• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Flo_Evans

Gah I was thinking "I've made a huge mistake" with the wheel then I noticed the in game wheel was barely turning when I was turning the wheel. Had to knock down the saturation to like 30% to get it close to rally car lock to lock. MUCH better but still slower than I was doing on the controller.

Oh my god

I just managed to afford the Suburu Impreza in the R4 class.

It's literally like a different game.

This truly is the rally game we need, but not the one we deserve. Praise be.

Bollocks

wow that daily, took my time though since I can't see shit and I would constantly drift off the road if I was going full throttle.

So can someone give me some pointers on 1600cc rally cross? Im running the Renault and no matter how I set up the car Im getting out dragged off the line and I cant manage better than 4th. I think Im running decent laps too but this just seems way harder than the club rally championship.

GodofWine

I reran the ps4 league event under my alt account, and shaved a little over 2 minutes. Luckily my alt matches my name here, so that will be me moving forward (TheGodOfWine), makes sense for this league.

It gave me hope that there may be a lot more speed hidden (really hidden) in me.

xrnzaaas

I have no idea what I'm doing ;p

111rusfn.jpg

Denur

So can someone give me some pointers on 1600cc rally cross? Im running the Renault and no matter how I set up the car Im getting out dragged off the line and I cant manage better than 4th. I think Im running decent laps too but this just seems way harder than the club rally championship.
Keep trying with that car until you get enough points to get your first car upgrade. This upgrade will give advanced setup options. With that you can set the gears to much shorter, which in turn will help you to get much faster of the starting line.

danowat

Banned
3 seconds off winning the Swedish Rally on the Clubman level with the Fiat 131, 3 seconds, 3.......damn.........seconds........

It was intense, I actually seem to do fairly well at Sweden now, much of it seems to be down to learning the tracks, because the co-driver calls are......lets say......somewhat inconsistent..

I wish there were more Rally cross cars, maybe some more classics, or at least some RWD ones.

Bedlam

This games is unplayable with analoge sticks. WTF?!
I thought so too at first but one suggestion in this thread changed everything: set sensitivity to 100 and linearity to 10. So glad I read that, so thanks to whoever suggested this setting! :D

The difference is so huge that I almost think CM screwed up by not making those settings the default for the controller.

Also, I had to forget how I approached the older Dirt games control wise. No more super brake, for example. You really have to think ahead and not just go full throttle all the time. Tough learning curve but also very rewarding.

Yeah, some of the snow tracks are hard. It's easy to hit the sides and instantly spin out, or slow way down.
This made me go crazy last night.

danowat

Banned
This games is unplayable with analoge sticks. WTF?!

Nah, it's not at all, you're just not very good at it ;-)

I thought so too at first but one suggestion in this thread changed everything: set sensitivity to 100 and linearity to 10. So glad I read that, so thanks to whoever suggested this setting! :D

The difference is so huge that I almost think CM screwed up by not making those settings the default for the controller.

Also, I had to forget how I approached the older Dirt games control wise. No more super brake, for example. You really have to think ahead and not just go full throttle all the time. Tough learning curve but also very rewarding.

I still think 100 / 10 is way, way too touchy, might give it another try later, but I've settled on 60 / 40.

And yeah, it's one of the biggest departures from circuit racing, in circuit racing you set the car up for the upcoming corner, in rallying you need to set the car up for two corners ahead, so you really need to think differently, I've been circuit racing for a long long time, so the change is hard, but I am getting there.

But man, those patches of ice on Monte Carlo........

Also, a bit of a nitpick, I wish the replays were better, the angles are very limited, and I would prefer an external TV style camera that was always on, rather than the continually switching views which we currently have, like I said, bit of a nitpick, but it would be nice to have.

Flo_Evans

Anyone got any wheel recommendations for ps4? I have been looking at the t150, but I've never had one before.

It's a nice wheel. Nicer than the driving force pro I had for PS3. You just missed the Amazon sale it was $150 though :(

http://youtu.be/MJoZyCWUhDs These dudes have the most indepth reviews of racing wheels. See also thier video choosing a ps4 wheel http://youtu.be/J0wouW_XxPI

You are also going to need something solid to mount it to. I have it mounted on one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYM96A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's pretty solid but a little flexy when you really get on it.

Having force feedback and being able to feel the tires is a whole other level... If you play allot of racing games it's really a worthwhile investment.

