• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

Tailzo

Ichabod said:
Does this game still have the same character leveling system, i.e. only the person landing the killing blow gets xp? I hated that. Everyone should get xp for beating on mobs.
I often mounted everyone in one tower to make sure I leveled up my weaker allies too.

scy

Owensboro said:
Wow, thanks man. I appreciate the answers. It's so easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff you can do in this game. Although, it's sad to see that most of the things I had questions about are useless if you just want to beat the game.

Probably still going to buy the game. I'm such a sucker for turn based & grid based strategy games.

Keep in mind, most of what I said boils down to "You don't have to do it." If you'd rather use Reincarnating, Item Leveling, and so-on and so-forth throughout the main game, by all means do it. It's just one of those things that you'll spend more time trying to utilize it earlier but with a smaller reward than if you had just put it off.

I will note, though, that any early game reincarnating should basically wait for the Mana to do it at Genius level. The losses you sustain from the other forms is just so not worth it. Exceptions being if it's some throwaway character just to unlock higher tiers or something.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow that was fast, I think I get mine today. Im shocked it only took one day via ground...to get from Anaheim, CA, to Roanoke, VA. I hope competent guides are on gamefaqs for it, Im ready to get my game on.

Doesn't look like there's one yet; I can't imagine the Item Perfecting being _that_ different though and Item Duping is still around, though not as reliable as D3s. If nothing has surfaced in the near future, I can try to get something out I guess?

I feel like I made huge mistakes with reincarnation. Hopefully I won't stat kill my strong characters this time. I made it in the end but I had to put in extra effort to make up for it.

scy

BobTheFork said:
I feel like I made huge mistakes with reincarnation. Hopefully I won't stat kill my strong characters this time. I made it in the end but I had to put in extra effort to make up for it.

Yeah, the most general advice I can give on that is basically just try not to ever deal with negative stat penalties on character creation/reincarnating. If you can, Genius-level only. It's never truly permanent, sure, but it can be a hassle that you'd rather not deal with.

As far as I know, the stat gain formula has yet to really change so every level up means you gain some percentage (close to half; ~46% on average) of your naked Level 1 stats. So if you remove some points in a stat, those few points can snowball into a pretty big loss down the road.

Though, naked stats kind of get overshadowed by equipment eventually so it almost becomes a non-issue. But, early-to-mid game where you may have better naked stats than what equipment gives, it can be quite relevant.

Dammit I registered for NIS newsletter, and I didnt receive any info about when the preorder started :S I just preorder it at nis store.

Nice OT I hope I get the game soon to start playing :D

C.T.

Loto said:
Its been a while but wasn't reincarnating at lvl 9999 guaranteed genius level?

EDIT: in Disgaea 3

yeah, because by then you have way more than the required mana. I think genius level was 5000 mana (depending on the class and tier) and 5000 mana is not easy early in the game. That's what he ment.

edit: thx nearly missed the release. Ordered mine on videogames plus and is already shipped.

Cheska

Some of the trading figures are already on eBay :p Wondering if I should pick up Fenrich now or wait until more pop up.

Ken

Cheska said:
Some of the trading figures are already on eBay :p Wondering if I should pick up Fenrich now or wait until more pop up.

Wouldn't they have been on there for awhile since they've been out in Japan for quite some time?

Negator

Quick side note about reincarnation: don't know about D4 but in D3 when you reincarnated a non generic character (Mao, Almaz, etc) they would gain a permanent 5% aptitude bonus in all stats for the first five reincarnations or so.

Cheska

Oh yes, I love those easy trophies...
that one for just finishing the opening anime.

Yeah, but how many are actually like that? Aren't most of them grind fests?

scy

Negator said:
Quick side note about reincarnation: don't know about D4 but in D3 when you reincarnated a non generic character (Mao, Almaz, etc) they would gain a permanent 5% aptitude bonus in all stats for the first five reincarnations or so.

It was the first 5 (+25%), though I don't remember if it was from reincarnation in general or if it was from a Genius-level reincarnation. This bonus was separate from the normal +100% Aptitude cap via Class World. I'm not sure on the Disgaea 4 mechanic yet (T.T no copy yet) but I imagine it's similar still, though a higher cap (300%).

Also, about the Magichange Weapons (for Disgaea 3, anyway), I forgot there's some shenanigans to be done with Puppy Paw Stick killing MCW-wielding enemies to get a weapon with obscene stats in the Land of Carnage. Kind of a post-game only thing, sure, but there's that. They were better than Level 200 R40 Weapons but had the whole issue with reverting when a stage was finished with it unequipped :/

Dunno if the same will be the case in Disgaea 4 with the Level 300 equipment. They did add more to Magichange with the Giant Monsters, though, to increase AoE sizes and such.

Cheska

With the game already available to some people, are there any legit reviews out? I don't actually pay any mind to the scores, but I usually like to read what complaints of the game are.

Cheska

Volcynika said:
Ok, NISA put another charge on me, after the previous charge went through. I am annoyed. D:

Call them up tomorrow morning!I emailed them first but they hadn't gotten back to me so I called them and they resolved my issue in about 5 minutes.

Volcynika

Rarutos said:
Really? That's pretty terrible. They shipped your order already right? :eek:

Yep. I have the game. A charge that they put on Friday already went through.

