• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Man the AI times for Pikes Peak are fucked on Master difficulty.

It just happens that today is a Hillclimb daily. My time of 9:10 is good enough for leaderboard place 14 currently on Xbox. Apparently that's not quick enough to beat the AI though. And I mean that is on the mixed surface. I can do a 8:49 on Tarmac and that is not quick enough either for the full Tarmac version. Like come on Codemasters what kind of superhuman AI are we talking here.

It's some kind of rubber band. The faster you are the faster the AI will be.

You won't beat the AI until the game lets you. The leading AI driver will screw up at some point.

I read that consistency is key regarding the difficulty in this game. For me it's shitty game design.

danowat

Banned
It's some kind of rubber band. The faster you are the faster the AI will be.

You won't beat the AI until the game lets you. The leading AI driver will screw up at some point.

I read that consistency is key regarding the difficulty in this game. For me it's shitty game design.

It's the only issue I have with the game, the AI is generally very poorly done, in all modes.

scrcrw

Man the AI times for Pikes Peak are fucked on Master difficulty.

It just happens that today is a Hillclimb daily. My time of 9:10 is good enough for leaderboard place 14 currently on Xbox. Apparently that's not quick enough to beat the AI though. And I mean that is on the mixed surface. I can do a 8:49 on Tarmac and that is not quick enough either for the full Tarmac version. Like come on Codemasters what kind of superhuman AI are we talking here.
Interesting, the AI times on console actually seem to be quicker than on PC for Pike's Peak. If I remember correctly the lead AI typically gets times around 9:00-9:10 for full tarmac and 9:20-9:30 for mixed. Those are a lot more beatable...
I'm pretty sure there's no rubberband effect in Rally and Hillclimb on PC either.

danowat

Banned
Interesting, the AI times on console actually seem to be quicker than on PC for Pike's Peak. If I remember correctly the lead AI typically gets times around 9:00-9:10 for full tarmac and 9:20-9:30 for mixed. Those are a lot more beatable...
I'm pretty sure there's no rubberband effect in Rally and Hillclimb on PC either.

There is rubberbanding, at least on the PS4, it's easy to see, run the same course, car, condition, difficulty, do a good run, and then do a deliberately slow run, you'll see the AI times always fit around the time you run.

You need the fourth engineer to get higher. They all need to come from the highest tier obviously. The team rating is a median of all the values listed. I don't even know if you can get to 100. Highest I've seen is 86.
Thanks. Should have the fourth engineer by the end of Pro.

scrcrw

There is rubberbanding, at least on the PS4, it's easy to see, run the same course, car, condition, difficulty, do a good run, and then do a deliberately slow run, you'll see the AI times always fit around the time you run.
I didn't mean to imply that I don't believe you, I just never noticed it on PC. Maybe there actually are AI differences between the versions. Seems like a weird change to make. I'll try to investigate a bit.

I still use the standard settings (sensitivity 50, linearity 40, deadzone 0) and do okay with my DS4 but feel I might do better with different values.
Some of the more successful pad players (~top 20 in the league) wanna share their settings?

danowat

Banned
I still use the standard settings (sensitivity 50, linearity 40, deadzone 0) and do okay with my DS4 but feel I might do better with different values.
Some of the more successful pad players (~top 20 in the league) wanna share their settings?

I finished 10th last week, and I am just using the default settings for DS4

Freeman76

Whats the easiest handling car group? Ive been rocking the 70's Lancia for a while, built up just under 500k credits and not sure what to buy

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I don't like the sound of the PS4 AI being all rubber bandy. Just qualified for the 4th Championship last night and that had its moments too.

Lima

Whats the easiest handling car group? Ive been rocking the 70's Lancia for a while, built up just under 500k credits and not sure what to buy

Honestly if you are a little bit into hillclimb go for the Peugot 405.

The Championships are pretty short in Hillclimb and you will make a ton of money when you get to the higher difficulty. Bonus is that you can then set up custom events at Elite difficulty or higher and get like 100k per stage win.

Custom hill climbs are probably the fastest way to earn money in this game.

Clockwork5

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong in the GAF league this week. Ehh.

On another note Rally Argentina was amazing this weekend. First place literally came down to the second half of the last stage. Paddon (Hyundai) and Ogier (VW) were driving out of their minds.

Paddon got his first WRC win.

Getting close to wrapping up my 70s clubman season. What should I go for next? Ive dabbled in rallycross and hillclimb but they really arent as fun as the rally IMO.

Lima

Getting close to wrapping up my 70s clubman season. What should I go for next? Ive dabbled in rallycross and hillclimb but they really arent as fun as the rally IMO.

Group B if you are looking for a serious challenge. R4, 2000 or 2010 if you want something more manageable.

Also you crazy hill climb is the best. There is nothing better than going up Pikes Peak. Every time I run it with the comfort I think of the guys that do this for real. Balls of steel. Big ones.

