• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

scy said:
Oh. Hm. I don't know. I think you still can't steal but the Puppy Paw Stick might still work; I know they patched out duping from Cell Phone summoned friendlies but they might have left this in.
oh man I didnt know about the cell phone duping. how did that work? I also wonder if the magichange glitch I found in Disgaea 2 PSP still works in this...if it does hello breaking the stat cap in 5 minutes.

scy said:
Reports from the JP version says it works with serums; likewise, it even works if you were to Fuse a monster and surround it:

Code:
[_][_][X][_][_]
[_][X][T][X][_]
[X][T][T][T][X]
[_][X][T][X][_]
[_][_][X][_][_]

T = Fused Monster
X = Character(s) affected
Oh my !!!!!!!!

I hope the store duping doesn't get patched out. It's already bad enough we have to wait until November to even start getting DLC. To wait all that time and then lose duping too would be too much for my heart to handle.

So wait, with a fused monster, do both monsters get the stat gain, or just the one that you can see?

Master Milk said:
Oh my !!!!!!!!

I hope the store duping doesn't get patched out. It's already bad enough we have to wait until November to even start getting DLC. To wait all that time and then lose duping too would be too much for my heart to handle.

So wait, with a fused monster, do both monsters get the stat gain, or just the one that you can see?
considering they get exp and mana like the one you can see i suppose any stat changes would apply...then again...a healing item doesnt apply to the one you cant see so...maybe?

I don't know, but it would be insane either way. Either 9 or all 10 of your people getting affected with 1 serum all at once. If the duping trick stays in when Angels come out, all hell will break loose!

Dizzy-4U

scy said:
Yes and no. Whatever bribes you give them count for future bills but it does go down over time as you pass bills. Additionally, each Bill has a modifier on them that makes them easier/harder to pass so you can get a bunch to Love<3 on some bill and then see them in a later one down to Loathe immediately. They have the same amount of affection, for lack of a better term, towards you but the bill itself just temporarily changes it for that bill.

If you want to spend the time bribing them, just go to Embezzle Funds; they're all set to be dead set against the bill so anybody you get to Love<3 there will pretty much be at Love<3 for every other bill in the game. Plus, canceling out of this bill is pretty cheap on your Mana.

This process is a lot easier when you have the Rosen Queen Co. Evil Symbol since that lets you buy the items that most of them prefer (Muscles, Orbs, Glasses, Shoes namely).
More complex than I thought. Thanks for the info, I think I get it.

scy

AkumaHokoru said:
oh man I didnt know about the cell phone duping. how did that work? I also wonder if the magichange glitch I found in Disgaea 2 PSP still works in this...if it does hello breaking the stat cap in 5 minutes.

My understanding was it basically let you use your Friends filter to summon them as needed. Looking over some things from the JP release period, they flat out removed duping from Friend filter Pirates in general (though you can dupe from random Pirates you meet).

Master Milk said:

I believe it's just the one showing, not both. So one character is basically left to just sit and be sad at missing the serum sessions.

scy said:
I believe it's just the one showing, not both. So one character is basically left to just sit and be sad at missing the serum sessions.
Still, that's 9 characters, which is great!

Another question, can you have more than one special innocent on an item?

E: WHY CAN'T I FIND THE FRICKIN COLOR PAINTER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

scy

Master Milk said:
Still, that's 9 characters, which is great!

Another question, can you have more than one special innocent on an item?

E: WHY CAN'T I FIND THE FRICKIN COLOR PAINTER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have multiple (different) Special Innocents; stacking multiple of the same kind do nothing.

Also, I did some cleaning up of my Friends List; if anyone from here got deleted and still needs my Pirates, wants to upload my Pirates back for me to get from them, or just wants on my list for some reason, go ahead and shoot me another invite.

Now, hopefully I can find those who have my Pirates uploaded so I can reap my own efforts~

scy said:
You can have multiple (different) Special Innocents; stacking multiple of the same kind do nothing.
Awesome, that's exactly what I want!

