• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Put a total of 10 hours into the game now. I'm making massing improvements. I am getting more comfortable with staying on the throttle and using the sliding weight shifting as my "brakes."

Also, a big thing that I'm learning is while you are applying a hand brake, it's good to keep the throttle engaged to prevent you from stalling through a corner.

dieter

Neo Member
Is it just me or is the Lancia Stratos completely impossible to control (at least with the controller)? I went as far as to enable all assists for it (normally I drive without traction and stability control), but still I can't seem to get it through a corner without losing the back. No matter how easy I go on the throttle it just seems like it is too much. I should probably look at turning down the throttle sensitivity, but it seems a bit crazy.

Other cars seem fine so far, so maybe I just can't deal with the mid engine weight distro, but I was wondering if anyone else had any issues? Any recommendations?

JamboGT

Is it just me or is the Lancia Stratos completely impossible to control (at least with the controller)? I went as far as to enable all assists for it (normally I drive without traction and stability control), but still I can't seem to get it through a corner without losing the back. No matter how easy I go on the throttle it just seems like it is too much. I should probably look at turning down the throttle sensitivity, but it seems a bit crazy.

Other cars seem fine so far, so maybe I just can't deal with the mid engine weight distro, but I was wondering if anyone else had any issues? Any recommendations?

I haven't tried it but in every other game other than Sega Rally that thing is a nightmare.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's a very powerful car. You kinda want to drive "gently." Don't hard accelerate and just let it's momentum carry you.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Honestly if you enjoy and want Dirt 2 WRC 5 is closer to that experience. Not as good but more along those lines. This game is a legit rally sim and not arcade like in any way.

I will say though if you put in the time and put aside your arcade roots you will start to really learn how fun a racing game can me. Trust me.. I was right where you are and love arcade rally games.

Well, I couldn't stand 5 races in Driveclub and never played it again, and it's not really a simulator, I think.
So maybe I'll have to pass on Dirt Rally.

terrible

Banned
Top tip, don't believe the thread, Don't cut, be cowardly! Am top but I think it is because I was careful, nothing to do with going overly fast :)

Just don't be as cowardly as me. I'm pretty sure I could get out of my car and push it around hairpins faster than I can drive around them.

dieter

Neo Member
Top tip, don't believe the thread, Don't cut, be cowardly! Am top but I think it is because I was careful, nothing to do with going overly fast :)

Haha, sounds like me. Not sure I made it out of 2nd gear on the daily live online event at all, and I was impressed to find that I'm in the top tier so far.

UGH. I'm noticing the co-pilot's callouts can be utter RUBBISH.

I'm having a perfect run and he says "left 5 over crest" and as I come around the corner it's definitely more like a freaking left 3. I crash and ruin my time.

Jackass.

Played this on a PS4 with a wheel and chair at Car Throttle today. Astonishing. So real.

Not quite sure how I'm going to make the purchase of all that gear for with a newborn but I'm going to try.

JamboGT

Nice footage from the NW. I live on the Temple 100 track, which was stopped after our neighbour and dear friend, Philip Conroy, became the 4th fatality in 10 years, back in '99.

Keep her lit JamboGT.

I used to work in Joeys and went to all the races when I was a kid, amazing but scary sport :)

legbone

damn, hammerstein on the ps4 league event just kicked my ass. three spins, two bad hairpins, and an abyssmal performance (we're talking slam the breaks slide straight into a shit load of rocks bad) on the final acute turn right before the finish.

on a positive note i finally made it to the club level or whatever it is called (the second one). took me two tries with a shit load of custom championships to upgrade cars etc. here i come 70's cars. wish i didn't love the stratos so much.

Bought the game, still downloading but I was able to do some races while is installing. First achievement, rolled your car, landed on your wheel and carried on lol Game is brutal, but that's how I like it. it was a long time since I got to play a challenging racing game.

Now I need some good controller settings for xbox one ;)

Lima

This game is awesome. Is this the first time dirt rally has taken the sim approach?

If we are just talking DiRT then yes. The other ones ranged from sim-arcade mix to full on arcade.

But their heritage is Colin McRae Rally which was pretty much sim or at least worked with what was possible at the time.

Edit:

Also this fucking game man. I expected it to be good and hook me but not like this. NOT LIKE THIS.

Sini

If we are just talking DiRT then yes. The other ones ranged from sim-arcade mix to full on arcade.

But their heritage is Colin McRae Rally which was pretty much sim or at least worked with what was possible at the time.
Old CMR games had less realistic physics than Dirt games so I wouldn't say they were as close to sim.

hunchback

Ok, tried the XBox league, went down a precipice on second stage, got a DNF.
No option to retry.

This game is simply awesome.

Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing on my Xbox league run. We'll get better as we learn the stages and how to handle the cars better.

Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing on my Xbox league run. We'll get better as we learn the stages and how to handle the cars better.

I did the same as well. Resumed from my ps4 and somehow it changed the controls on my g29 wheel. Exited out to check what was going on and realized I couldnt restart the race.

Lima

Was setting a leading pace by far in the Xbox league, then flew off the edge in Monte Carlo.
The worst part? I've had my runs ended from the same exact corner twice before this; I just somehow never learn from it.

I know exactly which part you talking about. Ended my run there too. You and me both brother.

Shaneus

Anybody tested this with the Gimx G27 wheel on PS4?
Is there a demo for this? I'd be happy to try it out, but don't need to buy it as I have it on PC.

Are the leagues cross-platform at all? Would be great if that were the case (esp. with the latest thing about MS and cross-platform multi).

Top Bottom