• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Corpekata

Banned
Are there ANY options for nonlethally dealing with enemies after getting spotted? Reloading constantly is atrocious.

There's a bolt that makes them get confused and forget you similar to the Chokedust from DH1. Stun Mines. Perfect block + non lethal attack. Running away, of course.

Smasher89

Watching a stream with the game, a couple of hours in, a cutscene loses the voice a couple hours later the game freezes, when rebooting the game wont start (until power gets cut and the game rebooted a couple of times(some times console didn't seem to even boot up). Looked kinda scary!

Are there ANY options for nonlethally dealing with enemies after getting spotted? Reloading constantly is atrocious.

Tons, if you time your block right, you can press the choke out button and knock the person out, use sleep darts, confusion darts, or run away. You can also use slow time, blink, possession, or far reach.

Just gotta utilize your moveset.

Timeaisis

Tons, if you time your block right, you can press the choke out button and knock the person out, use sleep darts, confusion darts, or run away. You can also use slow time, blink, possession, or far reach.

Just gotta utilize your moveset.

Choke out just gets them murdered by their own kind. Have zero stun darts. Running away does not seem to work at all on certain levels, considering the amount of guards that get alerted

Karak

Watching a stream with the game, a couple of hours in, a cutscene loses the voice a couple hours later the game freezes, when rebooting the game wont start (until power gets cut and the game rebooted a couple of times(some times console didn't seem to even boot up). Looked kinda scary!

Ya the other threads and some twitters are filled with folks reporting more console freezes. I just dont get it.

Wanderer5

3rd mission was pretty cool to go through. Apparently missed quite a few coins lol. I probably get through Clockwork mansion later tonight.

Gets them murdered by their own kind? What?

Yeah it can happen if another guard is attacking you while you choke holding someone. I guess the game sees it that you using the guard as a meat shield or whatever.

Stoze

Choke out just gets them murdered by their own kind. Have zero stun darts. Running away does not seem to work at all on certain levels, considering the amount of guards that get alerted

Instead of taking time to choke them, throw them immediately and you can kick them when they're staggered after that for an instant knock-out. More options are slide attack into knock out, chloroform bottles, throwing shit at their head to knock them out or stagger, etc.. As far as powers go they are almost all useful for non-lethal route. Mesmerize and doppelganger can act as instant crowd control or escape measures, fully upgraded Far Reach seems great for quick take downs in combat as well. There's also 3 different kinds of non-lethal crossbow darts.

carlsojo

They slash at me and kill the guy I'm choking out.

Edit: I guess I should mention every time I get seen I get attacked by like three dudes at once.

Oh I thought you meant they like killed them after you had already knocked them out haha. Umm yeahhh if you're getting spotted by 3 guys at once you should rethink your approach.

Uhhh. Does the performance get better? I'm on the PS4 Pro (1440p monitor at a buddies place whose on a TV with a standard PS4) our performance is pretty much identical and I don't see any obvious advantageous. We both seem to be getting sub 30 fps and the controls are extremely sticky.

We've only played the tutorial so far.

I was pretty down on this after Mission 4, but I loved Mission 5. Really hoping the
clockwork knights
were just a one-off thing because I did not enjoy them at all.

Uhhh. Does the performance get better? I'm on the PS4 Pro (1440p monitor at a buddies place whose on a TV with a standard PS4) our performance is pretty much identical and I don't see any obvious advantageous. We both seem to be getting sub 30 fps and the controls are extremely sticky.

Yeah I have to say the game is great but the engine doesn't seem to be performing well. On an OG PS4.

I'm also finding it pretty tough :| Didn't have too much trouble with dishonored but I'm just finding the toolset has been toned down, enemy placement is more aggressive, getting spotted is easier and combat is tougher. Playing on normal too. I'm sure I'm just not good but it's been a bit frustrating. Every rune is surrounded by bad guys too.

Timeaisis

Oh I thought you meant they like killed them after you had already knocked them out haha. Umm yeahhh if you're getting spotted by 3 guys at once you should rethink your approach.

There are some runes that seem impossible to get without being attacked by like three guards. Level 3, fwiw. Only have blink, bend time and dark vision right now.

Wanderer5

There are some runes that seem impossible to get without being attacked by like three guards. Level 3, fwiw. Only have blink, bend time and dark vision right now.