Okay, so to be sure, when you send out your pirates, they have the same equipment with all the same innocents and stuff, they just can't be duped if they're on your friend list?

scy said:
Also, I did some cleaning up of my Friends List; if anyone from here got deleted and still needs my Pirates, wants to upload my Pirates back for me to get from them, or just wants on my list for some reason, go ahead and shoot me another invite.

Now, hopefully I can find those who have my Pirates uploaded so I can reap my own efforts~
You're still on my list. I haven't uploaded yet because I've only got two, but I can if you're actively looking now. I also accidentally leveled one up a little, so she's not lv 1, though that probably won't matter for you.

I don't know how to do the turn zero thing you had though. >_>

E: What does the Heart's Shadow innocent do? Does it have a different name in the English version?

It's been a month, so we can chill with the spoilers, right?

Progress Report!

I've got enough Traps for every unique character + all the Japanese DLC we don't have yet.
They all need to be Reverse Pirated for the last few levels and Item God kill, but they're basically good to go.
The next thing minor thing to do would be to get every type of r40 weapon to 300,
and I might do that because there's a few things I need from Item World still,
namely Kurtis and THAT DAMN PAINTER,
but I really want to start working on maxing out the characters.
I can't do anything with serums and the like until I get that 300% aptitude,
and it's going to be really time consuming with every character,
so I want to start now that I can.

I'll probably end up breaking it down into chunks, doing a little at a time.
Maybe shoot for a character a week or something.
Class World is hella boring.

End Report.

scy

Master Milk said:
Class World is hella boring.

Tell me about it. It's better now that I don't need any of the Evilities (...well, around 10 still) or any of the Floor 10 Mystery Gate denizens but, still, it's just a bit dull. Got the Uniques I still want to 300% but ... damn. Don't know if I have it in me with the next batch of games coming out (and I still have Dark Souls to even start).

Heart's Shadow ... I don't know. Haven't seen it in-game and I don't think the JP Wikis have anything on it either.

As an update on my Pirates, I've uploaded a new batch that have 9 of them on the ship. 6 are my original 300% Aptitude ones (Grey color-set) and 3 are modified versions of mine (Blue color-set) that have some more Evilities but are otherwise the same.

And to get a Turn 0 ship ... I dunno. Just slap together a ship using a Body with a low Turn Appearance count and then add pieces until it lowers. The P Flonzor X for Land of Carnage unlock is a Turn 0 appearance setup, for instance. It's a little awkward of a layout, though.

lets see...my checkpoints

-need to get better gear (everyone is still wearing story mode gear with a few splashes of rank
-need to get into loc.
-need to finish unlocking ranks
-most item world shops.

i love the new treasure room (provided i am almost lvl 8000 that lets you jump back up if you fall)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, I just finished the game, got the
ending. A solid 8/10, but for now 1 and 3 still outrank it on my list. It's not bad, it's just that for me 1 and 3 were 10/10. This is more like 2 for me, in that it's a solid 8.

Spoilers, obviously.

It's very interesting to me how the stories for the series have followed and every-other pattern. 1 was about a spoiled brat who had to learn to be more accepting of other people/demons/angels etc. and mature. 2 was about a standup guy who makes a promise and vows to see it through no matter what in a romantic story. 3 goes back to the 1 setup, a spoiled brat who has to learn to be more accepting of other people/demons/angels etc. and mature. Which then brings us to 4, about a standup guy who makes a promise and vows to see it through no matter what in a (somewhat) romantic story. So 1 --> 3 and 2 --> 4.

