• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Silly question... does the game have the loudspeaker announcements like the first game? I actually quite enjoyed them though when googling to see if they are in this one it seems I'm in the minority.

EmiPrime

I was going for a no kill run but I got an inexplicable death at some point during mission 2, then again I think in mission 3 then a clockwork soldier without its head killed 2 guards during mission 4 and I gave up on the idea of ever attempting it entirely. I think I would end up hating the game if I had to keep checking the log so not being directly responsible for deaths is good enough for me.

Also if I am choking a guard and get seen, the other guards shouldn't just shoot or stab the dude like they don't care. That really bothers me.

I've been reading reviews and a couple impressions, but am still on the fence. Should I get this game now, or just wait for sale? I'm wondering just how bad the performance issues dampen the experience.

towards the last 2 missions/levels i thought please just get it over with but it kept dragging on. i felt the same with Alien: Isolation.. fortunately i am done with the game and i will never see myself playing it a second time.

BashNasty

Reading all these impressions it seems like trying to go for a no kills play through is just annoying as fuck. Come on over to the dark side guys, it's so much more fun and hassle free over here!

Just beat mission 7 and holy shit was that cool. This game continues to be amazing. Every level is a gameplay playground.

Carm

11 hours played only just finished mission 2 early this morning. I missed 22 coins on mission 1 and like 700 on mission 2. No idea how I'm missing so many in 2, I think I've looked everywhere, have all the paintings, black market key etc. Only 2 guards not knocked out, don't see any citizens with money pouches, frustrating since I'd hate to leave all that coin behind.

Wanderer5

Reading all these impressions it seems like trying to go for a no kills play through is just annoying as fuck. Come on over to the dark side guys, it's so much more fun and hassle free over here!

Just beat mission 7 and holy shit was that cool. This game continues to be amazing. Every level is a gameplay playground.

Meh beside making sure to get by what are apparently bugs in least Chapter 5 and 7 I have no issues with non-lethal, and in fact with the amount of new stuff for that route, I definitely been pushing for a see how it goes mindset more than in the first game, unless it leads to a death, which has been very rare.

I can see ghost run being annoying, but non-lethal can be loads of fun.

AHA-Lambda

Here's how the Chapter 6 riddle works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rDVz_Fb6HQ

No, I know HOW to do it, that's exactly why I'm complaining.
I managed to get to a near complete picture of what the answer was from the riddle but it still wasn't working.

I tried for ages, gave up and then went and found the answer. But the answer given to me was completely at odds to the hints.
Most notably the position of one of the ladies (Natsiou) was outright stated in the riddle as being "on the far left" (i.e. the first) but was then shown in the answer to be 4th in the row. So any suppositions made from this point were all wrong.

Idk about anyone else here, but for me at least the puzzle was completely broken.

11 hours played only just finished mission 2 early this morning. I missed 22 coins on mission 1 and like 700 on mission 2. No idea how I'm missing so many in 2, I think I've looked everywhere, have all the paintings, black market key etc. Only 2 guards not knocked out, don't see any citizens with money pouches, frustrating since I'd hate to leave all that coin behind.

non-lethal and ghost is more enjoyable to me than just killing everyone

Stoze

I'm just going for low chaos and that's it. Mostly play non-lethal but if there's a chance for a lethal kill that's too fun to pass up I'll take it (usually ramming a guy off a ledge), and I don't fret about accidental kills. Going fully pacifist or ghost is asking for a lot of resets on your first playthrough.

Going through the Definitive Edition first. It's nice - albeit a little unforgiving on the stealth on harder difficulties but slowing down time and blinking behind an enemy for a quick assassination is satisfying as hell.

seph1roth

As a fan of Thief, played the original Dishonored game at full stealth playthrough.

Was a little bit dissapointed with the broken powers, Dishonored 1 was too easy even in hardest difficulty due to this, and that was one of the things that made me think about this sequel, seeing all this videos with all those kills, feeling like superman against ants, not a fan of it.

