• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Showdown |OT| A new kind of DiRT

derFeef

2907fdca.png

15397b12.png

UQPM4.png
Developer: Codemasters Racing
UQPM4.png
Release Platform: PC (Steamworks), 360, PS3
UQPM4.png
Release Date: Out Now.

4d9730e2.png

9c99283e.png

DiRT Showdown is the new arcade racing game from the team that brought you the award-winning DiRT series, uncaged in 2012.
Pick up and play controls combine with electrifying events, frenzied crowds and stunning graphics to deliver high octane, dive in and drive thrills from event one.

SPEED, STYLE AND DESTRUCTION – LET LOOSE ON A TOUR OF MOTORISED MAYHEM:

NO HOLDS BARRED RACING EVENTS
Trade paint and use nitrous to blast past rivals in DiRT Showdown’s racing modes.
Courses are littered with obstacles, pinch points, multiple-routes and ramps to deliver adrenaline-fuelled racing across spectacular courses.

BONE CRUNCHING DEMOLITION DERBY EVENTS
Crash, smash and bash your way through a range of
demolition derby events, pushing our stunning damage engine to its spectacular limits.

EDGE OF CONTROL HOONIGAN EVENTS
A new accessible handling system lets you go wild in free-roaming,
freestyle stunt parks. Compounds flooded with obstacles play host to a range of new challenges,
from performing trick runs to competitive stunt events, explorations challenges and more.

RaceNet
New features in the update will include players being invited to take part in regular community challenges and RaceNet events and the ability to add other RaceNet members as friends.
Gamers will be able to earn new RaceNet Awards and XP which can be viewed on a new Driver Profile page and additional new pages will reflect the status of Showdown Challenges
and enable players to compare best times and scores with their friends across a range of game modes. Gamers can enjoy these new features and more by registering at www.racenet.com.
ghREV.jpg

d9808955.png

c91b6e77.png

Reviews: (thanks VG247!)
UQPM4.png
Eurogamer – 8
UQPM4.png
Strategy Informer – 8.5
UQPM4.png
EDGE – 8
UQPM4.png
GameSpot – 8
UQPM4.png
The Sixth Axis – 7
UQPM4.png
IGN – 6
UQPM4.png
Videogamer – 7

(Note that this is mostly Wiki and HP infos, not much out there - I will add more stuff later.)

Goldrusher

And before anyone complains, this is simply something in between DiRT 3 and DiRT 4.

Not a new direction for the series.

From the IGN Review:

"You can hush the music entirely but you can only lower the commentary to 50% volume. Dirt regular Christian Stevenson has launched into a full-frontal assault on the English language here with a salvo of nonsense that’ll have you quivering in a corner whispering to your dictionary that everything’s going to be okay. Perpendicular awesomeness? Awesometacular? T-Bone-a-licious? This kind of babble may be quaint scribbled beside a picture of a dinosaur wearing sunglasses on a toddler’s T-shirt but here it’s just dumber than two sacks of hair."

For me, that is all I really needed to hear. I hated all this shit in Dirt 3 and the demo was full of it but I was SURE we would be able to mute it. Between that, the lack of licensed cars and the lack of tracks makes this pretty disappointing. Think I might rent it, but I am not even sure of that.

1-D_FTW

From the IGN Review:

"You can hush the music entirely but you can only lower the commentary to 50% volume. Dirt regular Christian Stevenson has launched into a full-frontal assault on the English language here with a salvo of nonsense that’ll have you quivering in a corner whispering to your dictionary that everything’s going to be okay. Perpendicular awesomeness? Awesometacular? T-Bone-a-licious? This kind of babble may be quaint scribbled beside a picture of a dinosaur wearing sunglasses on a toddler’s T-shirt but here it’s just dumber than two sacks of hair."

For me, that is all I really needed to hear. I hated all this shit in Dirt 3 and the demo was full of it but I was SURE we would be able to mute it. Between that, the lack of licensed cars and the lack of tracks makes this pretty disappointing. Think I might rent it, but I am not even sure of that.

Is it wrong I find that kind of funny? I'm a bad person. Gaf hates me.*

*I don't like the announcers anymore than anyone else, but I find the hubris of that lockout funny.

This is my biggest issue (and the reason I thought it was DD for so long):

Lasting Appeal - 3.5 - The game tries hard to disguise the fact there aren't many tracks with shared layouts and time-of-day effects, but Showdown gets old far too fast.

I own all 3 DiRT games and I enjoy them quite a bit but I think I'll pass on this one. It looks very bland to me and it's basically a concentrated dose of the worst parts of the series. I'm looking forward to DiRT 4, though!

I own all 3 DiRT games and I enjoy them quite a bit but I think I'll pass on this one. It looks very bland to me and it's basically a concentrated dose of the worst parts of the series. I'm looking forward to DiRT 4, though!
I feel similarly but I respect them for it. It's becoming an annual franchise, if they didn't mix it up we'd probably be moaning that it's the same every year like we did for Need for Speed a few years back. There is a core WRC game too but I haven't played that since 2006 or so.

I'm really enjoying the game and I'm glad that the Codies came up with a new twist. You just gotta let go the idea that this is Dirt 4. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll have a great time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
are there actually a lot of rally cars in this? from what i've seen the majority seem to be redneck demolition derby stuff

amar212

I will pass on the Showdown game, but I have to congratulate on RaceNet - both concept, execution, perspective and overall design of the portal.

I can see it as a great hub for upcoming CM titles - from F1 2012 to GRID 2 or (please be true) upcoming WRC title and rebirth of TOCA.