Least in some cases, you can distract them with a throw-able item, and blink in to grab the rune when they are busy checking out the noise.

Karak

No.
When you say sticky I am not sure if you mean the input lag that folks found or something else but the GFX continue to fluctuate on all console versions all the way through.

shiba5

If you are going for a clean hands run, don't possess people and choke them out near any blood fly swarms - instant death. Although it's kind of cool watching the bloodflies build a nest in the body. And by cool, I mean gross.

Wanderer5

Wait it says it global stats that I apparently have 1 kill count. The hell I pretty sure I had gotten the no kills notice for the last three missions....

Edit: Oh wait maybe I getting confuse on what global stats is. No kills in the playthrough stats.

Refunded.

I don't like the AI in this game. Civilians in particular act completely irrationally and can easily mess up stealth runs.

Hopefully they drastically improve things with patches. Was really looking forward to this game too.

Tovarisc

100% no-kills runner read

I found workaround for 100% no-kills ruining bug in the Mission 05. Kinda amazing how sloppily they have made that check.

Earlier today when I was running this mission I came across bug that when I did nonlethal takedown on primary target of mission I also ended up killing 1 to 3 random NPC's. Effectively ruining 100% no-kills playthrough. After doing some testing I was able to come up with theory and test it, workaround was found.

Here is what I recommended for everyone doing M05 and aiming for 100% no-kills;
  • Create hard save at beginning of mission and when entering target area
  • When within target area ignore as many NPC's as possible, do not knockout them!
  • Figure out how nonlethal takedown works in this mission and then execute it with as many as possible NPC's still up and about. Being fast helps and not being shy with use of saves.
If you knockout too many NPC's it's when bug occurs and unavoidable deaths happens, game sees them as you killing them. You can complete all main and side objectives even if and when you take out main target early on.

Also create e.g. quick save just before doing nonlethal takedown, just in case.

If you are completionist you need to do this, you can watch whole cutscene. I skip.. for reasons, but execution is important; https://gfycat.com/IdealPossibleBigmouthbass

Post-mission stats: http://imgur.com/a/UoXHO

Karak

Feels unresponsive and innacurate.

Thats the input lag most likely. Testers said it was 15-25ms more than the previous title.
Refunded.

I don't like the AI in this game. Civilians in particular act completely irrationally and can easily mess up stealth runs.

Hopefully they drastically improve things with patches. Was really looking forward to this game too.

Sadly ya right now its reactions to things can appear off.

Grisby

About 3 hours in. Just dickin around in the first hub area. Yeah, framerate is a bit iffy and the guards are still all basically Hawkeye, but it's still pretty fun.

Art direction is spot on.

Funny as hell though how all the npcs basically mutter over each other.

Teggy

I get what you are saying about the civilians, but they actually react realistically in this game vs. a lot of other games. If you go into a civilian's house they will warn you to get out and if you linger too long they will freak out and call the guards. If you steal from a shopkeeper and they see you they will call the guards. If you are someplace you don't belong in a hostile zone they will warn you to get out and call the guards if you don't. Or if you are someplace you really don't belong they may get immediately frightened.

I think the best part of the game is the level design. There are tons of alternate paths and finding them is a lot of the fun for me. I'll notice something and follow it back and realize I could have skipped a whole part of the map if I had paid better attention to my surroundings. And those paths will be really good to know about if I want to do a ghost run.

carlsojo

I get what you are saying about the civilians, but they actually react realistically in this game vs. a lot of other games. If you go into a civilian's house they will warn you to get out and if you linger too long they will freak out and call the guards. If you steal from a shopkeeper and they see you they will call the guards. If you are someplace you don't belong in a hostile zone they will warn you to get out and call the guards if you don't. Or if you are someplace you really don't belong they may get immediately frightened.

I think the best part of the game is the level design. There are tons of alternate paths and finding them is a lot of the fun for me. I'll notice something and follow it back and realize I could have skipped a whole part of the map if I had paid better attention to my surroundings. And those paths will be really good to know about if I want to do a ghost run.

Yeah I don't get what the other poster means by they act irrational. Don't fuck around near them, don't fuck with their stuff. If you're in their apartment or Chapter 3
their kitchen
just... avoid them?

