• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Would I like more content?, well, if they ever released DLC, I'd be all over it, but the vanilla product has a lot of hours worth of driving in it, some desert stages would have been nice, Australia or Africa.
Yeah I'd pay 10$ for every country added. They said it's difficult to add DLC with this old engine but I hope they reconsider.

Man, I'm so glad I bought the game. Love the car selection and stages, driving feels really good too. I tried different controller settings and after many runs I finally set them to 80/20 with no assissts and it looks like a sweet spot for me.

To people wondering about difficulty, the game can be hard at the beggining, as can be any racing game, but once you get use to handling you'll be just fine. It's more like traditional CMR games than RBR. First 3 races I came 5, next 2 races I was second and never lost since then. So don't be scared, give it a chance and you will love it.

This game deserves every sale, if you were dying to play classic Colin McRae game this is the game to go with, cause it won't get better than this.

Buy the shit out of this game people, so we can have a sequel ;)

Daigoro

Sensitivity 35, linearity 55. I gave it a quick tweak on release but never really put time into tuning it!
are those the settings oure using in general or just for the sratos? use use those for the league runs?

while we're at it, what assists do you have on, if any?

Azzawon

are those the settings oure using in general or just for the sratos? use use those for the league runs?

while we're at it, what assists do you have on, if any?

They're my settings for everything, yeah. I used them in the league runs too. However I've just this minute changed to 30 sens and 70 lin and it feels a bit better for me!

All assists off, except HUD which I keep on!

Daigoro

They're my settings for everything, yeah. I used them in the league runs too. However I've just this minute changed to 30 sens and 70 lin and it feels a bit better for me!

OK good to know thx. I swear everyone suggests totall different sensitivities.

I'm experimenting myself a lot over the last few days. gonna keep tweaking.

Freeman76

After an online or league event it doesnt load the times for me unless i start to scroll down, is this the same for any of you?

Makikou

I think it's academic, because I don't think it's an option.

It should be an option. There's an option called Event Restart which should reset your progress if you choose to use it and restarts the whole rally.

Now, i wouldn't rule out this being a bug that it doesn't work on PS4, since it atleast HAS worked on PC.

To counter this we can either run Stage Retry or just have no retry/restart options at all.

Also we're thinking 4 stages and i'm thinking a checkpoint on 3rd stage.

How would everyone feel about having a Service Area either:
A) Every Stage
B) Every 2nd Stage

For Vehicle Tuning i'm thinking 1st stage and 3rd.

danowat

Banned
It should be an option. There's an option called Event Restart which should reset your progress if you choose to use it and restarts the whole rally.

Now, i wouldn't rule out this being a bug that it doesn't work on PS4, since it atleast HAS worked on PC.

To counter this we can either run Stage Retry or just have no retry/restart options at all.

Also we're thinking 4 stages and i'm thinking a checkpoint on 3rd stage.

How would everyone feel about having a Service Area either:
A) Every Stage
B) Every 2nd Stage

For Vehicle Tuning i'm thinking 1st stage and 3rd.

I had it selected for this weeks PS4 league and it doesn't work, maybe it's a bug.

That said, I am erring on the side of not allowing any restarts or retries, at all.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
going back to the mini after advancing in the career and using more modern cars is so hard. there is so much understear! why do so many racers start you with some of the hardest cars to drive? i know they are slower, but that doesnt mean easier...

MMaRsu

going back to the mini after advancing in the career and using more modern cars is so hard. there is so much understear! why do so many racers start you with some of the hardest cars to drive? i know they are slower, but that doesnt mean easier...

Yeah the mini sucks but the renault alpine is pretty awesome imo

Flo_Evans

I always leave all assists off in racing games. I want to feel the simulation of driving cars flat out without the worry of crashing and dying.

If you are just trying to "win" sure they can help you but I like it raw. Let me know how bad I suck so I can get better.

Bought the Subaru last night, I was actually doing better in club difficulty with that car then I was with the 70s cars in open. Then this happened http://youtu.be/280AI6DmC3E I meant to do that! Haha

Robaperas

I think is fair to have restarts on PS4/XB1 (for now), most of the players are new to the game and it'll make it less frustrating, and more of a learning experience.

xrnzaaas

Yep I think restarts should stay for the time being so that people will have a chance to get better at the game without having to avoid league rallies. After that I'd vote for not allowing any restarts at all. One chance to complete the entire event (much like the challenges). :)

DD

Is it just me or is the Lancia Stratos completely impossible to control (at least with the controller)? I went as far as to enable all assists for it (normally I drive without traction and stability control), but still I can't seem to get it through a corner without losing the back. No matter how easy I go on the throttle it just seems like it is too much. I should probably look at turning down the throttle sensitivity, but it seems a bit crazy.

Other cars seem fine so far, so maybe I just can't deal with the mid engine weight distro, but I was wondering if anyone else had any issues? Any recommendations?

The Stratos is awosome once you get the hangs of it. It seems you haven't tried the Lancia 037 yet, to know what a real nightmare is... =B

I'm Currently the fastest Canadian in the PC GAF league.
I'm the only Canadian on the leaderboard.

