• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

10 hours in. Just like the first Dishonored, I feel like this game plays like a 7/10 nonlethal and a 9/10 lethal. Even with the expanded nonlethal options, it's significantly more fun when you go high chaos.

If you want to go nonlethal to get a satisfying conclusion to the story, you'll be sacrificing enjoyment and likely have to quicksave/quickload every few minutes due to errors you'll naturally make in the unfamiliar and complex maps.

If you want to go lethal and have the most fun gameplay, you'll be sacrificing important characters/dialogue and end up with a far inferior story experience.

If you want a compelling argument for why ludonarrative dissonance should exist, why Nathan Drake/Lara Croft/etc can murder hundreds of people in their games without any major consequences, the Dishonored franchise is it.

Staf

10 hours in. Just like the first Dishonored, I feel like this game plays like a 7/10 nonlethal and a 9/10 lethal. Even with the expanded nonlethal options, it's significantly more fun when you go high chaos.

If you want to go nonlethal to get a satisfying conclusion to the story, you'll be sacrificing enjoyment and likely have to quicksave/quickload every few minutes due to errors you'll naturally make in the unfamiliar and complex maps.

If you want to go lethal and have the most fun gameplay, you'll be sacrificing important characters/dialogue and end up with a far inferior story experience.

If you want a compelling argument for why ludonarrative dissonance should exist, why Nathan Drake/Lara Croft/etc can murder hundreds of people in their games without any major consequences, the Dishonored franchise is it.

That's kind of fucked up.

A-V-B

Considering I'm non-lethal first time through in these games, and the pc performance is garbage, I think I'll wait for a sale and pick up Planet Coaster instead. Thanks.

Considering there are non-lethal combat moves, non-lethal gadgets and non-lethal applications to powers, I disagree with your assessment.

With a lot of non-lethal options, some players can play it like Batman if they wish. I don't believe non-lethal should equally mean full stealth.

Of course, if people were expecting non-lethal to be as chaotic and messy as lethal play-style, then they set themselves up for disappointment

I feel like some people who aren't satisfied with non-lethal just want the lethal cake and eat it too if you get my meaning.

JerkShep

Completed Mission 1 and 2 on Hard. The missions are quite long if you aim to explore the area well, I'm getting the hang of it but it's definitely not a cakewalk playing non lethally, there are a lot of guards on Hard. The civilians AI seems a bit buggy, they react randomly sometimes, alternating between normal behavior and total panic. And I could swore at some point new guards spawned in the level, or they teleported from other locations, it was quite strange. I miss a bit of the more creative objectives of the first Dishonored had, unitl now Dis2 has a lot of "go from A to B" but not many ways to resolve objectives in creative ways.

Performance on PS4 is fine but there are some ugly artifacts here and there and definitely some pop in. Nothing game breaking until now fortunately.

shiba5

I've been running non-lethal and loving it - but that's how I like to play. The environments are huge and incredibly detailed so I spend hours sneaking around and choking everyone out so I can look at everything. I'm still managing to miss a ton of stuff.

Tovarisc

Mission 5 nonlethal approach to primary target is bugged for everyone apparently. Just watched Cohhcarnage do nonlethal on primary taget and 2 random NPC's died. For me nonlethal approach kills 1 to 4 NPC's depending where on the map I have them.

So basically anyone doing no-kills run be VERY afraid of Mission 5, it may ruin your run without workaround known!

valeu

I'm on OG PS4, and downloaded the game digitally.

I almost finished mission 2 last night. Today I get an error message when I try to use any of my save files or auto-save files:
"An error has occurred in the following application (CE-34878-0) Dishonored 2"

I tried everything I could think of...quitting out of the app and re-starting, trying another app then dishonored, re-starting my ps4, and i keep getting the error message. My system software is updated and game is updated. All of my other games work fine.

Should I just start a new game? I'm afraid the same thing could happen again. Or should I delete the game and re-download? Please help

Just finished the first mission completely non-lethal, which is a first for me with this series (I sucked at Dishonored 1).

Stealth feels far more satisfying and rewarding in this than Mankind Divided. Surprised at some of the impressions above saying that non-lethal is no fun.

Just finished the first mission completely non-lethal, which is a first for me with this series (I sucked at Dishonored 1).

Stealth feels far more satisfying and rewarding in this than Mankind Divided. Surprised at some of the impressions above saying that non-lethal is no fun.

I don't get it either. Arkane addressed the non-lethal complaints from the first game and added more non-lethal options to play with.

Like, what more do you want?

Guess that's why all the prerelease footage featured a bunch of ass whooping in broad daylight.

Dishonored 1's pre-release footage was the same case as well.