Cheska said:
Call them up tomorrow morning!I emailed them first but they hadn't gotten back to me so I called them and they resolved my issue in about 5 minutes.

If I have time, might be a very busy work day tomorrow.

Negator

I just saw the Data NPC and did a quick browse.

Pray to god that you are not OCD because god damn. God. Damn.

I hope I don't have to complete the entire thing for the plat because I think that would make me want to kill myself.

lljride

Negator said:
I just saw the Data NPC and did a quick browse.

Pray to god that you are not OCD because god damn. God. Damn.

I hope I don't have to complete the entire thing for the plat because I think that would make me want to kill myself.

Pretty sure we do :( At least it looks that way from the translated wiki.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try to find a Gamestop that'll sell me the Disgaea 4 guide today. Sucks that there aren't any decent English guides online yet.

Wow I hope there isnt a bad ending for killing an ally teammate. I totally dozed for a moment and realized I killed one of my prinny dudes.
It netted me a trophy though

The team up attacks look amazing.

lljride

Just snagged a copy of the guide. First impression: this thing is fucking tiny. I'm pretty sure the last few Brady guides I've bought were all 300+ pages, this one's just over 190.

At a glance it seems to have the basics covered (story mission maps, character class info, weapon/armor/item lists, trophy list!, etc). I'm not sure how much it will be helpful in the post game though.

Wow I hope there isnt a bad ending for killing an ally teammate. I totally dozed for a moment and realized I killed one of my prinny dudes.
It netted me a trophy though

Doesn't look like that affects any of the endings

TheExodu5

Banned
lljride said:
Just snagged a copy of the guide. First impression: this thing is fucking tiny. I'm pretty sure the last few Brady guides I've bought were all 300+ pages, this one's just over 190.

At a glance it seems to have the basics covered (story mission maps, character class info, weapon/armor/item lists, trophy list!, etc). I'm not sure how much it will be helpful in the post game though.

Well, that's a shame. I have the guide ordered from Amazon. The previous DoubleJumpBooks guide were great.

Excko

78ac33f6.png

took this one.

Thanks!

cj_iwakura

TheExodu5 said:
Well, that's a shame. I have the guide ordered from Amazon. The previous DoubleJumpBooks guide were great.

I expected a non-DJ Disgaea guide being a waste of time. Sad, really.

Sonicbug

So, map creation is made available at episode 4. I’m not sure what the extent of the changes are from the Japanese to english version. I don’t think I was earning any experience from the battle I fought. I won CP. I’m not sure what CP is for except for buying more items to build battle stages with.

Kinda pointless but fun, it let’s you set a... description of sorts for the level from a huge list of somewhat random phrases. Other good news was that the editor is actually pretty easy to use. I was restricted to using my party as enemies though, and you have to be able to beat your own map before it allows you to upload it. I’m still confused to the purpose of the thing at all if you can’t exploit it. Maybe I’m missing something.... The manual doesn’t explain it very well. =/

TheExodu5

Banned
Better than Mao? Although I never ended up finishing D3, I thought Mao was awesome.

Sonicbug said:
So, map creation is made available at episode 4. I’m not sure what the extent of the changes are from the Japanese to english version. I don’t think I was earning any experience from the battle I fought. I won CP. I’m not sure what CP is for except for buying more items to build battle stages with.

Kinda pointless but fun, it let’s you set a... description of sorts for the level from a huge list of somewhat random phrases. Other good news was that the editor is actually pretty easy to use. I was restricted to using my party as enemies though, and you have to be able to beat your own map before it allows you to upload it. I’m still confused to the purpose of the thing at all if you can’t exploit it. Maybe I’m missing something.... The manual doesn’t explain it very well. =/

That's a shame. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
^that song is awesome.

So why is it people disliked Disgaea 3 so much? The characters and music were certainly great from what I played. I guess they really botched the end game? People still preferred Disgaea 1 over Disgaea 2 even though Disgaea 2's end game was far better.

Nix

Banned
NIS says they shipped it to me but have no recollection of my order, or tracker.

I emailed them today, and I hope they get through to me sometime soon. =(

Nix

Banned
Just got it! Holy shit am I excited. The artbook could be better, and the US VA is kind of shitty, in comparison to other Disgaeas, but damn if I don't love the new HD look. It's what I always envisioned Disgaea to look like; and those specials. Damn son.

I'm still on chapter 1 and switched over to JPN VA (Which is alot better) but I'm just so excited I wanted to save the rest for tonight. Damn, if this isn't an awesome day. Especially when I though NISA botched my order.

Nix

Banned
Majukun said:
why ps3 esclusive....whyyyyyy?
It's probably coming to Vita in a year or two, so it's all good; I'm happy with this anyway. Disgaea is primarily a SONY franchise though. Kinda like DQ and Nintendo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Majukun said:
why ps3 esclusive....whyyyyyy?

Vita port probably next year sometime, if I were to guess.

Otherwise, NIS has put Disgaea on DS, PS2, and PSP, so you could always play those instead.

KaYotiX

Banned
Gamely sent it, I'll prolly keep it and use my GF bucks :) always loved the series. I need to jump back into the PSP releases also

Top Bottom