Edit;
Btw I love the wager stage daily events. Betting at least 100k upfront without knowing what stage it is or what car you will be driving is awesome. I said fuck it and put down 200k today. Upon loading you see that the stage is Monaco. Not too bad. Then the car. Group B oh my. Well at least the MG Metro is 4WD and not the Lancia. I think in that case my 200k would have been down the drain.
Anyway car handled a bit weird at the start since I came from F2 finishing the monthly.
Got my shit together after taking it slow for a couple turns and ended up still getting place 34 for the time being.

Looking at the entries is hilarious though. First of even the 100k minimum entry is apparently still too steep for a lot of people and there are whole lot of 30 minute times posted on the leaderboard with people totaling their car.

Lima

After finishing a 2010 rally season on master and looking back on what I did during the monthly event, it's safe to say that Finland is my nemesis. Got damn I hate this bumpy shit with insane speeds. Every time I finish a stage there I have to take a short break cause it stresses me out. Intense stuff.
Not to mention that I still do pretty bad. I don't think I've won a rally in Finland above clubman difficulty and after Monaco I was 36th on Xbox for the monthly. After the 6 stages in Finland I had dropped to 60something.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yeah but the difference between 36th and 60 odd only has to be around 0:00.05 seconds if that, based on the PS4 leaderboards. You can scroll through a leaderboard for any race and the difference between being 100th and 300th will be less 5 secs as well based on the fact that more people are compeing in careers than are finishing the monthly. (I rolled my car over the edge on the 19th Stage in the monthly. Tried to push it too hard to make up for lost time)

scrcrw

What was the money making technique, start a custom and retired from each race?
Custom Championship, 12 stages per event, any number of events, highest difficulty available. Then retire at the start line on the first stage (after the countdown). Don't rev the car to avoid repair costs. It's pretty dumb that not driving pays better than driving...
Custom Hillclimb championships might be the best way to make money overall (120k for 3 min of driving in Masters), but you obviously need a car and some experience driving it.

Keep in mind that quickly upgrading new cars is just as important as making money if you want to fill out your garage. To do that you need to unlock perk slots on your engineers, which means driving a lot. Starting/Retiring events is a waste of time in that respect, but it's still a useful technique to make a little bit of cash.

xrnzaaas

I struggled to get to the end of my current championship season with the Renault 5 Turbo (1980s cars). What a shitty shitty car. Taking sharper corners (I'm not even mentioning hairpins) is a constant struggle even if you change the setup to induce oversteer. The only rally that was easy was Finland and that's only because there's only a few 1-2 corners. I think I need an easy season maybe in R4 class after all that hard work. :)

danowat

Banned
just finished the 4th rally on my Elite championship in Gr B, with the Lancia, that's 4 wins out of 4, I am sitting at 100pts on the leaderboard with second place on 50pts.

Got to be a shoe-in for the win right?!

Well, I was super excited to play this with my Thrustmaster t500 and buttkicker rig but it left me extremely disappointed. Even after finding various settings online to tweak the wheel settings, it never felt even close to satisfying. Turning with the wheel feels sluggish and braking feels unresponsive. Played some PCars and Driveclub to test the wheel was working properly, and it was 180 times better with those two games. I put my wheel away and said why not try the old PS4 controller before I give up on this game, and wow does it control much better with the controller. Was still to sour to enjoy the game though after only really wanting it so I could use my wheel, so it a no go for me. Maybe if they patch in better wheel control down the line, I'll jump back in. PCars and Driveclub's wheel controls have gotten a lot better since their releases, so there is hope for Dirt Rally to turn it around.

MGR

Well, I was super excited to play this with my Thrustmaster t500 and buttkicker rig but it left me extremely disappointed. Even after finding various settings online to tweak the wheel settings, it never felt even close to satisfying. Turning with the wheel feels sluggish and braking feels unresponsive. Played some PCars and Driveclub to test the wheel was working properly, and it was 180 times better with those two games. I put my wheel away and said why not try the old PS4 controller before I give up on this game, and wow does it control much better with the controller. Was still to sour to enjoy the game though after only really wanting it so I could use my wheel, so it a no go for me. Maybe if they patch in better wheel control down the line, I'll jump back in. PCars and Driveclub's wheel controls have gotten a lot better since their releases, so there is hope for Dirt Rally to turn it around.

How long did you play before shelving the T500?

Did you calibrate it. I use a TX(Xbox version of the T500) and initially I also felt it wasn't great. But after doing the calibration and turning down the FFB to 60% for all values it feels great.

Azzawon

For some odd reason I've found Destiny to pull me back in so I haven't been spending as much time on DiRT Rally. Need to get the XB1 league out of the way!