Obviously the details are different, but the themes are basically the same. And unfortunately, like 2 before it, my disappointment is the characters. In 1 and 3, the characters were not just interesting, but were also interesting to watch as the story continued because all the major players grew and changed. 2's characters didn't change all that much except for Rozalyn, but she made up for the rest of the cast. 4's cast falls into the same trap, but doesn't have a Rozalyn to save it. Oh sure, we LEARN about the characters and their pasts/motivations etc., but they don't actually grow/change much. The most interesting character is Fenrich, and he's the only one who shows any growth over the course of the story (I loved the "Mr. Tsundere" bit. XD), but Valvatorez basically doesn't change at all (Sardines! Promise! Sardines! Promise!), Fuka remains delusional throughout (at one point she FINALLY admitted she was dead, only to revert to the whole "It's all just my dream anyway," BS the very next episode. So frustrating!). Desco is at least somewhat sympathetic, but is still a one beat drum (Last Boss! Last Boss!). Well, okay Emizel grew a little, but he was sadly a boring character from the outset so I guess if you like Emizel the stance might change a bit. Artina was cute and I FUCKING LOVE ERI KIRAMURA'S SULTRY VOICE, but again, doesn't really "grow" or "change" throughout.

I guess the major difference is that 1 and 3 have characters who grow, while 2 and 4 are more about discovering who the characters are, their pasts, what makes them tick etc. So I suppose I just prefer the former style.

It still ranks higher than 2 though because the story itself was more interesting and the visual improvements are a huge plus in it's favor; in particular the animated portraits really help the characters feel a little more active. ^_^ It also has a lot of the gameplay improvements, but I must admit I'm still working out how to best utilize the Cam-Pain. I know it's similar to 3's classroom setup, but I'm still wrapping my head around it. And it's going to have to wait as Atelier Totori has been staring at me for a good week and wants to be played now.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game. But as a Disgaea die-hard (up until recently my avatar was a Prinny for years!), it ranks 3rd on my list. 1>3>4>2.

Oh, and Axel still isn't a funny character. >_<;;

Pikma

Banned
Considering that I have never played a Disgaea game before, will I be able to play and understand all the features/story (there's story, right?) of Disgaea 4? Or should I start with a previous installment? Lately, I've been thinking about returning to SRPGs and this game seems fun but it also looks way too complex, so that's why I ask. :p

RurouniZel

Pikma said:
Considering that I have never played a Disgaea game before, will I be able to play and understand all the features/story (there's story, right?) of Disgaea 4? Or should I start with a previous installment? Lately, I've been thinking about returning to SRPGs and this game seems fun but it also looks way too complex, so that's why I ask. :p

Well, the Disgaea series has always been complex, though 3 and 4 add to the complexity a bit in terms of adding features and differences in leveling. ^^

As far as Disgaea 4 goes, besides a recurring cameo from Axel who debuted in Disgaea 2, and a later, albeit very brief cameo from a character from the 1st game, the main story is completely separate from previous Disgaeas. However the only concern I would have is that there are a few conventions in the Disgaea series that 4 assumes you already know (like throwing Prinnies makes them explode, etc.), so as long as you're willing to just hear what these conventions are from us, I see no reason why you can't just jump into 4. It's a highly complex, quirky, but fun experience. ^_^

Negator

The way I see it is that Disgaea 4 only gets complex when you start trying to min-max. Then the game becomes ridiculously complicated. Beating the game I don't think requires you to explore the complexities of Disgaea games.

RurouniZel

Negator said:
The way I see it is that Disgaea 4 only gets complex when you start trying to min-max. Then the game becomes ridiculously complicated. Beating the game I don't think requires you to explore the complexities of Disgaea games.

Very true. You can approach the game just buying new equipment as you go and leveling up and it's not too terribly complex. Hell, I haven't even used the Item World in 4 yet except for the one required Tutorial one, and I beat the game. ^_^

RurouniZel

So to expound on my post above, perhaps a brief Disgaea crash course is in order:

So I've never played a Disgaea, but 4 is lookin' pretty nifty. What do I need to know?

1) All Disgaea games take place in one of the apparently many Netherworlds. 4 is specifically referred to as Hades.

2) Prinnies (those cute Penguin looking creatures) are the souls of humans who sinned and have to work off their sins doing the shittiest jobs. Also, they explode when thrown (more on that later).

