• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

GodofWine

In leagues, there is no way to rerun an event?, you basically get one shot at entering a final time?

I think you can only allow restarts I intra-event. Leaderboards are a little wonky, occasionally it loses my times, which is usually OK, because they sucked :( :)

My problem with the PC league) is, quite simply, I have zero chance of placing well with some of the drivers here on GAF. Sccrow consistantly gets over a minute better times on everything I race, and often it's much more than a minute better!

Yeah, I just ain't good enough. And since the multiplayer leagues don't earn you any money I'd just as soon race in the single player championships and very slowly unlock cars along the way. At least in the professional level championships I can come in around the middle of the pack or even sometimes better. :)

Oh I'm going to be in the same boat. It'll be nice to just switch things up occasionally in the league.

JamboGT

Am not sure, I think they can be setup different ways. No restarts at all and allowing restarts. maybe once a time is registered you can't go again?

I was expecting to get another go so was a bit careful on my run. Probably helped to be honest!

danowat

Banned
I think you can only allow restarts I intra-event. Leaderboards are a little wonky, occasionally it loses my times, which is usually OK, because they sucked :( :)

Am not sure, I think they can be setup different ways. No restarts at all and allowing restarts. maybe once a time is registered you can't go again?

I was expecting to get another go so was a bit careful on my run. Probably helped to be honest!

Yeah, I think you can set it up to allow stage restarts, but I don't think you can rerun the whole event again once you've submitted a time, I assumed you could run it as many tims as you wanted until the closing date.

Do you folks use the clutch? In most sim games I find that I don't need the clutch. However, in this game when you approach a hairpin, it seems necessary to engage the clutch:

-slow down
-turn in
-clutch on
-handbrake
-clutch off
-throttle

Am I doing this right or is that even necessary?

JamboGT

I haven't, but then I haven't even been using the handbrake, struggle with the button on the wheel, been trying to flick it in to instigate some oversteer to help instead.

danowat

Banned
I haven't, but then I haven't even been using the handbrake, struggle with the button on the wheel, been trying to flick it in to instigate some oversteer to help instead.

Same here, I only tend to use the handbrake if I've cocked up the entry to a corner (which happens plenty), it's not something I use as a matter of course.

Hedrush

Do you folks use the clutch? In most sim games I find that I don't need the clutch. However, in this game when you approach a hairpin, it seems necessary to engage the clutch:

-slow down
-turn in
-clutch on
-handbrake
-clutch off
-throttle

I don't use the clutch. I've been using the paddles on my wheel for gears and setting my handbrake button to gear 4 on my shifter. It works really well.

rivalchild

Neo Member
My problem with the PC league) is, quite simply, I have zero chance of placing well with some of the drivers here on GAF. Sccrow consistantly gets over a minute better times on everything I race, and often it's much more than a minute better!

Yeah, I just ain't good enough. And since the multiplayer leagues don't earn you any money I'd just as soon race in the single player championships and very slowly unlock cars along the way. At least in the professional level championships I can come in around the middle of the pack or even sometimes better. :)

I'm currently second last in the PC league (woo!) but I wouldn't let that bother you. It's just a bit of fun plus I think it'll be useful to see how my times compare once I get stuck into the game properly. You're never going to be bottom cause I've got that shit locked down!

EBreda

Ok, tried the XBox league, went down a precipice on second stage, got a DNF.
No option to retry.

This game is simply awesome.

danowat

Banned
Ok, tried the XBox league, went down a precipice on second stage, got a DNF.
No option to retry.

This game is simply awesome.

You-Died.jpg

My wife was working last night, so I had a bit of time to play, when she got home she remarked at how cold the house was, and why I hadn't put the heating on, I was sweating my nuts off because of the extreme concentration, and hadn't noticed how cold it was....

Haha yeah! My setup is in my basement and it can be a little chilly. I'll often throw a sweater on during normal gaming. I was in a t shirt and sweat pants and was hot as hell! Tonight I venture downstairs in shorts and no shirt lol.

Hell the wife is out tonight with friends. I may just hit up dirt rally in my tighty whiteys and shoes! (for pedals)

Hedrush

I turned on assists for both traction control and stability assist, I set both to a mid setting of 3 and I'm enjoying the driving a lot better. I will eventually turn them back off but for now they are staying on.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I turned on assists for both traction control and stability assist, I set both to a mid setting of 3 and I'm enjoying the driving a lot better. I will eventually turn them back off but for now they are staying on.

I've actually had all assists off since the early access on PC, I don't think I've ever even ran one race with them on yet?

Maybe I need to try them out, LOL.

I don't use the clutch. I've been using the paddles on my wheel for gears and setting my handbrake button to gear 4 on my shifter. It works really well.

How do you go through the hairpins quickly then?

After I apply the handbrake (even for a very short time) my car seems to stall almost to a stop sometimes. I watched a Colin M video where he uses the clutch so that this doesn't happen.