Edit: Can't seem to access the game's website, keep getting directed to Codies' instead. Are they updating the service?

danowat

Banned
For some odd reason I've found Destiny to pull me back in so I haven't been spending as much time on DiRT Rally. Need to get the XB1 league out of the way!

Edit: Can't seem to access the game's website, keep getting directed to Codies' instead. Are they updating the service?

Heathen.

And yeah, maintenance.

xrnzaaas

I don't have a lot of time for games this month (and I've bought too many of them, again ;)), but I'm still playing. I'm finding myself spending more time with the daily/weekly challenges than the career mode. I like how they offer variety of rallies and in some cases mystery as well (wager challenges). :)

danowat

Banned
I don't have a lot of time for games this month (and I've bought too many of them, again ;)), but I'm still playing. I'm finding myself spending more time with the daily/weekly challenges than the career mode. I like how they offer variety of rallies and in some cases mystery as well (wager challenges). :)

I only get about an hour or so in the morning before work, so I know what you mean, I have to spread myself a bit thin!.

Yeah, I also like the challenges too.

Bedlam

I was busy with DS3 but now that I'm almost finished with it, I've gone back to Dirt Rally and I'm liking it more than ever.

This thread provided me with good advice that definitely improved my enjoyment of the game by a lot. First was the handling settings for the controller (I'm a "sensitivity=100" guy) and recently I deactivated all of the HUD which made a huge difference. With no such distractions and no worrying about my position all the time, I completed tracks much more often instead of restarting constantly and I learned how to correct mistakes more effectively, resulting in my skills improving faster than before.

I'm going to play some more and then I plan to participate more actively in the PS4 league in the next weeks.

I was really looking toward this game. And I think that driving is amazing. But it really lucks decent structure. I got through 1 and a half seasons and I feel like I'm done with this game. It would definitely benefit from more structured single player mode... It just takes too much effort to get through 1 season with very little reward.

How long did you play before shelving the T500?

Not sure how long, but long enough to realize I was just playing the game to tweak the wheel settings.

Did you calibrate it. I use a TX(Xbox version of the T500) and initially I also felt it wasn't great. But after doing the calibration and turning down the FFB to 60% for all values it feels great.

Yep, I calibrated it and recalibrate it. But it didn't seem to help all that much for me.

DD

I was really looking toward this game. And I think that driving is amazing. But it really lucks decent structure. I got through 1 and a half seasons and I feel like I'm done with this game. It would definitely benefit from more structured single player mode... It just takes too much effort to get through 1 season with very little reward.

I like the way it is, but It could be better on the presentation aspects. It's too cold the way it is. It would be nice to have something like media stuff, a little more than a "N. Surname" on your opponents, something like that. But it's definitely better than what we had with previous Dirts. I hate micro championships. I like it big. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

GodofWine

The last two dailys I did I false started by mistake on the rally cross event (instant DQ) and then smacked a parked car near the start on Monaco..feels bad man...

I just do daily events and the PS4 league, I dont have enough time to be really good, you have to make this your main game to excel...and I don't have the time to 'main' anything.

I like the way it is, but It could be better on the presentation aspects. It's too cold the way it is. It would be nice to have something like media stuff, a little more than a "N. Surname" on your opponents, something like that. But it's definitely better than what we had with previous Dirts. I hate micro championships. I like it big. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought I liked big championships, but in this game it's just too much "work". I think the gameplay is perfect, but you can't just relax when playing Dirt Rally. Typically I listen to podcasts when playing racing games and here it's not an option. That's not a bad thing. It makes minute to minute racing so much more rewarding, but playing the whole season is just too stressful. :) It would be good if there was some balance... Maybe presentation could help a bit...

Watevaman

My T500 felt great in Dirt Rally. I didn't get any notchiness or poor feedback and it felt smooth to me. Pedals were fine too. However, I haven't played with the T500 since the full console release, so maybe something changed, but I doubt it, as wheel support got better and better throughout EA.

xrnzaaas

The last two dailys I did I false started by mistake on the rally cross event (instant DQ) and then smacked a parked car near the start on Monaco..feels bad man...

I just do daily events and the PS4 league, I dont have enough time to be really good, you have to make this your main game to excel...and I don't have the time to 'main' anything.

I had a false start on today's wager challenge so that's probably -50k on my bank account. ;)

vsMIC

MULTI-CLASS ENDURANCE LEAGUE (XBOX)
Name: XBL DiRT RIVALS
Tag: XDR
Multi-Car-Class-Season on endurance courses (XBOX)
- Start Monday 02.05.2016 (6 weeks)
- All car-classes from group A and up allowed; all listed on one leaderboard
- All cars available at max upgrades, i.e. no need to save credits or grind upgrades
- 2 endurance courses per country = 1 weekly event = 6 week season
- One nice weather course, the other at aggravate conditions, e.g. night or rain
- No stage/event retry
- Checkpoint, repair and tuning after each (long) course

Please register and compete if interested!

Top Bottom