You're terrible.

Sorry.

I'm for no restarts ever. But have a tight schedule so you get another chance in a new event soon (at least as long as the game is still fresh and lots of people are playing it on a daily basis).

GodofWine

I agree with the low sensitivity, people going to 100 I just can't imagine how they aren't spastic on straights, or fight "tank slappers" . I'm at 20 with low deadzone.

Flo_Evans

I'm for no restarts ever. But have a tight schedule so you get another chance in a new event soon (at least as long as the game is still fresh and lots of people are playing it on a daily basis).

Agree... you can probably still game it though by quitting the game and reloading.

In theory it makes "slow and steady" a more valid strat if you have to deal with crashes/mistakes/punctures as they come. The fastest people will still be at the top but it should mix it up more.

GodofWine

Agree... you can probably still game it though by quitting the game and reloading.

In theory it makes "slow and steady" a more valid strat if you have to deal with crashes/mistakes/punctures as they come. The fastest people will still be at the top but it should mix it up more.

Agreed, it will cause the occasional tortoise beats hare scenario.

danowat

Banned

I agree, it also negates the fact that some people have more time to be able to run the event over and over again.

Plus, it's more in the spirit of the game!

I agree with the low sensitivity, people going to 100 I just can't imagine how they aren't spastic on straights, or fight "tank slappers" . I'm at 20 with low deadzone.

yeah, I am accustomed in Forza Motorsport to turn them up to 100 right away with really small deadzones...but in the case here my first night was really rough just keeping it on course with a similar 100 - 10 slider setup. took it down a bit, still finding the balance. Spent a lot of time overcooking and over correcting, and esp in higher powered RWD setups it was just rough.

Game is so brutal, but so satisfying.

Thread is long, but gotta praise the sound design. crunchy, pop-filled exhaust notes, great gravel noise, when you do get in trouble the impact noises can startle you.

Console racing is so sterile, esp. Forza by comparison. love this. Game is honestly bringing me back into the racing genre after getting pretty tired of the Forza formula over the years.

Bobnob

Is there any option to make a multiplayer rally ??? i only see rallycross options, and if not could we see multiplayer rally in a update ???

Shadybiz

35th in the PS4 GAF league, lol. Would have been a bit better, but the 3rd stage was freakin' brutal for me. Ironically, it's the stage with perfectly clear weather and all asphalt and concrete. I had to reset the car I think 3 times, so I lost a ton of time on that.

Freakin' love this game, though. 3 hours just went by like it was nothing. Most fun I've had with a racer in quite some time!

fuck this fucking Xbox controller and the fucking bullshit disconnect trash. FUCK

Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Played some rally last night and im really getting used to using a wheel. I'm working on the weekly right now and finished my last 2 races without a single crash!

Makikou

Played some rally last night and im really getting used to using a wheel. I'm working on the weekly right now and finished my last 2 races without a single crash!

What FFB settings are you using? DiRT Rally FFB settings are.. troubling at default.

With Thrustmaster wheels what i've found good is this, T300RS as basis so T150 you need to up stuff a little bit.. 500RS might even take down a notch.

Self Aligning Torque: 70% (Pretty much overall strength)
Wheel Friction: 0% (fake effect)
Tyre Friction: 70% (quite important effect)
Suspension: 50%
Tyre Slip: 0% (fake effect)
Collision: 0% (Personal Preference, fairly obvious what it does when you hit a tree)
Soft Lock: 40-100% (personal preference if you use soft lock)
Steering Center Force: 90% (again, personal preference)

Console versions also seem to have an effect called Engine. This is a completely fake effect so might aswell put it to 0% aswell.
Had a friend try these yesterday with his T150 and he said that the wheel feels completely different, feels much more alive.

xrnzaaas

35th in the PS4 GAF league, lol. Would have been a bit better, but the 3rd stage was freakin' brutal for me. Ironically, it's the stage with perfectly clear weather and all asphalt and concrete. I had to reset the car I think 3 times, so I lost a ton of time on that.

Freakin' love this game, though. 3 hours just went by like it was nothing. Most fun I've had with a racer in quite some time!

Most of the Germany special stages are very tricky, because they have tons of hairpins or 90 degree corners and you can never cut. ;)

Mikeside

I decided to use this game to break in the Driving Force GT I bought on ebay.

wow, this game is kicking my butt.
Any tips for somebody new to the joys of wheel setup gaming?

Daigoro

its cocksucking motherfuckiing horeshit.

I feel that way.

Flo_Evans

Best thing I did was go to cockpit mode, watch how much the steering wheel is turning in relation to your wheel. Adjust until it is going the about the same rate. You really don't want to have to crank the wheel around 2 times to make a hairpin and you want somewhat quick steering for corrections.

Is anyone playing XBONE version? I wonder if trigger vibration is adding anything. Is it as good as Forza 6? If it is implemented well I would pick this over PS4 version...

Makikou

Is anyone playing XBONE version? I wonder if trigger vibration is adding anything. Is it as good as Forza 6? If it is implemented well I would pick this over PS4 version...

