• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster Report Sequel Next Year..

haha just saw this..

Though Irem's first disaster-survival adventure game wasn't the greatest commercial success, it did draw a very loyal cult following, so it's not too surprising to see the announcement of Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 2. Famitsu Weekly reports that the sequel will hit PlayStation 2 in Japan some time next year.

Released in North America by Agetec as Disaster Report, the original game challenged players to escape a near-future city ruined by a massive earthquake. The new game, subtitled "Frozen Memory" in Japanese, changes up the disaster -- this time, the city has been struck by floods -- and introduces multiple protagonists working to escape different predicaments.

In addition to keeping oneself fed and hydrated, the sequel also challenges players to find a means of surviving the cold. Characters soaked in chilly flood waters can contract hypothermia if they don't keep warm. More complex environments will also challenge players to employ new actions like hanging from ledges, straddling narrow gaps, and shouting to communicate with other characters.

Irem should debut the sequel online shortly, so we'll have more details as soon as they're available.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3134665

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Doom_Bringer said:
In addition to keeping oneself fed and hydrated, the sequel also challenges players to find a means of surviving the cold. Characters soaked in chilly flood waters can contract hypothermia if they don't keep warm.

Sharing body heat is one of the best ways to keep warm... wonder if they'll implement that in the game... ;)

McFly

I played through it four times without playing an other game between. It had huge slowdowns, but for some reason I loved it a lot. Can't wait for number two.

Fredi

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
OK, hey, superawesome, but uh.. where's the Sakurazaka Shouboutai localization, please. Did FD18 steal its thunder?

daichi_body.gif
doi_body.gif
asakura_body.gif

st2_3.jpg

st2_2.jpg

st4_3.jpg

st3_3.jpg

st5_3.jpg

FnordChan

Freakin' awesome. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to see how many batteries and coat hangers I can stuff into my backpack.

FnordChan

WarPig

DarienA said:
Sharing body heat is one of the best ways to keep warm... wonder if they'll implement that in the game... ;)

Well, it does say that they're going to have multiple characters working together in this one. Read between the lines...

DFS.

Eric-GCA

Banned
HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!

I remember just recently hoping that someone would make a game along these lines, and lo and behold, Irem is gonna do a sequel. Here's hoping the can:

Fix the Framerate
Update the Graphics

It'd be really cool if they tried to set it in a real city than a make believe one like say San Francisco.

Meier

I got it for 5 during the CC sale and have been playing it off and on in the past week or two. It's pretty interesting but the frame rate is really some of the worst in any game I've ever encountered. Staggeringly poor.

Shinobi

I've only played it briefly since I got it. The visuals don't win a lot of points, but the concept of the game is pretty neat.

First of all... sweet! Here's hoping Agetec brings this one to the US as well. They changed the names of the characters for the US version, so if any of the same characters are in the sequel, I'd like them to have the same names.

Meier said:
I got it for 5 during the CC sale and have been playing it off and on in the past week or two. It's pretty interesting but the frame rate is really some of the worst in any game I've ever encountered. Staggeringly poor.

The frame rate is just fine. It's the slowdown that really hinders the experience. I still loved the game, though, in spite of the slowdown and the story becoming... odd in spots.

Meier

Alex Anderson said:
The frame rate is just fine. It's the slowdown that really hinders the experience.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that. The frame rate is fine most of the time (I assume 30 fps), but on occasion it dips to what has to be sub-10. I was pretty shocked at how badly it chugged at times. Very cool concept though and definitely worth the 5 bucks... too bad I didnt get to look up the girl's skirt on the ladder though even if I tried to convince her to let me go first.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The designers simply chose not to drop frames when a full 30 frames per second could not be displayed. So, you would still see every frame displayed...but it would take longer for all of them to appear. The result is that the game often appeared to run in slow motion. Honestly, I would have been happier if they just dropped the frames. Sure, it would look choppier...but I'd rather have the speed.

That's a HUGE issue, though. They NEED to work on that.

pcostabel

Gold Member
That's great news. Disaster Report was one of the best adventure games this gen. I'll definitely get the sequel.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I got the demo at the Irem booth. You play a waiter stuck in this uber cataclysm as mega floods hit Geo City. Looks like great fun, though it's obviously using the same engine as the first game, all the slowdown is still there. Oh well, it's a cool game where I'm not killing things, so I'll most definitely pick it up to support Irem.

BTW there is no way in hell I am touching anything called Bumpy Trot

EmSeta

Well I would have loved some really low profile music in the background. The silence was atmospheric IMO, but sometimes it got a bit too quiet..

Is the original worth checking out? I found it for $20 CDN but passed on it, it's not going anywhere so I can still get it. QUestion is, should I?

Top Bottom