3) Some Battle Basics to keep in mind, as the tutorial kinda rushes past these in 4.

a) You can bring up to 10 allies into battle with you. Once 10 of your allies are killed, it's Game Over. Doesn't matter how many allies you have/have created. Once the enemy has killed 10 of you, it's back to your last save.
b) At the most basic level, EXP/Mana for gaining levels/powering up abilities is only awarded when a character kills an enemy (exception being Clerics who gain some EXP for healing, but not much). Just because your characters are doing stuff, doesn't mean they're getting EXP for it, like in say Final Fantasy Tactics. If you want a balanced party, it's a good idea to try and let a lower level character lay the final blow to an enemy if they've been reduced to a paltry amount of HP. Note that this isn't the ONLY way to get EXP/Mana, but is the most predominant method.
c) Usually in the Disgaea games, a huge part of the difficulty comes not from the enemies themselves, but from various Geo Panels (colored squares on the map) that have various detrimental effects, or just effects that make the enemy damn near impossible to do damage against until you destroy the Geo Block causing the effect (or throwing it off of said Panel).
d) Speaking of throwing, this plays a HUGE role in making Disgaea's battles unique from pretty much any other SRPG on the market. Many of the battles will require you to throw your allies, perhaps your enemies, or Geo Blocks to win (unless you're extremely over-leveled on a 2nd play-through). So long as it's within a reasonable height, and it's not nailed to the floor, you can pick it up and throw it. You can also pick up characters who are being picked up and create giant towers! Or, if you want to remove an ally from danger, you can pick them up and thrown them back into the Base Panel (the starting panel) if you're close enough. But ONLY HUMAN characters can pick up and throw; Monster-type allies cannot. And again, Prinnies explode when thrown; that includes enemy Prinnies too (kind of a running gag in the series)!
e) Be careful! Friendly-fire is in play!

4) If you want to buy better items as you proceed in the game, you have to improve your Store Rank. You do this by first buying enough stuff to improve your rank, then going to Senate and select the topic "More Expensive Stuff". This is usually easy to get approved, and you can buy better equipment for your party.

5) Lots of the features you want/need for better progress in the game have to be approved by the Senate. It costs Mana to present a topic, and before you select it will indicate via percentage the likelihood of being approved. If you want/need something that might be difficult to get approved, remember the following:

a) You can bribe Senators with various items to get them to lean yes.
b) The higher the level of the Senator, the more weight their vote carries. So when bribing, ALWAYS work high to low.
c) However, some Senators are so dead-set against your proposal, unless you have tons of items they happen to really want, they may not be worth trying to win over.
d) If it is not approved, but you're high enough in levels, you can force passage by fighting and killing all the naysaying senators anyway. Assuming they're not way more powerful than you of course.
e) NEW TO 4, Senators from other players via PSN can jump into your Senate at random to vote. These always start out with the status "Either Way", so keep that in mind.
f) Don't waste Mana trying to get stuff approved over and over. It's a hassle, but save BEFORE going to Senate, attempt to pass, reload if cannot pass.

6) The Item World is the way to get the most powerful items, however it's mostly unnecessary in the early going, and leveling up low-level items is kind of a waste of time anyway as you'll end up just buying better weapons later on anyway. >> It's only really necessary for Post-Game content.

7) Ditto for Reincarnation and Character Worlds.

-----

I think that covers the basic basics. So long as you keep the above in mind, have fun with Disgaea 4! ^_^

nonnocere said:
Are "bad ending" trophies only available post game?

as long as it doesnt have a post game unlock requirement you can get it on any run before beating the actual game and getting the all stage clear ending. the bad endings you can get before the official post game are,

Emeziel 1. (stage 1 boss)
Fuka ending (Stage 2 Boss)
Emeziel 2 (stage 3 boss)
Axel ending (stage 6 boss)

A better question is can you get epilouges on any ending or just the main one?

Do Wuss and Motivator reduce the amount of damage you receive or the amount you do to others? I wouldn't put it past this game to screw you over randomly like that, which is why I ask.

nonnocere said:
Are "bad ending" trophies only available post game?
No, you'd have to be in the middle of the story to even qualify for one. You don't have to beat the game once before you can get them.