Later, i readed that you can refuse the Outsider powers at the begining of the game, that was the main thing that attracted me to this sequel.

But it has it's counterpart, can you explore the entire maps if you refuse the powers? Keep in mind that in Thief (for example), you can explore the entire maps if you have enough ropes, which are the limits in this game if you refuse to use the powers?

This is driving me crazy...

from what i've seen you can get to most places without powers by using conventional methods, but you miss some extra stuff if you don't have double jump or blink.

Just finished up my first playthrough with Emily (Low Chaos), and it definitely picks up around chapter 5 in my opinion. Charm crafting is a huge boon once you have the resources for it, though I never did end up finding a charm that let you choke out enemies more quickly.

The conclusion was a bit of a wet fart though. I can't help but feel like the story ended up being the video game version of filler.
You take out an opponent that was already killed in an earlier story, in order to restore things to the way they were at the start of the game. Emily has grown as a person, and the empire is certainly less corrupt, but there weren't any truly significant story moments that wowed me.

Spoilers:
This is straight up told to us in the (canon) novel that takes place between D1 and D2 actually, so good work!

The novel tells us that Wyman is secretly Dandelion from the Witcher franchise? Sounds like one hell of a book.

shiba5

If you're trying to get all the runes/paintings/blueprints/etc... the guide book has a mistake for the Edge of the World level. It says there are 3 paintings (actually 4) and 1 blueprint (actually 2). Both the missing ones are found right in the beginning in the dock area. I missed both of them my first time through even though I thought I explored everywhere.
I suspect I will find more mistakes.

shiba5

Just finished up my first playthrough with Emily (Low Chaos), and it definitely picks up around chapter 5 in my opinion. Charm crafting is a huge boon once you have the resources for it, though I never did end up finding a charm that let you choke out enemies more quickly.

The conclusion was a bit of a wet fart though. I can't help but feel like the story ended up being the video game version of filler.
You take out an opponent that was already killed in an earlier story, in order to restore things to the way they were at the start of the game. Emily has grown as a person, and the empire is certainly less corrupt, but there weren't any truly significant story moments that wowed me.

The novel tells us that Wyman is secretly Dandelion from the Witcher franchise? Sounds like one hell of a book.

I found the Strong Arms charm near the end of my first playthrough - ugh, seriously. So it exists. I don't think it's nearly as fast as the original though.

Tovarisc

If you're trying to get all the runes/paintings/blueprints/etc... the guide book has a mistake for the Edge of the World level. It says there are 3 paintings (actually 4) and 1 blueprint (actually 2). Both the missing ones are found right in the beginning in the dock area. I missed both of them my first time through even though I thought I explored everywhere.
I suspect I will find more mistakes.

Prima Games guide for Dishonored 2 is very shallow and poor guide. No maps, poorly explains routing, doesn't utilize best routes for certain missions, doesn't list all collectibles on maps etc.

shiba5

Prima Games guide for Dishonored 2 is very shallow and poor guide. No maps, poorly explains routing, doesn't utilize best routes for certain missions, doesn't list all collectibles on maps etc.

You're right. It has a map for Dunwall but not Karnaca... derp?

Tovarisc

Wat

The was the entire level lmao.

Where there goes Chapter 6...

Didn't get Ghost or Merciful though lol.

There's always the Corvo playthrough. Or a secondary playthrough.

Yep, you just skipped whole Mission. You should go back with earlier save or do 2nd playthrough. That mission has a lot cool stuff going on.

Will do Tovarisc.

I'm pretty good at riddles/puzzles so it's my own fault for deciding to tackle it head on.

I'll revisit the level for sure but I'm gonna roll with this lethal Emily playthrough.

The amount of ways you can transverse/get to your destination is fantastic.