It is a great way to cross-connect the games, players and content and I am looking forward to see the way it will develop.

U2NUMB

I will pass on the Showdown game, but I have to congratulate on RaceNet - both concept, execution, perspective and overall design of the portal.

I can see it as a great hub for upcoming CM titles - from F1 2012 to GRID 2 or (please be true) upcoming WRC title and rebirth of TOCA.

It is a great way to cross-connect the games, players and content and I am looking forward to see the way it will develop.

I would have liked them to make it somewhat retro to Dirt 3 like Elite did with Blops. But yes other than that I agree.. problem is when will the next RaceNet game come out?

Best arcade racer since Flatout and DD. For me it's a 10/10 (Multiplayer) and 8/10 Singleplayer. Graphics are gorgeous. Game is fun as hell. Having a blast. Can't write. Must play. Over and out.

I will agree with this, this is one of the few things about this game that was interesting to me. I really hope we see this used in more games like you have mentioned AMAR. I am glad that AutoLog started this trend and I would like to see the big players (GT and Forza) take this idea and run with it. I LOVED Dirt 3, but I understand what they were trying to do with this game. Unfortunately it is just not for me.

And what is this about WRC/TOCA??? I need more info!!!

Doesn't actually matter, I was just talking about your assertion that they were somehow wrong. Anyways, perhaps a review copy that they got early? The same way any game is ever reviewed on release day?

I can get into a full lobby in 3 seconds and play with them for hours. I already played 5 hours online and I'm always in a full lobby. Because this game is great online :)

derFeef

Thread needs more videos of multiplayer.

Hopefully Alan from TeamVVV stps by and posts some :)

Playing the game on PC right now, SO GOOD!
So much memories of Destruction Derby and Flatout (though a lot easier).

edit: And as stated in the title - this is not ralley Dirt. For those wanting a game like that, wait for dirt 4 as it is going to be more classic ralely game according to codies.

derFeef

The ringout event is super fun! I am so happy someone made a good DD game again.

PC version DX11 maxed, it looks fucking great. I wish I could turn down the motion blur a bit though, it's really heavy on the screenshots.

Definitely want to try this but I'm just not willing to pay full price. $30 would be the sweet spot for me.

By the way in the US Amazon is going a $10 credit if you preorder the 360 or PS3 version.

derFeef

Definitely want to try this but I'm just not willing to pay full price. $30 would be the sweet spot for me.

By the way in the US Amazon is going a $10 credit if you preorder the 360 or PS3 version.

it's 30€ (dunno the $ price) if you buy the 2-pack on steam. If you want the PC version, that is.

If I liked to play these events more then I currently do I would buy this, but I am much more of a pure rally fan and currently replaying dirt 3 complete (wow the monaco rally track is so damn epic) so I am ok for now.

derFeef

If I liked to play these events more then I currently do I would buy this, but I am much more of a pure rally fan and currently replaying dirt 3 complete (wow the monaco rally track is so damn epic) so I am ok for now.

What events do you mean? The game is mostly about 8-ball, racing, and destruction derby.

kamspy

The demo was pretty good. The part of me that his happy this is not a traditional DiRT game, is the wallet part.

What events do you mean? The game is mostly about 8-ball, racing, and destruction derby.

I mean that I prefer the point to point races, and just now playing monaco dlc for the first time in dirt 3 it's signs at how good dirt could be as a pure rally game instead of all this mumbo-jumbo.

Also bomba £22.99 at game on 360 and ps3 right now, sorry codemasters :(

Also as a bonus you can get 400 msp for £1.75 or £5 psn for £2.50 when you buy it along side this game.

1-D_FTW

The ringout event is super fun! I am so happy someone made a good DD game again.

PC version DX11 maxed, it looks fucking great. I wish I could turn down the motion blur a bit though, it's really heavy on the screenshots.

Have they removed the Post Process option? Because that's historically controlled the amount of motion blur applied to Dirt games.

Almost finished the SP, really like it and having a lot of fun! Hoonigan ( gymkhana ) feels strange to me when played in this game. Gfx are outstanding, especially on 8-ball.

I'm probably picking this up with Amazon's $10 credit. I've loved all the previous Dirt games, and I don't mind the over the top style of this game.

It's annoying they've delayed this for another 2 weeks for the U.S. though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any word on sales of this? seemed like a pretty quiet release. how many poeple on the leaderboards?

dethforce

Banned
what a bring game. especially the course design is so boring, and you need a lot of luck on the tougher levels. also: the assets reuse for the stagedesigns are really lame. would be better if this was just a 15€ psn game.

any word on sales of this? seemed like a pretty quiet release. how many poeple on the leaderboards?

I did quit well in the UK but I think it'll will not sell that well in the end. The problem is, some people expected it to be Dirt 4. It's not Dirt ( except for Hoonigan, which is like Gymkhana ), but it's great fun nevertheless. If you enjoy arcaderacers, this game is a real treat imo.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
THIS GAME IS FUCKING SICK

gifted it to a friend on Steam by buying 2-pack for the reduced price.

How is online community on PC?

Finished SP. Graphics are really awesome and maybe the best ever ( for arcade racers ).
My favourite mode is 8-ball and Rampage. It's kinda strange how points are given though...sometimes a car crashes into me, and I receive the points. But mino niggles aside this game is really great!

NinjaBoiX

I wasn't too jazzed by the demo, but I love me some Dirt. This is more gymkhana and stuff right?

Also, a little off topic, but does anyone know if my dirt 3 save is compatible with the complete edition? I figure it'll work out cheaper to trade dirt 3 for that than get all the DLC.

Top Bottom