Epilogues are from the main ending, after the last story battle.

Luigi87

There is no bad ending trophy, all you do is get to fill records in the Data Shop.
The only ending trophies are the epilogues, and beating the game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not sure what I want to do at this point. I keep hopping onto this game when I get home like crack.

I'm at the
Laharl's
fight in the post game. Should I try and restart several times to get a Legendary Claimh Solias from him, or just wait to do that for the Yoshitsuni on
Zetta
?

My highest leveled characters are Fenrich at 1300ish, Tier 6 Wolf at 1100 and a Tier 5 Neko at like 1900. I seem to be just concentrating on leveling up each of the classes, getting their higher tiers, and each time having them turn into a high tiered bouncer once to learn Big Bang.

Charaworld is exhausting. I went through it 3 times as Valvatorez. Once to get Big Bang, and 2 times to get movement+. On my last trip through I accidentally didn't have him in any evil symbols by mistake, I was trying to expand the Mana and EXP one even further.
I haven't seen the skill master yet.

I still need to get Big Bang on Fuka, Artina, Emizel, and all of the Post Game characters. I was planning on getting +movement on my Masked Hero for Item worlding.

It seems easy to level up my monsters, but they don't seem very useful in reverse pirating.

I haven't done anything to unlock the X-Dimension or Land of Carnage
I haven't restarted the story even once, so I haven't gotten a Scyborg yet.

I tried reverse-pirating once and it was like a wtf. I tried to get some of my characters over to pick up the hostages. A pirate ship came out of no where with several biosuits including a level 1800 one. I killed all of the biosuits completely except the boss who was low on HP and I think he self destructed himself. All of a sudden my ship up and left right after that. I had no idea what happened at first.

I don't know what my next step should be.

scy

Trojita said:
I'm at the
Laharl's
fight in the post game. Should I try and restart several times to get a Legendary Claimh Solias from him, or just wait to do that for the Yoshitsuni on
Zetta
?

You can get a Claiomh Solais from the X-Dimension
10-6
fight; there's 5 of them so it's a greater chance. That said, I'd just wait for the
Zetta
fight.

Charaworld is exhausting.

Tell me about it :/

It seems easy to level up my monsters, but they don't seem very useful in reverse pirating.

Really? I find them to be a god send, really. They can bounce things off of them multiple times per turn so you can set up two or three throws back to ship with one throw each rather than 5+. Makes a huge difference when you're trying to get the Level Sphere and 8 Innocents back to the ship.

I tried reverse-pirating once and it was like a wtf. I tried to get some of my characters over to pick up the hostages. A pirate ship came out of no where with several biosuits including a level 1800 one. I killed all of the biosuits completely except the boss who was low on HP and I think he self destructed himself. All of a sudden my ship up and left right after that. I had no idea what happened at first.

Make a ship that has their "Turns to stay" maxed out at 9; if you can't do the Reverse Pirating over the course of 9 turns, you'll probably just need to put it off for a bit. Or just suck it up and kill some of the Innocents you want rather than throwing them back to the ship. They'll come at a lower level but at least you get them.

As for the Pirates, there's two kinds (and they share the same ship, the Mini Yoshitsuna) but they're not that common in my experience.

Nose Master said:
So wait, those stat potions are permanent boosts? Can you increase the boost by item worlding them? Is it worth it?

They're semi-permanent. If you reincarnate, you lose the bonus stats. You can level them via the Item World but it's not worth it; they're meant for you to put stat-boosting Innocents on them and use them that way. Which makes them rather useless if you're not duping 19,998 Innocents by the truckload.

You can stat cap all your important stats without them at 300% Aptitudes (or cap them all if you sacrifice an Evilty slot for Violence) so they're not super useful.

scy

Just as a note for people, the most recent JP Patch fixes the new Item Duping method (the try it on one). No idea if the upcoming US Patch will also remove it but worth mentioning.

scy said:
Just as a note for people, the most recent JP Patch fixes the new Item Duping method (the try it on one). No idea if the upcoming US Patch will also remove it but worth mentioning.