Freeman76

On my way to Sainsburies, £42 in my pocket, bring on that 'wrestle with myself' over whether to buy or not, knowing DS3 may be here tomorrow. Expensive hobby

Bedlam

Also, a bit of a nitpick, I wish the replays were better, the angles are very limited, and I would prefer an external TV style camera that was always on, rather than the continually switching views which we currently have, like I said, bit of a nitpick, but it would be nice to have.
Yup, I want a purely cinematic camera setting for the replays as well. The switch into the cockpit with the guy talking is really jarring. A setting for purely taking in the beautiful landscapes etc. would be nice.

On my way to Sainsburies, £42 in my pocket, bring on that 'wrestle with myself' over whether to buy or not, knowing DS3 may be here tomorrow. Expensive hobby
I'm getting DS3 as well and I justified buying Dirt Rally by knowing that I will play this game for many months and probably years to come. It's a good investment as far as my hobby is concerned and I also want to send the signal that we want pure Rally games from CM.

Have they said anything about expansions btw? There's a severe lack of Australia in this game. ;)

danowat

Banned
I would imagine this link has been posted before, and it's not updated for the latest version, but I think it's worth posting again as it gives a lot of information about the cars, and new and old players can get a lot from it (IMO), plus the videos have some pretty good driving in them.....

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462311586

Glad it confirmed my feelings that the RS500 is an understeery P.O.S. out of the box!

Hedrush

I had a nightmare on the two snow tracks last night, so hard. Im currently 31st.

I still cant decide what view i prefer. On one hand i love the chasecam with the DS4 and in the other i love the dashcam with three wheel.

Azzawon

Really not enjoying the Lancia 037 Evo 2 with a pad. It's so floaty in today's online event, difficult to keep it pointing the right direction.

danowat

Banned
I had a nightmare on the two snow tracks last night, so hard. Im currently 31st.

I still cant decide what view i prefer. On one hand i love the chasecam with the DS4 and in the other i love the dashcam with three wheel.

I don't know how people can drive with the chasecam, just feels so utterly bizarre to me, but each to their own.

Headcam is the most immersive, but I also think it's quite restrictive, and I can't drive as fast, Bonnet cam is the quickest for me, but you lose a lot of immersion with it, Dashcam is a comfortable compromise between the two, quicker than headcam, more immersion than bonnet cam.

Really not enjoying the Lancia 037 Evo 2 with a pad. It's so floaty in today's online event, difficult to keep it pointing the right direction.

What pad settings?, hardest car to drive in the game apparently.

KORNdoggy

question to those that have it. does it feel like there is enough content here? track and car wise for a full price release?

also. i assume the game has rain with the accompanying windshield effects that go with it? (always bothered me that the past DiRT games didn't even though the PS2 colin mcrae games did)

i'm super tempted by this, but the challenge of it worries me slightly. lol

cheers

danowat

Banned
question to those that have it. does it feel like there is enough content here? track and car wise for a full price release?

also. i assume the game has rain with the accompanying windshield effects that go with it? (always bothered me that the past DiRT games didn't even though the PS2 colin mcrae games did)

i'm super tempted by this, but the challenge of it worries me slightly. lol

cheers

Do I think there is enough content for the sticker price......hmmm......I'm going to say yes, now obviously it doesn't have the "400+ CARS" banner of games like GT and Forza, but each car is meticulously created, and they all feel genuinely different, and each one needs quite a number of hours in it to get the most out of each car.

The same goes for tracks,but the environments are diverse enough to mean that every one needs a different driving style to tackle it.

Would I like more content?, well, if they ever released DLC, I'd be all over it, but the vanilla product has a lot of hours worth of driving in it, some desert stages would have been nice, Australia or Africa.

Yes, there is rain and windshield affects, but the weather is fixed, and isn't dynamic.

It's hard, properly hard, you will crash, you will feel like you can't drive straight but it takes patience and practice, and you will get better, although each new class of cars feels like going back to square one again after getting comfortable with the preceding class!

Hedrush

I don't know how people can drive with the chasecam, just feels so utterly bizarre to me, but each to their own.

Headcam is the most immersive, but I also think it's quite restrictive, and I can't drive as fast, Bonnet cam is the quickest for me, but you lose a lot of immersion with it, Dashcam is a comfortable compromise between the two, quicker than headcam, more immersion than bonnet cam.

Yeah, i get what your saying. It did feel odd to start with but im quite comfortable with it now. Id say I've probably used dashcam a bit more but im happier and more comfortable now with chasecam whilst using the DS4.

