• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Zaph

I like playing these games with stealth and no kills/detection - but I picked Emily. Have I fucked up already?

Also, I'm just at the Outsider's Mark choice - do I accept or turn it down for a more enjoyable stealth game?

carlsojo

I like playing these games with stealth and no kills/detection - but I picked Emily. Have I fucked up already?

Also, I'm just at the Outsider's Mark choice - do I accept or turn it down for a more enjoyable stealth game?

You haven't fucked up at all. Emily is perfectly capable with her powers.

Honestly I would play through with powers first, the game is probably much harder without.

Goddamn the level design, graphics and atmosphere are excellent. Real great sense of place.

Yep. Their world building is second to none and the series probably has my favorite art design. You could remove the enemies or the game aspect altogether and I think I would still wind up with plenty of hours from just exploring and looking at things.

BSpot

For obvious reasons, no real reviews exist yet. How are you folks liking it on PS4 (pro?) Is it good? Is this a buy??

Mifec

Item question
Anyone know where the key for the black market shop robbery is in Dunwall, the message in front says that it was dropped behind some bottle, we can't find that anywhere and then to take the traders to Boyle Investments which is just full of Hatters and no key. Help pls

Anung

Un Rama
Something feels off about the stealth to me. I'm having quite a hard time getting around even if I'm up high in places they probably shouldn't see me at. For reference I got the platinum in the original and consider myself quite good at stealth games.

Has the Pro update been detailed yet ? It's been looking and running really well so curious to find out what exactly has been enhanced.

Apparently it runs at a near complete 30 lock compared to what i'm hearing from people playing OG. The game is running at higher than 1080. When downsampled the clarity is pretty damn sharp and clean.

sdornan

Can anyone with the Pro confirm that this game doesn't support HDR? I immediately got a prompt when I started The Last of Us, but nothing in this game. TV settings show the HDR is off. That sucks, because I just assumed all Pro games featured HDR, but I guess not.

Certinty

For obvious reasons, no real reviews exist yet. How are you folks liking it on PS4 (pro?) Is it good? Is this a buy??
Liking it a lot, far more than the first game at least. Game isn't stunning looking on the Pro but so far it seems to run well and looks very clean, so it's pretty good.

Sorry, I haven't kept up with this game at all despite looking forward to it...no reviews yet at all? Isn't it out today (11th)?

J_Viper

Kind of a drag to hear the writing/VA hasn't improved. The dull narrative of the first one basically killed it for me, despite how great the level design was.

How are the non-lethal options this time around? Is it enjoyable to go that route, or are you only limited to sleep darts again?

Btw, for those who don't know already, you can check your stats in the menu during the middle of a mission in case you wanna know if you killed someone or got detected.

Also, quick save/quick load are available on consoles as well.

Kind of a drag to hear the writing/VA hasn't improved. The dull narrative of the first one basically killed it for me, despite how great the level design was.

How are the non-lethal options this time around? Is it enjoyable to go that route, or are you only limited to sleep darts again?

A lot of Emily's power can be used for non-lethal applications (Domino, Shadow Walk, Mesmerize, and Far Reach for yanking enemies and choking them out).

There are some new non-lethal gear as well like stun mines (which shocks and knocks out enemies), howling bolts (which blinds enemies), and stinging bolts (causing an immense pain to an enemy, forcing him/her to flee)

Karak

Something feels off about the stealth to me. I'm having quite a hard time getting around even if I'm up high in places they probably shouldn't see me at. For reference I got the platinum in the original and consider myself quite good at stealth games.

Distract them off. Its most likely by earshot due to the audio bug that both you and enemies can hear far farther than expected. I used a lot of thrown item to get them farther away. After that its cake.
Can anyone with the Pro confirm that this game doesn't support HDR? I immediately got a prompt when I started The Last of Us, but nothing in this game. TV settings show the HDR is off. That sucks, because I just assumed all Pro games featured HDR, but I guess not.

no hdr

Wanderer5

Btw, for those who don't know already, you can check your stats in the menu during the middle of a mission in case you wanna know if you killed someone or got detected.

Also, quick save/quick load are available on consoles as well.

A lot of Emily's power can be used for non-lethal applications (Domino, Shadow Walk, Mesmerize, and Far Reach for yanking enemies and choking them out).

There are some new non-lethal gear as well like stun mines (which shocks and knocks out enemies), howling bolts (which blinds enemies), and stinging bolts (causing an immense pain to an enemy, forcing him/her to flee)

Oh sweet some more type of non-lethal bolts.

And being able to check the stats during a mission is godsend.

Cursed Einstein's Riddle puzzle... And it doesn't even give enough properly linked hints. Damnit Arkane.

Got a spreadsheet here that I'm fiddling with in frustration.

Staf

Just downloaded it and started the tutorial... Is it just me or is there quite huge inout lag? I'm finding it hard to not over-adjust the camera.

Crashed my Playstation twice before I could get it to even start. Stayed on the splash screen, and made my Ps4 sound like a dying car. Thankfully it worked the third time. Was starting to get mad.