Oh darn, guess I missed the chance to even get statisticians onto my items since I took a break, unless there is a way to no get the update?

scy said:
Sadly, it probably will. Guess I'll have to pick the game back up before the DLC hits.
Dedication Through Light said:
Oh darn, guess I missed the chance to even get statisticians onto my items since I took a break, unless there is a way to no get the update?
Don't connect to the internet. Or, updates usually ask for permission first, so just decline it. Unless there's some DLC you want, there's no reason to update.

scy

You might not be able to use the online features (i.e., like capturing my Pirates) without the update. But, other than that, you can just opt out of the patch until you're done with all that you need.

Finally got around to picking this up, about to sink my teeth into it!

Been playing a lot of Disgaea 2 lately, never played 3. Will be interesting to see all the new developments.

EDIT: whoa, that's a big patch.

Stuart444

My Disgaea 4 has been charged for at Shopto meaning I should get it sometime this week :D yay, been a long wait since the american version came out.

NeoNess said:
I haven't had access to the PSN Store in a bit - are there any additional DLC available other than the initial free one?

Nope, nothing new has been added yet. It should come out sometime this month, but that's about all we know.

Just started playing this game. Never played a Disgaea game before (or any SRPG for that matter) so I'm a bit of a virgin here. How does getting experience work? Does a particular character have to get the killing blow? It seems like Valvatorez and Fenrich are levelling up like crazy whereas my mages and healers almost never level up, they're extremely underlevelled and feel almost useless. They usually do 0 damage or miss. I tried bringing them into lower level fights so that they can try to get killing blows, but it's not working out very well.

How do I level these guys up more easily?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
cpp_is_king said:
Just started playing this game. Never played a Disgaea game before (or any SRPG for that matter) so I'm a bit of a virgin here. How does getting experience work? Does a particular character have to get the killing blow? It seems like Valvatorez and Fenrich are levelling up like crazy whereas my mages and healers almost never level up, they're extremely underlevelled and feel almost useless. They usually do 0 damage or miss. I tried bringing them into lower level fights so that they can try to get killing blows, but it's not working out very well.

Whoever gets the killing blow gets the EXP. Also there is EXP awarded at the end of a stage through the bonus gauge. It gives the EXP to all members currently out on the field

Healers, not much you can do besides equip them with a bow. Healing a party member does grant some experience but it isn't a lot.

Mage, you can boost them by just putting orbs on them to make their int a lot higher so that they can actually kill something to level up.

So you aren't wasting your time, a good thing to do is not bother trying to keep on leveling them on lower levels and to just keep going through the game. You'll get an evil symbol that
gives party members in the evil symbol area with the person getting EXP a share of the EXP
. Also you can do Team Attacks where you use a strong character adjacent to your character your trying to level, when attacking. When an enemy is killed in a team attack the EXP is all shared between the team that is attacking and killed it.

Ewww to both of those. Was something announced? I can't find anything new.

So, since it's November and we should be getting some DLC soon, I decided to finish building my perfect items. I hate the innocent spawn rate so much.

cpp_is_king said:

Having one or two high level characters carry you through battles will work for a while, but you'll eventually run into a problem down the line with winning some of the tougher fights when your best characters don't have the back up that they need.

On the other hand, having only one or two really good characters will still get you pretty far in Item World (which is also a decent place to earn mana, experience, and money). Like Trojita mentioned, you can pop out a bunch of other characters to partake in any experience related map clearing bonuses.

Equipment counts for a lot more than levels, though, so it's generally more efficient in the medium to long run to level up your store and buy better equipment than it is to level your characters in order to obtain an equivalent boost in effectiveness.

Also, when you use magic, you should go for area effect. Once you have decent area effect and damage, mages will become a little easier to level up than your fighters, particularly when you beef up your team with staff-type monsters (who will themselves tend to be decent magic users).

Top Bottom