly great either.

Listen to RaceRoom Racing Experience audio on youtube, maybe you'll change your mind ;)

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it: https://youtu.be/L4pu5iY_VRQ?t=13s

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Should I pick this up if I loved Dirt 2 and prefer arcade over simulator?

U2NUMB

Should I pick this up if I loved Dirt 2 and prefer arcade over simulator?

Honestly if you enjoy and want Dirt 2 WRC 5 is closer to that experience. Not as good but more along those lines. This game is a legit rally sim and not arcade like in any way.

I will say though if you put in the time and put aside your arcade roots you will start to really learn how fun a racing game can me. Trust me.. I was right where you are and love arcade rally games.

rivalchild

Neo Member
Did the PC league just there... Not the best, went off the road a few times and had to do one of the courses missing a back wheel. Can't wait to start chipping away at times though :D

I added a few folk from the PC leaderboard, hope you don't mind!

Klocker

Edit:

Go for a heavy focus on self-aligning torque in the FFB settings, when you've decided you've mastered the rally-basics with the controller. It will help you feel, when to give in to the forces just a little to oscillate-stabilize the car (don't know the english word here) when coming out of a turn (or keep it straight on bumpy roads).

Unfortunately the 458 has no ffb... which may be a disadvantage in this game I'm finding, compared to race track games

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I really like the new splash screens in the menus on the PC, I'm guessing they are from the console versions. Finland continues to be my bane though, I did a series there tonight and by the end of the stages I'm forced to drive like an old granny just to keep myself from destroying my own car! I mess up more in Finland than in any other area in this game...

Watevaman

So I won't be able to update the OT for a while it seems, as Steam is really messing up my download. If anyone can help me, here's my issue: internet at home is crap, so I downloaded all of Dirt Rally onto my laptop at work yesterday. I copied the Dirt Rally folder from my laptop over to my desktop at home after uninstalling my existing copy and deleting its folder. However, after "installing" Dirt Rally and it detecting my files, it's still saying I have to download 26 gigs worth of data. Also, in local files, it's saying I have "none" after disk usage despite me having a full 39 gig folder.

Any suggestions so I can get it working right and have the resources to update the OT?

Wow the game's campaign just get's better and better.

I love how much of a nice progression it is. It steadily gets harder and harder.

Flo_Evans

Damn I didn't realize the restarts were enabled on the ps4 league until after 3 events >_<

Tried the alpine, yeah it's fast but it's twitchy as hell! Think I would do better in my trusty Lancia.

Flo_Evans

I really like the new splash screens in the menus on the PC, I'm guessing they are from the console versions. Finland continues to be my bane though, I did a series there tonight and by the end of the stages I'm forced to drive like an old granny just to keep myself from destroying my own car! I mess up more in Finland than in any other area in this game...

Finland reminds me of the gravel roads around here - really fast but lots of trees. Also huge ditches on the side of the road to flip you over. Like this http://youtu.be/pIes390Dph8

Gravel is more medium like Greece though http://youtu.be/i9s7v-Y2eKk

Robaperas

The Alpine is really fast compared to the other 2 60's cars. I used the Mini in the league and ended up minutes from the top. :(

ElNino

I just signed up for the Xbox league. My GT is DblTap. This will be fun but I'm gonna suck bad. :)
I just did mine and really messed up the first and third stages. Considering it was only my second time trying the game, I'll take it a learning experience. First stage I simply crashed and had to take too many penalties and on the third stage I got stuck in a ditch and it took me a while to get out (it didn't give me an option to reset).

Still, I was fun.

Azzawon

The Alpine is really fast compared to the other 2 60's cars. I used the Mini in the league and ended up minutes from the top. :(

I'm so grateful the Alpine isn't allowed for the XB1 league :p

aslZu5R.png

This is what DiRT Rally is all about. So awesome.

Top Bottom