Catdaddy

On xbox one and couple hours in and liking it so far. I guess I'm just obvious, not noticing and lag or fps drops. Had one cutscene where it looked like the voice sync was off thats it.

Glad for that quick load time, going stealth and had a helluva time in the first mission..

Mifec

Anyone who finished?
Item question
Anyone know where the key for the black market shop robbery is in Dunwall, the message in front says that it was dropped behind some bottle, we can't find that anywhere and then to take the traders to Boyle Investments which is just full of Hatters and no key. Help pls

Well Night 1 completed.

Made it partially through Chapter 4.

I'm loving Far Reach, makes transversal a breeze.

However I feel like my combat is muddled, I've died 39 times on Normal difficulty, some being Darwin Award worthy stupidity but maybe it's because I'm playing on PS4 and not Xbox 360 anymore but combat just seems stiff and unresponsive compared to the smooth fluid nature it was on Dishonored 1.

Also I'm not really sold on this story as much as I was the first game but it's still a solid game. The constant dying and reloading is a bit of a bore though.

Karak

Well Night 1 completed.

Made it partially through Chapter 4.

I'm loving Far Reach, makes transversal a breeze.

However I feel like my combat is muddled, I've died 39 times on Normal difficulty, some being Darwin Award worthy stupidity but maybe it's because I'm playing on PS4 and not Xbox 360 anymore but combat just seems stiff and unresponsive compared to the smooth fluid nature it was on Dishonored 1.

Also I'm not really sold on this story as much as I was the first game but it's still a solid game. The constant dying and reloading is a bit of a bore though.
Input lag. Its been noted and sent to the devs too.

Well at least they're aware of it and going to resolve to fixing it.

Also how many chapters are there in this game? I remember I beat Dishonored in a few days but I'm sure I'll be replaying this game.

Jharp

Getting a blank screen when I switch displays from monitor to HDTV. Trying to update drivers, but I get a similar issue in Hitman. Hopefully drivers are the fix.

EDIT: That's gotta be the first time in years that updating my drivers actually fixed a problem.

They tied the story/endings to the morality stuff again? That's massively disappointing.

Absolutely a huge mistake as compared to important decisions and paths instead like choosing to side or help X or Y. Decide in the situation etc. Simply whether you kill people or not is what killed a lot of my enjoyment in the first game.

Wanderer5

Chapter 4 completed.

Clockwork Mansion was quite interested to go through, as I had hope for.
Like the little puzzle (aka charging up the machine) needed to complete the non-lethal way for Jindosh. Kind of feel bad for him lol, as he was bit of a joy to listen to when he knows you are around, and has created some nice inventions.:p The clockwork soldiers were okay.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Huh something feels off about how this game controls. I turned sensitivity up to 60 and that's helped a bit but it still feels a bit heavy. I read about input lag but it also seems like there might be performance issues?

Is it locked 30 on the pro?

Also...leaning. Guess you're not hidden anymore? Yeah it was op in the first game but now it seems useless as guards seem to see you right away.

100% no-kills runner read

I found workaround for 100% no-kills ruining bug in the Mission 05. Kinda amazing how sloppily they have made that check.

Earlier today when I was running this mission I came across bug that when I did nonlethal takedown on primary target of mission I also ended up killing 1 to 3 random NPC's. Effectively ruining 100% no-kills playthrough. After doing some testing I was able to come up with theory and test it, workaround was found.

Here is what I recommended for everyone doing M05 and aiming for 100% no-kills;
  • Create hard save at beginning of mission and when entering target area
  • When within target area ignore as many NPC's as possible, do not knockout them!
  • Figure out how nonlethal takedown works in this mission and then execute it with as many as possible NPC's still up and about. Being fast helps and not being shy with use of saves.
If you knockout too many NPC's it's when bug occurs and unavoidable deaths happens, game sees them as you killing them. You can complete all main and side objectives even if and when you take out main target early on.

Also create e.g. quick save just before doing nonlethal takedown, just in case.

If you are completionist you need to do this, you can watch whole cutscene. I skip.. for reasons, but execution is important; https://gfycat.com/IdealPossibleBigmouthbass

Post-mission stats: http://imgur.com/a/UoXHO

Huh, I choked out everyone and the game never gave me any kills, worked just fine

Top Bottom