MMaRsu

I have it set to default and am perfectly able to win races with a controller tho :/. Wondering if I change it now ill fuck up my racing flow

KORNdoggy

Do I think there is enough content for the sticker price......hmmm......I'm going to say yes, now obviously it doesn't have the "400+ CARS" banner of games like GT and Forza, but each car is meticulously created, and they all feel genuinely different, and each one needs quite a number of hours in it to get the most out of each car.

The same goes for tracks,but the environments are diverse enough to mean that every one needs a different driving style to tackle it.

Would I like more content?, well, if they ever released DLC, I'd be all over it, but the vanilla product has a lot of hours worth of driving in it, some desert stages would have been nice, Australia or Africa.

Yes, there is rain and windshield affects, but the weather is fixed, and isn't dynamic.

It's hard, properly hard, you will crash, you will feel like you can't drive straight but it takes patience and practice, and you will get better, although each new class of cars feels like going back to square one again after getting comfortable with the preceding class!

hmmm, i might give it a shot. i guess if it's so hard that a feel like i'm never going to progress or "git gud" i could sell it.

MMaRsu

hmmm, i might give it a shot. i guess if it's so hard that a feel like i'm never going to progress or "git gud" i could sell it.

Its really not that hard if you've played rally games before this one. Choose the Renault Alpine as your starting car, its the best of the three imo. Ive been mostly in the top 3 in championship events, coming in first quite often. I only play with a DS4, and I am loving this game.

Content wise I think its worth the price, I only paid 47 euros for it though and I got a CollinMcRae bluray with it too.

danowat

Banned
Its really not that hard if you've played rally games before this one.

I dunno, I played a lot of RBR back in the day, and I find DR needs more attention, focus and concentration, or it could be that I am just that much more older than I was back then!

GodofWine

I'm the contrarian on the controller settings, sensitivity down to 20 (!) , but deadzone to 5. I feel I'm way way less twitchy.

codemasters have always had issues with replay cameras using way too many camera bolted to the car angles when it really never needs them at all, more external cameras please codies!!!

MMaRsu

What kind of car classes are you guys focussing on first? Is it smart to buy a 1970's car after you've finished a championship with a 60's car? The only car I like there handling wise is the Fiat Abarth.

By the way do you all play with or without traction and stability control? It was off on default so I just left it off.

KORNdoggy

codemasters have always had issues with replay cameras using way too many camera bolted to the car angles when it really never needs them at all, more external cameras please codies!!!

i love cameras where it's like a helicopter is chasing and you get to see the awesome dust clouds behind your car and vast terrain. i'd watch replays of the first WRC over and over just for that. it would play "shut your mouth" by garbage too which made it all the better.

Freeman76

Fuck me. This is awesome but damn, i drove like my nan for the first 2 races and surprisingly came third in both.

At one point i was expecting my co-driver to say "60 left dont cu......you know what fuck it stop the car you cant drive for shit"

Makikou

Happy to tell you guys that next week the NeoGAF League over on PC will be run by me according to what the PS4 league is doing aswell. Scrcrw (i hope i got that right) gave me admin privileges for this.

Me & Danowat are currently planning the next rally that would begin on Sunday Evening.

This time with hopefully functioning restarts..

Of course suggestions are taken, especially on how many stages you guys want on one event but also everything else.

Shadybiz

1:30. That's what time I was up until last night, playing this game. I have the day off today though, so it was worth it. Just messed around with the first few career races. Didn't do THAT bad..but had my share of falling off a mountain. Will try out the PS4 league event now that I'm sort of getting the hang of the controls.

i love cameras where it's like a helicopter is chasing and you get to see the awesome dust clouds behind your car and vast terrain. i'd watch replays of the first WRC over and over just for that. it would play "shut your mouth" by garbage too which made it all the better.
v-rally 2 on PlayStation had some amazing dust clouds, I loved watching the replays in that.

not the DC or PC version though they removed a lot of the dust effect and ruined it

terrible

Banned
Happy to tell you guys that next week the NeoGAF League over on PC will be run by me according to what the PS4 league is doing aswell. Scrcrw (i hope i got that right) gave me admin privileges for this.

Me & Danowat are currently planning the next rally that would begin on Sunday Evening.

Of course suggestions are taken, especially on how many stages you guys want on one event but also everything else.

I'm really surprised they haven't made the leagues multiplatform themselves. I can already tell I'm going to be permanently at the bottom of the PC league leaderboards considering I'm minutes off the pace rather than seconds.

Robaperas

Variety is always nice, a change of surfaces after a few stages keeps you on your toes.

Top Bottom