Wanderer5

Yeah not doing ghost lol, but I having fun with non-lethal for now. Is being able to choke hold a enemy after getting them off balance in a sword fight new?

I left off in chapter 2 just getting out of a building that has bloodflies, and man that creep me out lol.

Also bit of spoiler in regards to the black market.
I gotten the sunken loot or whatever map from the guy and is that in the first dock area of the chapter, or is it later on?

Dommel

I'm on OG PS4, and downloaded the game digitally.

I almost finished mission 2 last night. Today I get an error message when I try to use any of my save files or auto-save files:
"An error has occurred in the following application (CE-34878-0) Dishonored 2"

Should I just start a new game? I'm afraid the same thing could happen again. Or should I delete the game and re-download? Please help

Did your try to redownload and overwrite your save file from the PS+ storage?

Timeaisis

I can't for the life of me tell whether I'm in a neutral zone or not. Like it seems like the game encourages talking to civillians and exploring but I frequently get attacked this way. I don't understand this. An I supposed to stealth at all times?

I can't for the life of me tell whether I'm in a neutral zone or not. Like it seems like the game encourages talking to civillians and exploring but I frequently get attacked this way. I don't understand this. An I supposed to stealth at all times?

There's a visual cue at the top of the screen taht tells whether you are in a neutral territory or hostile territory. Any areas with guards in them are considered hostile territory

Timeaisis

There's a visual cue at the top of the screen taht tells whether you are in a neutral territory or hostile territory. Any areas with guards in them are considered hostile territory

Where? The one that flashes once? Because it's hard to keep track sometimes.

That feel when you (mission 6 spoilers)
crack the riddle by yourself

giphy.gif

How does input lag make it into the final build of a major release like this? What a fuck up. At least by the time I get this game, it will hopefully be patched. In fact, I may just wait until that actually happens.

I'm confused by this simply because the first game was so good.

It sounds like maybe they needed a few more weeks (eg ACG review talking about sound and AI errors) but wanted to keep their launch date

Still sounds awesome so want to pick this game up at some time

the lethal vs non-leathal in stealth games is really funny to me. So you either shot a gun with a bullet or you shot with a traq. Either way, you took him off the board so you can move unopposed, so what fuckin difference does it really make? The end result of Enemy A is no longer moving/able to spot you is the same.

taoofjord

the lethal vs non-leathal in stealth games is really funny to me. So you either shot a gun with a bullet or you shot with a traq. Either way, you took him off the board so you can move unopposed, so what fuckin difference does it really make? The end result of Enemy A is no longer moving/able to spot you is the same.

You're thinking of it from a purely mechanical perspective. If you're not the kind of player that gets immersed in a game then there no difference beyond any potential story related stuff.

Timeaisis

Yes I agree. However in these games you get different story outcomes by killing, which I'm not a fan of.

Mostly i play stealth games transitioning from stealth to offense when I get spotted. Here, you have very few options dealing with enemies nonlethally in combat so you are basically forced to reload. Which the game pacing all kinds of messed up.

I wish I could just rain death when I wanted to with no consequence. Ah well. High chaos it is I guess.

steven28

I'm on mission 3 and so far it's a great game with amazing art design and good gameplay.The two things that i'm not liking so far are the enemy a.i and the lean mechanic doesn't seem as precise as it was in the first game.The enemies seem to see me through walls as well,it's happend a few times which is quite annoying if you are trying to ghost a level.Other than those two things it's an excellent sequel so far.

Now that I got the whole game downloaded and a long work day, I'm gonna soak this game in and properly. I'm gonna restart the game from the beginning, explore every nook and cranny and have a chill night of Dishonored 2.

SJRB

Gold Member
Having Max Payne narrate literally every move you make is getting kinda annoying.

I liked Corvo way better as the silent protagonist in the first.

Having Max Payne narrate literally every move you make is getting kinda annoying.

I liked Corvo way better as the silent protagonist in the first.

Well, Harvey Smith admitted dozens of times about how he regretted not giving Corvo a voice in the first game.

However, considering I played original Thief games (Not the 2014 reboot, mind you) a while ago, I don't mind Emily/Corvo monologues.

Mr. Tibbs

Well, Harvey Smith admitted dozens of times about how he regretted not giving Corvo a voice in the first game.

However, considering I played original Thief games (Not the 2014 reboot, mind you) a while ago, I don't mind Emily/Corvo monologues.

The VO here falls far short of the Thief trilogy. I definitely preferred the silent approach from Dishonored 1.

http://kotaku.com/5950193/dishonoreds-writer-thinks-that-gordon-freeman-is-creepy-as-hell
"Corvo doesn't talk and I think it works because everybody knows what Corvo would have to say," Grossman continued.