Apparently it's barely there and really not implemented so not worth going for just that feature, i've been told.

What FFB settings are you using? DiRT Rally FFB settings are.. troubling at default.

With Thrustmaster wheels what i've found good is this, T300RS as basis so T150 you need to up stuff a little bit.. 500RS might even take down a notch.

Self Aligning Torque: 70% (Pretty much overall strength)
Wheel Friction: 0% (fake effect)
Tyre Friction: 70% (quite important effect)
Suspension: 50%
Tyre Slip: 0% (fake effect)
Collision: 0% (Personal Preference, fairly obvious what it does when you hit a tree)
Soft Lock: 40-100% (personal preference if you use soft lock)
Steering Center Force: 90% (again, personal preference)

Console versions also seem to have an effect called Engine. This is a completely fake effect so might aswell put it to 0% aswell.
Had a friend try these yesterday with his T150 and he said that the wheel feels completely different, feels much more alive.

Thanks for the tips. I'm using a logitech g29 with the default "logitech" settings. The wheel is really hard to turn and I'm no small guy. It reminds me of driving a car without power steering. I havnt played enough races to figure out what I want to tweak. I should have some good game time Saturday to play around and report back.

Makikou

Thanks for the tips. I'm using a logitech g29 with the default "logitech" settings. The wheel is really hard to turn and I'm no small guy. It reminds me of driving a car without power steering. I havnt played enough races to figure out what I want to tweak. I should have some good game time Saturday to play around and report back.

Try the settings mate, i'll try to find out some recommended Logitech settings on PC community and if they differ a lot, i'll PM it to you.

Yeah, I'm playing on x1 and honestly couldn't feel anything. It might be, cause I'm really use to the controller so I don't even notice it anymore, but I think trigger feature is simply not there. Will double check when I get home and will let u know.

Apparently it's barely there and really not implemented so not worth going for just that feature, i've been told.

Yeah, I'm playing on x1 and honestly couldn't feel anything. It might be, cause I'm really use to the controller so I don't even notice it anymore, but I think trigger deature is simply not there. Qill fouble check when I get home and will let u know.

Thanks!

Kind of crazy that more developers don't use this feature. In Forza 6 it made a huge impact on my driving...

Daigoro

Thanks!

Kind of crazy that more developers don't use this feature. In Forza 6 it made a huge impact on my driving...
it's there. I actually noticed it today which I rarely do, probably because I'm really concentrating on throttle control.this game demands it. gotta break the habit of jamming down the throttle like I do in arcade games.

Bobnob

Im new to a wheel myself and unsure if custom wheel settings do anything because everything feels the same to me no matter what i do, so im just sticking with it getting better but struggling with handbraking.Really there should be a option for handbrake pressure in the tuning menu.

stick with it

Mikeside

Best thing I did was go to cockpit mode, watch how much the steering wheel is turning in relation to your wheel. Adjust until it is going the about the same rate. You really don't want to have to crank the wheel around 2 times to make a hairpin and you want somewhat quick steering for corrections.

Excellent advice, thanks - do I adjust that setting in-game, or in the wheel setup app thing?

Also, what do you guys recommend for binding handbrake to? Should I be using it much in a game like this?

I was pretty good at DIRT 2 and Forza 4, but I've never really played a sim racing game before, so this is all pretty new to me.

Did the Greece 4 race group last night and got 5th on 3 races and 6th on the 2nd race. Not great, but better than I thought I'd do.

Im new to a wheel myself and unsure if custom wheel settings do anything because everything feels the same to me no matter what i do, so im just sticking with it getting better but struggling with handbraking.Really there should be a option for handbrake pressure in the tuning menu.

stick with it

Cheers for the support - What are you using for the handbrake?

Makikou

stick with it

Try the settings i suggested a few posts above mate :)

Excellent advice, thanks - do I adjust that setting in-game, or in the wheel setup app thing?

Also, what do you guys recommend for binding handbrake to? Should I be using it much in a game like this?

I was pretty good at DIRT 2 and Forza 4, but I've never really played a sim racing game before, so this is all pretty new to me.

Did the Greece 4 race group last night and got 5th on 3 races and 6th on the 2nd race. Not great, but better than I thought I'd do.
He is telling you to set your wheel degrees to 270 (which is max the game can show in animation).

I'd personally suggest 540. 270 is way, way too fast. So if you have 900 degs set in your wheel drivers, just adjust Steering Saturation to 60% (so 60% of 900 is 540.)

On DFGT i recommend using it on the sequental stick shifter and having your gears on the paddle buttons behind the wheel!

it's there. I actually noticed it today which I rarely do, probably because I'm really concentrating on throttle control.this game demands it. gotta break the habit of jamming down the throttle like I do in arcade games.

It really depends on how it's implemented though. In Forza it gives you feedback when your car is about to spun out of control or if you are accelerating too fast. It sounds like in Dirt is not as pronounced.

I played quite a few other racing games on xbox and none of them had it implemented well.

Top Bottom