Anung

Un Rama
Just downloaded it and started the tutorial... Is it just me or is there quite huge inout lag? I'm finding it hard to not over-adjust the camera.

Go into the options and put friction down to zero and sensitivity up until it feels good.

Non lethal is dramatically improved. Lots of lethal options before have been modified to provide non-lethal variants. You can even fight enemies straight up and have non-lethal maneuvers.

Karak

Crashed my Playstation twice before I could get it to even start. Stayed on the splash screen, and made my Ps4 sound like a dying car. Thankfully it worked the third time. Was starting to get mad.

Interesting you say that. This morning a number of subscribers are reporting that as well. Enough that it got into the discord chat and others were chiming in,. Not sure whats up there but I know they were going to inform the devs

Hard to say, based off that criticism I would've thought you enjoyed Deus Ex: HR more...

Hard to say, but I'm erring to no, as it really does feel like a sequel that is largely more of the same.

Thanks folks, i'll hold back for now at least. This certainly doesn't seem like another case of DOOM where it transpires on the day after release that the game must be bought at all costs...

Hopefully some reviews will pop up soon (if they haven't already).

Cheers again.

abundant

Non lethal is dramatically improved. Lots of lethal options before have been modified to provide non-lethal variants. You can even fight enemies straight up and have non-lethal maneuvers.

Yep. Even some of the powers, like Emily's Shadow Walk, gives you a choice between lethal or non-lethal.

Hagi

Anyone have issues with the audio cutting out on ps4? I'm playing on the pro and just started the tutorial and the audio keeps jumping and the background music disappears for seconds at a time. Not really ideal...

Tovarisc

Anyone have issues with the audio cutting out on ps4? I'm playing on the pro and just started the tutorial and the audio keeps jumping and the background music disappears for seconds at a time. Not really ideal...

It's general issue in the game, in every level. You can hear someone talking few meters out, but take 0.5 steps to right and person talking goes mute. Audio from dialogue to music can and do randomly cut off or go very quiet.

d00d3n

I cannot get the hang of this. Really getting frustrated. Guards everywhere.

Are you using throwable items to lure enemies away? Has helped me break up a couple of "impossible" situations. Is really effective when combined with the air attack takedown.

Cartho

Redirective Blink is awesome./ Getting into a 2 V 1 fight, letting them run at you, then disappearing and reappearing behind them: "Hey, where'd he go?". They swing round wildly, looking for you, but it's too late, you're on them like a panther, skewering one with a crossbow bolt between the eyes and slicing the other's head clean from his shoulders.

God this game's combat is brilliant.

I'm playing through the original and the DLCs first since that came with my order of 2. Pretty nice deal. I wanna do a low chaos run as I did high chaos on my playthrough back when 1 first came out. Ghost and Clean Hands let's do this.

Redirective Blink is awesome./ Getting into a 2 V 1 fight, letting them run at you, then disappearing and reappearing behind them: "Hey, where'd he go?". They swing round wildly, looking for you, but it's too late, you're on them like a panther, skewering one with a crossbow bolt between the eyes and slicing the other's head clean from his shoulders.

God this game's combat is brilliant.

That was my problem with the first game. Combat was super amazing but you were kind of punished for exercising it.

Aha, I think I figured out the riddle upon further inspection of the prose. I remembered one key ingredient of Einstein's Riddle that Jindosh's tries to downplay. Very clever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are you using throwable items to lure enemies away? Has helped me break up a couple of "impossible" situations. Is really effective when combined with the air attack takedown.
They can see me when I'm above them! I totally don't get it.

While I agree the A.I are sometimes supernatural (no pun intended), the fact they can see above you was basically addressing the A.I complaints back in the first game (How they can't see the player from above, not aware of a wall of light being disabled, and so on)

jacobeid

Banned
Just picked this up from Redbox. The controls feel suuuuper loose. Not a fan.

Edit: set the friction level to 0 and we're good now.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Their vision cone does seem to extend a fair bit higher on the Z-axis than in the previous game, for sure. And with Emily, at least, it's not necessarily indicated as well by the dark vision power.

Are you talking straight vertical above them? Or in front of them a good distance up?

No, its something you can do while attacking enemies from above. Basically, you drop at an enemy above their heads and you can choose whether to kill them or knock them out

It is pretty 'finicky' in whether or not you're close enough when dropping to execute the drop attack, though.

I've dropped down, pressed RB right as I presume I'm dropping down on a person, and then stupidly hold up my sword for a block on the ground.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Their vision cone does seem to extend a fair bit higher on the Z-axis than in the previous game, for sure. And with Emily, at least, it's not necessarily indicated as well by the dark vision power.

Are you talking straight vertical above them? Or in front of them a good distance up?

It is pretty 'finicky' in whether or not you're close enough when dropping to execute the drop attack, though.

I've dropped down, pressed RB right as I presume I'm dropping down on a person, and then stupidly hold up my sword for a block on the ground.

For example this just happened to me. In mission 3, right at the start, there are two guards in the center. I blink to one of the window ledges and they are inside the doorway. One of them sees me. This isn't normal. This game is sucking IMO.

Top Bottom