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/...-with-the-creators-of-the-epic-dystopian-game
Why did you choose not to give a voice to Corvo, the protagonist of the game?
Mitton: The question was raised several times during the development of the game. We even wondered if we should saddle him with an asthmatic Darth Vader voice because of his mask. But the voice is a narration parameter which can slow down the action.

Antonov: If you pay attention to the characters of the game, you notice that they are generally quite stylized and simplified, because we wanted the player to identify with Corvo. Our endeavor was to give free reign to the players’ imaginations, and that requires a limited amount of information for them to project themselves.

A-V-B

The VO here falls far short of the Thief trilogy. I definitely preferred the silent approach from Dishonored 1.

http://kotaku.com/5950193/dishonoreds-writer-thinks-that-gordon-freeman-is-creepy-as-hell
"Corvo doesn't talk and I think it works because everybody knows what Corvo would have to say," Grossman continued.

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/...-with-the-creators-of-the-epic-dystopian-game
Why did you choose not to give a voice to Corvo, the protagonist of the game?
Mitton: The question was raised several times during the development of the game. We even wondered if we should saddle him with an asthmatic Darth Vader voice because of his mask. But the voice is a narration parameter which can slow down the action.

Antonov: If you pay attention to the characters of the game, you notice that they are generally quite stylized and simplified, because we wanted the player to identify with Corvo. Our endeavor was to give free reign to the players’ imaginations, and that requires a limited amount of information for them to project themselves.

Boy, do I miss Viktor Antonov's touch on this.

FaintDeftone

I started playing on PS4 and was having a great time, but the performance on the standard PS4 is kinda rough. Was about to pull the trigger on a PC version and apparently that version performs horribly too right now.

Jharp

Oh cool, just noticed there aren't achievements for difficulty. Now I can play through non-lethally on hard because very hard is fucking balls, and then go down to normal and play lethal as fuck.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In the first mission, I made it a goal to murder everyone. Revenge for the coup and all that.

The second mission, I went no-kill, but got spotted a lot. I still got a High chaos rating.

Are kills tied to Chaos or is it entirely about how much noise you caused and how much you got spotted? If that's the case, I'm going to go lethal when it feels right. There seem to be a lot of really shitty people in this game that deserve to die, but I didn't want to get a negative ending if I can avoid it.

Oh cool, just noticed there aren't achievements for difficulty. Now I can play through non-lethally on hard because very hard is fucking balls, and then go down to normal and play lethal as fuck.

Dishonored 1 didn't have an achievement for completing it in the highest difficulty either, thankfully.

Still, hard difficulty felt more challenging than in the first game which is a good thing in my mind (A.I issues not withstanding)

In the first mission, I made it a goal to murder everyone. Revenge for the coup and all that.

The second mission, I went no-kill, but got spotted a lot. I still got a High chaos rating.

Are kills tied to Chaos or is it entirely about how much noise you caused and how much you got spotted? If that's the case, I'm going to go lethal when it feels right. There seem to be a lot of really shitty people in this game that deserve to die, but I didn't want to get a negative ending if I can avoid it.

The Heart is more useful for telling you an NPC's morality. Let's say the heart reveals that a guard is sadistic and murderous. Killing him will only affect your chaos for a small margin. However, if you kill an NPC who's genuinely helping people and trying to make society better, it'll have a bigger effect on chaos.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I think the issue with the chaos meter is that, while the heart is better for determining low/high chaos, it's a band-aid approach.

If you're going stealth, you're likely to reload anyways, and if you're going high chaos, there's no reason to sniff out his/her past unless you want a specific achievement.

One different approach would be to tie it to the 'bosses' of each level, but that obviously runs the risk of having the whole stealth element become near worthless from a contextual standpoint.

That, or they should have the chaos meter somewhat more visible/non-arbitrary to the player, though that also runs the risk of 'gaming' the system somewhat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't like the chaos system, but I was just wondering what affects it the most.

It's kind of absurd that I can get a high chaos rating while also getting the pacifist rating or whatever it's called for not killing anyone.

I guess I just assumed that lethal = high chaos, but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case. Instead, mistakes = chaos, which just encourages save and reload tactics... No idea why a developer would want to do this.

GavinUK86

Does anyone know if Rapollo,
the guy you can save at the wall of light in Karnaca actually gives you anything or not if you do save him
?

AHA-Lambda

Fuck that puzzle in mission 6!

Wasted over an hour trying to do it on my own, gave up and the solution given makes NO sense from the clues.

my transcript said natsiou was on the far left
she was 4th in the row!

Furious, I've wasted so much time now over a broken puzzle.

Top Bottom