JCizzle

So is lethal fine for this game or am I fucked? I read a post earlier that seemed to imply that it fucked the narrative up. Don't really have the patience for non lethal lol

Tovarisc

So is lethal fine for this game or am I fucked? I read a post earlier that seemed to imply that it fucked the narrative up. Don't really have the patience for non lethal lol

Games ending depends on if you are Low or High Chaos. Going for killing sprees do result in High Chaos, which is considered bad route / bad ending.

The Flash

Banned
Think I'm about to wrap it up here in a bit. Overall I think it's a great game but I can't help but feel that it's missing some of the charm from the first game. The majority of Dishonored 1's charm comes from your interactions with the NPCs at the Hound Pits Pub. The Dreadful Wale just doesn't do that. Small nitpick but it is what it is.

Man, somehow I was spotted and didn't notice and now all my auto saves and quick saves are after I got spotted. Fucking hell.

Same thing happened to me. Still no idea when it happened. It was kind of liberating to me honestly, I've been enjoying the game more now that I don't care so much about being spotted, still going non lethal though.

Also, I'm like 7.5 hours in and only on mission 4. Spending a lot of time exploring the levels.

Wanderer5

Chapter 6 has a really nice layout, that I should probably be exploring more before I dive deeper into the next one heh (put aside some spare slots).
I helped the overseers, but it probably the most fun of going through both groups without helping either. How much does choosing either groups or just finding out the answer yourself affects the ending and all?

Also robbing black market stores continues to be amusingly fun heh.

Satch

Banned
i cant wait to see that StealthGamerBR guy when he learns how to play Emily

her Far Reach can launch you past your destination and I want to see how he uses it. i almost tossed myself off a roof to my death once while trying to be fancy with it lol

something about her far reach just feels so much more rewarding than corvo's blink. i think it's the risk. i alerted an entire room of enemies once because i used it while trying to go past an open glass door. i destroyed it as i traveled from point A to point B and man if you could have seen the look on my face after every enemy got the red ! over their heads on my screen. it was a disaster, but im more careful now

So, the Chapter 8 black market events...

Is there a time limit at play here, or is the game deliberately fucking with me by pulling the rug out each time I think I've got it via script? Like, first I get the boat key, but the Grand Guard raided it. Then I got the shop code, but I came back to a dead shopkeeper, with no idea what to do now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Outside of the really fucking frustrating performance/input issues, I think the only real grievances I have with this game on a design/tech is the sensitivity of AI feedback to your presence and the sound design. I'm playing on hard and I like a challenge, but man sometimes does it feel like the AI is just so insanely perceptive, particularly how quickly and readily they can enter an alert state in close proximity from the slightest glance. It's manageable though. The other grievance is the sound engine. The position seems mostly fine so I don't have too much trouble hearing where an NPC is relative to me, but typical of an id Tech 5 game the filtering through walls/layers and audio mixing is atrocious. Super loud ambient dialogue at all the wrong times, through walls. It's so bad and so consistent with this sack of shit engine.

3.5hrs in on Xbox One and I just finished chapter 3. This is one of my favorite games of the year. Everything about the gameplay and style is excellent. I am a little bit bummed by the performance and overall sharpness of the graphics, but the game itself is just awesome. Have they mentioned anything about updating performance on consoles?

Also, I've read here and there about some people having input lag issues. My opinion is that it's microscopic. I played through ROTR and was thrown off by it, but DH2 is atomic compared to TR.

Wanderer5

The other grievance is the sound engine. The position seems mostly fine so I don't have too much trouble hearing where an NPC is relative to me, but typical of an id Tech 5 game the filtering through walls/layers and audio mixing is atrocious. Super loud ambient dialogue at all the wrong times, through walls. It's so bad and so consistent with this sack of shit engine.

Yeah I been noticing that too. There at times when a enemy is looking around for you a bit, their voice can still sound like they are just around the corner even when you are a few floors above/below or such.

So it a id tech 5 thing eh?

Top Bottom