Do you all just use the Scandinavian flick method? I'm a bit shite at that.

legbone

-slow down
-turn in
-clutch on
-handbrake
-clutch off
-throttle

the way i do it, and i suck mind you, is pretty much what you are doing but no handbrake (unless i just have to, mostly on tarmac if i'm understeering too much going in). just kind of dump the clutch and get a little boost. try to get my rearend swinging around as the front wheels keep pulling. in rwd alpine i try to make more of a standard racing line and try not to let the rearend swing too much since it's so squirrelly to me at the moment. now keep in mind that i really suck but i have gone from fearing hairpins to looking forward to them to see if i can improve my technique. also, i run my brake bias to the rear so when i hit the brakes coming in it tends to start the rearend swinging a little.

i suck really bad so if anyone can give me some tips they would be appreciated.

JamboGT

It also depends on the surface, tarmac I generally just take a normal racing line, the slippery stuff it basically is a scandinavian flick.

legbone

yeah, i'll try a flick if i have enough room and am coming in at the right angle and not completely out of control (which is normally the case, lol).

Daigoro

holy shit today's daily with the Peugeot in the snow at night is fucking terrifying!

I kept downshifting into neutral because I felt like I was in sixth gear half the time lol. are you supposed to be able to get out of third gear on this stage?

christ!

After I apply the handbrake (even for a very short time) my car seems to stall almost to a stop sometimes. I watched a Colin M video where he uses the clutch so that this doesn't happen.

I try to do the Scandi flick but sometimes the roads are too damn narrow to get the car sideways or I just botch it.

I usually turn in, dab the handbrake to get the rear moving around, then hard on the gas to keep it moving through the corner.

But it just all depends on the surface, angle, etc, etc.

Hedrush

I've actually had all assists off since the early access on PC, I don't think I've ever even ran one race with them on yet?

Honestly give it a try its a lot easier to control the car, you still need full concentration and you will crash out at times just not as much.

Pulling off a handbrake turn into a hairpin its still hard, I can pull it off by turning in, applying the handbrake, praying, then giving it some gas. 6 times out of 10 I'll mess up and roll to a halt. Also I guess it depends on the surface and how narrow the track is. The handbrake turn is a steep learning curve in this game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

lol I thought I was the only one to be a man and turn them all off. But on a controller it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep on the track. Once you hit like 70MPH the car will just bounce around everywhere and it seems like the framerate goes "double-time" on PC (for me) and makes things faster/harder to react to.

lol I thought I was the only one to be a man and turn them all off. But on a controller it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep on the track. Once you hit like 70MPH the car will just bounce around everywhere and it seems like the framerate goes "double-time" on PC (for me) and makes things faster/harder to react to.

Yeah, that seems to be when I crash the most....long straights. I try to make small adjustments due to bumps and stuff to keep the car tracking the way I want to but they always result in tank-slapper swerving until I crash.

Onemic

I think Im gonna return the T300 and all the other peripherals I got. Just thinking about the time I'll devote to using it, the investment is way too high. I have till May 4th to return it though, so I guess I'll make use of it till the end of this weekend and then return all the stuff to Amazon.

The whole thing is pretty amazing though. The T3PA-pro pedals and shifter are damn impressive.

legbone

just joined the gaf league. got 8th on the first stage at wales (damn i love the scenery but i hate driving it) and fourth on the second stage in germany in the rain. only the second time i have raced that german track also. this is going to be fun.

also, tried out the stratos and damn, that thing is something else. a fight to keep it on the road. i love that car but may have to run something else to be competitive.

legbone

How is Dirt Rally with the controller? Should I even bother?

i'm running a controller and it's no prob. straight out of the box it feels fine. i set my sensitivity to 80 and my linearity to 10 (as recommended in the thread here, actually 90 but i'm liking 80) and it's like butter. frozen slab of butter smacking you in the head every so many meters but still butter nonetheless. no, really, it's fine with a controller. beats the shit out of project cars in that sense. i still can't play that game with a controller. glad i only spent like ten bucks on it.

edit: sorry about the double post.

danowat

Banned
In terms of controller settings, I think 80 sensitivity and 10 linearity is a bit too touchy and you end up fighting the stick to keep the car straight, I am using 60 sensitivity and 40 linearity and that seems to work pretty well.

Thank You guys, if it's better than Project CARS then that's what I wanted to hear. Are there any good settings for xbox one controller or they pretty much universal and I can use the ones from post above?

legbone

Thank You guys, if it's better than Project CARS then that's what I wanted to hear. Are there any good settings for xbox one controller or they pretty much universal and I can use the ones from post above?

it is way better than pcars. like night and day. once you get the feel of dirt rally it becomes one of the most rewarding things in the world to run a clean stage.

legbone

oh i see. some must have updated. haven't checked since lunch break. i thought you had a very comfortable position over second place.

JamboGT

Yeah, I know there is a lot of time left, I was very careful most of the time so not too fast and then had a couple of spins on one stage. Should probably not have done it in the one go :/

Top Bottom